• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread 100

.....no? Cooler and Hirudegarn are consideres cannon purely because they have no contradictions
Cooler's considered canon because there's no contradictions, one of the Daizenshuu implies he's apart of the Timeline, AND he LITERALLY APPEARS in GT. Wrath of the Dragon is considered canon solely because Goku uses Dragon Fist, which debuted from that film, and because GT Trunks has Tapion's Sword, also, yes, because of lack of contradictions. However, Deadzone and Fusion Reborn do not fit this mould, and those are the films I explicitly referenced for this rule, so bringing up Cooler and Hirudegarn is completely irrelevant.
yeah, which is why we assume it is simply a retcon that the anime made over the movie, something that is......incredibly hard to argue when you have to retcon and basically rewritte most of the stories of the movies for them to fit
Which is THE POINT I'M MAKING. We do it INHERENTLY for the other two, so there is NO REASON why we shouldn't for the rest that are indirectly made canon via Fusion Reborn.
Does it need to fit to the perfect files? What is the exact statement there again? Migjt be worth making a thread over it
That's a valid but separate matter from the point. Questioning whether the Perfect Files adequately do enough to make Fusion Reborn Canon in itself is totally fine and I think it's worth bringing up in a new CRT, but is totally separate from the actual point in hand: As it currently stands, the logic that allows Dead Zone and Fusion Reborn ignore their contradictions also applies to the other Z-Films.

Question-As I'm working on this GT profile, I'm about to remove NPI ("Can harm the Ghost Warriors"), because as far as I'm aware, Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans isn't accepted as part of the Toei Canon. If it is, can I be told the reasons why so I know whether or not I should remove the ability?
Just change the example, for example Piccolo interacting with souls in the Toei Anime. There’s a plethora of different ones in the DB games Ki album that belong to the toeiverse you can find some good examples.

if we accept movies based on not being contradictory why not accept bojack
trunks is there when he should be back to his future

and return of cooler?
......that one cannot fit ANYWHERE in the timeline, what do you mean "no contradictions"?

Cooler's considered canon because there's no contradictions, one of the Daizenshuu implies he's apart of the Timeline, AND he LITERALLY APPEARS in GT.
yeah.......so since the Guide isn't contradicting the anime, as in, the movie has no contradictions, we accept it as cannon

Wrath of the Dragon is considered canon solely because Goku uses Dragon Fist, which debuted from that film, and because GT Trunks has Tapion's Sword, also, yes, because of lack of contradictions.
.....yeah.......so because it has no contradictions and explains stuff.........why say the same i said?

, and those are the films I explicitly referenced for this rule, so bringing up Cooler and Hirudegarn is completely irrelevant.
..........what? no, you said it was a "rule of thumb" when no such a thing is possible, else all movies would be cannon by default, Fusion Reborn or not, the very fact that if the 2 movies mentioned had contradictions they wouldn't have been accepted is proof enough that such rule you spoke of doesn't exist

Which is THE POINT I'M MAKING. We do it INHERENTLY for the other two, so there is NO REASON why we shouldn't for the rest that are indirectly made canon via Fusion Reborn.
"iherently"? no, for Garlic Jr it is a very, VERY specific case where the main cannon material, the anime, makes him appear with a saga for himself, thus making him need to be cannon by default regardless of the problems his movie has

Neither Fusion Reborn, nor any of the other movies, has such privilege, if you are going to use the perfect files.........well, that is secondary cannon, if the main cannon contradicts it, then it is as good as nothing, the Anime gives no way for all the movies fusion reborn show to be cannon, therefore Fusion Reborn can't be cannon alongside those movies

i am now decided and certain in making a thread for fusion reborn now, thank you for showing me how much non sense that one being cannon truly is

That's a valid but separate matter from the point. Questioning whether the Perfect Files adequately do enough to make Fusion Reborn Canon in itself is totally fine and I think it's worth bringing up in a new CRT, but is totally separate from the actual point in hand: As it currently stands, the logic that allows Dead Zone and Fusion Reborn ignore their contradictions also applies to the other Z-Films.
no, Dead Zone has a VERY specific reason for why it has to be cannon, if you saw the problems with Fusion Reborn being cannon, your first instinct should be correcting it instead of trying to apply the wrong logic to all other movies imo

"iherently"? no, for Garlic Jr it is a very, VERY specific case where the main cannon material, the anime, makes him appear with a saga for himself, thus making him need to be cannon by default regardless of the problems his movie has
Literally what I'm describing. The inherent disregard of the contradictions due to what must happen. I feel like you're not actually taking in what I'm saying.
Neither Fusion Reborn, nor any of the other movies, has such privilege, if you are going to use the perfect files.........well, that is secondary cannon, if the main cannon contradicts it, then it is as good as nothing, the Anime gives no way for all the movies fusion reborn show to be cannon, therefore Fusion Reborn can't be cannon alongside those movies
The Perfect Files act as the Daizenshuu for GT, one, TWO, this runs into the issues of applying a double standard. Garlic Jr gets to disregard his contradictions due to what we're shown/told. We are "told" (as that statement is iffy) that Fusion Reborn is canon, ergo, the contradictions, like Dead Zone, do not matter. You either reject Dead Zone, or you allow the others the same standards. It's literally that simple.
i am now decided and certain in making a thread for fusion reborn now, thank you for showing me how much non sense that one being cannon truly is
Interested to see how it goes.
no, Dead Zone has a VERY specific reason for why it has to be cannon, if you saw the problems with Fusion Reborn being cannon, your first instinct should be correcting it instead of trying to apply the wrong logic to all other movies imo
NO?
I'm saying the logic should be applied without double standards. If the statement is still considered rock solid in your new thread, then Fusion Reborn stays canon, it would be on the foundation of ignoring contradictions. This then makes other films canon, and any contradictions, LIKE DEAD ZONE, should be ignored for the same reasons. If this is NOT the CASE, then DEAD ZONE should ALSO be non-canon. (Under the hypothetical Fusion Reborn maintains Canon.) I'm discussing the strange double standard you're applying.

Nothing more, nothing less.

And I repeated what you said to give more context, because Cooler and Wrath of the Dragon "having no contradictions" ultimately didn't matter whatsoever in canonizing it those films outside of making it easier to believe. The actual bits that canonized them were specific moves, guides, cameos, etc.

Literally what I'm describing. The inherent disregard of the contradictions due to what must happen. I feel like you're not actually taking in what I'm saying.
oh no, i get what you are saying........i am just saying that this doesn't apply to Fusion Reborn, or any of the other movies, at all

The Perfect Files act as the Daizenshuu for GT, one
i mean, that's cool but it doesn't change my point really, still secondary to the main material itself

, TWO, this runs into the issues of applying a double standard. Garlic Jr gets to disregard his contradictions due to what we're shown/told. We are "told" (as that statement is iffy) that Fusion Reborn is canon, ergo, the contradictions, like Dead Zone, do not matter. You either reject Dead Zone, or you allow the others the same standards. It's literally that simple.
no because what "tells" us that Garlic Jr happen is the main cannon material itself, which is main cannon and holds the utmost importance in deciding what is cannon to itself or not as it is the base material, perfect files on the other hand, is secondary material, which needs to conform to the main cannon's sets, not the opposite, if it contradicts the main cannon, then we don't use it as it is secondary to said main cannon, now if the main cannon said "fusion reborn happened" then we would need to conform to it as a retcon since the main cannon has as much priority as itself because......it is itself

there is no "double standards" here as the 2 sources that talk about the 2 movies are different levels of canonicity, by default, one being much higher than the other

Interested to see how it goes.
thank you for the support, not joking with what i will say next btw, would you mind if i gave you credits for the inspiration to the thread?

NO?
I'm saying the logic should be applied without double standards. If the statement is still considered rock solid in your new thread, then Fusion Reborn stays canon, it would be on the foundation of ignoring contradictions. This then makes other films canon, and any contradictions, LIKE DEAD ZONE, should be ignored for the same reasons. If this is NOT the CASE, then DEAD ZONE should ALSO be non-canon. (Under the hypothetical Fusion Reborn maintains Canon.) I'm discussing the strange double standard you're applying.

Nothing more, nothing less.
and i just explained why, by nature, it isn't a double standard, a guide does not have more cannonicity than the main material it is covering, if said material contradicts the guide, then we ignore it

And I repeated what you said to give more context, because Cooler and Wrath of the Dragon "having no contradictions" ultimately didn't matter whatsoever in canonizing it those films outside of making it easier to believe. The actual bits that canonized them were specific moves, guides, cameos, etc.
it having no contradictions was OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE for them being accepted as cannon, if Hirudegarn, for example, had egregious contradictions like, say, Three of Might, then it wouldn't have ever been accepted as cannon to begin with

There are some leftover movies with no canonicality pointers, and there is a dead zone written into the timeline, and twice - through the databooks and through a separate arc in DBZ. In such cases, it's obviously necessary to ignore some inconsistencies, since the episodes themselves are established as absolute canon. It's not a matter of contradictions, it's a matter of the absoluteness of canon, against which nothing can be done.

oh no, i get what you are saying........i am just saying that this doesn't apply to Fusion Reborn, or any of the other movies, at all
It literally does.
i mean, that's cool but it doesn't change my point really, still secondary to the main material itself
What helps validate Cooler is literally a few frames and an actual guide.
no because what "tells" us that Garlic Jr happen is the main cannon material itself, which is main cannon and holds the utmost importance in deciding what is cannon to itself or not as it is the base material, perfect files on the other hand, is secondary material, which needs to conform to the main cannon's sets, not the opposite, if it contradicts the main cannon, then we don't use it as it is secondary to said main cannon, now if the main cannon said "fusion reborn happened" then we would need to conform to it as a retcon since the main cannon has as much priority as itself because......it is itself
This argument is circular and self-defeating.

If it being true allows the ignoring of contradictions, then by all accounts secondary sources written by the people who created GT validating it should then allow ignoring of contradictions. This means those same contradictions can’t disprove a secondary source, by that same token. To illustrate what I mean:

Canon Allows Ignoring Contradictions -> Guide Establishes Canon -> Contradictions Disprove Canoncity -> Canon Allows Ignoring Contradictions.
there is no "double standards" here as the 2 sources that talk about the 2 movies are different levels of canonicity, by default, one being much higher than the other
There absolutely is. It being from a guide (which also is the most primary piece of evidence for Cooler) does not make it less important when the whole point of the discussion is being canon allows you to ignore the contradictions (ala Dead Zone).
thank you for the support, not joking with what i will say next btw, would you mind if i gave you credits for the inspiration to the thread?
Sure.
and i just explained why, by nature, it isn't a double standard, a guide does not have more cannonicity than the main material it is covering, if said material contradicts the guide, then we ignore it

it having no contradictions was OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE for them being accepted as cannon, if Hirudegarn, for example, had egregious contradictions like, say, Three of Might, then it wouldn't have ever been accepted as cannon to begin with
By this standard, Bojack Unbound should also be canon. As should the original LSSJ Broly film. There’s no contradictions. The reason why it’s not accepted as canon is because there are no pointers of canoncity. The contradictions, or lack thereof, literally do not matter. And yes, he would have, because Tapion’s Sword appears in GT, as does the Ryuken, things that originate from that film, necessarily meaning that they are canon. Again: Contradictions aren’t the issue, the “absoluteness of canon” (as BitestDust puts it) IS. (As in, things that prove what does/MUST happen regardless of the inconsistencies that do or do not exist.)

GV1zgyJWgAISXT0

Back