• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Examining Powerscaling within RWBY

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Retired
It's come to my attention that our current standards on the powerscaling within RWBY have a number of flaws, especially in regards to the 8-B feat. The current scaling relies on a number of key premises which I will deconstruct.

Disclaimer: This is not a proposal for a downgrade. This is pointing out misused words on the profiles and circulated through threads and asking to remove them. If anything, this is just an argument to enforce the current ratings, instead of having the characters act differently than the ratings on the profiles.

1. The Lancer Queen was 'undamaged' by the explosion calculated here.

• There is nothing to suggest it was 'undamaged' by this explosion. Later in the fight the Arma Gigas kills it, however the first couple of hits from it deal just as little visible damage and stagger it even less than the explosio.
  • There is no burden of proof to prove that it was damaged if attacks that did damage and kill it staggered it less in the same fight. Therefore those who insist that it didn't damage the Lancer Queen should provide more concrete evidence the attack didn't damage it.
  • Also, something doesn't need cuts or broken/severed limbs to signify damage. Especially in the case of Grimm, which dissipate when they take too many physical hits anyways. The most we can assume is that it can survive the blast and continue fighting.
2. The Arma Gigas 'stomped' the Lancer Queen

• It took the Gigas a number of solid hits before the Lancer Queen dissipated. These hits also don't show any more visible harm than the explosion, just staggering the Queen for less of a time than the explosion did. Winning a fight in four or five hits is actually pretty realistic; and doesn't show a quantitative advantage. And again, nothing is saying the explosion from earlier didn't weaken it.
3. Vernal 'oneshot' the Arma Gigas

• This is actually pretty misleading as a concept. Vernal actually disrupted Weiss summoning it, and didn't dissipate the fully formed Arma Gigas that defeated the Lancer Queen. It's clear Weiss needs concentration to summon it and that it hadn't been fully summoned yet; so saying Vernal "one-shot" the summon is ignoring the context of the fight. Weiss's aura was able to withstand a hit or two from Vernal in that fight anyways, so assuming Vernal's attacks could one-shot a 8-B summon but not one-shot Weiss is off.
  • This contradicts how a summoned Lancer Queen's attack bored a hole in Hazel's chest. If a summon that should be weaker than the Arma Gigas could harm someone who should be comparable to Vernal. You cannot have a summoned Lancer Queen punch a hole through Hazel yet a summoned Arma Gigas get fodderized by Vernal. Therefore a reasonable assumption was that the Arma Gigas wasn't fully formed and not as powerful as it was in the fight with the Lancer Queen as a result.
  • Claiming that hunters in general are vastly above a Lancer Queen is also contradicted by the above event.
Thus, RWBY characters aren't some astronomically high number above the 18 Ton feat. They are just generally above it. They should not "one-shot" or "stomp" characters near that AP value as the scaling chain used to come to that conclusion is inherently flawed.

Weekly and I have discussed this in private and have accepted this change, at least from what I gathered.

RWBY characters are still reasonably above 18 Tons, they just don't stack one-shots on other characters anymore.

Just to clarify, DMUA has talked with me and they actually shouldn't even scale above the lancer queen given Hazel getting juked by one (then again piercing damage IDK).

This matches up with them being significantly weaker than 88-Ton mech suits, and would probably place them closer to baseline 8-B, which would invalidate a lot of the higher end 8-B matches.

Isn't the entire point of aura to make physics not work and negate piercing and cutting?

Wokistan said:
Isn't the entire point of aura to make physics not work and negate piercing and cutting?
Aura is not on 100% of the time and Hazel was distracted. It wasn't on when he got stabbed.

So I guess they still directly scale to the lancer feat, then.

Nico-v11 said:
Aura is not on 100% of the time and Hazel was distracted. It wasn't on when he got stabbed.
Aura being passive/activated is a whole other discussion, lol.

The amped Lancer pierced through Hazel's aura, Hazel was explicitly stated to have regenerated the damage to his aura from that

Hazel then went on to basicalyl oneshot it

Aura being passive/activated is a whole other discussion, lol.

It's been discussed to death but even the explicitly says that aura has to be activated.

Also Hazel really, REALLY doesnt seem like the kind of character who would drop his aura just because he got thrown a few feet away from his opponents

Actually, looking at this Weiss wasn't amped by Jaune at the time. He only restored her aura, he wasn't actively amping her like he had to do with Ren.

she was amped, after he fully restored her aura (As shown by her regenerating the stab wound she suffered) she tells him to keep going, implying he was amping her with his semblance

WeeklyBattles said:
His regen is a result of his aura
I agree. I said the same thing as you.

While I do ageee to an extent with that the show has shown plenty of times that if aura is broken or cut or sustains heavy damage then it is explicitly shown. Yang's aura being cut was directly shown (also showing it regenerating her stump) while we also see whenever aura is broken.

Every time a character has been critically hurt while they're aura hasn't gone down they have always not been paying attention. Sun getting stabbed by Ilia, Sienna stabbed by Adam, and now Hazel by Queen Lancer. It's a running theme.

She says she feels "better", and asks Jaune to keep it up. There's no indication she's being amped by him farther than where her strength is normally.

>Havent being paying attention

>Sienna was looking at and talking to a very clearly angry Adam when he stabbed her

>Sun was literally looking at Ilia and using his semblance to restrain her

Where were they not paying attention?

Nico-v11 said:
Yeah but let's face it we all know Hazel did all the work....seeing how he's just way more powerful than everyone else there.
I'm just saying that claiming "Hazel one-shot it" is incorrect.

We also consider Lionheart to be 8-B, so two shots from him should have actually done decent damage, and knocked it back.

What?

1. Sienna was facing away from Adam and in the middle of speaking.

2. Sun was not looking at Ilia at all.

https://youtu.be/x0c_qab80NE (18:08)

Sienna looking away from Adam and then shows utter surprise from being stabbed. She had no idea it was coming.

@Dargoo yeah but he definitely would have 2 shot it (or uh 1.5 or less since he's way more powerful than Leonardo).

Back