• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Does Non-Physical Interaction need to Be Explicitly mentioned for Non-Physical beings?

I'll get straight to the point. Do characters with non-physical natures (such as Non-Corporeal, Nonexistence, etc.) need to have their ability to interact with themselves and beings of similar nature stated on their profile, or can it be naturally assumed?

The discussion came up here. If Kama needs their ability to interact with non-existent and non-corporeal beings spelled out explicitly spelled out on their profile, then all servants need Non-physical interaction added to their profile, since they can interact with non-physical spirits as they are spirits themselves. If all servants need it explicitly spelled out on their profiles, then all other characters with any kind of non-physical existence also need to be evaluated and added to their profiles. Abstract characters will obviously need to be looked at on a case by case basis, and their part in this is a bit different since how abstracts and concepts work in different verses vary greatly.

One main point that I made was that it is naturally assumed that non-physical characters can interact with themselves, and thus others like them, by default. Those that cannot are rare exceptions, and likely are as such due to niche or bizarre cosmology; Hard cases make bad rules. I would argue that this is no more notable than a physical character being able to interact with other physical characters. Just because there are a few physical characters who cannot interact with other physical characters, does not mean that we should then have to explicitly note on all physical character profiles that they can.

Dragonmasterxyz pointed out that there are, in fact, many verses with non-physical interaction noted on their profile such as those from Bleach and Digimo. I do not think there is anything wrong in and of itself with listing it, but I see it as ultimately redundant and unnecessary.

If we decide to go through with this, it is going to be a massive change to a significant number of pages on this wiki, and all characters with any kind of Non-physical existence will need to be evaluated. This will need to be a large team effort.

My natural assumption was always to think a non physical character should have the ability until explicitly pointed otherwise in the profile, whatever the reason may be.

This isn't in need of a highlight as this will revolve around us agreeing whether NPI should be added to anfile naturally or be noted under Intangibility or NC or NPI as an automatic thing and then people try to add them to files they see that is missing them. A wiki wide revision project isn't needed.

Using Bleach's as an example might be a bad case because only weaker souls and spiritual objects are intangible; stronger souls are tangible.

I do agree with Dragon's points. I think we add that another paragraph to the Non-Physical Interaction page like this:

• Being that are Non-Corporeal or possess a similar natural ability would likely have this power.

Back