• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dungeons and Dragons: Demons/Devils Major Ability Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bambu

Suffer-Not-Injustice Bambu
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
Calculation Group
Silver Supporter
Summary

So, just to preface this, all of these abilities are gleaned from the Fiendish Codex publications that I read ages ago. As a legitimately brief summary of the following, all (or most) demons possess all of the following abilities by lore- such as the fact that stuff they eat gets sent back to the Abyss.

Not everything here is super combat applicable but it should be noted regardless. For the sake of simplicity, just going to copy-paste stuff from my /dndpages sandbox.

Demon Ability Additions

Like I said, a lot of these aren't terribly useful, but for the purposes of indexing should be noted.

Devil Ability Additio

And... that's all she wrote. Thanks for commenting if you do.

I agree with all of these, and think a slight note should be made:

The Chaos/Law manip is a severely limited form, and should likely be notated as such just to be accurate. It takes a huge swing in numbers for one side or the other to upset the Balance, so isn't even applicable to individual Devils/Demons I would argue and is a racial boon that only occurs in very specific circumstances.

I believe this is a fair, albeit slight, alteration with the rest of the abilities being fairly straightforward, no?

I would also make a note about regen. While Mid/High-Mid makes sense with the promotions/demotions its also not really indicative of the Regenerationn when not going through the shift. So I would try to do something like with the Atropal abomination

> Regenerationn (Low-Mid without repercussions, but it can go up to High-Mid although this weakens the Atropal heavily),

So in this case

> Regenerationn ([Whatever the form is], High-Mid during metamorphosis)

The Chaos/Law thing is scaled to AP, essentially, yeah. Small tier demons seem to only be able to affect reality on a local scale, nothing like the demon lords visiting a plane and just absorbing it into the Abyss. Like the table says, your average demon can show up and randomly cause stuff like weather effects, seeping blood, and buildings that are much larger on the inside than on the outside (and probably pretty much anything else that would be chaotic and evil, but probably not totally useful unless you want a bunch of cattle and plants to die off).

As for the regen... I somewhat disagree? It is during metamorphosis, but metamorphosis is also the only time they have access to soul energy which powers all this shiz. So I think it'd be more accurate to say, "blank via soul energy", and Low-Mid without it (if they have it at all).

Crimson this is why I adopted you, you are a good son. Very epic. Just earned yourself a few extra christmas presents.

All of this seems fine to me. Only gripe I have with it is the BFR, which should probably have a "possibly / likely" attached next to it in the P&A section, from what the scans say, though you are free to correct me here.

I'm fine with Possibly, prolly would have put it like that anyways. The scans are from in-universe explanations so they aren't sure either (hard to tell when you'd need a dude on the other side in the Abyss watching to see if chewed up human flesh popped out).

Anyhow, cool.

everyone who comments and accepts gets admin rights forever, my favorite commenter becomes owner of the wiki

Would a demon even eat its opponent as a form of attack though? Like if it isn't a move it does usually I don't think it should be an ability it inherently has.

1. I didn't say it would, only that this is an effect that it can (probably) do. Last I checked characters also don't Immortality Type 1 their enemies to death either. We're an indexing site of character abilities, not strictly combat powers.

2. Some would absolutely eat their enemies, yeah. There are Glutton demons, yeah.

3. I... what? "I don't think it should be an ability it inherently has." I mean no offense but this isn't about what you think it should have. This is about what the in-game scholar/lore people/etc state that they inherently have. The demon they tested on for this was even just the lowest tier of demon (a Dretch).

You can probably apply the suggested changes then.

Alright, Demons are done, will work through the up-and-ready Devils now.

Alright, now the devils are done and... that's all she wrote. I'll close this down now.

For the record, outside of adding new abilities I've altered certain profiles to reflect current understandings of the verse (for example, Asmodeus' angel form didn't have Abstract Existence despite that being decided quite some time ago, Demogorgon lacked the Concept Manip held by Demon Lords other than him, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back