• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super: Grand Priest Conceptual Manipulation Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
“The void has no time but they just created a pillar to measure time” makes no sense respectfully.
The assumption that GP "literally added space and time" to the realm is a very bold assumption in the face of this apparent contradiction. Nothing actually indicates that he does this, and I am generally opposed to resolving contradictions by writing an off-panel event to explain it.

The assumption that GP "literally added space and time" to the realm is a very bold assumption in the face of this apparent contradiction. Nothing actually indicates that he does this, and I am generally opposed to resolving contradictions by writing an off-panel event to explain it.
Since you initially agreed with the thread, though, I'd like to ask you about something that was brought up.

The World of Void is stated in-universe to have no space and time (and the guide says "the concepts of space and time do not exist"), yet after the Tournament of Power is set up, Hit is able to use his Time-Skip and Anilaza is able to bend space through sheer power. What do you make of this?

The accepted thread claimed that Grand Priest did something to the world of void, are you saying that this scene does not occur?

What do you make of this?
The non-lore answer to these sorts of contradictions is usually that the author just did not take it into consideration. Like when two people are in space and are able to speak aloud to eachother even though there's no air to transfer the vibrations.

In situations like that, I am a bit put off by the idea that we should take it upon ourselves as the audience to imagine a solution like "maybe they have special powers that allowed them to communicate verbally in a vacuum." As far as this specific scenario is concerned, "GP adding space and time to this realm" resolves the contradiction, but is there evidence of him doing that? Like, genuine actual evidence that he did something like "added space and time" to a void, or are we taking some incredibly vague scene and saying "well, despite appearances, this non-descript action simply MUST have also added space and time because otherwise the story doesn't make sense!"

I feel that we are likely doing the latter, as your reading of the scene largely matches my own.

Basically, the Grand Priest was agreed to have added the concept of time to a void with no concept of time. Even putting aside the aforementioned issue, though, I don't think this is the case. This scene demonstrates my point perfectly, so I'll cover the important parts about it here:
  • The pillar drops, and only then does the Grand Priest make note of the time that has elapsed
  • The Grand Priest raises his hand after declaring the tournament half over, and then the background changes - after he does the hand raise.
See the issue here? Rather than the Grand Priest introducing a concept of time, this scene indicates that the pillar was simply created to be some form of measuring it despite the void everyone's in. Not only that, but the tournament background doesn't seem to naturally change to reflect this. Rather, the Grand Priest manually causes this via the raise of his hand.
These are the two important questions I'd have for the opposition:

1) What specific scene, whether it be in the anime or manga, do you believe represents the Grand Priest "adding space and time" to the void?

2) Do you believe the scene in-and-of-itself justifies the belief that GP "added space and time?" As in, if we weren't previously told it was a void without space or time, would you just automatically view the scene that way or is it being interpreted that way specifically to resolve the apparent contradiction?

I wasn't going to get into it until I saw your comment

Daishinkan himself put gravity as being able to nullify flying abilities, except for characters who were born with wings and are able to control the void.

It wasn't a mere supposition, but facts, Daishinkan was shaping that place, even before the tournament of power he was thinking of things to do

Before the world of the void had no time or space-time, but Daishinkan himself mentions that there will be time in that place while he was building battlefields for the users

As Whis himself mentions, there is nothing in the world of the void, confirming once again the lack of space-time

If Daishinkan didn't put the concept of time there, who exactly did? Because no one but him is able to control space-time, all angels are able to control space-time, I don't see enough rebuttal for him to miss something

It is mentioned twice that time is a concept in Dragon Ball, i don't see anything to refute that.

And both guides are official

You can't put something that doesn't exist in a place without conceptual manipulation, because you'd practically have to manipulate that concept to put it in that place.

Last edited:
1) What specific scene, whether it be in the anime or manga, do you believe represents the Grand Priest "adding space and time" to the void?
The preparation he did beforehand. It’s explicitly mentioned he took special care to prepare the ring and void itself for the Tournament. Thus, any alterations to the Void’s nature we can discern from before that moment and the Tournament itself can solely and ONLY be attributed to him.
2) Do you believe the scene in-and-of-itself justifies the belief that GP "added space and time?" As in, if we weren't previously told it was a void without space or time, would you just automatically view the scene that way or is it being interpreted that way specifically to resolve the apparent contradiction?
Sort of. We clearly see that the rules of each person’s existence/home was taken into account for the sake of fairness. Hence why no one but those genetically predisposed via wings can fly, which is selectively applied to only the contestants. Even if the Void wasn’t stated to lack space and time, Hit himself would be utilizing Time Skip and Anniliaza was using Spatial attacks in a Dimension outside of the Main Space-Times within the Macrocosms (meaning Hit’s power would be affecting the Greater Timeline overarching all of the Space Times), or if not that, can operate outside of time. Especially since he would then be bringing his own personal time dimension wherever. Anailiza would be fine, though, admittedly, because there’s no indication that the WoV is “lacking in space.” Because that’s not something you can model visually.

I think a Possibly is fine but I'm not opposed to removing it with this information.
OP seems fine to me.
Anyways, I had doubts about the ability addition in the first place and was surprised to know it even passed to begin with.

Shoot to kill, I agree.
Agree with the removal.
Could you give more opinions here, because more arguments came up and i want to hear your opinions again.

The preparation he did beforehand. It’s explicitly mentioned he took special care to prepare the ring and void itself for the Tournament. Thus, any alterations to the Void’s nature we can discern from before that moment and the Tournament itself can solely and ONLY be attributed to him.

Sort of. We clearly see that the rules of each person’s existence/home was taken into account for the sake of fairness. Hence why no one but those genetically predisposed via wings can fly, which is selectively applied to only the contestants. Even if the Void wasn’t stated to lack space and time, Hit himself would be utilizing Time Skip and Anniliaza was using Spatial attacks in a Dimension outside of the Main Space-Times within the Macrocosms (meaning Hit’s power would be affecting the Greater Timeline overarching all of the Space Times), or if not that, can operate outside of time. Especially since he would then be bringing his own personal time dimension wherever. Anailiza would be fine, though, admittedly, because there’s no indication that the WoV is “lacking in space.” Because that’s not something you can model visually.
Hit manages to remove time from the Universe and store it in its dimension, as mentioned by Vados

Anailiza could distort spacetime, as Daishinkan shaped the void and even placed oxygen for them to breathe, that place was completely manipulated by the Daishinkan.

I'm confused by for and against the grain arguments, but leaning towards the OP making sense.
The way I see it is:

Either the statements that the world of void is devoid of time and space is superfluous and not taken seriously by the narrative.

Or

The statement is taken seriously, and the grand priest added space and time to the void when he constructed the arena, (which also required him adding matter and gravity).

I am supporting to the second one.

I'm kind of neutral about this whole thing.

But in the question of spacetime space, he had to put matter + gravity, two things that were explicitly shown. Because in terms of time, would it be different? (I won't take gravity into account, because fiction doesn't always make space and time so intertwined)

I mean, where would Hit get the time to store it? (it's not worth talking about the hyperline)

Deagon spoke about "the work not taking this into consideration"

But if the work took into account things like putting oxygen in the arena, gravity and space, I don't see why the issue of time would be so absurd to assume, when angels (and consequently possibly daishinkan) already have time manipulation.

Well, that's what I think.

Yeah this is pretty straightforward. Adding space and time to a space that lacks it is just spacetime manip. The phrase "lacking the concept of space" is applicable to any non-spatial realm, "lacking the concept of" its a common figure of speech. So common it has its entry in the Cambridge dictionary:

That doesn't work here, this is referring to people's thoughts. Unless the realm itself is sentient and the GP literally just went "this is what time is BTW," this interpretation makes little sense.

That doesn't work here, this is referring to people's thoughts
It's also commonly used as a matter of emphasis in fiction. I recall a spear that could essentially create a portal between itself and the intended target (so you stab forward and it still hits them basically anywhere they are) and it was described as having "no concept of distance." This wasn't literal, it was an expression.

In fairness, the specific wording is "where the concepts of space and time do not exist," not something like "a place with no concept of space and time." That might be worth considering
You forgot to put the whole part, where the sentence says dimension where there is no concept of time and space

"The place where the tournament of power will take place is a dimension where the concepts of space and time don't exist"

Pretty sure he's agreeing with you.

Anyways, I'm leaning towards a "possibly". I don't think the arguments against are that strong, and I do think it's a reasonable, if not safe assumption that Daishinkhan added the time there.

I know Conceptual Manipulation can't be handed out willy nilly, but it's proved GP can control the WoV and already influenced stuff like gravity, the colour of the void, etc.

Pretty sure he's agreeing with you.
My Google translator isn't very good, although i think he wants to say maybe it's a flowery phrase something like that, that's what i understood from my translator.

Or maybe it doesn't specify the place, but is it really the same thing? It seems like you're speaking in a different way and didn't include the entire sentence which specifies exactly what that location is.

My Google translator isn't very good, although i think he wants to say maybe it's a flowery phrase something like that, that's what i understood from my translator.

Or maybe it doesn't specify the place, but is it really the same thing? It seems like you're speaking in a different way and didn't include the entire sentence which specifies exactly what that location is.
Quantu is right. I'm saying pretty much the same thing, that the World of Void is stated to be a dimension where "the concepts of space and time do not exist" - which isn't the phrasing that was argued to be hyperbolic

It doesn't convey, you're trying to distort the entire sentence to get where you want, which isn't true here.

Here you are specifying the place, where it is said that there is no concept of time or space.
I believe he's on your side on that front

It's also commonly used as a matter of emphasis in fiction. I recall a spear that could essentially create a portal between itself and the intended target (so you stab forward and it still hits them basically anywhere they are) and it was described as having "no concept of distance." This wasn't literal, it was an expression.
Whataboutism aside, this doesn't even act as an analogue. A weapon with the special ability to ignore distance, emphasized as having no concept of distance against a void with a blanket statement of "this is and place where the concepts of time and space don't exist ", there is no emphasis on anything, this is a massive reach.

Well, we clearly disagree on that part. But in any case I think using some foreign language version of a guidebook instead of the original Japanese is unjustifiable.
Bro, there is no version of this guide in Japanese.

This was done in this language, which is El Manga Legendario, another guide that we use for some things that only exist in a foreign language, there is no Japanese version.

Bro, there is no version of this guide in Japanese.

This was done in this language, which is El Manga Legendario, another guide that we use for some things that only exist in a foreign language, there is no Japanese version.
That's still extremely sus. I'd never rely on a non-Japanese source for an anime or manga.

It's not Spain, it's Chile

Also for what it's worth, it's also a sticker album

The phrase "lacking the concept of space" is applicable to any non-spatial realm, "lacking the concept of" its a common figure of speech
this is a bad argument, because you have no basis for assuming the idiom works the same way in Japanese, which is a different culture and language.

That's still extremely sus. I'd never rely on a non-Japanese source for an anime or manga.
If it means anything to you: El Manga Legendario is used for DB information since it was both published by and the text inside of it was produced by Shueisha themselves, so I can understand why it'd be used even though it's a non Japanese source.

I have no comment about the other guide since I don't know if that one was also produced by Shueisha or just published by them, so take that for what you will.

What do you mean
It's a hard concept for americans like you to understand, but it's a thing in latin american countries like Chile

it's a thing where you get the album with the places to paste in stickers to complete it, and then you have to buy sticker packets in the grocery store or something, where you get random stickers, and it's like a game to get all the stickers you want

Well, that's not really a reason since there are DB things that for example Shueisha only makes outside of Japan.

Like El Manga Legendario, which from what I saw, had texts that were produced by Shueisha herself.

You couldn't dismiss something like this just because "Not Japanese" when it's something done by the DB holder.

In the case of the one used for the concept thing, it was licensed, but still.

plenty of evidence that the Daishinkan was manipulating the concept
Your evidence is a Spanish guidebook that restated the information from the anime (devoid of time and space) slightly differently (lacks the concepts of time and space).

It's really not good evidence.

Why are you acting like this is a hard concept for Americans to grasp? This comment just comes off as needlessly rude.
I wasn't offended. I get where you're coming from, I guess I assumed he was just trying to say "this isn't something with a direct USA analogue, so it might come off as odd or be hard to wrap your head around."

Why are you acting like this is a hard concept for Americans to grasp? This comment just comes off as needlessly rude.
Literally how was he being rude? This is essentially just another way of saying that something is very different than anything normal in the states, so we might not fully understand it at first. There’s no need to hound the guy over a common phrase lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back