• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fairy Tail 100YQ - Speed Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, the reason for this downgrade is quite straightforward... since the official translation came out.

The Haku' statement regarding the speed of his White-Tiger Dragon mode got officially translated into: "The White-Tiger Dragon is astoundingly fast. Yea... almost as fast as light, in fact." Meaning he didn't achieved true lighspeed.

This would also support that, back on the days, the chapter's raws got the statement as potentially metaphorical due to the usage of tatoe and tatoerareru:

======================================================================

The 1st thing i'd like to discuss is the fact that this Haku statement is at 100% not literal.

The wording たとえる is a comparative. And can be used in metaphorical ones. Like: ''Hot as hell''

In this case Haku is saying: "it's fast like light" ... and it's used in a metaphorical context.

Tatoe is not literal. It's used as example in the figurative/metaphorical stances. Simple as that... and once again we've got another point against LS Haku.

Shortly --- Tatoe are methaporical examples.

Quite fast... but that's not over yet. Let's jump on the 3rd part of my thread.

Worthy to say that Haku says '
'Tatoerareru'', which is ONLY used in metaphors.

Notice how they are ALL metaphors or similes ^ Here's the link with Haku's hiraganas showing it is not literal.

None of them are actually literal comparisons, as in, setting something equal or above something else.

No Caption Provided

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

The sentence being metaphorical hence not literal would also be supported by Haku's beaviours:​

I think you've figured out that Haku is a child. He literally is a child, talks like a child and acts like a child.

His manners are also quite dumb, just like a child. Like playing like a tiger:

- "Rawr! Rawr! I'm a white tiger! Rawr" and so on...

So basing on Haku's childish behaviours... the behaviours of a little kid... would you really take his words 100% seriously?

And yup, he was acting like a child for most of the times he appeared in the panels, especially imediately before and right after attacking Wendy.

Haku was playing to be a tiger for the whole fight, just like a common child.

=======================================================================================

What does this changes?

• Haku should be downgraded to Relativistic.

• This speed revision would obviously downgrade all the people who scales from Haku WTD speed statement, like: Suzaku, Misaki, Kirin, Dogramag and Selene.

Agree ->

Disagree ->

Last edited:
You can see the raws here

Yup, just like i adressed in the op.

The LS-statement has たとえる on it, which is a comparative. And can be used in metaphorical sentences.

Also i see you didn't mention the official translation confirming Haku WTD was not going LS. He was almost LS, which would basically confirm the raws being metaphorical hence not truly LS.

OP, ya really need to lay off the FT downgrade threads. Your hate boner is becoming apparent.

Yet another argument that has already been debunked 😑

The kanji has already been fact checked by someone who knows the language, and it’s said Haku is comparable to light speed, so yeah… Another redundant thread

Is this "someone who knows the language" the official translator of FT100YQ or a manga-translator? Because i would rather go with the official one...

If you look at what i posted i've got the help of a person that knows the japanese language aswell and he/she found out that the sentence has a comparative (たとえる) that is used in metaphorical ones.

Is this "someone who knows the language" the official translator of FT100YQ or a manga-translator? Because i would rather go with the official one...

If you look at what i posted i've got the help of a person that knows the japanese language aswell and he/she found out that the sentence has a comparative (たとえる) that is used in metaphorical ones.
There was heavy debate over Haku’s statement and its exact meaning, which led to many arguments, so we were forced to look to the original kanji and figure out what specifically is being said, and my translator does know the language and went out of their way to say that it isn’t meant to be metaphorical, it’s just as it is that Haku is comparable to light and I trust this guy above all others, so yeah

Again, just because it can be used metaphorically, doesn't mean it is in this case.

"It can be metaph." in the very most of the times, as i have shown in the op.

And since even the official translation does not have it as "comparable/as fast to the speed of light" but it does have it as "almost as fast as light"... this would be quite evident that it is not LS.

The official translation used before the volume released had this statement as Haku being as fast as light so...

Personally since the thing being compared is something measurable and exact, not a vague statement like 'hot as hell', it being just a metaphor seems hard to prove.

I don't think 'I'm as fast as light' and 'that's hot as hell' are comparable statements. That's just my two cents, so mark me down for disagree, since you can't say without a shadow of a doubt it is metaphorical.

"It can be metaph." in the very most of the times, as i have shown in the op.

And since even the official translation does not have it as "comparable/as fast to the speed of light" but it does have it as "almost as fast as light"... this would be quite evident that it is not LS.
Well no, the exact wording is pretty wrong in the translation here. The kanji just says Haku is comparable to light, the english doesn’t say this by saying almost as fast as light

There was heavy debate over Haku’s statement and its exact meaning, which led to many arguments, so we were forced to look to the original kanji and figure out what specifically is being said, and my translator does know the language and went out of their way to say that it isn’t meant to be metaphorical, it’s just as it is that Haku is comparable to light and I trust this guy above all others, so yeah

Interesting.
So your personal translator (that if i understand correctly is not an official translator) has more decision power than the official 100YQ one or any other translator? Even if evidences of him being wrong have been brought to the table from both sides? Mind you if i add more evidences later on?

Disagree w/ thread, agree with Mitch and Clover
Interesting.
So your personal translator (that if i understand correctly is not an official translator) has more decision power than the official 100YQ one or any other translator? Even if evidences of him being wrong have been brought to the table from both sides? Mind you if i add more evidences later on?
On our own website yes if it's fact checked to be more accurate by somebody who translates for the wiki

Interesting.
Dude we literally have a translation thread with a bunch of translators who help with stuff like this.

Would you say their translations are false as well?

Interesting.
When it comes to the original kanji yes… My translator is just telling me the original kanji says specifically. There have been many times when the official translator chooses a slight change of wording in the actual statement. This doesn’t make the translation wrong, they just usually mix around the words that changes the context slightly in english, so sometimes we have to dig deeper and understand the actual meaning and structure behind the words. Like when Mercphobia was said to be at half power, the english said that he still had his full power, but just hasn’t used it, when the Original Kanji clarified that he ONLY had Half Power

This also isn’t the same case as the translator notes, because if there a translator note directly explaining this statement, we wouldn’t have had to look deeper to begin with

Doing it for the sake of spite can be reportworthy actually.
I remember a dude was banned for creating an spite CRT

Doing it for the fact that the official volume came out and it has the sentence has not-LS alongside with old evidences from the raws that supports it being a comparative used on methaphorical statements.

I'm going to provide more evidences hopefully during the day btw.

Doing it for the fact that the official volume came out and it has the sentence has not-LS alongside with old evidences from the raws that supports it being a comparative used on methaphorical statements.

I'm going to provide more evidences hopefully during the day btw.
Sure..

"My translator is a trusted and legitimate source."
The actual translator:
Homeless_man%2C_Tokyo%2C_2008.jpg

Would you believe more in "someone on the web" or someone supported by Kodansha that translates the official japanese volume as his job?
I would trust MY FRIEND who’s a big ass nerd that studied the language extensively and I know on a personal level has translated countless statements accurately yes…

I know this has a reached a level of “My translator is better”, but at this point, I trust my friend above you

Would you believe more in "someone on the web" or someone supported by Kodansha that translates the official japanese volume as his job?
Somebody on a website who has translated for us time and time again who has shown us his credentials and explains every mark in the sentence who can double check context or somebody we don't know that we can't check the credentials of who we have no idea the thought process of translations who needs to translate on the clock

Stop trying to make this "who is more right", it's what does the term say, and if it blatantly says nothing about "almost", then that assumption is out of the window

All cause he's a random to you doesn't make him a random to the site

Probably someone on the web unless you think Zoro's name is actually Zolo. Sometimes even the official translations aren't accurate, hence why most of the time we take the raw statements as priority over the English translations.

Translations are also commonly lost / riddled with errors.

To quote the movie Tommy Boy.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it."

Official translations can be wrong and have been demonstrably wrong before. While official translations might take precedent, if they are wrong then they simply just cant be used over what the original meaning is.

Last edited:
I'm not even gonna get into when Black Clover's official translations named Grey's magic "Fortification Magic" and VIZ got slammed by the fanbase until they changed it to the intended "Transmutation Magic"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back