• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lightning temperature

I'd say that here's how it works.
If you can tank lightning mid air then yeah you get everything from that (8-C and resistance to heat)
While if you get hit on the ground you are only struck for a split second and most of the lightning bolt disappears into the ground

Why would mid air lightning be equal to the full power of lightning
Mid-air, nothing is grounding you. If you're on the ground however, the lightning safely dissipates back out of you into the ground.

Because most of the times humans almost never take a lightning strike directly, they take it indirectly after lightning passes through a crapton of stuff like the air, trees, the ground, some other materials and then indirectly strikes at you, by which point it has already lost a tremendous amount of its original energy.

There is an optional condition you can fulfill. Having battered, wounded skin at the time of taking the bolt. Decreases the resistance, lower the resistance, higher the energy yield you take.

Is that lightning considered to have the same properties as a normal one?
There's also this to consider.

There are many ways to determine that.

1. Whether it has properties of real electricity, like muscle contractions, convulsions, ******* up the nervous and cardiovascular systems etc.

2. Causing electrolysis

3. Flowing through conducting materials

4. Generating ozone

5. Having an electro-magnetic field

You don't need to fulfill all of these, just the main common ones. If it's just yanked from the clouds however, or the character's namesake involves lightning in general (Like being Zeus or Thor in mythology), then it should be fine to assume as legitimate lightning.

And in cases like this?
There's also this to consider.

There are many ways to determine that.

1. Whether it has properties of real electricity, like muscle contractions, convulsions, ******* up the nervous and cardiovascular systems etc.

2. Causing electrolysis

3. Flowing through conducting materials

4. Generating ozone

5. Having an electro-magnetic field
My second form of magic is lightning. Touch a magnet and you'll be subjected to a high-voltage shock.
Checks out I'd say

Oh, I almost forgot.

You'd need to maintain melee range distance with the bolt to scale. A meter or so to suffice. Since the farther it goes out the more it loses energy by going into contact with its surroundings and whatnot. But I guess that's not gonna be a problem for characters that can manipulate lightning bolts with their hands and keep it at full power at any distance they like so uh... yeah look out for those signs.

klol already answered me but to see the opinion of another person.

Being hit by lightning and having Nanomachines inside means the lightning hit with full force?

The thread question has already been answered. If you want to know if in a specific verse this logic is applicable, ask elsewhere

The question is how the temperature of lightning works against characters. You asking how this works in each specific verse you are interested in will simply extend the topic much further, which is unnecessary.

KLOL has already explained how the logic works, now it is your problem to analyze whether it works or not

The question is how the temperature of lightning works against characters. You asking how this works in each specific verse you are interested in will simply extend the topic much further, which is unnecessary.

KLOL has already explained how the logic works, now it is your problem to analyze whether it works or not
Pretty sure the question was whether or not getting struck by lightning gives you above 20000 degree celcius. Which the many replied that it depends on the situation, the most viable one would be cloud to air lightning, so I'm just implanting a different scenario to see if it's as viable as the one specified by klol. Which is technically a subsection of the main question on this thread.

I'm just asking whether the examples shown would work as well as getting struck by lightning mid air.
Depends on whether it has properties of real lightning, there are other MHS+ feats and if the lightning was taken at melee ranges mid-air and the character has a natural affinity of controlling lightning-based attacks or has a heavy lightning motiff (Like Zeus from Greek Mythology), whether the character taking the lightning had bruised skin/flesh, etc.

Last edited:
Depends on whether it has properties of real lightning, there are other MHS+ feats and if the lightning was taken at melee ranges and the character has a natural affinity of controlling lightning-based attacks or has a heavy lightning motiff (Like Zeus from Greek Mythology).
I see.

If you can tank lightning mid air then yeah you get everything from that (8-C and resistance to heat)
While if you get hit on the ground you are only struck for a split second and most of the lightning bolt disappears into the ground
I don't think that that's how it works.
Planes get struck by lighting all the time and usually are unscathed.

I don't think that that's how it works.
Planes get struck by lighting all the time and usually are unscathed.
Mostly because they exit the object in the case of the plane and don't let it be contained inside.

Lightning heats the air up so much specifically because air is a poor conductor of electricity, more conductive materials won't be heated up anywhere near as much.
Additionally, assuming that artifcially produced long lasting lightning has ad least as high power (energy/ time) as a normal lightning bolt rather then just having as much energy is an assumption that would need to be backed up in each case.

Mostly because they exit the object in the case of the plane and don't let it be contained inside.

Which should happen with a human being in the air.

Lightning heats the air up so much specifically because air is a poor conductor of electricity, more conductive materials won't be heated up anywhere near as much.
Ye, farther it goes out, more energy it loses because it collides with so much stuff, air, trees, ground and the like. More resistance = less voltage = less energy.

Additionally, assuming that artifcially produced long lasting lightning has at least as high power (energy/ time) as a normal lightning bolt rather then just having as much energy is an assumption that would need to be backed up in each case.
I believe the required qualifying criteria on the Lightning page solves most of that. Other qualifying criteria would be the following: Having full control over all forms of actual lightning, being able to transform into natural lightning, having a heavy lightning motiff or the character being based around lightning (Like Zeus in Greek Mythology or Electro in Marvel Comics, or Thor in Norse Mythology, etc.) and the like.

It is 9A currently IIRC. Have to double check since a human doesn’t necessarily tank the entire lightning, but only parts of that lightning specifically the tip for it.

It is 9A currently IIRC. Have to double check since a human doesn’t necessarily tank the entire lightning, but only parts of that lightning specifically the tip for it.
Cloud-to-ground lightning is 9-A+. Cloud-to-cloud is 8-C.

And yeah, humans don't tank the entire lightning, not directly most of the time anyway, whatever they do tank, gets dissipated safely (Because they're standing on the ground) and wasn't even a fraction of that energy to begin with, because again, all that distance travelled through so many materials providing so much resistance against it, causing massive energy loss.

Cloud-to-ground lightning is 9-A+. Cloud-to-cloud is 8-C.

And yeah, humans don't tank the entire lightning, not directly most of the time anyway, whatever they to tank, gets dissipated safely and wasn't even a fraction of that energy to begin with, because again, all that distance travelled through so many materials providing so much resistance against it, causing massive energy loss.
Alright, I thought so.
Thanks.

That being said, it shouldn't be impossible to scale to the full yield of either cloud-to-ground or cloud-to-cloud (Depending on how good the lightning shooter is with their mastery of lightning), assuming you got the following conditions fulfilled:

1. Be in mid-air

2. Be within melee fighting distance of the lightning source when struck

3. Optional- Have a heavily-bruised-and-bleeding body when taking the bolt. Wounded skin lowers electrical resistance of the human body thus allowing more of the lightning juice to be taken up by the body

Back