• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Expanding the References for Common Feats page

That's... kinda what I said. To use 90 degrees.

Shortcut way is to just convert the degree value to rad, then multiply the rad value with the portion of the arm that moved in that angle.

Also, it's not 0.3 m, it's 0.365. 0.73/2 is 0.365.
See.

While I get the calc maker wants to substitute the projectile movement distance with the length of the projectile itself, ... I am a bit against it.

If the projectile is moving towards the character involved and the character involved caught it, should we not consider them moving from a standard distance towards the user instead?

This (using projectile length to estimate projectile moving distance) can inflate the reaction speed of the said character by reducing the size or length of the projectile instead of how fast the projectile actually is.

I suggest just use a standard distance, say 5 meters, as projectile distance from character.

I am preparing for my work day tomorrow so I am sleeping soon.

See.

While I get the calc maker wants to substitute the projectile movement distance with the length of the projectile itself, ... I am a bit against it.

If the projectile is moving towards the character involved and the character involved caught it, should we not consider them moving from a standard distance towards the user instead?

This (using projectile length to estimate projectile moving distance) can inflate the reaction speed of the said character by reducing the size or length of the projectile instead of how fast the projectile actually is.
I'm guessing the standard distance would be upper arm length then.

Because like I said, if we assume arrow bolt length, it's simply too far away for the character to actually get a grip on and it might end horribly, because consider this, your shoulder-to-elbow length isn't exactly great, and if you bend your lower arm in a 90 degree arc, that arm is now lined up with the elbow and it's not extended far enough to be able to properly grab the arrow without it slipping and cutting your hand badly and causing you to lose grip anyway and get killed for nothing.

So assuming that the bolt is about an upper arm's length distance away from the character as a baseline right before the grabbing initiates works, because that means the character actually gets to grab the damn thing and gets to apply enough pressure to stop the arrow from taking out their eye.

Because again, the actual formula is this:

(Distance moved by character * Muzzle velocity of projectile) / (Distance between the projectile and Character when the Character starts moving)

Man if we have to make so many specifications for a "common feat" just tell people to scale directly to the projectile's speed

Man if we have to make so many specifications for a "common feat" just tell people to scale directly to the projectile's speed
Like we can as well ask the people to make a calc blog for every projectile catching speed instead.

We have had a page specifically educating everyone to do so.

Perhaps we should suggest normal human forearm arc movement at this page instead and let the blog builders do the math.

Alternatively, build a table for projectile speed and reactions speed required to catch it with a "standard" forearm from a 5 m distance.

Like we can as well ask the people to make a calc blog for every projectile catching speed instead.

We have had a page specifically educating everyone to do so.

Perhaps we should suggest normal human forearm arc movement at this page instead and let the blog builders do the math.

Alternatively, build a table for projectile speed and reactions speed required to catch it with a "standard" forearm from a 5 m distance.
Ehhhhhh, too many arms, too many body types.

Too many instances where several arm parts may move independently or as one. The variations are endless.

Is there a calculation for how strong a meteor strike is?
Depends on the meteor mass, speed is constant tho. 11-20 km/s AFAIK if it comes from outer space, values vary depending on which side of the Earth it comes by. 2-4 km/s if it's within Earth's atmosphere and so ablation would take over.

Is there a calculation for how strong a meteor strike is?
Hmm, according to National Geographic, the fastest meteors travel at speeds of 71 kilometers of 44 miles per second. Meaning that it's 70,811.136 m /s (Massively Hypersonic), and according to this site, a meteor is around 20 tons (if I'm not mistaken) meaning that it's 18143.695kg, so using the KE calculator, it would yield around 45,489,085,440,720 joules (7-C)?

Hmm, according to National Geographic, the fastest meteors travel at speeds of 71 kilometers of 44 miles per second. Meaning that it's 70,811.136 m /s (Massively Hypersonic), and according to this site, a meteor is around 20 tons (if I'm not mistaken) meaning that it's 18143.695kg, so using the KE calculator, it would yield around 45,489,085,440,720 joules (7-C)?
Meteors coming in to Earth aren't usually gonna be that fast.

I don't really know if this has been discussed but a pretty common feat seems to be punching/kicking a tree trunk an "cutting" it in half. Or punching someone hard and they get slammed through the tree trunk and thats how it gets destroyed. hopefully its fine to suggest thing here

I don't really know if this has been discussed but a pretty common feat seems to be punching/kicking a tree trunk an "cutting" it in half. Or punching someone hard and they get slammed through the tree trunk and thats how it gets destroyed. hopefully its fine to suggest thing here
Too varied, too many tree types exist of various sizes.

Soooo, I just saw this comet calc being added to the common feats. I gotta comment on that and guess I better do it here than on the blog where it might be missed.
Look at the NASA article used. I quote:
the comet nucleus would have a mass of just 10^15 kilograms or less
In my understanding, the calc is using the absolute high end of comet mass. That makes it unsuitable for common feats.

Soooo, I just saw this comet calc being added to the common feats. I gotta comment on that and guess I better do it here than on the blog where it might be missed.

In my understanding, the calc is using the absolute high end of comet mass. That makes it unsuitable for common feats.
Maybe AC and DT wish to talk here.
Meanwhile I shall share some findings of my own:

Properties of some comets (directly copied from Wikipedia)
When we can find or calculate the orbital "circumference" and the orbital period (given), we can determine the orbital speed of those comets.

And we can proceed to calculate the KE of such comets.

So what's the absolute lowest?

Would PE of the atmosphere count as a common reference feat?
Why would you ask this? Like how many people messes with a PE of an atmosphere? Or you want to estimate the PE of a character that can "hold the sky"?

It's definitely not using absolute high end, that's way higher and is part of the calculation on its own. The article mentions that the size of a meteor can vary and thus acknowledges that the mass can be less than the example, I see no issue with this.
Idk, but this one is only 100 to 200m in diameter.
We definitely shouldn't use an absolute low end as the standard assumption.

It's definitely not using absolute high end, that's way higher and is part of the calculation on its own. The article mentions that the size of a meteor can vary and thus acknowledges that the mass can be less than the example, I see no issue with this.

We definitely shouldn't use an absolute low end as the standard assumption.
We should at best use an average (better yet: something on the lower end, like lowest 20%) and I don't think we know what the average size across all comets in the solar system is.
According to this random page there apparently are also small comets that are a million times smaller than the "famous" ones.

We should at best use an average (better yet: something on the lower end, like lowest 20%) and I don't think we know what the average size across all comets in the solar system is.
According to this random page there apparently are also small comets that are a million times smaller than the "famous" ones.
I mean, yeah? I already said that small ones exist, but given that they specifically are described as "small" I really don't think they belong in this discussion.

You gotta take the small ones into account when talking about the average ones, though, and there seem to be a lot of small ones.
Anyway, been looking around, but not finding anything good. Most just say something like "on average it's less than 10km", but no specific number.
This page says 750m to 20km are "usual", in which case I would go for 750m as bottom of the usual range.
But then this page says 1km to 15km for most and gives an actual source (I think it's a magizine, but maybe something else is meant?), so I guess 1km could work as well.

I see the above are sharing and discussing which size is good for an absolute low end, an average one and a high end. I am generally fine once you settle on a set of data.

However we may still need to look at their speed. Are the "default" speed yield usable though? Or we actually need to look at how fast real life comets move since we see some of the more famous comets orbit around the sun and have a set of known semi major axes but we still need to figure out the semi minor axes to deduce the orbital circumference and, with the orbital period, deduce the moving speed of those more famous comets.

Typical impact velocity of a comet on earth is 51 km/s.
I feel like all velocities for outer space would be meaningless. Whenever you have a speed in outer space you have to ask "Relative to what?". And usually it will be relative to the sun or something and that is often just meaningless for us.

Typical impact velocity of a comet on earth is 51 km/s.
I feel like all velocities for outer space would be meaningless. Whenever you have a speed in outer space you have to ask "Relative to what?". And usually it will be relative to the sun or something and that is often just meaningless for us.
Sometimes fictional spaceships may be hit by (or ram into) asteroids and comets. Sometimes stationary spaceships and stations are getting hit by comets and asteroids. The KE tanked by these objects will be affected by the comets and asteroids. I think these are some cases where KE of asteroids and meteors are applicable and meaningful.

Sure, but what I'm trying to say is: We have to think about relative to what the velocity is. If you find a velocity for a comet in outer space that wouldn't necessarily be the velocity relative to the spaceship.
And when a spaceship is 'stationary' in space then the question arises: Stationary to what?
If you have comet speed relative to the sun and the spaceship is stationary relative to the sun, then that works. Most of the time you won't have that information, though.

See.

So ultimately we can just set another page to put some common data for asteroids and comets and let people do their custom calculation instead right.

For the rest, maybe you wish to talk with AC and anyone else because I am sleepy now.

So ultimately we can just set another page to put some common data for asteroids and comets and let people do their custom calculation instead right.
That could be a good idea if it ends up that complicated. Still we need to settle on an average yield since I did use that standard calculation for a profile of mine.

See.

I guess we could do that and move the meteor calc section from the calculations page there as well.

Back