• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fan Theory about Ditto in the profile

Executor_N0

VS Battles
Calculation Group
In Ditto's profile, it is said " However, the ceiling tier of Ditto should limit to the tier of Mew is 5-B, which is stated to be the original species of Ditto."

Okay, Ditto being a failed Mew's clone is a widely know fan theory that uses a lot of convincing arguments.

But, It's still just another theory and was never made really canon, in fact the very staff from GF already said that this isn't true, and was never their intent:

There is a rumor that in the original Pokémon games, versions Red and Blue, that the Pokémon Ditto was a failed attempt at cloning a Mew. I was wondering if you could speak to this, to whether or not it's true.

Masuda
: That's the first time I have ever hear that rumor actually.

Is that your only answer?

Masuda
: In terms of how Pokémon are designed, they are each their own unique living being. The unique thing about Ditto is that it's a Pokémon that can change forms, but each Pokémon we create with its own unique element, so we just make sure that they are all individual life forms of their own.

Source:https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/07/13/pok-233-mon-39-s-burning-questions.aspx

TL;DR Ditto being a flawed Mew clone is just a fan theory. Despite having convincing arguments, it was never really revealed to be true and when the GF itself had the opportunity to talk about it, they denied it.

The note might be referring to the statements of Mew being the origin of all Pokémon (at least as of gen I) rather than to that theory.

Assuming this likely goes through, would we just change the justification to:

"However, the ceiling tier of Ditto should limit to the tier of Mew, who is 5-B, possesses Ditto's DNA and is stated to be the origin of all Pokemon."

?

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Assuming this likely goes through, would we just change the justification to:
"However, the ceiling tier of Ditto should limit to the tier of Mew, who is 5-B, possesses Ditto's DNA and is stated to be the origin of all Pokemon."

?
^

I'm not sure I understand why Mew being Ditto's ancestor and possessing its DNA would let Ditto transform into him?

It's worth noting certain Ditto are much better than others at transforming. Some keep their face no matter what they turn into, some can't get any bigger, and some perfectly replicate what they transform into.

That's fine because that's true for basically any species being better at something than others in it, but Ditto's Transformation should still be presumably downgraded. The idea it goes up to Mew is pretty unsupported, and the only instance we have of one trying to mimic a Legendary is where it failed to match its power convincingly. That Ditto might not be the top Ditto of all of them, but it seems much more logical that it can't match Legendaries.

Oh I know, and I agree, I just brought that up in case we do find showings of a Ditto transforming into a legendary successfully

Back