• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Deltarune Chapter 2 discussion!

Assuming a Snowgrave route continuation is possible for next chapter, I think each chapter will have Noelle kill a classmate since there are enough left for one per chapter exclusing Berdly, Noelle, Kris, and Susie. Ooo what if you can get her to kill her dad? Mom is more likely since she treats her worse but that'd be cool.

Personally I prefer Jevil's music lol tho he is more bland.
Noooo
Don't freeze temmie:(

Btw wouldn't kris have dimensional storagge as he can hold all that food cell Phone lăncer and rouxls kaard?

O yeah another thing
Susie kris and ralsei should have resistence to acid manipulation since They can survive quenn acids and also electricity

O yeah another thing
Susie kris and ralsei should have resistence to acid manipulation since They can survive quenn acids and also electricity
Does the acid have other feats of destructiveness? Keep in mind, a swan boat & potentially a duck Rouxls rode in on can survive in the mansion's acid lake. The SOUL is what's being attacked by the drops that fill the glass in the Queen fight, as opposed to the party. & when Giga Queen lasers them, it downs them all. (Or they're in the Thrash Machine.)

Still, it may be worth looking into the properties of battery acid. (Although, the lasers themselves being battery acid is a bit questionable.)

Does the acid have other feats of destructiveness? Keep in mind, a swan boat & potentially a duck Rouxls rode in on can survive in the mansion's acid lake. The SOUL is what's being attacked by the drops that fill the glass in the Queen fight, as opposed to the party. & when Giga Queen lasers them, it downs them all. (Or they're in the Thrash Machine.)

Still, it may be worth looking into the properties of battery acid. (Although, the lasers themselves being battery acid is a bit questionable.)
Fair

Sorry to further rain on the above parade, but....

I will say, it's a little frustrating that the attacks hit the SOUL instead of the party.
We know they take DAMAGE when the SOUL is hit, but we don't know if they suffer effects from the attacks; For example, we don't know if they get electrocuted from electric attacks hitting the SOUL, nor if they feel the pain or sensation of it, just that they get damaged/hurt/feel pain.

If the plugs in the overworld are to be a basis, it's a little weird, since AFAIK, electricity doesn't travel in whtie waves like that.
& if they're anything like Berdly, the electricity manip resist might be a bit questionable; How was he being mind-controlled if he's resistant?
(There's also the question of his arm breaking, but that could just be his arm somehow being the only part damaged, as opposed to him damaging it due to the forceful motion of it to get the plug off being exacerbated by the circuit being interrupted as he unplugs, & thus, electrocuting him, making his muscles move so harshly that his arm breaks.)

Still, the evidence feels a little more favorable towards resisting Electricity Manipulation than it does Acid Manipulation.

But I wouldn't be entirely opposed to listing both as "possibly" though, on the basis that we don't know that the SOUL doesn't transfer the properties of damage it receives. (But using the absence of a negative as proof is a little sketchy. "We have no proof X is false, thus Y is true.")

will say, it's a little frustrating that the attacks hit the SOUL instead of the party.
We know they take DAMAGE when the SOUL is hit, but we don't know if they suffer effects from the attacks; For example, we don't know if they get electrocuted from electric attacks hitting the SOUL, nor if they feel the pain or sensation of it, just that they get damaged/hurt/feel pain.
I am pretty sure the soul transfers damage as for example it never breaks and explains why the soul takes hits from mecha queen it transfers the damage to thrash machine.

Noelle says that Berdly "hit me in the face with a tornado", so maybe they can take magic attacks against their physical bodies rather than the soul?

Noelle says that Berdly "hit me in the face with a tornado", so maybe they can take magic attacks against their physical bodies rather than the soul?
It does suggest that the SOUL wasn't involved in this; She said in the face, implying a position, especially one she saw; If the SOUL was transferring the sensation of the tornado's hits to her face, but from a meter or 2 away, she might not describe it as "in the face", since the tornado wasn't physically AT her face, & especially if she could see that it was elsewhere.

It would be weird, but Deltarune & Undertale are explicit about not being entirely alike.

Although, other than that, I can't think of much we have as evidence that the characters are experiencing the attacks without the SOUL.

We also have the matter that projectiles on the overworld (Like the forest dancers, the plugs' electricity, painting fireballs, etc.) don't hit the party AT ALL unless they hit the SOUL, which is kinda weird; I doubt the party is impervious.

Not intended gameplay, but I find it interesting that the cutscene only accounts for Kris being down (Which, unlike the other party members, is intended; Having Kris go down early is the fastest way to clear that.) during the battle's ending cutscene, lol.

There's also King, who hits all three physically with his spades rather than the soul (after the fight, when Ralsei heals him)

Ayo, this thread looks complex, so can somebody like, give me a summary of everything so far, like all the new uogrades and whatnot to each character and new characters? I hear some DR characters went from wall level in chapter 1, then chapter 2 upgraded them to like building level~maybe even small town level. Can somebody please summarzie it all? thanks.

I hope DR characters are stronger this time.

Ayo, this thread looks complex, so can somebody like, give me a summary of everything so far, like all the new uogrades and whatnot to each character and new characters? I hear some DR characters went from wall level in chapter 1, then chapter 2 upgraded them to like building level~maybe even small town level. Can somebody please summarzie it all? thanks.

I hope DR characters are stronger this time.
Wall Level comes from Chapter 1 feats like Lancer's bike crashing into & exploding on contact with Ralsei, as well as the Jevilsknife-related calculations (But the Jevilsknife calcs may have had problems.), & possibly other stuff.

Chapter 2 characters should be stronger than Chapter 1 because: The Delta Warriors are all Level 1 throughout all of Chapter 1, & are all Level 2 throughout all of Chapter 2, with the following exceptions:

1. Obviously, we don't know of any changes in the Light World; LW Kris is Level 1, no matter what.
2. Noelle is Level 1 when she joins the party, & only becomes Level 2 if she uses IceShock (From what I've read, non-fatal IceShocks count for this, may be worth testing) OR you interact with the moss.
3. Edit: Quoting the Deltarune Wiki:
"In Chapter 1, maximum HP cannot be increased. From Chapter 2, if at least one enemy is defeated through violence, party members can increase their maximum HP at the end of the encounter. This does not carry over to other members who aren't in the party at the time. Kris, Susie and Ralsei gain +2 maximum HP for each encounter defeated violently, up to their LV3 initial maximum HP. Susie gains an additonal +1 maximum HP every second encounter. Unlike the other party members, and notably for the Snowgrave Route, Noelle gains +4 maximum HP for each encounter instead, and increments her AT and Magic every fourth encounter rather than every tenth as the other party members do."

It should be noted that, from what I've read reaching Level 3 occurs AFTER you go back to Castle Town AFTER sealing the Chapter 2 Fountain, implying that's tied to the stat gain.

Other than that & the change in the chapters (Presumably because Fountain Sealing?), nothing levels characters up. Given this basis, Chapter 2 characters should be stronger than Chapter 1.

The higher ratings come from Calculations of Giga Queen's attacks, but these probably only scale to the Thrash Machine mech, considering she's portrayed as way out of the league of The Delta Warriors when they're not in the mech.

Last edited:
but don't the delta warriors at least gain better durability? they survived the destruction of the thrash machine, which is at least somewhere building level.

but don't the delta warriors at least gain better durability? they survived the destruction of the thrash machine, which is at least somewhere building level.
The Thrash Machine was bisected, IIRC. Were they directly hit by the fist that broke the Thrash Machine? Did it explode?
If you mean scaling to Giga Queen's durability, after that fight, she threatens Noelle with "crushing Susie into 8 bits", likely meaning she'd kill Susie, & since she had Ralsei & Kris in her hand, too....

Well, if she can overcome their durability to crush all 3 of them at once to death, even after GQ took a bunch of damage, overheated, & is at 1% battery (Though this could just be a timer as opposed to how proportionally effective it is.), I don't think their durability should scale to Giga Queen's attacks.

If they were DIRECTLY hit by the detachable hand that bisected the Thrash Machine, I think, it might be worth calculating that; Giga Queen is otherwise like, a few orders of magnitude stronger than where they're rated. Way above their pay grade, & I'd dare call it an "outlier"; Giga Queen is treated as too strong for them without the Thrash Machine mech, & they lack feats on a similar level.

Personally, I seems to me that the Delta Heroes were outmatched by Giga Queen in base due to a size difference. The whole reason they do their power up stance is because Kris wasn't tall enough to reach the controls on the arcade machine, and so they recreate it for Queen.

Kris takes two attacks from Giga Queen in the battle, and all three to two hits from her before the battle. These attacks were clearly made with the intent to kill. These may be considered an outlier, sure, but this shows that Kris can take hits from her when she uses magic AND when they're physical attacks. Of course, other Darkners can attack Kris' soul, so this would scale to a majority of the cast.

Giga Queen's tier is looking to be 8-A due to her baseball attack, or 8-B via size.

If this doesn't work, it seems like everyone is getting 9-B, as Jevil's explosions, Spamton's size, and Lancer's bike all yielded 9-B results.

However, 9-A isn't impossible. Freezing a human is 9-A, and Noelle can freeze Darkners (which have blood, implying a similar biological makeup, and are roughly the size of humans, some smaller and some bigger) even at Lv 1 with Iceshock. IIRC, she can even freeze the ambulances, which is probably even higher into the tier than the result on the References for Common Feats Page.

Kris takes two attacks from Giga Queen in the battle, and all three to two hits from her before the battle.
When & which attacks?
These attacks were clearly made with the intent to kill.
Doubtful. She's usually pretty jovial & friendly with them, & she wanted their SOULs to expand the fountains.
These may be considered an outlier, sure, but this shows that Kris can take hits from her when she uses magic AND when they're physical attacks. Of course, other Darkners can attack Kris' soul, so this would scale to a majority of the cast.
Kris takes hits from her & goes unconscious. If they scale at all, it's very distantly.
Do we have evidence Darkners use Magic? & if it's an outlier, it shouldn't be scaled to Durability. (Also, possible battery acid properties aside, a laser may use heat-based durability.)
I'd assume attacking the SOUL is Durability Negation, unless the SOUL has its own Durability. & the SOUL can still do stuff when Kris can't, so using the SOUL's Durability for Kris is a little sketchy.
However, 9-A isn't impossible. Freezing a human is 9-A, and Noelle can freeze Darkners (which have blood, implying a similar biological makeup, and are roughly the size of humans, some smaller and some bigger) even at Lv 1 with Iceshock. IIRC, she can even freeze the ambulances, which is probably even higher into the tier than the result on the References for Common Feats Page.
You mean the Ambyu-Lances, the walking syringes with sirens or such? As opposed to an actual ambulance vehicle?
Also, Noelle becomes Level 2 after her first use of IceShock, even if it doesn't defeat/freeze the enemy.

I'm on mobile atm, so apologies if this looks messy.

Here at 0:13, 0:30, 3:17, and 5:13 are all the times the party members survive a hit from Giga Queen.

The first is her acid laser. She uses this in her fight to damage Thrash as well, so it's the same attack, just aimed towards the Delta Heroes this time. Susie and Noelle almost immediately recover, and can move and speak right after the hit. Clearly still conscious.

The second is her explosion hand, which shakes the building and knocks them to their doom, where Berdly saves them.

Then are the in-fight missiles and fire-breath, which Kris' SOUL takes. Luckily, as listed on his profile, he takes SOUL attacks as physical ones, so this counts. Soul attacks against Kris specifically aren't dura negation.

While I can't find the exact scenes, yes, Ralsei refers to his skills as magic multiple times. Pretty sure Susie also calls UltimatHeal a magical technique.

And yeah, forgot the ambyu-lances weren't actually vehicles, rather they use actual ambulances as attacks.

Personally, I seems to me that the Delta Heroes were outmatched by Giga Queen in base due to a size difference. The whole reason they do their power up stance is because Kris wasn't tall enough to reach the controls on the arcade machine, and so they recreate it for Queen.

Kris takes two attacks from Giga Queen in the battle, and all three to two hits from her before the battle. These attacks were clearly made with the intent to kill. These may be considered an outlier, sure, but this shows that Kris can take hits from her when she uses magic AND when they're physical attacks. Of course, other Darkners can attack Kris' soul, so this would scale to a majority of the cast.

Giga Queen's tier is looking to be 8-A due to her baseball attack, or 8-B via size.

If this doesn't work, it seems like everyone is getting 9-B, as Jevil's explosions, Spamton's size, and Lancer's bike all yielded 9-B results.

Maybe 3x the 9-B ratings due to Spamton NEO

I'm on mobile atm, so apologies if this looks messy.
No problem. There's not much wrong with taking time to do things neatly, I say.
Here at 0:13, 0:30, 3:17, and 5:13 are all the times the party members survive a hit from Giga Queen.

The first is her acid laser. She uses this in her fight to damage Thrash as well, so it's the same attack, just aimed towards the Delta Heroes this time. Susie and Noelle almost immediately recover, and can move and speak right after the hit. Clearly still conscious.
I recall you saying:
Kris not getting up (Not to mention the whole problem with them not actually fighting her & being portrayed as not match for her.) feels like it creates a problem with this. Being conscious (& after being downed by 1 hit.) doesn't mean in any condition to put up a fight.
The second is her explosion hand, which shakes the building and knocks them to their doom, where Berdly saves them.
May be worth calc-ing, if it's possible; It didn't directly hit them, but she made a shockwave or shook the area powerfully enough to launch them off.
Still, she implied she was holding back through her sarcastically saying she wouldn't, & she didn't hit them directly, so I'm unsure it's a good basis to scale off of.
Then are the in-fight missiles and fire-breath, which Kris' SOUL takes. Luckily, as listed on his profile, he takes SOUL attacks as physical ones, so this counts. Soul attacks against Kris specifically aren't dura negation.
What's the basis for this again? Keep in mind the SOUL can act when Kris is down, & UT & DR aren't the same 'verse. & keep in mind, the missiles & fire breath get their damage transferred to the Thrash Machine they need to fight Giga Queen, & which has a health bar based, not on Kris or Susie or Ralsei, but how many you recruited; It's not connected to the health of the pilots.
While I can't find the exact scenes, yes, Ralsei refers to his skills as magic multiple times. Pretty sure Susie also calls UltimatHeal a magical technique.
Fair. (Although, Susie is not a Darkner, even if Ralsei taught her, so she's a flawed example. Heck, it shows Lightners can use Magic, too, & she & Ralsei can attack without Magic....)
And yeah, forgot the ambyu-lances weren't actually vehicles, rather they use actual ambulances as attacks.
Ambulances similar on size to the bullet board, & which wouldn't make sense being that size; When Kris, Susie & Ralsei are with Noelle, how would an ambulance vehicle fit on the high-up catwalk they're going across to get to the switch behind the mandatory Ambyu-Lance battle?

Was reading the DR Wiki, & noticed some interesting stuff:
Among other times, Ralsei's title in the menu changes, depending on the option taken when taking a photo on the Swan Boat ride. If you choose No Pose, to have Kris not pose, Ralsei's title changes to....
Blank PrinceDoesn't even have a photo.
Also, in the Cafe in the Post-Chapter 2 Castle Town, if you talk to the Swatch, who's behind the counter, you can get a recommendation.
Unfortunately, footage of this is INFURIATINGLY difficult to find, but:

"For the young prince, we recommend the vanilla green tea. ...There's not much to go off besides your color."
He has recommendations for the other Party Members, including Noelle (Despite that she can't go there.), but other than a text dump, I don't have much of a source on it.

Anyway, even if there aren't many conclusions we can gleam from this, the implications feel obvious, especially considering we have stuff like Queen failing to even notice Ralsei exists for most of Chapter 2.

Was reading the DR Wiki, & noticed some interesting stuff:
Among other times, Ralsei's title in the menu changes, depending on the option taken when taking a photo on the Swan Boat ride. If you choose No Pose, to have Kris not pose, Ralsei's title changes to....
Blank PrinceDoesn't even have a photo.
Also, in the Cafe in the Post-Chapter 2 Castle Town, if you talk to the Swatch, who's behind the counter, you can get a recommendation.
Unfortunately, footage of this is INFURIATINGLY difficult to find, but:

"For the young prince, we recommend the vanilla green tea. ...There's not much to go off besides your color."
He has recommendations for the other Party Members, including Noelle (Despite that she can't go there.), but other than a text dump, I don't have much of a source on it.

Anyway, even if there aren't many conclusions we can gleam from this, the implications feel obvious, especially considering we have stuff like Queen failing to even notice Ralsei exists for most of Chapter 2.

Ralsei being Kris' green crayon which was missing at the start of the game.

A possibility, though it'd be a little bit strange;
Oh, there are... explanations, or excuses, for these.

How would a Green Crayon get to the Hallway Closet?
If Kris is the knight, they could have taken it before Chapter 1.
If they is not the knight, they could have used it the night before Chapter 1 on school.
Or, they could have donated it to school much like they does it with their books.
why be so emotive? Be a goat?
The Dark Fountain reflects its will to its Darkners. It's Kris' Crayon, Kris wanted to be a goat just like their mom and brother, they used to have a toy red-horn they'd wear, much like ralsei does, and wanted to use magic according to their search results. It makes sense, but Toby needs to give us more info.

If Kris is the knight, they could have taken it before Chapter 1.
Why would The Knight want Ralsei to exist? Why would Ralsei feign ignorance of this, yet still pursue taking down the fountains the Knight seems intent on creating?
If they is not the knight, they could have used it the night before Chapter 1 on school.
Kris lacks a reason to go to the hall closet, & reacted in surprise/fear to the darkness in the hall closet, as if surprised, & seemed similarly apprehensive for the Library Computer Lab's darkness.
& it wouldn't make sense for them to fake it, because Susie didn't have reason to suspect Kris as the Knight, nor is she portrayed as the smartest or most thoughtful member of the party; They don't need to deceive her.
Or, they could have donated it to school much like they does it with their books.
Yet they point out it's missing without explaining that they donated it? Plus, if it has any connection to Asriel, they might not get rid of it, similar to how they haven't returned How to Draw Dragons to the library in over 7 years.
The Dark Fountain reflects its will to its Darkners. It's Kris' Crayon, Kris wanted to be a goat just like their mom and brother, they used to have a toy red-horn they'd wear, much like ralsei does, and wanted to use magic according to their search results. It makes sense, but Toby needs to give us more info.
Yet the drawing of Alvin someone depicted didn't come to life?

& again, The Green Crayon ended up in the Hall Closet. Kris in the past, AFAIK, lacks a reason to go there, let alone abandon a crayon, as opposed to the unused classroom.

Frankly, I'm sketpical it's the case.

Ralsei is probably the headband with fake horns that Toriel got Kris when they asked about their horns, wearing the green crayon, or perhaps colored by it.

Also. I haven't seen pretty much anyone mention it at all anywhere in the community, but I'm completely certain that year dates are going to have extreme relevance. I don't have an actual theory about it, I just know that it's going to matter.

First of all, what brought this thought to me was the simple and obvious fact that Spamton's favorite year is 1997. Which he emphasizes greatly. Naturally, his favorite year would also likely be when he was most successful, or rather, when he was a big shot. That also may imply that the year in the Light World is also 1997. Which is consistent with what we see. Box TV's that still use antennae, old-fashioned computers, an old-fashioned phone, the clothes characters wear (primarily Susie), and the school itself doesn't seem modern.

Going back to Undertale, there is also great focus on the years in question. In the intro it says that, much after the Monster Vs. Human war, the year is 201X. Which is where we see the scene of Chara, not Frisk, falling into the Underground, In Toriel's home, the calendar is noted as being old, and comes from the beginning of 201X. In New Home, the calendar here is also old, and is from the end of 201X, with a date circled on it. It's also said that the Monster's had gone to the very back of the cavern first, which is where the Ruins are, to be as far from the Barrier and humanity as possible. But eventually they started to make the underground their home, going from there all the way back to the front, where the Barrier is, building along the way. Apparently it took them only about a year to do all of that. And during that timeframe, Chara fell into the underground.

This also makes me wonder how long the gap actually was, though. Chara would've needed to have enter the underground near the end of 201X as well, meaning their death was more than likely in the following year. If the gap between then and Frisk's arrival was really as big as most people believed, the actual game would be taking place in the very far future. Most likely, I'd guess Chara actually died in 2011 or 2012, and because there were 6 humans between that and Frisk, possibly 1 year for each human, meaning Frisk may have arrived in 2017 or 2018. But that's another topic.

On Twitter, Toby made two tweets a while back at the start of 2020. Which didn't actually give any real hints. But I wanted to mention it.

"It became the year 2020.

The era of 201X is now over..."

Followed by a Tweet that said:

"Meanwhile, in 199X"

Then he posts this image.

ENT5_1iW4AAgI8w

I doubt any of that has actually relevant meaning, honestly. Probably just a callback to Undertale because the year 201X was relevant, and a joke in the next tweet. But at the very least it once again brings up the year 201X as a relevant date.

So, Deltarune takes place in likely 1997, or at the very least before 2000. Whereas Undertale all takes place in the 2010's, with the Chara backstory being in probably 2011 or 2012, with the main events of the game being much later into the 2010's. It's also possible that the game's main events actually do take place in 2015, and maybe some of the humans in between Chara and Frisk were much closer together than previously thought.

Can any theories be derived from all this?

I don’t think Deltarune takes place in 1997- probably sometime after, with the way Spamton regards it- but it’s also mentioned during the Virovirokun dialogue. I don’t have a clip, but occasionally when you fight him, he’ll say something about 1997.

There are a few other Easter eggs, like Poppup being able to show you an Everyman in its ads on occasion (Which also has a weird black background as well..). But if 1997 is important, then it’s notable that it’s not only Spamton who mentions it.

Also, I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but Big Shot, Spamton NEO's theme, actually has barely audible dialogue in it that is pretty much impossible to hear and process when fighting him. Even when people try to isolate it, a lot of what's said is still really hard to understand.

1. "Please, Mike/Knight, answer the phone." (I personally hear it as Knight)

2. "Please, hahaha." "Please, I'll listen on and on." "You've assisted me all along." (It's probably the last one knowing Spamton's backstory)

3. "Pull the strings, (possibly an "and" here) make it/them ring." or "The suspense is making me freak." (The former seems to be more likely based on Spamton's motives, the fact that he literally has strings attached to him in his boss fight, and audio later on)

4. "To/Can't/I'll tell you how much it's ringing."

5. and 6. are the same as 1 and 2.

7. "Pull the strings and pull the strings and-" (Here it definitely sounds like "Pull the strings", much more than number 3)

8. "-Tell me what you're really selling." or "Tell me what releases us." (Most people seem to agree on this last one being the former)

So, I'll go ahead and fully quote it all in what I personally believe is being said.

"Please, Knight, answer the phone. You've assisted me all along. Pull the strings, and make them ring. I'll tell you how much it's ringing. Please, Knight, answer the phone. You've assisted me all along. Pull the strings and pull the strings and TELL ME WHAT YOU'RE REALLY SELLING."

Side note: We already have heavy implications of Gaster being the Knight. It's heavily implied that the person behind the tree who gives you an EGG is the Knight (both that and the wording also implying it's Gaster). And whenever we see pipis, it's in the shape of an egg.

I don’t think Deltarune takes place in 1997- probably sometime after, with the way Spamton regards it- but it’s also mentioned during the Virovirokun dialogue. I don’t have a clip, but occasionally when you fight him, he’ll say something about 1997.

There are a few other Easter eggs, like Poppup being able to show you an Everyman in its ads on occasion (Which also has a weird black background as well..). But if 1997 is important, then it’s notable that it’s not only Spamton who mentions it.
Good catch. I went to its page and the dialogue box can say
  • Happy new year 1997! [Neutral]
...Interesting. Not sure what to make of that.

Also. I haven't seen pretty much anyone mention it at all anywhere in the community, but I'm completely certain that year dates are going to have extreme relevance. I don't have an actual theory about it, I just know that it's going to matter.

First of all, what brought this thought to me was the simple and obvious fact that Spamton's favorite year is 1997. Which he emphasizes greatly. Naturally, his favorite year would also likely be when he was most successful, or rather, when he was a big shot. That also may imply that the year in the Light World is also 1997. Which is consistent with what we see. Box TV's that still use antennae, old-fashioned computers, an old-fashioned phone, the clothes characters wear (primarily Susie), and the school itself doesn't seem modern.
Toriel's TV is described as "dusty".
They have modern looking laptops and notebooks,
Aaaand, what exactly do you mean by "old-fashioned computers"? I don't think it was so common to search for flash games to play online (and their respective cheat codes) nor searching for a tutorial on a Youtube-like site in 1997. Also, Asriel's PC looks very normal to me

We probably lack too much information to assume anything.... Also, Alphys watches Anime on her phone, it is not 1997.

Fuuurthermore, Kris and Asriel played Super Smash Fighters, a clear reference to SSB, which was released in 1999. Even assuming they played in the year of release (huge doubt), many years have passed, probably more than ten since Asriel was described as "very little" when he was a Yoshi main (based Azzy btw).

There's also Burgerpants web-dating, something... uhh. relatively modern. I do know it existed before, but that's not 1997. Also, a low quality picture/camera from a phone is considered terrible, while in 1997, being able to send pictures with at all would already be impressive.

We also haven't seen Kris's phone; It doesn't have a sprite, so we don't know if it's the same old model like Frisk's.
Another thing about the year is Poppup has dialogue saying: "This application is only supported by OS 2000."

Darkners seem to be based on things in the Light World. A computer's description text tells us Poppup is probably based on the dolphin screensaver advertising some kind of malware.
It's unlikely for a program that's already installed to be saying it's only supported by an operating system that the program is already being run on, or which isn't publicly released yet. The former, for obvious reasons, & the latter because if the OS your program is for isn't publicly available, then why would your program be out either?

Ergo, OS 2000 already came out. Just by the name alone, we can tell it's from the year 2000, & IRL, Windows did get general availability on February 17th, 2000.

The conclusion would be that, based on that message, the evidence @GodlyCharmander mentioned, Spamton talking about 1997 as his "favorite year" implying past tense, 1997 is in the past. & Poppup's dialogue tells us the year 2000 is in the past, too, because OS 2000 has been obsoleted.

Last edited:
Aaaand, what exactly do you mean by "old-fashioned computers"?

It'd be a bit of a pain in the butt to get a screenshot/footage of the laptop's description, but it's described as being "state of the art". The library computers are also big & blocky. But I'm pretty sure even in the 2000s, blocky computers weren't uncommon.
Especially at a public library, which, if they point out 1 laptop as being "state of the art", it probably means it's special; Either it's so new it's uncommon to have such a laptop at all, or it's very expensive. Public libraries often have limited funds, may often ask for donations, etc.

The computer in Kris/Asriel's room looks slightly less blocky, but unlike the library computers, we see it facing vertically, not horizontally, so it may be wider. Or narrower. I'm unsure.

Last edited:
Back