• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dropping the Riordanverse Tier by smiting it with Zeus' Lightning Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
For speed, I think the consensus was to upscale the gods from wind spirits or pegasi, since they should be a lot faster in travel speed at least, and the wind gods quote seems to imply they can intercept each other in their true forms. Zeus even caught the wind gods and used them as mounts against their will on short notice, iirc.
There is no evidence to suggest that Zeus "caught" the wind gods while they were in their true forms or teleporting.

We simply do not know how Zeus attached them to his chariot.

Additionally, my point about the wind gods being able to react to "teleporting" gods as soon as they enter the sky from miles away still stands.

Last edited:
They don't teleport, it's just their true forms moving fast. I don't recall them being willing steeds, since they're said to be trying to break free:

There was supersized Jupiter – no, this was Zeus, his original form – riding into battle in a golden chariot, a lightning bolt the size of a telephone pole crackling in one hand. Pulling his chariot were four horses made of wind, each constantly shifting from equine to human form, trying to break free. For a split second, one took on the icy visage of Boreas. Another wore Notus’s swirling crown of fire and steam. A third flashed the smug lazy smile of Zephyrus. Zeus had bound and harnessed the four wind gods themselves.

Hermes doesn't say if the wind gods are in their true forms when they do the intercepting, or the range they have at all, but he does say they're faster, at least. The gods themselves can move super fast with the true forms, the wind god quote is more about how they can apparently engage each other in that state, so it's not just travel speed.

Although that doesn't really matter much if we're just scaling to non-god wind spirits or pegasi, I think we can agree the gods are faster than those. That Mellie calc I don't really like since ballistic trajectory is sus for magic winds gently carrying people away, so I think the Blackjack going from NY to Kansas would be better.

Hermes doesn't say if the wind gods are in their true forms when they do the intercepting, or the range they have at all, but he does say they're faster, at least. The gods themselves can move super fast with the true forms, the wind god quote is more about how they can apparently engage each other in that state, so it's not just travel speed.
Yes, and since its a once off statement with so many unknowns, it can't be used to give gods explicitly MHS reactions.

Although that doesn't really matter much if we're just scaling to non-god wind spirits or pegasi, I think we can agree the gods are faster than those. That Mellie calc I don't really like since ballistic trajectory is sus for magic winds gently carrying people away, so I think the Blackjack going from NY to Kansas would be better.
I agree that the Mellie feat is a bit suspect. However, for the Blackjack feat, we aren't given an exact time frame for how long it took him to travel there, or even the distance he traveled.

So can anything be applied based on this thread yet?

I don't think that method makes sense for it, so I'd rather go for a timeframe if we can find any. The Blackjack one, I believe he lives in camp half blood, so we could assume he started from there, and get a timeframe of a few minutes since it didn't seem to take long from Piper's narration.

I don't think that method makes sense for it, so I'd rather go for a timeframe if we can find any. The Blackjack one, I believe he lives in camp half blood, so we could assume he started from there, and get a timeframe of a few minutes since it didn't seem to take long from Piper's narration.
That would probably get good results.

Piper's narration is way too vague to be used to determine an accurate time frame imo. However, you can infer that it didn't take hours based on the situation.

Jason snapped his fingers. “I can call a friend for a ride.” Percy raised his eyebrows. “Oh, yeah? Me too. Let’s see whose friend gets here first.” Jason whistled. Piper knew what he was doing, but he’d succeeded in summoning Tempest only three times since they’d met the storm spirit at the Wolf House last winter. Today, the sky was so blue, Piper didn’t see how it could work. Percy simply closed his eyes and concentrated. Piper hadn’t studied him up close before. After hearing so much at Camp Half-Blood about Percy Jackson this and Percy Jackson that, she thought he looked…well, unimpressive, especially next to Jason. Percy was more slender, about an inch shorter, with slightly longer, much darker hair. He wasn’t really Piper’s type. If she’d seen him in the mall somewhere, she probably would’ve thought he was a skater— cute in a scruffy way, a little on the wild side, definitely a troublemaker. She would have steered clear. She had enough trouble in her life. But she could see why Annabeth liked him, and she could definitely see why Percy needed Annabeth in his life. If anybody could keep a guy like that under control, it was Annabeth. Thunder crackled in the clear sky. Jason smiled. “Soon.” “Too late.” Percy pointed east, where a black winged shape was spiraling toward them. At first, Piper thought it might be Frank in crow form. Then she realized it was much too big to be a bird. “A black pegasus?” she said. “Never seen one like that.” The winged stallion came in for a landing. He trotted over to Percy and nuzzled his face, then turned his head inquisitively toward Piper and Jason.
Due to the nebulousness of the timeframe, estimating the timeframe seems like the only option, which I dislike. However, determining how this feat should be calculated is not up to me so I will defer to the conclusions reached by those helping with this CRT.

Last edited:
From that, I'd say a minute or two at most, she just examines him for a bit then Jason starts talking. Although clearly a lot of time can pass without the narration making it obvious like with the whole Titan's Curse thing. They were just 8 miles away, so it wouldn't make sense to wait for too long.
I don’t think it’s more than two minutes, since everyone waiting in silence for 5+ minutes doesn’t really make sense.

Well, Percy was concentrating, so I could see them waiting in silence, it's more that she doesn't really indicate any passage of time beyond her very short thoughts on Percy.

Psychomaster35 accepted the above-linked calculation blog.

So what are the conclusions regarding everything that should be applied here then?

They don't teleport, it's just their true forms moving fast. I don't recall them being willing steeds, since they're said to be trying to break free:

Although that doesn't really matter much if we're just scaling to non-god wind spirits or pegasi, I think we can agree the gods mare faster than those. That Mellie calc I don't really like since ballistic trajectory is sus for magic winds gently carrying people away, so I think the Blackjack going from NY to Kansas would be better.
This

Okay. Then it can probably be applied, as long as there are no serious objections.

I didn't want to have to do this for fear of messing the pages up, but I guess I'll have to apply the changes myself...

Thank you for helping out.

Please remember to carefully read through and follow the instructions in our Common Editing Mistakes page, so no badly structured edits are made, and extensive cleanup work will not be necessary. The Standard Format for Character Profiles page is also very useful to take a look through.

Also, when you apply this revision, please insert a link to this thread into the small edit summary boxes, so your edits are not mistaken for vandalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back