• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Downstreamers Downgrade. Possibly to High 1-C ot 2-A

Given that 'encompassing all mathematics' is not tacked in anymore in Downstreamers' profile, I believe, 'At least' part should be removed. Or maybe Downstreamers should even be downgraded all the way to High 1-C or even 2-A.

Because Downstreamers' High 1-B rating hinged on 'encompassing all mathematics'. Before it was decided that 'encompassing all mathematics' is solid 1-A. And it was decided again that Manifold is not 'encompassing all mathematics' after all.

++++++++++++++++++++++

2-A rating

Posts from https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/1370650

[Aeyu said :

"Infinity is significant, you see," Nemoto said, too rapidly. "There is, umm, a qualitative difference between a mere large number, however large, and infinity. In the infinite manifold, in that infinite ensemble, all logically possible universes must exist. And therefore all logically possible destinies must unfold. Everything that is possible will happen, somewhere out there. They created a grand stage, you see, Emma: a stage for endless possibilities of life and mind."

The Astrologers, he told Manekato, believed that the universe — any given universe — was a fundamentally comprehensible system. If a system was comprehensible, then an entity must exist that could comprehend it. Therefore an entity must exist that could comprehend the entire universe, arbitrarily well or rather She must exist, as Babo put it.

"The God of the Manifold," Manekato said dryly.

The catch was that there was a manifold of possible universes, of which this was only one. So She may not exist in this universe.

Anyhow, it — She — was to be the ultimate goal of the Daemons" quest.

"Of course," Babo said, "She may actually be an expression of the manifold itself — or perhaps the manifold itself, the greater structure of reality strands, is itself self-referential, in some sense conscious. Or perhaps the manifold is itself merely one thread in a greater tapestry—"

"A manifold of manifolds."

"And perhaps there is a further recursion of structure, no end to the hierarchies of life and mind, which—"
]

[Antvasima said :

I am not sure. The above type of descriptions are recurrently used in fiction for a mere 2-A type of an infinite amount of possible universes.]

[Aeyu said :

That is true, but I do believe…]

Ant said it should be 2-A based on quotes above.

++++++++++++++++++++++

High 1-C rating

[Manifold Time said :

"We think it worked," he said, breathless. "We found him."

Emma was not glad to see Taine once more. "Found who? What are you talking about?"

Cornelius handed over a document. It was a report prepared by a professor of physics from Cal Tech. Emma leafed through it. It was heavy on text and laden with equations, difficult to skim.

Cornelius said, "It's an analysis of material found on a softscreen. The math was difficult to decipher. Unconventional formalism. But it's all there."

Cornelius sat down and visibly tried to be patient. "It's a sketch of the foundations of a theory of quantum gravity, which is a unification, awaited for a century, of general relativity and quantum theory, the two great pillars of physics."

"I thought we had that. String theory."

"String theory is part of it. But string theory is mathematically dense — after thirty years the theorists have only extracted a handful of predictions from it — and it's limited besides; it doesn't incorporate curved space in a natural way. And—"]

String theory is M-theory. Postulates there are 11 dimensions. 11 dimensions is a part of Manifold, possibly suggesting that there are other kinds of mathematical Theories inside Manifold. So I think we should rate 'At least High 1-C' here.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Its still a mathematical multiverse?

[Manifold Space :

Cassiopeia had spent time trying to teach him about a phenomenon just a little beyond his own horizon — as chaos theory might have been to an engineer of, say, the 1950s. It was something to do with the emergence of complexity. The Gaijin seemed able to see how complexity, even life, naturally emerged from the simplest of beginnings: not fundamental physical laws, but something even deeper than that — as far as he could make out, the essential mathematical logic that underlay all things.]

Read the bolded. Something beyond fundamental physical laws, but mathematics that underlay all things. Might be supporting statement to the one at 'Manifold Time'. That describes that all math structures present within Manifold.

I thought Aeyu argued for 1-A, not 2-A, based solely on the thread title

Well, I am neutral on this, but I do think the downstreamers need an explaiantion blog.

In fact, any verse that is tier 2 or higher should preferably have one but that is just me.

@OP

>DS

>Not existing above an infinitely layered multiverse

>Not transcending literally all possibility

>Not being among an infinite ensemble

The At least High 1-B rating isn't due to encompassing all mathematics. That was removed because truly encompassing all mathematics would definitely equal 1-A. It's because the multiverse is recurrently compared to the complexity of a Type IV Tegmark Multiverse, which contains aspatial and atemporal objects (Mathematical Platonism is a thing), as well as encompassing all possibility. The multiverse is also infinitely layered, and contains all multiversal structures within it on an infinite level.

It's funny you should mention this, because The Everlasting and I were recently discussing why the Old Ones should indeed be 1-A.

Aeyu said:
@OP
>DS

>Not existing above an infinitely layered multiverse
Well, this is what I'm unsure about. You said Manifold is infinitely layered, but in the upgrade thread Antvasima said its just 2-A. *shrugs*

Aeyu said:
>Not transcending literally all possibility
Only Tier 0 transcend all possibilities tho? As in, above [possibility]|[impossibility].

Aeyu said:
>Not being among an infinite ensemble
Manifold has infinite ensemble quotes, yes. But its not really made clear if it has infinite layers/dimensions or not. Just 'infinity' and 'all possibility'. So I can see how its seen as '2-A' from a first glance.

Aeyu said:
The At least High 1-B rating isn't due to encompassing all mathematics. That was removed because truly encompassing all mathematics would definitely equal 1-A. It's because the multiverse is recurrently compared to the complexity of a Type IV Tegmark Multiverse, which contains aspatial and atemporal objects (Mathematical Platonism is a thing), as well as encompassing all possibility. The multiverse is also infinitely layered, and contains all multiversal structures within it on an infinite level.
The last part is speculation by a character though. Which was said in 'unsure tone'.

Heck, Blue Child's explanation regarding 'mathematical multiverse' in Manifold Time sounds more 'sure' than speculation at the end of Manifold Origin. Which kinda make sense considering Blue Children are stuffed with knowledge of Downstreamers themselves. So their 'speculations' are more reliable than most, IMO.

Aeyu said:
It's funny you should mention this, because The Everlasting and I were recently discussing why the Old Ones should indeed be 1-A.
Mention what? This Downgrade thread? Oh and I made a new post in your wall.

Not to explicitly throw him under the bus, but I don't think he knows the series. Though I could be wrong. Anyway, Azathoth noted it was what it was, and he's generally the one who Ant trusts the consultation of in these matters.

>"Only tier 0 transcend all possibilities"

Not so. There can be levels above transcending all possibility. See the Masadaverse, for instance. What you're describing is simply binary logic, which is something that doesn't necessarily apply to transduals, who don't even necessarily have to be 1-A. (though I think they should by definition be such)

>2-A from first glance

Yes, from first glance and without context. An infinite collection of all possibilities (This is verbatim stated) with endless layers is definitely more than 2-A, though, especially at the scale referenced by the books.

Also, a mathematical multiverse even more implies Tegmark Type IV though, which is reliably 1-A.

>Post on my wall

Where?

[Not to explicitly throw him under the bus, but I don't think he knows the series. Though I could be wrong. Anyway, Azathoth noted it was what it was, and he's generally the one who Ant trusts the consultation of in these matters.]

? I thought Azzy is a 'she'. And Azzy not too long ago made a thread to say that she'd take a break. Which means this revision won't go through anyway :D.

[>2-A from first glance

Yes, from first glance and without context. An infinite collection of all possibilities (This is verbatim stated) with endless layers is definitely more than 2-A, though, especially at the scale referenced by the books.]

The book (and in extension, Baxter :lol:) really likes their 'infinities'.

[Also, a mathematical multiverse even more implies Tegmark Type IV though, which is reliably 1-A.]

I addressed this in your Wall.

[>Post on my wall

Where?]

http:// vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:1602640

The Everlasting said:
I'm really not seeing the argument here.
My argument is that because DS doesn't have Level IV Multiverse 'At least' part in their rating should be removed.

At worst, they should be downgraded to 2-A because no reliable quotes about dimensional tiering to warrant High 1-B.

Both already have been adressed by Aeyu but the only High 1-B statement has too many 'possibly' in it.

@Antva

Alrite. I'll post in Azzy's wall.

Honestly the biggest issue with the Downstreamers in general is that so much of their actual lore and justifications has been grouped together with unrelated fan explanations and multiverse theory throughout the series' journey through the internet. Preferably I'd like to make a blog about them with information directly from the novels (I'd like to do that for a lot of things) if I actually had the time, but more realistically I'll have to settle for less.

At worst, their reasoning should be cleared up, considering it's mostly a "Why the hell is anything rated this way?" series, which is what the Cthulhu Mythos sort of was before I took the time to clarify things, and what a lot of other series still are.

@Lucis

"? I thought Azzy is a 'she'."

...Sure why not?

Thank you. Your help to clear up the statistics would be appreciated. (Umineko should preferably be prioritised though.)

In my upgrade thread, I took quotes and information directly from the novels (as I have all three in EBook format), and I hope it's not being implied that I used wild speculation or fan theories to justify my claims. That being said, if you need help at all, I'd be more than willing to assist.

They may not mention "Type IV Multiverse" with those words specifically (It's clunky), but the Type IV is known by other names - specifically, the Mathematical Universe Hypothesis (all possible worlds under all possible maths under all possible conditions exist - It's Type IV), its limited form, the Computable Universe Hypothesis (CUH), and of course, the ultimate/infinite ensemble, the first one alluded to and the third referred to by name; this was by far the most compelling evidence for 1-A other than all possibilities for life and mind brought into existence and being above an infinite manifold of possible universes. I still believe a possibly 1-A should reflect the author's intent with "infinite/ultimate ensemble", as the writer, Stephen Baxter, is no layman in the field, being a professor in the maths and possessing a doctorate in engineering - this isn't the same as just some random author using words because they sound cool and not understanding the implications.

Additionally, there is another entity, although alluded to in a few statements, known as the God/Goddess of the Manifold; she encompasses all manifolds, of which there is likely an infinite extension of beyond that of the Downstreamers (stated directly in Manifold: Origin). I have half a mind to create a profile with her, if such a thing is allowed, as The Everlasting has already requested I do so.

You're not the one I'm referring to. The Downstreamers have been High 1-B for quite some time. The issue is much of their original information and quotes were handled poorly in terms of actual separation from outside explanation.

The reasoning we have now is much clearer, but it's not yet the thorough analysis a series like this probably needs, which is what I'd like to do if I had the time.

[Azathoth said :

At worst, their reasoning should be cleared up, considering it's mostly a "Why the hell is anything rated this way?" series, which is what the Cthulhu Mythos sort of was before I took the time to clarify things, and what a lot of other series still are.]

High 1-B justification (endless layers) is a bit shaky though. IMO, its even more shaky than Level IV multiverse justification.

Hence 2-A for safety.

But if endless layers thing is already widely accepted then okay, I won't doubt it up anymore.

[Azathoth said :

@Lucis

"? I thought Azzy is a 'she'."

...Sure why not?]

... I think I need to recheck that thread then XO.

[Aeyu said :

this was by far the most compelling evidence for 1-A other than all possibilities for life and mind brought into existence and being above an infinite manifold of possible universes. I still believe a possibly 1-A should reflect the author's intent]

Weirdly, I see no mention of Tegmark paper reference on the last page. Only sources for Feynmann radio or some such. Did Manifold Time actually predate Tegmark's paper?

[Aeyu said :

Additionally, there is another entity, although alluded to in a few statements, known as the God/Goddess of the Manifold; she encompasses all manifolds, of which there is likely an infinite extension of beyond that of the Downstreamers (stated directly in Manifold: Origin).]

So the god is stronger than Downstreamers?

[Azathoth said :

The reasoning we have now is much clearer, but it's not yet the thorough analysis a series like this probably needs]

I think its been pretty heavily analyzed in the last reupgrade thread.

As I already said before, 1-A justifications sounds more concrete (three supporting statements in all three novels. I already posted one above from Manifold Space) than High 1-B one (only one mention in all three novels?).

So if 1-A is rejected, DS shouldn't be High 1-B, but High 1-C/2-A instead.

IMHO, It either should be 1-A or High 1-C/2-A (but 1-A was denied so I went with Downgrade thread instead).

[Azathoth said :

, which is what I'd like to do if I had the time.]

Looking forward to tht.

@Lucis

1. 2-A is vastly downplaying under every interpretation.

2. It doesn't need to mention Tegmark specifically, MUH/Ultimate Ensemble is not an idea which he has "copyrighted", and Brian Greene makes use of the Ultimate Multiverse theory in his work as well (Famous physicist). This was my issue in the other thread, as well. Simply denying something's validity because it doesn't by name mention a specific person's thesis when the idea itself goes under many names is exceedingly arbitrary.

3. Infinitely so, yes. This Goddess encompasses all Manifolds, even when extended infinitely, as all systems need an observer (Which also indirectly ties into Type IV; ignoring this is simply downplay, sorry.)

4. High 1-C or 2-A are both downplaying, but I think 1-A or Possibly 1-A is valid, and it was already supported by many staff in that thread. The "one mention" is concrete and not ambiguous, which is why statements oftentimes are rejected.

@Aeyu

>Regarding Tegmark multiverse

Well, Azathoth said he needs to analyze the novels first (or make blog first), even if the reasoning for 1-A has been made clearer by you.

(And I think this thread need a rename. But idk what's the most fitting)

>Goddess

Though, I think she was an unintended consequence born from DS mucking around with Manifold.

And you can't separate the Goddess from Downstreamers if you are to use 'endless hierarchy' quote. If DS aren't the Goddess then they shouldn't have 'transcending all endless hierarchy' explanation.

Lucis=the=Lumenian said:
Well, Azathoth said he needs to analyze the novels first (or make blog first), even if the reasoning for 1-A has been made clearer by you.
I said I'd want to look through the series myself and compile info in some sort of blog, because lord knows it's a complex enough series to warrant it.

@Lucis

They DO transcend an infinite hierarchy though; that of their own Manifold. This Goddess transcends all Manifolds to an infinitely higher extent than the Old Ones. This is just a case of Composite Hierarchy.

I can also compile info, all of which can be used at Azzy's request, as I own all three books in the Manifold series in Ebook format.

@Aeyu

I guess you can make the Goddess profile after Azzy has finished in creating a blog. And considering how long the series is...

Well, Azathoth also needs to revise Umineko/07th Expansion, and that is prioritised, so this could take quite a while.

Lucis=the=Lumenian said:
@Aeyu
I guess you can make the Goddess profile after Azzy has finished in creating a blog. And considering how long the series is...
"Preferably I'd like to make a blog about them with information directly from the novels (I'd like to do that for a lot of things) if I actually had the time, but more realistically I'll have to settle for less."

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
"Preferably I'd like to make a blog about them with information directly from the novels (I'd like to do that for a lot of things) if I actually had the time, but more realistically I'll have to settle for less."
Sorry, but I just too focused on this quote :

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
I said I'd want to look through the series myself and compile info in some sort of blog, because lord knows it's a complex enough series to warrant it.
'Settle for less', huh. So let someone else take care of it?

So just to clarify, Downgrade is no go. High 1-B is still accepted. And now I know why it still has 'At least' tacked on even without acknowledgement of Level IV multiverse. So now I have no problem with DS profile being left as it is.

But upgrade to 1-A preferably comes after Azathoth's analysis of the book. But seeing as Azathoth likely does not have the time (as Antvasima already said, Umineko is more important), the analysis had to be done by someone else.

You know, I might make a blog post myself, since I do have access to all three books on my computer. Plus, I've never made one, so this could be a start.

Aeyu said:
You know, I might make a blog post myself, since I do have access to all three books on my computer. Plus, I've never made one, so this could be a start.
Good luck. You already did most of analysis regarding the cosmology, but analyzing less important things like the Wandering Moon might yield some good feats.

Back