• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DETECTIVE PIKACHU DISCUSSION (HUGE SPOILER ALERT)

Anti spoiler barrier ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So yesterday i went to the premiere of the movie Detective Pikachu. Not many things can change if we look through the movie, however there may be some ability addtions and maybe some revisions.

First up we saw the psyduck explosion which defeated 3 gentetiaclly modified greninjas who are more powerful

then we saw the mountain sized torterras which may cause some revisions (for an alter torterra of course)

Finally the main part of the movie is the fact that Mewtwo can fuse pokemon with people when the pokemon are in a crazed state, however at one point he fuses pikachu and the MC's dad into one without pikachu being crazed. He also then reverses the effects with ease.

The fact that Mewtwo is a soul manipulator in this in genuinely hilarious to me. What an out-of-nowhere power to give a Pokemon. Aside from Dusknoir basically no Pokemon have that kind of power, and definitely not at the scale movie Mewtwo did.

Assaltwaffle said:
The fact that Mewtwo is a soul manipulator in this in genuinely hilarious to me. What an out-of-nowhere power to give a Pokemon. Aside from Dusknoir basically no Pokemon have that kind of power, and definitely not at the scale movie Mewtwo did.
still it is a hax that could be added

Camilopezo said:
The fusion seems to be a hax so it would be difficult to give him a tier.
i never said anything about tiers for mewtwo. I was talking about the mountain sized torterras

Assaltwaffle said:
A lot of ghost types can manipulate souls.

Artwork de Chandelure quemando un alma
"Being consumed in Chandelure's flame burns up the spirit, leaving the body behind."

Tim having gone down from that building at the speed of light was the most impressive and hilarious part of the movie.

In the movie, Mewtwo is described as the most powerful pokemon in the world (Excluding "gods" or celestial beings as Arceus or similar)

--Based on that, Mewtwo could be considered stronger than the mountain sized torterras.

Not really as those are altered Pokemon, in any case Mewtwo's already 5-B and the bad guy (whose name I don't remember) using his body didn't had full control over it.

I like the fact that this movie is "canon" to main Pokémon storyline 0v0

"We definitely did do it that way as like, 'This is like maybe connected to the rest of the Pokemon world.' It's not like we're saying that this is an alternate universe where Pokemon and humans live side by side. This is just a different area in their known world where they decided to do things differently. We wanted to be clear that this is the same Universe as all the other Pokemon stuff, it's just a different side of it

Everyone having only one Pokemon partner gives the Golden Compass vibes.

>Mountain sized Torterra

Now tell MysticUmbreon on the face and yell "How the f*** you hate Torterra after seeing this movie, dummy!?"

Not gonna lie mountain sized Torterra is crazy, also wew Mewtwo get the most useful abilities here

Saw D.P. yesterday. My god was it an amazing experience, my friend was crying at the end and he's not even a pokemon fan lol.

On a serious note, yeah its crazy that this movie's franchise is canon. Mewtwo's fusion hax was pretty insane, he can also drain memories and restore life force (no other way to explain this) just by pointing his hand.

Mewtwo is the vessel for all of Pokémon's hax.

Shame he's only planet level, as him being a universal character or multiversal one would seriously boost the series' wins, I bet.

That reminds me, should Ryan Reynolds Pikachu scale to Mewtwo?

This Pikachu showed some pretty impressive feats in the movie once it actually regained its memories on how to use it's powers that put it above the paygrade of other pikachu. He could actually damage Mewtwo to an extent as well.

Plus, Mewtwo during their encounter had his mind switched with the professors temporarily, so that implies Mewtwo wasnt using its true power in battle as the professor wouldnt know how to, so Pikachu wouldnt be scaling by that much.

Never.

For real this literally no different than any other case of a normal mon hurting a legendary. Pikachu was getting bodied by everything until then, and him forgetting his moves does not excuse that. Plus Mewtwo made a point to point out that Pikachu stood no real chance and that all Pikachu did was make him waste time.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
For real this literally no different than any other case of a normal mon hurting a legendary. Pikachu was getting bodied by everything until then, and him forgetting his moves does not excuse that.
Except, it does? Because he literally forgot how to even use his powers?

That doesn't make him billions of time weaker than normally. His dura is still the same, his speed is still the same and his sheer physical AP probably should be too.

It actually would because if your in a position where you have forgotten how to use any of your powers whatsoever, your not going to be able to do anything fight worthy. That includes physical stats as well.

It still doesn't change his speed or durability. It's not like Pokémon are regular animals that need to willingly use their "powers" to become superhuman. This just amounts to a Pokémon that forgot how to use its 4 moves. It doesn't make it billion of times weaker.

>It still doesnt change his speed or durability.

Considering the mon would have to actually remember how to apply their speed to an action in order to move x fast, or apply their durability in order to take an attack, I disagree here. Because from their perspective, via memory loss, they are beings who have no special powers at all. So how would these stats not change when they need to be actively applied? Which they cant be because the user has forgotten them?

Pikachu didnt just forget how to use 4 moves, he forgot how to fight period. If he's forgotten how to fight, then he cannot actively apply physical stats to use any of his true capabilities. Him running away in that match with Charizard is evidence of this, or else he still would have been able to physically keep up with Charizard in battle even if he could not specifically use attacks.

>It's not like Pokemon are regular animals that need to willingly use their "powers" to become superHuman

Team Rockets Meowth would like to have a word with you. Because he spent literally his entire life not applying any kind of training or battling and he's complete fodder to even average Meowth. That, and when Pikachu regained his memories his physical stats dramatically improved compared to earlier in the movie. Like leaping across buildings with ease or knocking Mewtwo into a building with Volt Tackle.

You're just pulling stuff out of your arse now. Nothing indicates that Pokémon need to know how to apply their speed in order to not be hundreds of time slower than other Pokémon or that they need to "apply" their durability to not die from a slight breeze. Absolutely nothing does. Nevermind the fact that having to "apply" one's durability makes absolutely no goddamn sense.

All he forgot was how to use his electrical attacks. Him forgetting everything about combat is, once again, baseless extrapolation.

He didn't train, thus he's weak. That's it. It's not that he doesn't know how to "apply" his speed or durability. That's not a thing.

Pikachu only shows higher feats because he actually fought there, not because he had an actual boost. Again, extrapolation.

>Nothing indicates that Pokémon need to know how to apply their speed in order to not be hundreds of time slower than other Pokémo

This is not made up stuff at all. This is pretty much common sense. A pokemon will not be as fast as other pokemon if they do not actively apply their speed to try and move as fast as them. And that will certainly be the case if they cant even remember how fast they are able to actually move.

Someone who can move at Light Speed will not always be moving at that speed if they don't even remember that they can move at that speed, or even something as 10x the speed of sound.

>or that they need to "apply" their durability to not die from a slight breeze. Absolutely nothing does. Nevermind the fact that having to "apply" one's durability makes absolutely no goddamn sense.

Then why are sneak attacks a thing? Why is it that a character can be harmed by inferior forces when they let people attack them? That shows that durability is not a passive stat thats always "on" and we already have verses where this is a thing. Hell, in Dragon Ball for example, characters that can tank universal attacks can get harmed by bullets or immensely lower forces when they dont apply their KI to their defense. And the whole Goku being laser'd ordeal. Even ignoring that, there are many cases where a character purposely lets others attack them and they get damaged by forces that they can normally withstand, some easily.

All of this shows that durability is not automatically a passive thing and needs to be actively applied. Unless you have a different explanation for this.

>All he forgot was how to use his electrical attacks. Him forgetting everything about combat is, once again, baseless extrapolation.

"Him running away in that match with Charizard is evidence of this, or else he still would have been able to physically keep up with Charizard in battle even if he could not specifically use attacks."

Would this be baseless? And to add more to this, in the beginning of the film when Tim was being attacked by a group of Aipom, Pikachu didnt physically battle them either. In fact, his option to fight them was picking up and using a knife...is this a baseless claim that Pikachu forgot how to apply his physical stats now too?

>He didn't train, thus he's weak. That's it. It's not that he doesn't know how to "apply" his speed or durability. That's not a thing.

And I'd be more inclined to agree with you on this point Saikou if Meowth didnt get beaten up by literally everyone and their mother for next to every episode of the anime. Heck, Jessie and James at times have shown better physicals than Meowth. This is not simply about "being weak", Meowth has absolutely no fighting capability whatsoever. This shows that if Pokemon are put in positions where they do not apply their powers, they will be immensely weaker to even the average members of their species.

>Pikachu only shows higher feats because he actually fought there, not because he had an actual boost. Again, extrapolation.

Your confused on context here. I never said this boosted Pikachu. I said Pikachu's physicals improved because he actually remembered how to apply himself. He went from someone who opted to use a knife against raging pokemon to someone who can actually fight on his own and show impressive physical skill when getting his memories back.

I completely agree with Saikou, and I consider this to be kinda obvious.

>Agrees with someone who just had all of his points countered with examples

If you disagree with Pikachu scaling to Mewtwo, thats fine, but dont say "this is kinda obvious" when he has yet to actually address my rebuttals.

If I weren't on phone I would answer those points, not much more to say.

Just to saikou. Why do we have a Lucario from Mistery of Mew page? He seems to be quite basic, avoiding combat with 7-A pokemon at times. I am pretty sure that He never did actual damage to the regi-trio. What is even the point? Can't it be counted as an outlier similar to Pikachy vs Latios?

Back