• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Expanding the References for Common Feats page

(Forgive me if this is already being discussed or if i missed this)Shall we have a proposal for when someone vaporizes meteors as a common feat? Since it's something you'd usually see in most superhero movies?

(Forgive me if this is already being discussed or if i missed this)Shall we have a proposal for when someone vaporizes meteors as a common feat? Since it's something you'd usually see in most superhero movies?
vaporization is pretty rare and needs very specific context, especially in the context of a meteor that's usually surrounded by vapor anyway.

Breaking a leg by running fast also seems like a very specific and unusual feat.

I don't think that freezing a galaxy, vaporizing Spain, vaporization of Titanium, vaporising the atmosphere, or throwing a bowling ball seem sufficiently relevant.
Breaking a leg by running fast also seems like a very specific and unusual feat.
Okay...
Good to go now?

Isn’t tearing a human arm off a common feat?
Yes and no.
Arms come in various sizes.

Meanwhile, heads come in more standard sizes.
And lucky enough I have calculated or just found a video stating ripping heads off be 5000 N to 15000 N
While ripping spines MK style will be 1,000,000 N.

And some OPM fans and FOTNS fans are asking me for the questions below hell (despite I have to start working now):

What criteria is there and what yield data they have to constitute
  • Moving your back so fast you see your back from a mirror
  • Moving so fast "it casts a shadow"
  • Moving so fast "it casts no shadow"
  • Moving so fast "it tags a lightning leader"
  • Moving so fast "it tags a lightning return stroke"

Yes and no.
Arms come in various sizes.
I mean just like, use the average arm.
What criteria is there and what yield data they have to constitute
  • Moving your back so fast you see your back from a mirror
  • Moving so fast "it casts a shadow"
  • Moving so fast "it casts no shadow"
  • Moving so fast "it tags a lightning leader"
  • Moving so fast "it tags a lightning return stroke"
None, it's too variable IMO.

I may wrap this into a calc blog with my double check on the data used. But I would like to hear your opinions first.

Sometimes, even facing common feats, there can be so many variables as to how a calculation should be made and what yield should deliver.

I wonder if it is better some guidelines be set for calculating some common feats instead.

For example, instead of listing a table of "yield data for creating ice spikes at specific sizes", we write a formula for how to calculate an ice spike.

9-A+ off of vaporising a car but 8-C off of melting a car

thonk
Well if I were less busy I would try reorganising the energy required to frag / melt / vaporise / saw off a car.

I have done some calcs before but that was before material frag values were revised.

That is a good idea, yes. Is somebody else here willing to handle it?

That is a good idea, yes. Is somebody else here willing to handle it?
I may handle - I mean, overhaul it once I get more idle after about at least three weeks...

Meanwhile, I would like to ask:

We need to at least have a projectile fulfilling several of the requirements stated in the above link to call off a projectile to be laser rather than calling any energy / magic / chi blast a laser right?

(I am being told there are new ways in proving a projectile is light speed)

Alright, everyone, I'd like to announce that the calculation for Catching An Arrow has been updated thanks to our good friends @Arrogant_Schmuck and @KLOL506. Now that it's taken care of, let's see if we can get more evaluations for it.
Friendly reminder that this works ONLY IF THERE IS CONFIRMATION THAT THE ARROW WAS CLOSE TO THE CHARACTER WHEN THEY WENT IN TO GRAB IT.

Not quite. The projectile distance needs explanation.
Projectile distance was already explained tho, as a low-ball, we'd assume the distance between the projectile and the person would be the length of the full arrow or the crossbow bolt itself.

Meaning at the time of dodging or catching the arrow would be one arrow's worth of length away from the character's face before they grabbed it.

Though I have some concerns, that's too far away to be grabbed by your hand if your lower arm is already bent, 0.365 long elbow wouldn't be enough to grab the arrow, since it'd still be 20-40 cm further from your hand if you already bent your lower arm at 90 degrees.

Projectile distance was already explained tho, as a low-ball, we'd assume the distance between the projectile and the person would be the length of the full arrow or the crossbow bolt itself.

Meaning at the time of dodging or catching the arrow would be one arrow's worth of length away from the character's face before they grabbed it.

Though I have some concerns, that's too far away to be grabbed by your hand if your lower arm is already bent, 0.365 long elbow wouldn't be enough to grab the arrow, since it'd still be 20-40 cm further from your hand if you already bent your lower arm at 90 degrees.
Okay the projectile distance is at least justified.

For the forearm part... I believe the forearm movement distance should be around pi / 2 * 0.3 m = ~0.4712 m
As the forearm length should be around 0.3 m and in fiction these arms usually move by pi /2 rad or 90 degrees.

Okay the projectile distance is at least justified.

For the forearm part... I believe the forearm movement distance should be around pi / 2 * 0.3 m = ~0.4712 m
As the forearm length should be around 0.3 m and in fiction these arms usually move by pi /2 rad or 90 degrees.
That's... kinda what I said. To use 90 degrees.

Shortcut way is to just convert the degree value to rad, then multiply the rad value with the portion of the arm that moved in that angle.

Also, it's not 0.3 m, it's 0.365. 0.73/2 is 0.365.

Back