• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Destroying a Skyscraper Was Downgraded - Help Update Profiles

Agnaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Gold Supporter
As of this thread the common feat for destroying skyscrapers was replaced. All pages which used it need to be updated accordingly.

The list of pages that need to be checked can be found here; 403 pages in total.

If a few of us agree to split the workload, we'd be able to go through it with a lot less hassle.

Anyone willing to help out?

Though that's assuming its ALL reinforced concrete.
Steel makes up a decent percentage of a skyscraper's mass.

For example; the Empire State Building weighs 365,000 tons, yet 60,000 tons of that is steel.
Roughly 1/6 of its weight is steel.

Which even the lowest frag value of steel is over 20x higher than the frag value of rein. concrete.
That seems a bit too important to pass up and miss.

Structural steel has a density of 7,850 kg/m3.
I'm using this steel's density as it is structural steel, as different steels have varying properties

So what do you want to do here exactly? Should I call for the calc group members who participated in our preceding thread about this topic?

We could use the Empire State Building as a composition example, and say skyscrapers are 1/6 steel and 5/6 rein. concrete.

This puts the volume of steel at 4,332,943,368.43 cm3 for the average 225,000 imperial ton skyscraper
Making the frag energy (208 j/cm3) of just the steel ALONE, 215.404 Tons.

8-A, for the steel alone.
Which is ALREADY higher than the frag for just reinforced concrete (192.972 Ton), just for the steel.

Though that's assuming its ALL reinforced concrete.
Steel makes up a decent percentage of a skyscraper's mass.

For example; the Empire State Building weighs 365,000 tons, yet 60,000 tons of that is steel.
Roughly 1/6 of its weight is steel.
Which even the lowest frag value of steel is over 20x higher than the frag value of rein. concrete.
That seems a bit too important to pass up and miss.

Structural steel has a density of 7,850 kg/m3.
I'm using this steel's density as it is structural steel, as different steels have varying properties
We could use the Empire State Building as a composition example, and say skyscrapers are 1/6 steel and 5/6 rein. concrete.

This puts the volume of steel at 4,332,943,368.43 cm3 for the average 225,000 imperial ton skyscraper
Making the frag energy (208 j/cm3) of just the steel ALONE, 215.404 Tons.

8-A, for the steel alone.
Which is ALREADY higher than the frag for just reinforced concrete (192.972 Ton), just for the steel.
@KLOL506 @Jasonsith @Agnaa

What do you think about this?

With the 5/6 rein. concrete added, that's an additional 160.81 Tons.
160.81 + 215.404 = 376.214 Tons for frag.

Quite a bit higher than the 192.972 Tons for JUST reinforced concrete.

Wasn't it always 8-A?
It was 8-A+/Low 7-C (it included two different ends for frag, using different methods, and didn't say which to use)

What do you think about this?

I'd like to get a sample of a few more skyscrapers, idk how typical the Empire State Building is.

"Burj Khalifa employs a record-breaking 330,000 cubic m (11.6 million cubic ft) of concrete; 39,000 m/t of reinforced steel; 103,000 sq m (1.1 million sq ft) of glass; 15,500 sq m (166,800 sq ft) of embossed stainless steel; and the tower took 22 million man hours to build."
Burj Khalifa has quite a bit of steel as well, and Burj Khalifa is one of the skyscrapers with less steel than others

Willis Tower is 222,500 tons, and has 76,000 tons of steel (Meaning, it has an even higher steel composition than the ESB; over 34% of its weight is steel)

I mean this comes back to the question of how a skyscraper is even built.

Hong Kong is noted for having a crazy amount of skyscrapers and a vast amount are built on a mix of reinforced steel and structural steel mixed with reinforced glass.

The higher the building, the more likely we have a higher proportion of reinforced steel and reinforced glass over reinforced concrete.

However, for a quick reference (more a life experience than actual industrial knowledge and hands-on experience), a 24-storey building (ground floor included) is already 4.3 m X 24 = 103.2 m and more than qualifies as a skyscraper. This typical "Hong Kong skyscraper" can be built with "ordinary" reinforced concrete.

Last edited:
I mean this comes back to the question of how a skyscraper is even built.

Hong Kong is noted for having a crazy amount of skyscrapers and a vast amount are built on a mix of reinforced steel and structural steel mixed with reinforced glass.
Yes, steel is necessary as it kinda serves as the "skeleton" or "frame" of a skyscraper

Could you convert that Burj Khalifa one into a ratio of concrete to steel?

Could you convert that Burj Khalifa one into a ratio of concrete to steel?
The Burj Khalifa is ~450,000 tonnes
39,000 metric tons of reinforced steel, and 15,500 sq m of embossed stainless steel (I don't know how much the embossed stainless steel would be, as it is in area, not volume), nor can I find an exact value for that steel's weight contribution, though it WOULD add quite a large fraction of its weight.

Though with JUST reinforced steel (without the other steel), that's about 8.667% of its weight.

Last edited:
Well, if the Burj Khalifa is a skyscraper with less steel than usual, we could probably use it as the low-end.

That means the calc would add 9.49% of the concrete's total weight, as the mass of steel involved, and calculate the destruction of that on top of the rest.

Though, I don't know exactly how much steel is in it in total, as I can't find the mass of the embossed stainless steel.

Only that it has 15,500 m2 of it, it it could potentially be quite a bit more than 8.667% of its weight, but you cannot find mass from area.

Please try to not take too long with the mathematics discussion, as it is technically somewhat derailing the purpose of this thread.

Maybe we should unlock the old thread then, and put this one on pause?

Thank you. That is very appreciated, but let's wait a bit please, as it seems like the argument in the preceding thread about the relevant math needs to be revisited and concluded first.

Yes. Thank you for being patient and helping out.

I have compiled all the pages that link to References for Common Feats in this sandbox, i've organized them in alphabetical order and numbered them, now I just need to know who will be available to help and divide the work.

Cool, with only 3 of us we would only have to check over 150 pages each one. Is that okay with you or should I call the other content moderators to see if they are willing to lend a hand?

I'd like to call in others.

Back