• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about our upcoming forum migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Just to get a confirmation, threads that have been made before today have/will get copied over right?
Yes, that is correct. The backups happened yesterday.

Agnaa is correct about the rest. Thank you for helping out.

I feel like we should only have one migration information thread running with all the info, instead of two. A lot of questions and answers are common and redundant.

Well, I personally don't mind, as the first thread went more in-depth regarding how to properly set up the personal email preferences. In addition, at this point it is better if everybody read through both of them, as a lot of questions have been answered within each, and it would take a lot of time to set up a new thread with both all previous instructions and a long list of "Common questions and answers" encompassing every single one that I have answered so far.

Also, it should be mentioned that users are currently locked out of their own blogs. I don't know if there's a quick way to fix this, but I feel like it was not intentional.

Administrators can still copy-paste modifications into existing blog calculations if it is necessary. We just don't want to deal with an enormous backlog of new calculation blogs at once when we open up the wiki.

Anyway, I have now been told that the conversion process of the forum backups from April 15 will take 5-10 days starting very soon, and after that Community Hired will install them and make sure that everything works properly with help from me and Promestein.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Normal users can't edit profiles and blogs right now to reduce staff workload. But nothing will be happening to their functionality because of this move.

This move is purely for migrating the forums and those alone. Profiles and blogs will be left intact. They're just being locked so staff don't have to monitor their edits.

Well, I think that it is more convenient to handle all forms of discussions for wiki revisions in the same place, especially if we can get notifications for blog replies there, and given all of the ongoing revisions in Fandom, I am not certain if the blog format will continue to be supported forever.

In addition, it definitely wouldn't hurt to get some extra revenue so we can continue to pay for the new forum in the long run.

However, we definitely won't transfer the blogs yet. It is just a possibility for the future.

Antvasima said:
Well, I think that it is more convenient to handle all forms of discussions for wiki revisions in the same place, especially if we can get notifications for blog replies there, and given all of the ongoing revisions in Fandom, I am not certain if the blog format will continue to be supported forever.
In addition, it definitely wouldn't hurt to get some extra revenue so we can continue to pay for the new forum in the long run.

However, we definitely won't transfer the blogs yet. It is just a possibility for the future.
In that case there needs to be a way to also transport the comments in the blog that approve of calculations, otherwise the entire purpose of moving the blogs in the future will be rendered moot.

Though in my honest opinion, there's no need to do anything to the blogs as long as Fandom still keeps using them since they still work fine as is. We can start worrying when the day comes where Fandom axes blogs.

Yes, the comment sections would have to be moved as well.

I do hope that the new forum site won't delete the blog comments when someone changes their username. That'd be a big bummer, like in the case of Amelia's blogs. Which is why I dare not go anywhere near the "CHANGE USERNAME" section.

I still think blog explanation pages should be made into wiki pages, but I guess that's just me.

IDK, I have mixed feelings about blog explanation pages being actual wiki pages on their own.

What's this about blogs being moved? I mean, easy access is nice. But I'm also a bit worried that posting on the Xenforo Forum probably won't add to edit count here. Because I like being the 11th biggest contributor and more and it be awesome to be the 9th person to reach 50K edits.

Yes. If blogs were made into wiki pages they would interfere with regular search results, and it wouldn't be possible to leave comments/evaluations.

As for the edit counts, they will unfortunately likely have all the ones from forum posts moved to a separate counter after the Fandom system update, as that is what Discussions uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back