• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fairy Tail 100YQ - Speed Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or all the statements on the wiki that needed to be retranslated in order to get official multipliers

@Valrhavn

It's a tricky sitiuation, but sometimes the english translator is right and explains the full context and sometimes a translator is blatantly wrong and doesn't explain why he chose the words he did at all. It's a delicate game of research that makes it hard to know what exactly is being said sometimes. Which is why sometimes we have to dig deeper. It's a very normal thing on this site as many translations are brought forth for many statements, we have to constantly fact check what is being said and whether or not it's legit and isn't contradicted. To me, this is very normal, but to some new users, how the site works can seem unforgiving and cruel. It's just that this topic and the previous CRT you have brought up before were already dealt with and handled.

This Haku one has been repeated several times, so it just gets tiring to say the same stuff over and over again sometimes. It's nothing personal.

I don't have any stake in this and I can't speak for the actual translation differences, but just throwing it out there if there is an equally likely chance that the statement could be metaphorical as there is it being literal, then wouldn't using "Likely Lightspeed" be a fair compromise over a solid rating?

If it is a lot less likely to be metaphorical though, then fair enough and I won't argue either way about it.

never watched FT because the MC seems cringe but VIZ doesn't have the best reputation as translators and they're "official" so your best shot at finding accurate translations is to beg and cry find a friend whose first language is japanese and ask him to translate

basically official vs fan trasnlation isn't getting this argument anywhere

The comment is very much not metaphorical, Haku says his speed can be compared to light, and the kanji for light means literal light, not light as in a conceptual way, he literally means that his speed is comparable to the speed of light

This also isn’t too far fetched as Haku essentially blitzes this off guard Wendy, who is far above Baseline Relativistic at this point

But we’ve been over this point many times before and 4 staff agree with me at this point, so I think we can close this at this point

This has already been addressed. The raws say his speed is comparable to the speed of light
The comment is very much not metaphorical, Haku says his speed can be compared to light, and the kanji for light means literal light, not light as in a conceptual way, he literally means that his speed is comparable to the speed of light

This also isn’t too far fetched as Haku essentially blitzes this off guard Wendy, who is far above Baseline Relativistic at this point

But we’ve been over this point many times before and 4 staff agree with me at this point, so I think we can close this at this point
Do you guys think we need to make a discussion rule for this as well?

For me who is keen and inspired by Japanese language, the raws do actually say Haku is comparable to light speed. I myself even translated that line.

Like I said before, no matter how well you would know Japanese and English, the translations are never perfect. Which is why Japanese is one of the hardest languages to learn. It is all about the meaning behind the language, not the words itself. So no, even with officials, they can get it wrong too. But at least the meaning behind it is somewhat correct, but not exactly.

Anyways, disagree with the OP.

I know this comment is very late, but there's no reason for this thread to still be open. @Valrhavn is known to have a FT (well, Mashima in general tbh) hateboner on ComicVine, though he uses the name MirioTogata on that website. Y'all caught on to his bias but here's some proof:

1) Constant Ragna vs FT threads whether other users claim that it's made with spite + he argues for sub-mountain level Dragon Gods and directs troll comments at the "FT fandom," verbatim from his comments. This user is also a very big Ragna fan as seen on his profile.

2) Big Kishimoto fan as seen by their activity on their VSBattles profile and on ComicVine (look at MirioTogata's comments).

3) Mirio and Valrhavn both have an unhealthy obsession with downgrading Fairy Tail's speed. As if this thread wasn't proof enough, here's overwhelming proof given this user's activity on CV (look for his comments/posts):

One

Two

This thread he made is a literal copy and paste of his original ComicVine one.

More comments from him.

And the final one I'll post because I think this is more than enough.

There's way too much evidence, this user clearly doesn't know how to hide his online presence (if that's what he intended to do).

This is not the place to post such a thing. If this is worthy of a report, go to the Rules Violations Reports Thread (though I'm not sure how much of a rule violation this is since a lot of this is off-site stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back