• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ozai durability justification removal

Yeah, so basically ozai is rated as, "At least Multi-City Block level, likely Town level (Survived his own lightning redirected back at him)". And this is wrong because ozai didn't actually tank his lightning. In the video, zuko shot the redirected lightning, not at ozai, but the start of the steps that leads to where ozai was sitting, and only the explosion blew him back into the wall. On top of that, ozai didn't have any ripped clothes, any injuries, nothing, just disheveled from the explosion. So that justification should be removed, and replaced with it being stated that besides the avatar, iroh is the only possible one who would be able to defeat the avatar. Which would scale ozai above the likes of bumi, and pretty much everyone else alive at the time, in terms of durability, bumi took attacks from book1 aang which is why he's town level. Here's the statement from zuko, right at the beginning. And heres zuko redirecting the lightning.

cI4pkI9d.png
K_14ArB2.png

Yeah, not sure about the whole scaling to Bumi thing, but removing the lightning from his justification is fine by me.

The justification should be fine to remove. But him scaling above Bumi for durability makes no sense

There is a bit of a controversy when it comes to the White Lotus scaling. It's easy to scale characters of similar bending affinities to one another, but can be hard otherwise. And same with Day/Night, Full Moon, Sozen's Comet things can cause fire and water benders to fluctuate.

Ozai was later said to be overhyped by writers later on and Iroh was officially the true strongest firebender at the time. Likewise, there was the Toph Vs Bumi fight in the comic that implied they're the two with the most raw power besides Avatars for obvious reasons.

Ozai was later said to be overhyped by writers later on and Iroh was officially the true strongest firebender at the time. Likewise, there was the Toph Vs Bumi fight in the comic that implied they're the two with the most raw power besides Avatars for obvious reasons.
Source on that? Cause according to the Avatar extras, which were done by one of the lead writers of the show, Ozai is the strongest firebender.

CcyrgRl.png

Source on that? Cause according to the Avatar extras, which were done by one of the lead writers of the show, Ozai is the strongest firebender.

CcyrgRl.png
I have seen that, but the official Avatar YouTube channel made a top 10 list (Though I do not trust it) where Ozai was number 8 while Azula was 5 and Iroh was 3.

Iroh and Ozai are basically equal in raw power, but the former is wiser and much more skilled. He can redirect lightning, not just generate it, he has passed the Dragon training that Ozai lacks. But this is getting off topic.

We should find a new reason to justify durability, but it shouldn't be too much of a downgrade.

Well idk I think ozai is the strongest firebender and was said that only could be defeated by aang, and iroh doubted he could defeat ozai. People say he was just being humble, but iroh is also wise enough to know when he's beat. And I said he should scale to bumi because doesn't he have town level bending? Would be implied that bumi would also lose to ozai, though i don't know how we treat the ratings on this site, because some of them seem iffy to me tbh, also the whole AP=Durability thing. And if bumi scales to taking attacks directly from aang, shouldn't ozai also scale?

Last edited:
Well idk I think ozai is the strongest firebender and was said that only could be defeated by aang, and iroh doubted he could defeat ozai. People say he was just being humble, but iroh is also wise enough to know when he's beat. And I said he should scale to bumi because doesn't he have town level bending? Would be implied that bumi would also lose to ozai, though i don't know how we treat the ratings on this site, because some of them seem iffy to me tbh, also the whole AP=Durability thing. And if bumi scales to taking attacks directly from aang, shouldn't ozai also scale?
Yes, Ozai is the strongest firebender. And possibly the strongest bender in the original series in general (outside of the Avatars obviously). So even if we say he's overall superior to Iroh and Bumi as a bender, that doesn't really mean he has to have comparable durability to them, nor have durability high enough to tank their bending. He just needs to have superior bending, which he does.

Frankly, there's a lot wrong with these profiles in their present state. The scaling is a big mess overall. I've been talking with Tracer about it throughout our recent watch through of the series, but whether we'll do something about it remains to be seen.

Yes, Ozai is the strongest firebender. And possibly the strongest bender in the original series in general (outside of the Avatars obviously). So even if we say he's overall superior to Iroh and Bumi as a bender, that doesn't really mean he has to have comparable durability to them, nor have durability high enough to tank their bending. He just needs to have superior bending, which he does.

Frankly, there's a lot wrong with these profiles in their present state. The scaling is a big mess overall. I've been talking with Tracer about it throughout our recent watch through of the series, but whether we'll do something about it remains to be seen.
I mean fair enough I guess, I feel like he could take attacks from bumi just fine, because he only has that justification for tanking air attacks from aang, which ozai could easily do. But if you have any more suggestions on what the new justification should be then thats fine also. I don't even know why he has two justifications to begin with.

He does get hit by AS Aang’s air a bunch and even body slammed by the air ball so it should, by default, at least be superior to whatever Aang used on Bumi.

I mean fair enough I guess, I feel like he could take attacks from bumi just fine, because he only has that justification for tanking air attacks from aang, which ozai could easily do. But if you have any more suggestions on what the new justification should be then thats fine also. I don't even know why he has two justifications to begin with.
Well, my suggestion would be to focus less on assumptions and just look at what Ozai's actual durability feats are.
So less "should be comparable/superior to X", and more "withstood attacks from X".

Back