• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about our upcoming forum migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not quite yet, but we are preparing for it.

Antvasima said:
Yes. If blogs were made into wiki pages they would interfere with regular search results, and it wouldn't be possible to leave comments/evaluations.
This is a problem for a lot of subpage suggestions people have given. Apparently Fandom is working on improvements to the search bar which should let us make certain pages not appear in search results, but that may not be around for a while.

Just hiding them in search results won't save this idea for the second reason you mentioned, but it could work for similar ideas involving splitting pages or adding subpages.

Sooo what's a rough guesstimate of when the email invites will be sent out? Is it still "unknown?" If so that's fine, just thought I would ask.

Yes, first the conversion process to the XenForo format will take 5-10 days, which I am uncertain what date it started; then the files have to be installed, all settings checked, and me and Promestein have to help verify that there are no oddities in the forums; and there might be a few other tasks as well. And then the invitation email messages will be sent out, likely first to the wiki staff as an initial test that it works properly.

In other words, we should all expect the emails to come around the end of April or the beginning of May at the latest. And this is accounting for any unforeseen mishaps in the conversion process. Though this is a guesstimate on my part, and may very well be wrong.

Probably, yes. The Fandom staff has told me that they will give us as much time to complete the process as possible.

Antvasima said:
Yes, first the conversion process to the XenForo format will take 5-10 days, which I am uncertain what date it started; then the files have to be installed, all settings checked, and me and Promestein have to help verify that there are no oddities in the forums; and there might be a few other tasks as well. And then the invitation email messages will be sent out, likely first to the wiki staff as an initial test that it works properly.
Okay, thank you for the info :)

@Crimson Shadow101

Me as well.

@Goodyfresh

No problem.

Testing. When are the Fandom forums exactly going to be nuked?

Probably when we're done transferring. I remember that they were initially going to be nuked way earlier but it was pushed back so we had time to transfer over.

Forums will be merged into Discussions, I assume that most links to the forums (which can't be edited by us to redirect to the off-site forums) would be removed by Fandom.

Oh no, as far I'm aware, removing them from profiles will have to be done manually, if they don't just redirect to the Discussions variant.

Those are the ones that would be redirected by us. I'm talking about stuff like Special:Forum, an option under the "Explore" dropdown which I don't think can be edited by wiki staff.

I think that the links will redirect to Discussions initially. Then we will start a big revision project to update them to the new forum instead.

Joaco0902 said:
Agnaa said:
Forums will be merged into Discussions, I assume that most links to the forums (which can't be edited by us to redirect to the off-site forums) would be removed by Fandom.
I legit didn't know that discussions were a thing.
(glanced at the contents of the "discussions") No wonder Ant wishes to move VBW and the sister sites to XenForo.

No. After the forum backup files have been converted and installed we have various other preparations tasks to take care of.

For example, I will soon get lists of all the members who do not have a confirmed email address and of all the ones that have completely disallowed emails from Fandom. That makes over 200 members in sum total that I will likely have to contact via their message walls about updating their user settings.

Antvasima said:
No. After the forum backup files have been converted and installed we have various other preparations tasks to take care of.
For example, I will soon get lists of all the members who do not have a confirmed email address and of all the ones that have completely disallowed emails from Fandom. That makes over 200 members in sum total that I will likely have to contact via their message walls about updating their user settings.
200 members...

i have been a member since 2015 and even until now, i alway surprise about your devotion to this wiki, despite the fact that you wont get anything from it. You have deepest my respect, Ant. We was able to enjoy this forum is because you and the staffs members work hard on it. Hope the new forum will be at least fun as this. Btw, do we still have the " Forum's recent activities" function ? :v it's hard to track forum's activities without it

@Planck69

No problem.

@MagiSinbad

Well, the work here gives me something meaningful to do, and I hope that I will get a small salary via the new forum, but I do not know yet.

Anyway, according to what I have been told, there are 47 members without a confirmed email, so I will definitely have to contact them, but the 160 members who have entirely disallowed emails from Fandom are a maybe case. It depends on whether or not Fandom can legally send them invitations anyway.

Also, you will be able to see the threads with the latest replies in the various forums in chronological order, much like here or in the Narutoforums, but I do not think that there is anything like the recent changes list here. XenForo is possible to customise a lot though, so maybe we can get one later. However, it is uncertain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back