• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Screenshot_2024-04-23_135323.png
And there we go

It's still irritating that DB didn't see the warning signs of RT's closure for years and plan accordingly for if and when things were going to shut down so they can continue to do the show under any capacity. But alas it's GG no re and I wish nothing less than the best for Ben, Chad, and everyone else involved with the DB crew and I hope they can find successful careers in other mediums.

It's still irritating that DB didn't see the warning signs of RT's closure for years and plan accordingly for if and when things were going to shut down so they can continue to do the show under any capacity. But alas it's GG no re and I wish nothing less than the best for Ben, Chad, and everyone else involved with the DB crew and I hope they can find successful careers in other mediums.
DB really needed someone on the outside to penetrate the bubble so to speak. Tell them what the popular matchups are and that there were obvious warning signs their parent company is going under.

Sometimes you just need someone with a different perspective to show you the seemingly obvious.

Tbh when the parent company essentially locked itself into an echo chamber that refused to accept nor acknowledge 80% of the criticism it received (constructive or otherwise) while covering up and scapegoating it's own internal issues, it's difficult to branch out for potential contingencies without dealing with stubborn red tape but yeah Ben, Chad and the rest of the DB team more than earned whatever successful future endeavours they may venture into (a shame DB is ending but nothing of value lasts forever).

Uh so now that DB’s kicked the bucket and most people mainly watch them for the animation, we should share some fight animations we like. These two are pretty cool.

I remember seeing this FW Godzilla vs Axor animation years ago. Back in those days, I added the render of Axor from that animation into his profile, the good times.

Reading through all of these has been massively interesting, don't get me wrong. It's super cool to see a lot of the thoughts behind the series as we know if all leading up to this.

...But at the same time...Does feel like a lot of: "This isn't a liked episode, but I think it's good" and "[List of criticism that the episode gets], but I don't think that'd valid".

The big one for me was the "Rewatch Yang Vs. Tifa. You're wrong about the animation, it's good." ...I did and I still didn't really like it.

The insight is really interesting, but a lot of the respective kinda feels like: "Anything you disliked about this show is wrong." on repeat when it's not stories about what was going at the time that I do actually think is really interesting to read through.
Eh It's more that I'm less critical of past episodes over power scaling logic. I kinda realize that a lot of that aspect of the show tended to be influenced by the opinions, biases and standards of whatever time they where made in. As well as the fact that I probably wouldn't even notice the reception of some eps without being near the hardcore community.

With Yang vs Tifa it absolutely doesn't make sense by modern vs logic and was contested back then for various reasons, I'm just saying I appreciate the animation cause I realize caring so much about the former made me under look the latter.

I'm also more willing to see the good points of episodes and not focus on the negatives, since I myself have been attacked in the past for various things. I'm not gonna be overtly negative even If I acknowledge various issues old eps had. And let's be honest some of the meltdowns people have had in the past are a bit much.

Eh It's more that I'm less critical of past episodes over power scaling logic. I kinda realize that a lot of that aspect of the show tended to be influenced by the opinions, biases and standards of whatever time they where made in. As well as the fact that I probably wouldn't even notice the reception of some eps without being near the hardcore community.

With Yang vs Tifa it absolutely doesn't make sense by modern vs logic and was contested back then for various reasons, I'm just saying I appreciate the animation cause I realize caring so much about the former made me under look the latter.

I'm also more willing to see the good points of episodes and not focus on the negatives, since I myself have been attacked in the past for various things. I'm not gonna be overtly negative even If I acknowledge various issues old eps had. And let's be honest some of the meltdowns people have had in the past are a bit much.
This makes me think, I know I sound like a broken record about it, but if Death Battle openly admits they got something wrong there would be a subset of the fandom jumping at them in a very ugly way, which pretty much kills any possibility of simply talking it out. This also being why they simply put updated research when there are changes or corrections for a character.

And all of that is entirely fair, it's your retrospective, sharing your opinions and what you want to put out there, and I still greatly appreciate getting to read through all of it. Don't get me wrong in the slightest.

...But on the flipside, and your retrospective even had a mention of this, your phrasing/way of expressing yourself sometimes comes off as something like an assertion, or even a challenge to the idea your responding to? Not sure how to phrase it correctly.

The Yang Vs. Tifa one is one I brought up because, at least how I read it, your retrospective almost seemed written as if it was confident that the reader who held the perspective that they didn't like the animation would change on a rewatch. Hell, I'll give you credit, I didn't want to post my thoughts without one, so I DID rewatch it. But I just couldn't come back to the retrospective with the same appreciation you talked about.

That's moreso what I mean. Either intentionally or not, your way of addressing those things can come off as dismissive, and that kinda stood out for me based on how I went into reading these, and what I got out of it.

Again, don't misunderstand that sentiment. I couldn't be happier that you took the time to do this, it was a fascinating read, I felt it gave me more insight into the show's history and what was going on in each era, and I massively appreciated it. Just wanted to voice how and why I didn't feel like I always agreed with it, and the 'vibe' it left me on.

And of course...all of this comes just from completely different perspectives. I've only ever watched the show from an isolated position for years, didn't even get into anything resembling the battleboarding community until a few years ago, and started to only sparsely post here on a Death Battle focused thread within the last 2 or 3(?) last seasons. What's affected me, what I value, and my interactions with others has just been completely different, and it's affected what I value in the show and how I process the ways others express their own thoughts on the show and everything surrounding it. I very much can't be in your shoes to reflect on things that way, so that will also affect how I read it compared to what you really feel.

The never ending loop of posting to the internet, you can only get so much out of what the person meant, and then everyone else does the same to how you respond.

And all of that is entirely fair, it's your retrospective, sharing your opinions and what you want to put out there, and I still greatly appreciate getting to read through all of it. Don't get me wrong in the slightest.

...But on the flipside, and your retrospective even had a mention of this, your phrasing/way of expressing yourself sometimes comes off as something like an assertion, or even a challenge to the idea your responding to? Not sure how to phrase it correctly.

The Yang Vs. Tifa one is one I brought up because, at least how I read it, your retrospective almost seemed written as if it was confident that the reader who held the perspective that they didn't like the animation would change on a rewatch. Hell, I'll give you credit, I didn't want to post my thoughts without one, so I DID rewatch it. But I just couldn't come back to the retrospective with the same appreciation you talked about.

That's moreso what I mean. Either intentionally or not, your way of addressing those things can come off as dismissive, and that kinda stood out for me based on how I went into reading these, and what I got out of it.

Again, don't misunderstand that sentiment. I couldn't be happier that you took the time to do this, it was a fascinating read, I felt it gave me more insight into the show's history and what was going on in each era, and I massively appreciated it. Just wanted to voice how and why I didn't feel like I always agreed with it, and the 'vibe' it left me on.

And of course...all of this comes just from completely different perspectives. I've only ever watched the show from an isolated position for years, didn't even get into anything resembling the battleboarding community until a few years ago, and started to only sparsely post here on a Death Battle focused thread within the last 2 or 3(?) last seasons. What's affected me, what I value, and my interactions with others has just been completely different, and it's affected what I value in the show and how I process the ways others express their own thoughts on the show and everything surrounding it. I very much can't be in your shoes to reflect on things that way, so that will also affect how I read it compared to what you really feel.

The never ending loop of posting to the internet, you can only get so much out of what the person meant, and then everyone else does the same to how you respond.
Ur fine

Anyway I just meant that "you may have thought less about animation at the time due to the controversy over the results". Not that if you didn't like the animation specifically then, you'd like it now. For the record there's plenty of criticisms of various eps I think are substantiated. It probably just comes off that way cause I'm not really pulling my punches quite as much as I normally do on some of these recounts, and some of that is directed towards people/communities you've never met before.

Ur fine

Anyway I just meant that "you may have thought less about animation at the time due to the controversy over the results". Not that if you didn't like the animation specifically then, you'd like it now. For the record there's plenty of criticisms of various eps I think are substantiated. It probably just comes off that way cause I'm not really pulling my punches quite as much as I normally do on some of these recounts, and some of that is directed towards people/communities you've never met before.
That part in particular is one of the biggest disconnects I'll also admit. And really about anything.

As the reader, you're 'talking to me', even when I'm not actually the person in question, I've never had any connection to the things you've seen or the things that gave you your perspective. Really hard to avoid that one.

Again, interpretation of what was there Vs. actual intent. I'll get all of us every time.

That part in particular is one of the biggest disconnects I'll also admit. And really about anything.

As the reader, you're 'talking to me', even when I'm not actually the person in question, I've never had any connection to the things you've seen or the things that gave you your perspective. Really hard to avoid that one.

Again, interpretation of what was there Vs. actual intent. I'll get all of us every time.
Don't worry ur fine. I happened to be around cause I've been checking a lot of the Death Battle fandom locations recently, so I figured I'd comment on it.

@Ultraguy_9000

I can only imagine how much of a headache it must’ve been for stuff like Ben vs Hal or Trunks vs Silver must’ve been. I remember enjoying some of the QnA you’d post every now and then, but I can’t exactly blame you for stopping if all it did was just cause more stupid drama for the sake of a verdict being different.

Back