• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Epic (Cool Dudes Only) Dungeons and Dragons Discussion Thread

I haven't had anything I played in last long enough to sort of be more than "neat" but I would submit Gur-Shaak from the same campaign as Bambu's Imastrius. She was a Jungle Orc (not half-orc, full orc) Barbarian with 20 strength and 7 intelligence, and I like to think I struck a good enough balance at playing her as somewhat of an idiot without being too annoying. Plus she was just fun to play because she would trip someone, kill them in one hit, get a second attack and kill someone else in one hit on basically every turn, I think she probably had as much of a body count as the rest of the party combined (though our Druid definitely ended up carrying way more on the harder fights).

I don't think I'm 100% happy with her as a whole but my first character, Lilli a Fairy Rogue, had a pretty fun (read: absolutely ******* abysmal but in a fun way) ending, her cleric friend died while they were trying to stop some bad guy, so she literally just made a deal with a devil (thanks to a very conveniently nearby item) to revive her, and what the devil was probably expecting was to bring her misfortune through the cursed hoard she also got, but then she left in shame and the cleric gave away all of that cursed money to poor people which means literally the entire country got hit with the curse. The bad guy that they failed to stop ended up causing tens of thousands of deaths before being stopped, the cursed money caused hundreds of thousands with no obvious end to the misery in sight. And then a devil came knocking at her door.
The "devil at the door" thing reminded me of this party member of mine. Tiefling Fiend or Hexblade Warlock, the player was gonna move soon. Basically, the group was in severe danger, so he phoned in on this pact, and this ancient Moonblade his family owns appears in his hand, and these tiny metal tendrils pierce his arms, and start draining his blood to power the sword. He can't take these out without depositing the blade, and he takes a small amount of damage per turn. He basically gets to choose what powers the runes give, so he's got a Vorpal Sword and a Shadow that works as his minion. We all work together and tear through the enemies, and at the end, the Duchess of Avernus pops out of a mirror, and my character makes a goofy joke complimenting the Warlock guy. He promptly gets his eyes set on fire, but one of them was made of stone anyway, so it only hurts an incredible amount. So, this Warlock says goodbye to everyone, passes around a couple magic items, and walks through the mirror with his patron. The wires fall out as his body burns away, and in its place, a hand lifts the blade. A Pit Fiend steps out of the smoke, and smiles. Greatest character send-off I've ever seen, and I've had a guy sacrifice himself, murder the head of an enemy force, and fight the others off until he died of exhaustion.

Creature have 9-A AP, is Hypersonic and have Class M LS, no way its being scaled to its real counterpart (plus, not like people can scale dinosaurs from irl to fiction since no human have seen a real dinosaur and in any case they are usung general culture animals for reference, like JP).

Creature have 9-A AP, is Hypersonic and have Class M LS, no way its being scaled to its real counterpart (plus, not like people can scale dinosaurs from irl to fiction since no human have seen a real dinosaur and in any case they are usung general culture animals for reference, like JP).
I meant we scale its abilities directly to its real life counterpart on the profile.

Would say its just laziness which is real thought cuz Tllm likes to write redundant powers. Also, why "plus natural weaponry" because a tail? Don't argue it counts as a natural weapon, but a real t. rex also have one.

Would say its just laziness which is real thought cuz Tllm likes to write redundant powers. Also, why "plus natural weaponry" because a tail? Don't argue it counts as a natural weapon, but a real t. rex also have one.
I guess it's because T. Rex doesn't do that in real life or something, I don't remember that ever being a thing in any documentaries. Either way if we're gonna cross scale them then we should at least do it correctly.

Personally, would have been more appropiated to write in down on the Notable Attacks/Techniques section; is an additional offensive method rather than an additional power.

Notwithstanding, it would be better to change the P&A section and simply writes what its statblock say it can do given is a fantasy version of an animal.

Personally, would have been more appropiated to write in down on the Notable Attacks/Techniques section; is an additional offensive method rather than an additional power.

Notwithstanding, it would be better to change the P&A section and simply writes what its statblock say it can do given is a fantasy version of an animal.
That would be better than what we have at the moment, yes.

As mentioned, the King of Feathers isn't at all resembling a real-life T-Rex. I suppose I don't feel strongly about saying "all the powers of a real T-Rex plus"- yeah, it's a bit lazy (especially when he does go over the abilities of other creatures with real-life counterparts) but like

it's not wrong, just weird.

As mentioned, the King of Feathers isn't at all resembling a real-life T-Rex. I suppose I don't feel strongly about saying "all the powers of a real T-Rex plus"- yeah, it's a bit lazy (especially when he does go over the abilities of other creatures with real-life counterparts) but like

it's not wrong, just weird.
I wasn't even talking about the King of Feathers, I was talking about the regular Tyrannosaurus Rex from D&D. The fact that the King of Feathers' intelligence directly upscales him from the normal T. Rex which has the same real world cross scaling going on in his justification makes it even more janky.

I wasn't even talking about the King of Feathers, I was talking about the regular Tyrannosaurus Rex from D&D. The fact that the King of Feathers' intelligence directly upscales him from the normal T. Rex which has the same real world cross scaling going on in his justification makes it even more janky.
The normal T-Rex in DnD has normal animalistic intelligence though. It's phrased badly oh but we have proof that they are indeed comparable, I don't understand what's wrong with it?

The normal T-Rex in DnD has normal animalistic intelligence though. It's phrased badly oh but we have proof that they are indeed comparable, I don't understand what's wrong with it?
It's the fact that we're scaling it's abilities to the real T. Rex yet it's intelligence is severely lacking in comparison to the real deal.

It's the fact that we're scaling it's abilities to the real T. Rex yet it's intelligence is severely lacking in comparison to the real deal.
What

Are you aware that the intelligence section doesn't scale to the real world T-Rex?

I'm literally looking at the Tyrannosaurus' profile right now and it's using the real life T. Rex as justification for it's powers.
What specific powers do you object to the DnD T-Rex having?

Horrible, truly.

What specific powers do you object to the DnD T-Rex having?

Horrible, truly.
I don't object to it having anything, I just think it's weird to give it the same abilities as it's real life counterpart while not giving it the same intelligence. Either cross scale it fully or not at all as this feels like cherrypicking.

I don't object to it having anything, I just think it's weird to give it the same abilities as it's real life counterpart while not giving it the same intelligence. Either cross scale it fully or not at all as this feels like cherrypicking.
I think Tllm beg just wanted to shorthand it's abilities. Lazy, yeah, but it's based purely on the DnD statblock- which suggests it has pretty basic animal intelligence.

If you like. If you want to fix it, you're free to do so, a self-evident CRT only needs one staff and I'd be happy to oblige.

Pre-Game, Karlach. She specifically mentions killing an Ice Devil at one point (Low 7-B feat). Lae'zel is a notable but not particularly impressive Githyanki recruit, probably only 9-A or 8-C.

What's the Hydra's strength rating? I'm curious since it scales way higher than the Tyrannosaurus or King of Feathers in its profile but its LS is significantly lower than theirs.

That depends, how many heads

23. The Stone Golem in 3.5e has a Strength score of 29, so it wouldn't scale.

In 5e, the Hydra has a cover-all strength score of 20, whereas a Stone Golem has 22. When we enacted the change, we didn't reach an agreement on size differences- by 3.5e's reckoning, the Hydra would have a higher carry capacity mechanically than the golem (36,000 lbs vs 28,000) so it could be argued they scale, although the lower forms of hydra wouldn't (the weakest having a mechanical carrying capacity of only 15,600 lbs). Still, this might be an unreasonable blending of mechanics and feats. I recall voting against it at the time, but I don't feel as strongly opposed now.

23. The Stone Golem in 3.5e has a Strength score of 29, so it wouldn't scale.

In 5e, the Hydra has a cover-all strength score of 20, whereas a Stone Golem has 22. When we enacted the change, we didn't reach an agreement on size differences- by 3.5e's reckoning, the Hydra would have a higher carry capacity mechanically than the golem (36,000 lbs vs 28,000) so it could be argued they scale, although the lower forms of hydra wouldn't (the weakest having a mechanical carrying capacity of only 15,600 lbs). Still, this might be an unreasonable blending of mechanics and feats. I recall voting against it at the time, but I don't feel as strongly opposed now.
It's really weird that even the Primordial Hydras are inferior to the Stone Golems but if that's the way the cookie crumbles then so be it I guess.

Primordials are Gargantuan with a Strength Score of 26, which in 4e would actually be way higher, since iirc their max lift is like, just Strength * 50 (It doesn't care about size, iirc, just strength). A Stone Golem in 4e has a Strength Score of 24, so no matter how you slice it, the Primordial definitely should scale to the Class M feat.

The Mordant Hydra also on our page only has a 22 but is larger than the Stone Golem- make of that what you will, it leads back into my last post.

Primordials are Gargantuan with a Strength Score of 26, which in 4e would actually be way higher, since iirc their max lift is like, just Strength * 50 (It doesn't care about size, iirc, just strength). A Stone Golem in 4e has a Strength Score of 24, so no matter how you slice it, the Primordial definitely should scale to the Class M feat.

The Mordant Hydra also on our page only has a 22 but is larger than the Stone Golem- make of that what you will, it leads back into my last post.
Oh, neat. I'll be honest, the Primordial Hydras only being Class 25 was what was throwing me off so much.

Can't the other Low 7-B Hydras just scale to the Legendary Dragons' Class 100 Feat? How high are Legendary Dragons in the Strength Stat Block?

Can't the other Low 7-B Hydras just scale to the Legendary Dragons' Class 100 Feat? How high are Legendary Dragons in the Strength Stat Block?
Which feat? Why would they?

I see.

Their LS is based on their Strength score, outright. They also should scale to Class M, honestly we might want to have a good lookthrough the profiles and figure out who should scale if so many don't have it.

In AP, all Low 7-Bs scale to the legendary dragons. This is entirely unrelated to LS.

I see.

Their LS is based on their Strength score, outright. They also should scale to Class M, honestly we might want to have a good lookthrough the profiles and figure out who should scale if so many don't have it.

In AP, all Low 7-Bs scale to the legendary dragons. This is entirely unrelated to LS.
I noticed some of the 9-As that scale to Conjure Barrage are missing the + in their ratings like the Ambush Drake.

That's just a typo, you don't even need a CRT to fix that. If you see it, feel free to fix it.

Back