• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Final Fantasy discussion thread III: Riding the Eternal Wind

Nah, knowing Zack he'd be happy on some side no matter what he would say, seeing someone that is able to be with Aerith and seeing his friend being healed from all the crap befalling him.

the completion over glorify a lot of stuff from the original VII tbh, Cloud x Tifa being one of them.

It tries to sell you hard that they were close childhood friends when Cloud was a loner who didn't have anyone beside his mom so the concept of "childhood friends" doesn't exist because Cloud never had friends to begin with, which is why he's socially awkward as well.

Like you said, the original game made it seems like Tifa was in love with the idea of "Knight in shining armor" saving her than Cloud himself which is ironic, because throughout majority of the game Tifa was the one who looked after him and tried to protect him even when he was in a coma.

ZackxCissnei would be great IMO She even went and meet his parents and they asked her to be his ladywife.

That's what makes me wonder if that was retconned or not and my issue with it. Playing too much with tragedy and drama, but not really balancing it out with good moments or joyful memories to give it weight. A lot of Cloud and Tifa's relationship seems to take hold on the childhood friends aspect to make it seem Tifa was always there for Cloud and their feelings have been pure and genuine since forever, but if you take that... for the lack of a better word... "excuse" away, Tifa becomes slavishly devoted to a guy she never knew and her interest in Cloud is based on her own projections and dreams on him, while Cloud only started showing open affection for Tifa after Aerith died and Tifa saved him. Granted their big moments together and the way they stuck together through thick and thin is pretty meaningful, but all the small steps and development to explain why they have this huge devotion to each other can feel baseless.

@Lancelot: Yup, Zack is too awesome to be held down by his tragedy, he'd squat it off and keep moving.

> Tifa becomes slavishly devoted to a guy she never knew and her interest in Cloud is based on her own projections and dreams on him

She's based on Nimura's perfect waifu image, which is utterly devoted and loyal for you. This is also the perfect waifu for many weebs and otakus right? Tifa is so supportive and devoted to Cloud to unbrevial extent which is actually what most men wish for anywa.

I meant it more in the context when you take away the childhood friends angle. I believe the idea was that Tifa and Cloud contrasted Aerith in that their relationship was a more "grounded" one, one with problems, issues and complications that both managed to work out, but lacked the development to justify that in particular. I do consider Tifa this motherly sweet girl with a huge heart, taking care of the group that had such a special place for Cloud that she endured a lot to save him. But it's kinda botched when you get more critical about it and see there was little development for them to care for each other so much until the big moments already hit which played them as the closest to each other, she never got to know Cloud that well as a kid, Zackloud was a distant jerk overall that showed ocassional concern for her, when End-Game Cloud finally got scenes with her they were incredibly sweet, but were played as the culmination of the long journey of the couple, then came Geostigma Cloud who isolated from everyone altogether.

This is what makes Tifa go from "aw, she'll go to the ends of earth for the person she loves" to "why is she putting herself through so much for that person?"

I still don't recall Cloud ever living to the "Knight in shining armor" for Tifa though since he was too wrapped up in this Jenova mess and she was the one looking for him instead so the whole Hero thing was neglected fast.

I guess it's supposed to play into the idea of Cloud's mother wanting for him a "older girl" so can look after him, Tifa despite younger than Cloud age speaking fit that bell perfectly.

Overall I think the potray of their relatipship was pretty good for a late 90's JRPG game they just need to work a bit more on their background.

Tifa is pretty darn reliable when you think about it. And amusingly she does refer to Cloud as blonde knight as shining armor in an email he sent to Zack, so yup girl likes dem blode spiky bois.

I guess it could be read how Cloud didn't have to live up to ideals and just be who he was and that's the person Tifa genuinely loved... Dunno, it's a more optimistic interpretation, as working for each other was what allowed them to get through in the end.

Yeah... >_< ... Guess I am being too critical regarding the development, the game was a big step forward regarding what was common to see back in the day (most couples were established by one or two romantic scenes and the narration telling us they were together =P). And thinking about it... there's also the possibility many developments were cut in pre-release material and things were changed for one reason and another.

Gotta love how they made it seems "Cloud save her" when he reached her after she get cut by Sephy. Now I think about it both of his love interested got drilled by Sephy along with his mother

Cloud sure has a bone to pick with this man lol

Cloud being Tifa's hero is a big joke though.

He wasn't there when Sephy almost killed her

He wasn't there when she almost got executed

He didn't save her when she fell into the life-stream "she saved him lol"

He also wasn't there when she got wreckd by Loz.

Shit he let her get killed even in the ******* Dead Fantasy fanmade movies LMAO.

Then all of the X cast needs Death Manip....actually they're missing alot. Especially Yuna and Rikku, they have literally nothing from X-2 on their profiles. So I'll make a mass CRT after my playthrough.

So can noctis scall to Garuda (final fantasy xiv) since that crossover can be considered Canon because noctis Did that quest during his travels before going to see Luna I mean other profiles on this site consideres certain abilities Canon even if it's via DLC and still follows continuation of the stories and the quest A strange visitor from an other world is considered kind of Canon.

@Hst: That would be of a huge help, believe me.

@Ashen: I guess simply because nobody has fully tackled XIV yet, especially given it's an MMORPG with lots of side materials and going through the story requires a lot more than a single player one. It is a huge task, so I guess it has been put on hold while other FFs are done.

Noctis wouldn't scale with Garuda since her power level varies greatly depending on how much aether is used to summon her. Since we don't know how much aether she has her power is unknown.

As much as I want to make a Warrior of Light and Darkness (FFXIV) profile, it would take a long time to make, especially since he has a wall of hax and would require several keys.

A key for every big expansion, and tabs for each and every single class and their abilities, plus resistances.

It is likewise one of the FF profiles that most interest me but it would need a lot of shit done just to properly grade each stage of growth and account for all their powers.

For Garuda.

Isn't that what the crystals are for to provide Aether? And doesn't she inherently absorb Aether from her surroundings?

The stats are the easier part. Its finding out how to properly implement their 200+ abilities without making it look like a mess is the hard part.

All Primals are summoned using aether crystals yes. They all also have the ability to passively drain the aether from the world around them. That's why Primals are ordered to be hunted on sight as any Primal can potentially drain the world dry if left alive too long. This is why its too difficult to determine exactly how strong they are as their power is determined solely by their aether. And the amount of aether used for summoning are random each time.

General statements and any feats they pull are the only guide as far as putting a nunber on the Primals. But I don't really think the bigger chunk of the protagonist abilities is gonna be an issue - is more or less the class skills. The problem are any abilities or stuff that happen in story.

Congrats Zephyr XD

I already beat FFXIV some time ago so I'm familiar with what abilities he uses in the story. The only story related quests I didn't beat are some of the job quests.

Here is the Warrior of Light's stats based of feats in game that I remember:

ARR: At Least 5-A (Fought Omega Weapon who adsorbed the power of Ifrit, Titan, and Garuda)

Post-ARR: 2-C (Defeated the Cloud of Darkness in the Void)

HW: 2-C (Significantly stronger than before. Killed the Knights of the Round Table as well as Nidhogg)

Post-HW: 2-C (Defeated Arbert, who is his counterpart, along with the Warriors of Darkness. Killed Hollow Diabolos who's power is stated to rival that of the Cloud of Darkness)

SB: At least 2-C (Eventually matched Zenos vae Galvus who completely stomped him several times early in the story. Defeated Zenos after he fused with Shinryu)

Post-SB: 2-A (Killed a replica of Neo Exdeath who is stronger than the original. Won against Midgarsormr Prime whom Omega couldn't beat in his base form. Managed to defeat Final Omega who is significantly stronger than its M/F transformation that is much stronger than his base form)

Shb: 2-A (Significantly stronger than before. Defeated Emet-Selch after fusing with Arbert, whom he stood no chance of beating beforehand)

Warrior of light is broken as **** he's considered the strongest protagonist of all FF franchises for a reason. Also I'm gonna riot if we don't use Derplander as the warrior of light representative.

AshenCrow777 said:
Warrior of light is broken as **** he's considered the strongest protagonist of all FF franchises for a reason. Also I'm gonna riot if we don't use Derplander as the warrior of light representative.
After a gazillion expansions you'd expect no less.

I don't complain, happy we have our own broken character.

Too bad we don't seem to have a hardcore concept, law reality warper or something similar. Or perhaps XIII with its time travel mumbo jumbo can help in that regard

TartaChocholate said:
Too bad we don't seem to have a hardcore concept, law reality warper or something similar. Or perhaps XIII with its time travel mumbo jumbo can help in that regard
Don't worry, I'm playing through all the final fantasies. It exists, I just have to find it.

Can I ask what is the point of the "note" on Cloud's profile? I really don't see how this make it any different than the "Mental battle" Cloud had with Sephy.

When a character is from a 1000+ hour game, they're kinda obligated to be broken.

AP aside, WoL has some pretty broken abilities. He has the Echo which gives him precognition hax that surpasses Alexander who is an acasual being that can see every possible timeline past, present and future. At the end of Shadowbringers, we see WoL learning how to use creation magic which allows him to create concepts based off his imagination.

TartaChocholate said:

Actually he does via other job classes

Without Maiden the exact nature of their battle is pretty vague: the most common explanation is that they aren't properly fighting, more like Sephiroth tried one last time to take control of Cloud's mind but Cloud's will had become strong enough to resist and kick out Sephiroth's influence forever, which is represented by the scripted battle.

Aside that, with the use of Maiden a lot of abilities were added and abilities were buffed, and Maiden's canonicity is still subject to debate on some circles until today given it hasn't been properly acknowledged nor denied by word of god. It just explains the current stance after discussing it with other members regarding its use.

@Zephyros: Well, let's see what comes up. I am pretty bad with tiering when dimensional stuff is involved so I probably missed important stuff >_>

The XIV WoL profile looks in good first steps, the issue is gonna be to organize his funkaton abilities and lore related explanations.

Back