• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Durability Required to Resist Lightning

Hello. I found interesting thing about lightning. There is blog for durability required to resist heat of sun and that yielded Multi-City Block level. But lightning is hotter than surface of sun.

Here is link

Bolt of lightning reach temperatures roughly 30,000 kelvin (53,540 degrees Fahrenheit). The sun, on the other hand, is eclipsed in this case — its surface temperature is just 6,000 kelvin (10,340 degrees Fahrenheit).

Lightning also hotter than lava (just for record)

Another link

Should resisting lightning feats yield durability five times greater than resisting heat of sun (at least higher than Multi-City Block level?) I don't think that human surviving lightning discredit this. Lightning vary and if 200 volt is enough to kill a person (depending on amperage) ten million volt from lightning would vaporize them.

What do you think? :3

Well...

When Matt told you brought this up yesterday I didn't think too much of it. But considering these values, I'll get your brother's input on this and see what's up.

Several fiction treats lightning as extremely powerful and superior to fire (Dark Souls for example). But I don't know if that has anything to do with scientific evidence and just simply being a lore factor. Nioh is similar. Hmm...

Well Yumi did mentioned it to the people during chat. I wasn't so sure on that. Case by case analysis as we don't know how much is truly true and what is not true.

Real lightning is very powerful. There's no doubt about it. So this would only apply to real/true lightning, not most lightning you see in fiction which is just high amped up electricity.

No Yeul, amperage kills, not volts. A bolt could not reduce a human to ashes like lava can. We rank Attack Potency by energy and because real lightning produces greater energy than the surface of the sun, it would require a corresponding level of durability to endure. But in that is just my personal thoughts. I just woke up from a nap so my judgment may have not awaken yet.

I'll highlight this for staff input.

Don't like much how we convert temperature to energy, it makes, for example, a character more durable than the other cuz is bigger although they resist the same amount if heat.

Anyway, 200 volts aren't enough to kill a person, is the current that is able to kill, not the tension, then it depend if is AC or DC current. A lightning isn't able to vaporisize a human, they can even survive to them.

Out of everyone (US stat) struck by lightning, according to the NOAA only about ~10% actually died.

Also, I think you're not factoring the external reasons why surviving the sun would grant that level of durability.

Well, Yumi is raising some very good points and I do agree with a lot of them. ^_^ But I'm not the most knowledgeble on the subject

This looks interesting. Also for reference, would anyone mind linking the blog calculating the durability required to resist the heat of the Sun?

@Anton

Resisting extraordinary heat is a durability feat. Yamamoto's bankai could destroy Soul Society due to it's heat alone.

The has over 15*10^12 times more power than a lightning, not sure where is the lightning has more energy than the sun is coming from. Also, lightning just happen in fractions of miliseconds, I think that the sun blog consider the continuous contact of temperature.

Lightning is hotter than the surface of the sun because it produces more energy. I recall correctly.

Sera Loveheart said:
@Anton

Resisting extraordinary heat is a durability feat. Yamamoto's bankai could destroy Soul Society due to it's heat alone.
I know, but I don't like the way that we convert it to energy, I would prefer to works with only the temperatura.

Measuring Lightning due to a return stroke will help a lot. I need to get a video that will explain lightning in a good scientific detail.

Antoniofer does bring some good points as well. Lightning happens in milliseconds and we are talking about real lightning here. Unless there's an attack that applies lightning continuously as Yeul said.

Eh. I dunno.

Also, receiving continuos lightning attacks is the same that being surrounded by continuos flames, that would makes it acumulative damage that isn't a thing.

Well, I'm not 100% certain about this but I will say:

Unless the lightning is continuous and is shown to be able to burn, for example; The specific fiction shows the lightning to be able to burn to this degree or there is mention of the lighting attempting to inflict heat to this level.

Otherwise I would think that individual strikes wouldn't be this high, although being capable of surviving multiple, individual strikes, would be around 9-C.

Starkiller215 said:
@DT Thanks man as now that is way too much energy and joules? We rarely used joules btw.
But we use Joules most of the time, we just convert them to tnt kg equivalent when are big amounts (kinda).

Don't some lightning ignore the laws of reality? Or something, then again that might be more for magic. Unlike the sun which is static and typically just the sun, lightning could be different in well levels. Or are we speaking natural lightning here and not something summoned by supernatural means (whether espers or magic)

I'm pretty sure the reason lightning bolts produce so little energy compared to their temperature is their size, they're very thin, and the heat isn't uniform in all areas so despite their high heat they produce relatively low amounts of energy. And the reason regular humans can survive them is because it's so fast and the current is dispersed into the ground; when someone's struck by lightning only a small part of the energy is actually imparted into the body.

Enough of this. It was a fun discussion but I don't expect her to really understand the deeper mechanics of this. It's too complex compared to what an 8th grader is taught. So we should just close this.

Cloud to ground lightning will still apply the heat to the ground. The video I linked does prove it can indeed inflicted serious damage to someone if that happens.

Edit: My bad.... Jeesh

I'm thinking maybe the reason lightning is so easy to survive in real life is because, while it has some 5 billion J of energy in it, that energy is also spread out across a 2 km long "pole" of plasma.

LordXcano said:
I'm thinking maybe the reason lightning is so easy to survive in real life is because, while it has some 5 billion J of energy in it, that energy is also spread out across a 2 km long "pole" of plasma.
Yeah, that and the discharge just take a couple of miliseconds if not less. Lightning disperse up to 24 Terawatts of power through all the trayectory, and it only makes contact with the person (or tree) for very little time.

@Star

You got the stat backwards. It's 90% of people who survive a lightning strike.

"In the US, between 9% and 10% of those struck die,[10]"

Back