• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Expanding the References for Common Feats page

I was just trying to calculate the AP needed to destroy the blade of a bokken, when I came upon this article that made me question if the value for pulverization is correct. The values are in psi, but it makes mention of a modulus of elasticity.

It defines it as a measure of the stiffness of the wood. From what I can infer, the compression values for pulverization we use are the modulus of rupture, but I'm just wonder if that's really correct or not and we should actually be using the combined values of the modulus of elasticity and rupture for pulverization

I was just trying to calculate the AP needed to destroy the blade of a bokken, when I came upon this article that made me question if the value for pulverization is correct. The values are in psi, but it makes mention of a modulus of elasticity.

It defines it as a measure of the stiffness of the wood. From what I can infer, the compression values for pulverization we use are the modulus of rupture, but I'm just wonder if that's really correct or not and we should actually be using the combined values of the modulus of elasticity and rupture for pulverization
Nah, we don't use modulus of elasticity, we exclusively use high-end compressive strength for pulverization.

modulus of elasticity is for stretching things, not for crushing things
Since you said that (sorry if this might derail the thread), mind looking at these two gifs? The value was originally calced for pulverization, but it is evident that the building isn't being crushed downward. Would it be fair to consider its material being stretched first?

Since you said that (sorry if this might derail the thread), mind looking at these two gifs? The value was originally calced for pulverization, but it is evident that the building isn't being crushed downward. Would it be fair to consider its material being stretched first?
No, it's being turned to dust.

Thank you to everybody who are helping out here.
Yes, indeed. And many thanks to you too, @Antvasima
I cannot find the exact formula for running on water, and basically any help would be appreciated.
But on the other hand if you only want the revised speed value I believe I can force run the data using the web calculator by weekend or even Friday night.
For now, I think we'll hold off on this until we hear back from @Jasonsith. Let's move on.
@Migue79 and I found the yield to be anywhere from Class 5 (If you take a poor-health guy like me) to Class 25 (Normal men arm) here, but more calc members need to evaluate it.

@DontTalkDT @Executor_N0 @Jasonsith @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan
Anyway, maybe we should get this one sufficiently evaluated and added to the RfCF page. Anyone else up to evaluating it?

Yes, indeed. And many thanks to you too, @Antvasima

For now, I think we'll hold off on this until we hear back from @Jasonsith. Let's move on.

Anyway, maybe we should get this one sufficiently evaluated and added to the RfCF page. Anyone else up to evaluating it?
Already got evaluated by me and a bunch of other calc group members, but just for clarity's sake...

@DontTalkDT @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @DemonGodMitchAubin

Also I got Class 5 for my own arm since I'm so thin and malnourished and not exactly of very good health (GOD ******* HELP ME I HAVE EXAMS IN ABOUT 9 DAYS)

Already got evaluated by me and a bunch of other calc group members, but just for clarity's sake...

@DontTalkDT @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @DemonGodMitchAubin

Also I got Class 5 for my own arm since I'm so thin and malnourished and not exactly of very good health (GOD ******* HELP ME I HAVE EXAMS IN ABOUT 9 DAYS)
Checks out math wise, I guess.
Wonder if this is an applicable feat for horses. Historically ripping out limbs apparently is a peak feat for them, as it sometimes worked and sometimes not.

Wonder if this is an applicable feat for horses. Historically ripping out limbs apparently is a peak feat for them, as it sometimes worked and sometimes not.
In the thread where we were discussing this, Ugarik said the following here and here:

"This is an extreme high end because in reality arn is only attached by few tendons and the muscles are quite thin were they attached to the bone.
Even using this oversimplified model, 20 cm is too wide."

"It's not as impresive as it seems. If you draw a free body diagram you can see that there's only 1 horse per limb. And a single horse can only pull with as much force as the friction with the ground provides.
Assuming a horse weights 1000 kg and the friction coefficient is 0.5 you only have 500 kgf per arm at most

To which Flashlight237 rebutted here:
"In which case you gotta account for net force. In this case, four forces are acting on one object. The idea of four forces canceling each other out like that, depending on how you look at it (whether it be one on each corner or two on each side), is impressive.

Even if we were to go off 500 kgf, the body would effectively be withstanding 2000 kgf at the center (and yes, the center does matter in physics)."

Can it be added then?

@DontTalkDT needs to address the concerns below first.

In the thread where we were discussing this, Ugarik said the following here and here:

"This is an extreme high end because in reality arn is only attached by few tendons and the muscles are quite thin were they attached to the bone.

"It's not as impresive as it seems. If you draw a free body diagram you can see that there's only 1 horse per limb. And a single horse can only pull with as much force as the friction with the ground provides.
Assuming a horse weights 1000 kg and the friction coefficient is 0.5 you only have 500 kgf per arm at most

"In which case you gotta account for net force. In this case, four forces are acting on one object. The idea of four forces canceling each other out like that, depending on how you look at it (whether it be one on each corner or two on each side), is impressive.

Even if we were to go off 500 kgf, the body would effectively be withstanding 2000 kgf at the center (and yes, the center does matter in physics)."

That doesn't sound good at all. I hope that you will be alright.

WIth 4 horses, one per limb, I guess the strength of 2 would essentially apply to each limb (the ones on opposite sides). So I guess half of it would apply to horses. Is that realistic? No idea. Is 20cm too wide? Possibly. I guess there is other stuff in the arm as well.
Do I know a better method? Not really.

WIth 4 horses, one per limb, I guess the strength of 2 would essentially apply to each limb (the ones on opposite sides). So I guess half of it would apply to horses. Is that realistic? No idea. Is 20cm too wide? Possibly. I guess there is other stuff in the arm as well.
Do I know a better method? Not really.
I tried ghetto-measuring my arm width at the shoulder with a ruler and I got a 7 cm diameter. Not sure if that's accurate, because again, healthier people than me exist.

I used my own arm as a basis and I pulled off Class 5 using the formula in Migue79's blog with the university PDF that goofed up on tha area.

Last edited:
Well, @DontTalkDT commented

Why do you not add the 2x0.15m? For each step, the character will have to pull the foot out of the water (0.15m movement) take the step (0.725m movement) and push it back into the water (another 0.15m movement). So the 0.15m appears twice. And the character has to be able to move their legs that distance in the time for one step. That is kinda necessary.
Your value is too low for the character to also push and pull their legs in/out of the water in addition to moving them forward, no?
Alo, I just have been thinking: Shouldn't we use stride length instead of step length? Looking at the definitions in the source, stride length seems to be the value we are actually looking for.

@Armorchompy also gave his comment on the speed required to run on water.

First redux value: 13.9 m/s (Superhuman)
Second redux value: 13.6 m/s (Superhuman)
barely more than 1 m/s faster than Usain Bolt's running speed and he clearly ain't running on water

This goes back to the question: can we even trust the calculator? What even is the formula for floating and running on water? We should really actually dig back into the books of physics. Sadly I am not a doctor in physics.
Alternatively: try looking into examples of real life objects that float on and run across water.

BTW: are running on water and running on walls actually other forms of "surface scaling"? If these are not even possible through sheer formulated physique then we can deem it as superpowers instead.

Force required to dismember a limb...

This site says ripping out a head from a human body takes 5000 N to 15000 N.
Ripping out a spine from a human body takes 1000000 N of force.

Wonder if this count.

Last edited:
This goes back to the question: can we even trust the calculator? What even is the formula for floating and running on water? We should really actually dig back into the books of physics.
IMO, it is probably better to do calculations from scratch, I normally use google spreadsheet to make them

So what can we currently do here based on what has been accepted by our staff so far?

Well, @DontTalkDT commented

@Armorchompy also gave his comment on the speed required to run on water.

This goes back to the question: can we even trust the calculator? What even is the formula for floating and running on water? We should really actually dig back into the books of physics. Sadly I am not a doctor in physics.
Alternatively: try looking into examples of real life objects that float on and run across water.

BTW: are running on water and running on walls actually other forms of "surface scaling"? If these are not even possible through sheer formulated physique then we can deem it as superpowers instead.

Force required to dismember a limb...

This site says ripping out a head from a human body takes 5000 N to 15000 N.
Ripping out a spine from a human body takes 1000000 N of force.

Wonder if this count.

I thought the calculator was based on conservation of momentum or something? Eh, I think the article explained what the physics was. At least to some extent, I didn't get into it tbh.

Taking stride length instead of step length would increase the result in any case.

The Durability needed to be bullet proof calc is definitely not accepted.
For the epxloding gas containers one, it should be noted that that is neither apploicable for the explosion nor for triggering the explosion. It is only for destroying the container and actually has nothing to do with exploding anything.
So, which of the ones can be added?

Well, not the ones that are for too specific feats or that DontTalk rejected at least.

Back