• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Thread 58: Shirts are going off and Frieza is a huge fodder now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate how much they're nerfing Jiren. What happened to the guy who stared away the Spirit Bomb? What happened to the guy who only slightly changed his expression when Ultra Instinct hit him? What happened to the guy who Vados said doesn't have the weakness of being caught off guard? Now he's getting wounded by 17 cause he was off guard.

@Ever Very bland and generic, but much better than nothing. Personally I'd prefer perhaps that Jiren used to be evil, did things he wasn't proud of, but eventually reformed. So he wants to use his wish as his ultimate redemption.

Theglassman12 said:
Royalty1702 said:
Wow, Jiren's parents died because an evildoer killed them. How original.
Better than no backstory, or a backstory that's just stupid. *cough* *cough*

I dunno. I kinda think no backstory is better than a bad backstory. I mean Hit is a character with no backstory, and he still managed to be a far more interesting and deep character. If they gave Hit a generic backstory, I think it would actually damage the character's image more.

It would've been better if Jiren was a survivor from the Previously erased 6 universes and he worked hard to become stronger than a God of D and wants to Ressurect his universe ƒæǃæǃæǃæǃæÇ

Hit is a amazing character even without a backstory, honestly I think leaving Jiren a mystery would have been a smarter choice even if I don't find the backstory to be bad.

@Meleenium just because he may get a cookie cutter backstory, it doesn't mean he can't have depth.

I've seen other fictional characters that have some generic backstory, like losing their parents or home to a bad guy, or having to fend for themselves, or having amnesia, or anything that's been done to death, but if they have a great personality, some depth to their character, it would make up for their backstory.

Theglassman12 said:
@Meleenium just because he may get a cookie cutter backstory, it doesn't mean he can't have depth.
I'm sure he could have depth. I'm not so sure he will have depth. The series is about to end soon and the generic backstory is probably all we're gonna be left with for Jiren.

Theglassman12 said:
Just because Super is ending it doesn't mean it's the end of Dragon ball as we know it.

Dragon Ball is almost certainly gonna continue in the future. It makes too much money not to. But if we do get another series, it won't be for a year at least.

The point is, Jiren is not ending on a good note here. Even if a few years down the line, he becomes a well developed character, we're still gonna go a year or so with him having the image of a generic, somewhat self-centered, and arrogant character with a shallow backstory. His character developement wasn't handled well.

@Melee you do know that a lot of characters start off with not that much depth right??? There's numerous charactes out there that at first doesn't seem like much, but the further the story progresses, the more you learn about them and symphathize with them.

Theglassman12 said:
@Melee you do know that a lot of characters start off with not that much depth right???
And that's what makes them generic. Because there's a lot of them, as you pointed out.

Theglassman12 said:
@Melee Did you not read what I said in the latter sentence???

I get what you're saying, but "there's a lot of them" is not an argument, nor does it make it any better. All you're pointing out is that character development issues are common. Which is no secret. If they get depth later, then that's great, but better sooner than later. Or better that they at least start out with likable qualities even if too much isn't revealed until way later.

I again cite Hit as a good example. A mysterious character. Not too much is known about him, but what little is known about him is ******* awesome! And he's a character that could still get way more depth later.

How is it not an argument??? Many writers do this to have a subversion of expectations to make you surprised that a character has more to it than meets the eye.

Theglassman12 said:
How is it not an argument??? Many writers do this to have a subversion of expectations to make you surprised that a character has more to it than meets the eye.

Because it's not. Saying something is okay because it's common is a logical fallacy.

Now saying it's good to build up surprise and challenge expectation is a different argument. Still, it can be executed poorly. Jiren is an example of it being done poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back