• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Demon slayer, possible Calc issue

KE can only be used when the character is attacking and in this same attack shows a relevant speed feat. This never happened with Tanjiro, he never performed a speed feat while attacking.

Although this 9-A feat of Zenitsu's is questionable if it is usable or not

KE can only be used when the character is attacking and in this same attack shows a relevant speed feat. This never happened with Tanjiro, he never performed a speed feat while attacking.

Although this 9-A feat of Zenitsu's is questionable if it is usable or not
literally the supersonic oni fight

KE feats are allowed apparently as long as the attack happens at that speed and we can prove that.
Example: Invincible (tv series) has a 7-A feat for slamming Allen the alien into the moon at 2% rel speed.
Actually while I approved that attack I've been thinking I was wrong in doing that so I wouldn't call that the best example. Although that's mostly because such an impact would leave a much bigger crater.
he displayed speed in the same scene
Still not the same movement, aka calc stacking.

Also Zenitsu just attacks with the sword in that scene so that can't be used.

BTW Armor, MPa is the same thing as J/cc in case you didn't notice. One joule per cubic centimeter is equal to 1 million pascals (Or megapascal if you wanna keep it short). But for some reason I cannot comment on the blog due to some fandom error.

EDIT: Error is gone, I have replied on the blog now.

Uh, the stone could have just fallen apart a bit after being cut.

Cutting in general would rely on compressive strength regardless since you're pressing down on the rock itself with a blade like you would generally crush a rock with a hydraulic press. A little bit of rock being left behind really wouldn't matter in this case.

Also if it was a perfect cut the fissure line would be super thin (We're talking microscopically-thin), which is absolutely not the case here and it would require even less strength assuming we use this method, but that's assuming your blade is infinitely sharp, IRL the sword would immediately bend, chip or break right off of the handle like when some cheap-ass swords break in half after being smacked on a stone table.

Last edited:
The width used in this calculation is what I have issue with. There's no evidence that 20-something cm was the actual width of the cut instead of just the amount by which the stone's halves moved after being cut.

The width used in this calculation is what I have issue with. There's no evidence that 20-something cm was the actual width of the cut instead of just the amount by which the stone's halves moved after being cut.
Regardless, it is still not a perfect cut and would definitely be wider than the blade itself. How wide tho, I cannot accurately explain.

Maybe at best, a centimeter or two.

Maybe we can figure out the width from the scene where Tanjiro is seen with the blade in the stone itself?

I mean, yeah, the perfect cut formula is a lowball Ugarik said it himself, but like, we can't just assume it was 20 centimeters. I cannot accept this calculation.

I mean, yeah, the perfect cut formula is a lowball Ugarik said it himself, but like, we can't just assume it was 20 centimeters. I cannot accept this calculation.
I used the scene where Tanjiro's blade is in the rock, I got thicknesses ranging from 5.23-9.6 cm for the area cut depending on where you measure it (Widest point is 9.6 while narrowest is 5.23).

Maybe the thickness being big is prolly due to angles.

Yeah but that's still a few seconds after the feat itself happens so the rock would have had all the time to split and fall apart a bit.

Yeah but that's still a few seconds after the feat itself happens so the rock would have had all the time to split and fall apart a bit.
Split? Yes, but the two sides of the rock aren't exactly tipping to the sides either.

... Yeah and? It clearly only fell apart by a bit, but it still did. That is perfectly possible.

... Yeah and? It clearly only fell apart by a bit, but it still did. That is perfectly possible.
Well then I got nothing other than just "go with the sword blade thickness and slap 214.35 on it instead of 60 because compressive strength"

Doesn't seem to be any notable tilting.

0004-012.png
0006-004.png

The boulder seems to standing on flattish foundation, and the very bottom is not fully destroyed which can help hold the boulder on the unlikely assumption that it is prone to tilting.

Yeah no shit the tilting isn't notable, it only moved by like, 5°. The fact that the bottom is flat is the reason it didn't move more than that.

If it is not something we can observe, how can you demonstrate that a tilt this big occurred?
It is of note that the shockwave of Breathing Techniques is in effect, as the boulder is longer than Tanjiro's sword.

If it is not something we can observe, how can you demonstrate that a tilt this big occurred?
I don't, you need to prove that it didn't. And I'm gonna be honest, even if it was an instantaneous feat and and the allegedly destroyed area was much bigger (or smaller) than that, you'd need incredibly strong evidence, which doesn't exist here.
It is of note that the shockwave of Breathing Techniques is in effect, as the boulder is longer than Tanjiro's sword.
"Cut something bigger than your sword should logically allow" is literally the most common manga cliche ever, not really an argument. Especially the sword is still the main cutting tool. Hell does he even ever use the Breathing for actual cutting at this point of the story? Best I can remember is him redirecting some vectors with it and even that's after some character development.

Furthermore the water breathing visual effect doesn't really appear when he's slashing, which KNY never fails to show otherwise.

Last edited:
Then the evidence presented points at lack of tilting, and is counter evidence for the speculative claim that tilting this large occurred.

"Cut something bigger than your sword" is literally the most common manga cliche ever, not really an argument. Especially the sword is still the main cutting tool. Hell does he even ever use the Breathing for actual cutting at this point of the story?
This includes cutting something wider than the sword as well.
0010-018.png
0010-019.png

Tanjiro_using_Eighth_Form_Waterfall_Basin_against_Swamp_Demon.gif

Tanjiro spent six months improving his Water Breathing Techniques under the instruction of Makomo, until he surpassed Sabito.

Then the evidence presented points at lack of tilting, and is counter evidence for the speculative claim that tilting this large occurred.
No, not really. Something tilting a bit after being cut is perfectly reasonable, and the small movement it did is perfectly consistent with the shape of the boulder. But even if the boulder was rectangular, I could still just say the force of the cut pushed the halves away, which is still more realistic than a sword, which is meant to make cutting stuff easily because of its low surface area, disintegrating a large portion of stone despite the fact that all Tanjiro needed to do to pass the test was split it.
This includes cutting something wider than the sword as well.
No it doesn't? I see no evidence of that, unless you're trying to say the waterfall basin visuals are what's being cut. Besides, it's one specific technique he isn't using in the boulder feat. Would you like me to point at the dozen of clean cuts in the series? I mean I've only watched the anime so far but there's dozens.
Tanjiro spent six months improving his Water Breathing Techniques under the instruction of Makomo, until he surpassed Sabito.
Cool. His swing still didn't have those visual effects tho.

No, not really. Something tilting a bit after being cut is perfectly reasonable, and the small movement it did is perfectly consistent with the shape of the boulder. But even if the boulder was rectangular, I could still just say the force of the cut pushed the halves away, which is still more realistic than a sword, which is meant to make cutting stuff easily because of its low surface area, disintegrating a large portion of stone despite the fact that all Tanjiro needed to do to pass the test was split it.
By 'bit' do you mean almost the length of a forearm? If you mean insignificant tilting so small it cannot be noticed, then sure.

A flat base doesn't afford room for tilting movement. If the boulder was pushed away, the remaining part at the bottom would've been disconnected, which eliminates the possibility.

I don't see the issue in Tanjiro passing the test with flying colors. If we see no remains of the material that was destroyed, we consider it pulverized.

No it doesn't? I see no evidence of that, unless you're trying to say the waterfall basin visuals are what's being cut. Besides, it's one specific technique he isn't using in the boulder feat. Would you like me to point at the dozen of clean cuts in the series? I mean I've only watched the anime so far but there's dozens.
With one vertical slash he created a 180-degree attack, and sliced multiple hands flanking him.
Regardless of how often it is done, if it is established that Tanjiro is capable of cutting wider than the width of his sword, then I made my point.

Cool. His swing still didn't have those visual effects tho.
Narratively, he was using Breathing Techniques; this is undisputable. The elemental visuals are illusionary (though the kinetic force seems to correspond to their shape), so them not appearing can be chalked to Tanjiro having a spiritual vision throughout his training, a design choice to enhance the build-up of Sabito being defeated swiftly with one strike, or the elemental effects concept not being implemented in the first chapters of the story.

By 'bit' do you mean almost the length of a forearm? If you mean insignificant tilting so small it cannot be noticed, then sure.

A flat base doesn't afford room for tilting movement. If the boulder was pushed away, the remaining part at the bottom would've been disconnected, which eliminates the possibility.
It's not fully flat, so it tilting a bit is perfectly realistic. You can keep disagreeing but that won't change it, but you really should stop exaggerating the amount by which it tilted. Again that's like, five, seven degrees at best, a very small amount. Not the length of a forearm at all, maybe the width of one if you use the panel in which Tanjiro is actually cutting the thing

And no since the force was applied to the top first, that part being what's pushed away is perfectly realistic since it's what took most of the energy.
With one vertical slash he created a 180-degree attack, and sliced multiple hands flanking him.
Regardless of how often it is done, if it is established that Tanjiro is capable of cutting wider than the width of his sword, then I made my point.
No, the fact that it isn't done often and requires specific effort from Tanjiro is very important, considering he had no reason to destroy more of the stone than needed.
Narratively, he was using Breathing Techniques; this is undisputable. The elemental visuals are illusionary (though the kinetic force seems to correspond to their shape), so them not appearing can be chalked to Tanjiro having a spiritual vision throughout his training, a design choice to enhance the build-up of Sabito being defeated swiftly with one strike, or the elemental effects concept not being implemented in the first chapters of the story.
No, they never appear at that point of the story even when the ghosts aren't there, so it's absolutely not a vision. As for the rest, sure that's a possibility, but it's only a possibility, nothing more.

... That's just cutting people around him though, not making cuts wider than his actual blade is.

Also why is a cut supposed to be turning anything the blade contacts into dust, now? The previous method was fine, the calculation was just implemented poorly.

It's not fully flat, so it tilting a bit is perfectly realistic. You can keep disagreeing but that won't change it, but you really should stop exaggerating the amount by which it tilted.

And no since the force was applied to the top first, that part being what's pushed away is perfectly realistic since it's what took most of the energy.
The 22 cm fissure being within the range of a human forearm is pretty accurate, I'd say. Can you elaborate on how this is an exaggeration?

If the bottom is still connected then this means that the two halves didn't get displaced as you previously argued. If it tilted as you claimed then it would be obvious; the fissure would be visibly conical and getting much larger the higher we go, instead of consistently cylindrical.
Here is a practical experiment with a 5 degree tilt with a perfect circle, and roughly the shape of the boulder as taken from the manga:

This does not correspond to a cylindrical fissure, with the part in the bottom being mostly in tact.

0005-019.png
0006-004.png

Hence it is the case that the missing sections got pulverized.

No, the fact that it isn't done often and requires specific effort from Tanjiro is very important, considering he had no reason to destroy more of the stone than needed.
Tanjiro was in a dream battle and guided with his clairvoyance; consciously calculating the minimum amount to slice a boulder is not possible. Him having expanded range, both in length and width, with his attack is plausible.

... That's just cutting people around him though, not making cuts wider than his actual blade is.

Also why is a cut supposed to be turning anything the blade contacts into dust, now? The previous method was fine, the calculation was just implemented poorly.
Cutting people around him with a vertical slash is AoE.

I agree that I am using a different method, which would better account for the destruction caused.

Guys, just go with the 214.35 MPa (Or 214.35 J/cc, same thing) times area of the rock times thickness of the blade and stick with the 5.696 megajoule value.
There is a difference in tiers and scaling between the calcs, so it warrants discussion.

Last edited:
Brother, your entire argument is based on a minor art mistake and you've got three calc members telling you you're wrong. Don't be so stubborn.

Because pulv. itself is based on compressive strength values and cutting clearly involves pressing in the cut area, except the sword is your super-thin hydraulic press. It's like cutting a rock with a hydraulic press blade and applying compression over a super thin area but fast. And also because there's not enough debris left in the aftermath minus that small bottom portion which really isn't that significant to the destroyed volume in the long run.

Last edited:
Shadow: draws an entite scheme to understand how a feat works and how it should be calculated

Amor: it's just an art mistake bruv

Like bro i bet half the verses in the wiki have major feats not even intended to be as powerful as we rate them, yet we don't rule it off as writing mistakes or art mistakes

Like bro i bet half the verses in the wiki have major feats not even intended to be as powerful as we rate them, yet we don't rule it off as writing mistakes or art mistakes
Reminds me of how in a verse I support a bomb was stated to be capable of destroying a mega city which most would assume is like 6-C
Calculated it and it was actually 6-B because of how big the explosion actually was.

Idk country sized city or artists not thinking about this stuff.

Brother, your entire argument is based on a minor art mistake and you've got three calc members telling you you're wrong. Don't be so stubborn.
The base has a flat and wide enough foundation that parts of the boulder needs to phase into the ground in order to tilt from a microscopic cut in the middle, and the boulder is visibly not tilted, and the undestroyed section at the bottom shows that displacement didn't occur. The features appear to be too consistently drawn to be art mistakes; it is not like a single panel is getting nitpicked.
It is my impression that when it comes to the depiction of a feat vs claim of an art mistake, there is a burden to provide evidence of the existence of an art mistake (which is different than claiming that the feat is an outlier).

The discussion had constructive arguments and exchanges, so it allows nuance on what one disagrees upon and to what degree.

I apologize if I come off as strongheaded, but I feel strongly that the context and evidence points to the validity of the calc. While discussions often get tedious and lengthy, there are still points to address for a proper conclusion.

Back