• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dropping the Riordanverse Tier by smiting it with Zeus' Lightning Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a link to the blog Zeus' Masterbolt < Serious Series Punch

I'll also post it on the evaluation thread

Edit: It will also be linked in the main post
Shouldn’t a more average firecracker be used? As far as I can tell, M-80’s aren’t sold for commercial use.
By law, a firecracker sold for on-the-ground consumer use can contain no more than 50 mg of explosives. An M-80 has at least 3,000 mg. (Contrary to urban legend, that is not equivalent to a quarter-stick of dynamite, which typically contains at least 20,000 mg.)

Shouldn’t a more average firecracker be used? As far as I can tell, M-80’s aren’t sold for commercial use.

Oof, did not know that, it would be off by a factor of 60 times, and the real result would be like 420 Exatons of tnt, which is High-5C. Might be a less reliable statement than anticipated, but it is the god's version of a Nuke so maybe not

Edit: Sorry it was 43.264 Exatons of tnt

Last edited:
I didn't get any notifications from this thread for some reason.

Anyway this is the 5-B calc I did for the firecracker thing ages ago, it was rejected for being a hyperbolic statement plus I used the strongest hydrogen bomb in the world. Can someone link the new calculation? Although I'm still iffy on using that since it's merely a statement.

Also what are the issues with the flooding the world feat and the Artemis constellation feat which doesn't assume literal creation of stars? Sorry I fell behind a LOT on this thread. (edit: figured out the latter)

The statement being hyperbolic is stupid because Chiron has literally been alive for thousands of years and seen the peak of the gods powers (as he is literally the child of Cronus). There’s no way he would be being hyperbilic

I didn't get any notifications from this thread for some reason.

Anyway this is the 5-B calc I did for the firecracker thing ages ago, it was rejected for being a hyperbolic statement plus I used the strongest hydrogen bomb in the world. Can someone link the new calculation? Although I'm still iffy on using that since it's merely a statement.

Also what are the issues with the flooding the world feat and the Artemis constellation feat which doesn't assume literal creation of stars? Sorry I fell behind a LOT on this thread. (edit: figured out the latter)
I think the new calc was linked above.

I believe star creation was rejected because the consensus was that they’re not interacting with scientific stars, just with Greek mythology stars so it cannot be calculated (I am neutral to this conclusion).

Oof, did not know that, it would be off by a factor of 60 times, and the real result would be like 420 Exatons of tnt, which is High-5C. Might be a less reliable statement than anticipated, but it is the god's version of a Nuke so maybe not

Edit: Sorry it was 43.264 Exatons of tnt
Since we're bringing up calcs for the Master Bolt I ended up getting 6.6e+8 Terrajoules or about 15700 Megatons of TNT, using the average yield a firecracker and the average yield of a modern Hydrogen Bomb.

However, due to this calc being based on a possibly hyperbolic statement made by Chiron its accuracy may be called into question.

The only other way to determine the Master Bolt's strength would be by calculating its best feat.

To my knowledge that would be destroying half of a mountain:

Not only was Kronos’s palace gone, but the entire top of
Mount Othrys had been sheared away with it.

Did I tell you Othrys was the highest mountain in Greece?
Not anymore. Today Mount Olympus, which used to be the
smaller mountain, is over nine thousand feet tall. Mount
Othrys is only five thousand and change. Zeus and the
Hundred-Handed Ones had basically cut the mountain in
half.
It should be noted that Zeus in this instance had considerable amount of help from gods and other god-level beings to pull this off and it stated that Zeus, not specifically the master-bolt, caused (some) of the damage.

There's also the issue of the statement being written by someone who didn't witness the event first hand.

Honestly the Master Bolt doesn't have a whole lot of good feats.

It has some statements that are hard to pin down or feats that are near impossible to calculate.

I honestly don't know how we're going to be able to quantify its strength.

Hades caused a massive earthquake in Los Angeles from the Underworld which is 2310 miles underground in the first book which had consequences for mortals there. Do we consider earthquakes in the Riordanverse quantifiable like real ones?
I did bring this feat up in a different thread about the Riordanverse and I think it should be quantifiable unless of course there's some Greek mythological tale that states the ground is not actually earth and rock that I am unaware of.

Here's the quote for reference:
Hades yelled with such rage, the entire fortress shook and I knew it was not going to be a peaceful night in L.A.
[...]
In the distance, Los Angeles was on fire, plumes of smoke
rising from neighborhoods all over the city.

There had been an earthquake, all right, and it was Hades’s fault.

Since we're bringing up calcs for the Master Bolt I ended up getting 6.6e+8 Terrajoules or about 15700 Megatons of TNT, using the average yield a firecracker and the average yield of a modern Hydrogen Bomb.

However, due to this calc being based on a possibly hyperbolic statement made by Chiron its accuracy may be called into question.
the 100,000 kilotons isn't the average, I'm pretty sure that's the minimum, as he says they would usually reach millions of kilotons (ie megatons).
It could be hyperbolic, and while I doubt it is the exact proportion, it is still meant to explain to Percy and the audience how powerful the Masterbolt is.

The only other way to determine the Master Bolt's strength would be by calculating its best feat.

To my knowledge that would be destroying half of a mountain:

It should be noted that Zeus in this instance had considerable amount of help from gods and other god-level beings to pull this off and it stated that Zeus, not specifically the master-bolt, caused (some) of the damage.

There's also the issue of the statement being written by someone who didn't witness the event first hand.

Honestly the Master Bolt doesn't have a whole lot of good feats.

It has some statements that are hard to pin down or feats that are near impossible to calculate.

I honestly don't know how we're going to be able to quantify its strength.
Yeah, maybe we give it a "possibely 5C"?
I did bring this feat up in a different thread about the Riordanverse and I think it should be quantifiable unless of course there's some Greek mythological tale that states the ground is not actually earth and rock that I am unaware of.

That isn't going to yield more than Mountain Level KE, but seeing as just his scream is that powerful, it means Hades>>>>>>>>Tier 7.

While it could be used as a supporting feat, I think we need to spend our time looking for/doing calcs that we are sure will get us somewhere, seeing as right now we just have a solid tier High 6B for all gods and scaling creatures, when that doesn't make much sense given how they scale off eachother.

Also, we don't know the magnitue of the Earthquake. I'm willing to try to calc it, Idk if it will earn worthwhile results.

Also, how does everyone feal about possibely relativistic reactions for the gods? Poseidon pretty clearly shoots lasers out of his trident, and it is shown that he used these same blasts against Oceanus in their duel. The issue is their battle hapend under the ocen's surface, so we don't get to see them dodge it, it's more so implied.

I got 6-C before but now that I think about it it might not be accurate to treat the distance between the Underworld and the surface as a regular earthquake from distance calc.

Also, how does everyone feal about possibely relativistic reactions for the gods? Poseidon pretty clearly shoots lasers out of his trident, and it is shown that he used these same blasts against Oceanus in their duel. The issue is their battle hapend under the ocen's surface, so we don't get to see them dodge it, it's more so implied.
I’m leaning towards yes for relativistic reactions since the gods use attacks stated to be light and can dissolve into “pure light”. It doesn’t make sense for them not to be able to react to their attacks. Also, I recall Apollo saying he uses light arrows, I’d have to reread for the quote though.

I’m leaning towards yes for relativistic reactions since the gods use attacks stated to be light and can dissolve into “pure light”. It doesn’t make sense for them not to be able to react to their attacks. Also, I recall Apollo saying he uses light arrows, I’d have to reread for the quote though.
Well Attack Speed is not equal to Reaction Speed. The question is really if Poseidon and Oceanus' duel gives enough evidence to scale their Reaction Speed to their Attack speed

Edit: Welcome to page 6 of hell XD

Well Attack Speed is not equal to Reaction Speed. The question is really if Poseidon and Oceanus' duel gives enough evidence to scale their Reaction Speed to their Attack speed

Edit: Welcome to page 6 of hell XD
I would say no. From what we are given there is no reason to assume that the beam fired by Poseidon was anywhere close to light-speed or that Oceanus reacted to the light from said beam or the beam itself.

Then a brilliant arc of blue light shot from the rooftop of one of the tallest buildings. The light hit the giant squid, and the monster dissolved like food coloring in water.
Poseidon sighed. He raised his staff, and it changed into his regular weapon—a huge three-pointed trident. The tip glowed with blue light, and the water around it boiled with energy.
A huge sea serpent appeared from above us and spiralled down toward the roof. It was bright orange with a fanged mouth big enough to swallow a gymnasium.
Hardly looking up, Poseidon pointed his trident at the beast and zapped it with blue energy. Ka-boom! The monster burst into a million goldfish, which all swam off in terror.
When I looked back, all I could see were flashes of green and blue as my father fought the Titan, and the sea itself was torn apart by the two armies

The beam is described as both being some nebulous blue energy in the second last quote which is hardly enough enough to consider it a laser.

Additionally, the beam was described, in the first quote, as having come from a rooftop to then hit a giant squid by Percy, meaning he would have perceived it coming from one place then going another and not instantly appearing.

The fact that it did not instantly appear like something moving near lightspeed to Percy is enough evidence in my opinion to disqualify these quotes from being used as evidence for the gods possessing relativistic reactions.

The beam is described as both being some nebulous blue energy in the second last quote which is hardly enough enough to consider it a laser.

Additionally, the beam was described, in the first quote, as having come from a rooftop to then hit a giant squid by Percy, meaning he would have perceived it coming from one place then going another and not instantly appearing.

The fact that it did not instantly appear like something moving near lightspeed to Percy is enough evidence in my opinion to disqualify these quotes from being used as evidence for the gods possessing relativistic reactions.
It's described as energy once, and light is a form of energy. It is conistently shown to be a beam of light. Knowing where the beam came from doesn't mean much in terms of it's speed. He never describes it as moving slowly, or even at a percievable speed, he simply describes it as coming from a location, and hitting another.

It matches neccesary requirements for lightspeed attacks, The beam is called light multiple times, it comes from Poseidon's staff (Other Olympians, such as Athena, have staffs that channel their power in beams of light, and Apollo has lightspeed arrows), and it travels in a perfectly straight line.

It's described as energy once, and light is a form of energy. It is conistently shown to be a beam of light. Knowing where the beam came from doesn't mean much in terms of it's speed. He never describes it as moving slowly, or even at a percievable speed, he simply describes it as coming from a location, and hitting another.
I don't think you could really say that its consistently shown or stated to be explicitly be a beam of light.

Sure its described to look like a beam of light but that doesn't mean that's what it is, especially when its described as just blue energy just as often.

Here's the only instance I could find for it being described as solely a blue light:
Then a brilliant arc of blue light shot from the rooftop of one of the tallest buildings. The light hit the giant squid, and the monster dissolved like food coloring in water.
(Also I just wanted to point out that the quote actually says that is was an "arc of blue light", not that it was blue light.)

Here are the two instances I could find of it being or linked to some nebulous blue glowing energy:
Poseidon sighed. He raised his staff, and it changed into his regular weapon—a huge three-pointed trident. The tip glowed with blue light, and the water around it boiled with energy.
A huge sea serpent appeared from above us and spiralled down toward the roof. It was bright orange with a fanged mouth big enough to swallow a gymnasium.
Hardly looking up, Poseidon pointed his trident at the beast and zapped it with blue energy. Ka-boom! The monster burst into a million goldfish, which all swam off in terror.

I still stand by my argument that Percy seeing the beam come from and go to a place disqualifies it from being any kind of light speed attack.

It matches neccesary requirements for lightspeed attacks, The beam is called light multiple times, it comes from Poseidon's staff (Other Olympians, such as Athena, have staffs that channel their power in beams of light, and Apollo has lightspeed arrows), and it travels in a perfectly straight line.
I have a vague memory of Athena using a beam attack, but I don't recall Apollo having lightspeed arrows. Could you link the feats/quotes and/or calcs here because that would certainly be useful in determining a rating for their reaction and combat speed.

I have a vague memory of Athena using a beam attack, but I don't recall Apollo having lightspeed arrows. Could you link the feats/quotes and/or calcs here because that would certainly be useful in determining a rating for their reaction and combat speed.
The arrows I think are alreay noted on Apollo's page, they don't really help with reactions as to my knowledge, nobody has reacted to them. Pretty sure he just called them light arrows though.

Also it's described as energy once (Which light is anyways), I don't think the sea boiling with energy counts as the beam being described as energy. Otheriwse, it is called a blue light twice, and flat out light once, and there's no reason to believe that Percy traced the beam as it was fired.

For example, I can tell where a beam from a laser pointer came from, that doesn't mean I have lightspeed reactions or the beam isn't lightspeed. It's shown that the weapon glows quite brightly at it's tip. It's more reasonable, and more heavily implied, that Percy saw the starting and ending location of the beam, without neccesarily tracing the beam.

I don't think the validity of the Sol attack should be in question as much as if it Oceanus and Poseidon's duel proves they could react to the beam as it happens off screen.

Well, it depends on if they can dodge each others' blasts, and whether those blasts are travelling at the speed of light, or have unquantifiable magic properties.

Also, slightly off topic, but we're going to have to start a CRT for the Norse gods as well, because I just glanced at their profiles and ooh boy. We should start the CRT after this one is done, but we have unsourced claims, and non-existent link. The moon level World Serpent comes from it's mass (Which we are never told, nor has it been calculated), and it's hypersonic speed, which isn't linked, and he is only given subsonic on his profile. Just something to note.

The arrows I think are alreay noted on Apollo's page, they don't really help with reactions as to my knowledge, nobody has reacted to them. Pretty sure he just called them light arrows though.

Also it's described as energy once (Which light is anyways), I don't think the sea boiling with energy counts as the beam being described as energy. Otheriwse, it is called a blue light twice, and flat out light once, and there's no reason to believe that Percy traced the beam as it was fired.

For example, I can tell where a beam from a laser pointer came from, that doesn't mean I have lightspeed reactions or the beam isn't lightspeed. It's shown that the weapon glows quite brightly at it's tip. It's more reasonable, and more heavily implied, that Percy saw the starting and ending location of the beam, without neccesarily tracing the beam.

I don't think the validity of the Sol attack should be in question as much as if it Oceanus and Poseidon's duel proves they could react to the beam as it happens off screen.
Well as I said there's no evidence of Oceanus reacting to the blast so it can't really be used as a reaction feat either way.

I concede that the sea boiling with energy doesn't counts as the beam being described as energy, but the Trident glowing with blue light doesn't mean that the beam it fires is a laser made from blue light.

This leaves only one description for it being a beam made of energy and one for it having the quality of blue light.
You can't say the quote about the "flashes of light" supports the beam being blue light as that would be true for the beam being both light or "energy".

Another thing is that Percy wouldn't actually know what the beam was made. All he has to go off is visual appearance. Sure to him it looked like it was made of blue light or blue energy but that doesn't mean that's what it is. Emitting blue light is not the same as it actually being blue light, a distinction you seem to be forgetting. Percy knows what a laser is and yet never describes the beams as such.

If we look at the beams physical properties as described by the book its pretty clear its not an laser as we know it. It doesn't act like a laser at all, with it solely transmuting and erasing targets as opposed to disintegrating or burning them.

I am well aware that lasers are made of electromagnetic waves that carry electromagnetic energy, however energy in fiction is usually portrayed as some physical matter when in reality its a quality, the ability of an object to do work, however the former is the case within the Riordanverse.

For example, Hades' beam attack (which should be comparable to Poseidon's) is described by Percy as being black energy, which he reacts to and deflects back at him.
Hades raised his staff. A bolt of dark energy shot toward me, but I deflected it off my blade and slammed into him.
The god and I both tumbled out of the chariot.
Lasers cannot be black and would be too fast for Percy to react as he's failed to react to lightning numerous times in the past and by that I mean every single time he's faced it.

I'm still not convinced that these quotes alone can be used to give gods relativistic reactions. However, its not up to me to decide that.

I shall defer to more experienced members for their verdict on the matter.

Well as I said there's no evidence of Oceanus reacting to the blast so it can't really be used as a reaction feat either way.
Yeah that's what I was kind of thinking. there's always a chance Poseidon misses, or gets aim dodged.
If we look at the beams physical properties as described by the book its pretty clear its not an laser as we know it. It doesn't act like a laser at all, with it solely transmuting and erasing targets as opposed to disintegrating or burning them.
Well it does with the Giant Squid, but I can see your point, it clearly can have a magical effect.
I am well aware that lasers are made of electromagnetic waves that carry electromagnetic energy, however energy in fiction is usually portrayed as some physical matter when in reality its a quality, the ability of an object to do work, however the former is the case within the Riordanverse.

For example, Hades' beam attack (which should be comparable to Poseidon's) is described by Percy as being black energy, which he reacts to and deflects back at him.

Lasers cannot be black and would be too fast for Percy to react as he's failed to react to lightning numerous times in the past and by that I mean every single time he's faced it.
You were willing to concede, and so am I. The only way I can solve the magic properties vs it's vaporization properties is headcanon, and while we have a laser example from Athena, the Hades beam adds uncertanty to the feat, as it could be light, or it could be an energy beam. And the fact that he uses energy and light doesn't help narrow it down.

It will be up to more experienced Staff Members, but given your arguments, I am more than inclined to agree with you.

Perhaps somebody should explain everything that needs to be evaluated here in an easy to understand manner, so I can call for some staff to help out with evaluating it?

We have this quote of Poseidon shooting a blue laser "Then a brilliant arc of blue light shot from the rooftop of one of the tallest buildings. The light hit the giant squid, and the monster dissolved like food coloring in water."

But it is also described as energy once "A huge sea serpent appeared from above us and spiralled down toward the roof. It was bright orange with a fanged mouth big enough to swallow a gymnasium.
Hardly looking up, Poseidon pointed his trident at the beast and zapped it with blue energy. Ka-boom! The monster burst into a million goldfish, which all swam off in terror."

It could be light as Athena has a staff which shoots out light, but it could also be energy similarly to what Hades used against Percy, which he reacted to, "
Hades raised his staff. A bolt of dark energy shot toward me, but I deflected it off my blade and slammed into him.
The god and I both tumbled out of the chariot."

I think, the best answer is that these two beams for Poseidon are different, as one melts a creature while the other transmutes it. One is deribed as a laser and the other as blue energy.

The question is, if the Sol laser is valid, then would Poseidon's duel with Ocenus count for relativistic reactions even though the fight happens off screen.

The question is, if the Sol laser is valid, then would Poseidon's duel with Ocenus count for relativistic reactions even though the fight happens off screen.
Since we never get any indication of how the battle went after Percy left we honestly can't say.

It could be light as Athena has a staff which shoots out light, but it could also be energy similarly to what Hades used against Percy, which he reacted to, "
Could I get a quote for Athena's staff shooting lasers?
I think, the best answer is that these two beams for Poseidon are different, as one melts a creature while the other transmutes it. One is deribed as a laser and the other as blue energy.
It was never described as a laser just as an arc of blue light by someone who has no idea what it actually is.

Statements of it being glowing blue energy or blue light made by Percy shouldn't been taken literally.

The idea that the beams, since they have different effects, are different beams might have some credence to it, however we still do not know how fast either of the beams are based on the information given.

We cannot state that Poseidon's "arc of blue light" is a laser as it doesn't act like one.

It turned a sky-scraper sized squid into goo instantly instead of burning or disintegrating it like a laser would and it was described by Percy as coming from somewhere without it existing already and moving:
A laser after being activated would simply appear meaning the direction it came from would not be obvious like how Percy describes, especially considering Percy was a fair distance from both origin of the beam.

Since we never get any indication of how the battle went after Percy left we honestly can't say.

Could I get a quote for Athena's staff shooting lasers?

It was never described as a laser just as an arc of blue light by someone who has no idea what it actually is.

Statements of it being glowing blue energy or blue light made by Percy shouldn't been taken literally.

The idea that the beams, since they have different effects, are different beams might have some credence to it, however we still do not know how fast either of the beams are based on the information given.

We cannot state that Poseidon's "arc of blue light" is a laser as it doesn't act like one.

It turned a sky-scraper sized squid into goo instantly instead of burning or disintegrating it like a laser would and it was described by Percy as coming from somewhere without it existing already and moving:

A laser after being activated would simply appear meaning the direction it came from would not be obvious like how Percy describes, especially considering Percy was a fair distance from both origin of the beam.
This is actually good, because ti means the staff team can see both sides to the argument. Makes the decision more accurate.

Just wanna say that Poseidon’s energy beam can’t really be compared to the Hades situation since light is still energy and contradicts nothing whereas Hades’ bolt is only ever called energy.

As for the big squid thing, it dissolving into dust is …… how every monster dies. Not really an antifeat for the attack. Riptide dusts monsters too but we aren’t gonna think that it didn’t slice through Medusa’s and pulverised her body instead.

We have this quote of Poseidon shooting a blue laser "Then a brilliant arc of blue light shot from the rooftop of one of the tallest buildings. The light hit the giant squid, and the monster dissolved like food coloring in water."

But it is also described as energy once "A huge sea serpent appeared from above us and spiralled down toward the roof. It was bright orange with a fanged mouth big enough to swallow a gymnasium.
Hardly looking up, Poseidon pointed his trident at the beast and zapped it with blue energy. Ka-boom! The monster burst into a million goldfish, which all swam off in terror."

@Elizhaa @Everything12 @Duedate8898 @Planck69 @KingTempest @QuasiYuri @Armorchompy @UchihaSlayer96

Would any of you be willing to help evaluate this please? The issue is whether or not we can consider these energy beams to have lightspeed properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back