• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brony2.gif

How many bad things were in it?
Sorry I'm so late responding to this, had stuff to do
  1. They say they don't want to use the Archie Comics, and then used no less than 7 things other than the games (Including the god damn Super Show and OVA. Don't get me wrong, I love the Super Show and OVA, but they have zero place in a game canon only debate). I'm pretty sure the only thing they didn't use for Mario was the Live Action movie
  2. The animation was absolute dogshit. Sonic was getting his ass kicked literally every moment past the very beginning when he wasn't literally totally immune to Mario's attacks. Like when he fights the Cat Marios and just stands there and accepts his fate. Some of the ways Sonic is hurt also feel straight from Dorkly. Not to mention the Super Form vs Invincibility Mario was just the same clash looped three times and an extremely unimpactful moon destruction.
  3. Voice acting was bad. Mario's voice was totally unlike him, and having him say coherent phrases instead of the silent comedy and italian babble with the occasional catchphrase was dumb and unnecessary.
  4. They didn't even give a level of power for Super Sonic. They just didn't give one. The closest thing was saying Super Sonic dosn't scale to Time Eater and Solaris because they don't have the same power source (Demonstrably false for the latter)
  5. They wrote off Sonic's lightspeed stuff as bragging even though it was in response to a machine measuring his speed and saying he was close to lightspeed.
  6. It in general feels like they did the bare minimum for research, only using extremely well known feats or feats they had calced before.
  7. Mario and Sonic use almost none of their arsenal, despite how much is mentioned. Sonic uses a Fire Wisp and Hyper Sonic (Bubble shield too but it does literally nothing), while Mario uses Fireballs, a Cat Suit, Double Cherry, Super Star and Wing Cap.
  8. Mario had wincons mentioned in the post analysis using power ups he very specifically cannot carry around with him like the Stopwatch from Mario 2 and the Golden Flower.
  9. Invincibility Star No Limits Fallacy.
MvS2 is probably the worst episode in the series bar Goku vs Superman 2 and the Cyberbullying Duology.

Sorry I'm so late responding to this, had stuff to do
  1. They say they don't want to use the Archie Comics, and then used no less than 7 things other than the games (Including the god damn Super Show and OVA. Don't get me wrong, I love the Super Show and OVA, but they have zero place in a game canon only debate). I'm pretty sure the only thing they didn't use for Mario was the Live Action movie
  2. The animation was absolute dogshit. Sonic was getting his ass kicked literally every moment past the very beginning when he wasn't literally totally immune to Mario's attacks. Like when he fights the Cat Marios and just stands there and accepts his fate. Some of the ways Sonic is hurt also feel straight from Dorkly. Not to mention the Super Form vs Invincibility Mario was just the same clash looped three times and an extremely unimpactful moon destruction.
  3. Voice acting was bad. Mario's voice was totally unlike him, and having him say coherent phrases instead of the silent comedy and italian babble with the occasional catchphrase was dumb and unnecessary.
  4. They didn't even give a level of power for Super Sonic. They just didn't give one. The closest thing was saying Super Sonic dosn't scale to Time Eater and Solaris because they don't have the same power source (Demonstrably false for the latter)
  5. They wrote off Sonic's lightspeed stuff as bragging even though it was in response to a machine measuring his speed and saying he was close to lightspeed.
  6. It in general feels like they did the bare minimum for research, only using extremely well known feats or feats they had calced before.
  7. Mario and Sonic use almost none of their arsenal, despite how much is mentioned. Sonic uses a Fire Wisp and Hyper Sonic (Bubble shield too but it does literally nothing), while Mario uses Fireballs, a Cat Suit, Double Cherry, Super Star and Wing Cap.
  8. Mario had wincons mentioned in the post analysis using power ups he very specifically cannot carry around with him like the Stopwatch from Mario 2 and the Golden Flower.
  9. Invincibility Star No Limits Fallacy.
MvS2 is probably the worst episode in the series bar Goku vs Superman 2 and the Cyberbullying Duology.
You forgot about Guts vs Nightmare where they said "Guts fights and kills demons that kick the absolute shit out of him already, so he wins".

You forgot about Guts vs Nightmare where they said "Guts fights and kills demons that kick the absolute shit out of him already, so he wins".
Yeah, but Guts vs Nightmare had a dope ass fight and it being wrong is more acceptable since it was Season 2.

Like, seriously, the sounds made by Nightmare's armor when he moves and and when Guts just ******* walks are more impactful than any of the hits in the first half of Hulk vs Broly.

I really don't care, I ******* hate that episode because my favorite Soul Calibur Character was put at his absolute maximum which at the time was at least Planet Level bare minimum and he still lost to Guts because of stupidity.
It was Season 2. They didn't do things like "Calculate feats" or "Power scale" or "make custom sprites of Inferno instead of using Cinder from Killer instinct".

Even if it didn't have the Season 2 excuse, the animation's good enough to put it above Mario vs Sonic 2.

Anyways, Guts is gonna get murdered by Dimitri or that chick from Claymore and Nightmare probably stomps whoever they make him fight if they use him again.
Nightmare one-shots Arthas but has a really hard time even hitting Arthas if they use the TCG and just becomes an ice cube eventually.

Oryx, the Mad God blitzes and dura negs Nightmare
If they bring back Nightmare, the only opponent that makes sense is the Lich King/Frostmourne since they're kinda similar in what they do.
I doubt it'll happen, since doing anything with Blizzard IPs is PR suicide.

Awesome animation doesn't save a fight for me that I think is wrong, honestly.

If I'm convinced a result is wrong, then it's just insulting that I watched the character die, sometimes in a disrespectful way or mangled way where their corpse is utterly ruined, and get an outro that praises the winner and occasionally downplays or outright insults the loser while I sit there unconvinced.

Honestly, that's a thing that tends to bug me a lot. A lot of people get hyped for deaths, but I really don't like corpses being desiccated. It's a thing that gets to me for some reason, so when a character is left so...mangled after the fight it just gives me such a bad feeling in the aftermath. There's very few deaths where I don't feel at least somewhat uneasy about.

Might be weird to not like the 'Death' of 'Death Battle' but there's not a lot of VS Shows to watch regularly and a lot of them go for the death too so I'm just outta luck

Eh. Warcraft was from before they were the way they are now, and the Lich King is iconic enough that they'd probably be able to get away with it.

It's not like it's honoring modern Blizzard employees to use a character from before they probably joined the company.
Sire we have had Tracer vs Scout and Black Widow vs Widowmaker before. And yes Overwatch is a Blizzard game.

A Warcraft or Starcraft or even Diablo character in a Death Battle is overdue.

I honestly think forcing the end result to be Death was a mistake. Honestly limits what you can do, espesially since a lot of fights would still end in a death regardless.
In particular, makes certain combatant's wins really stand out (Such as Aang going for the kill), as well as forces writing situations that don't totally check out. A lot of characters totally could have, and reasonably should have, ended their fights with just incapacitation or even talking the other fighter down after showing that they can't win.

Instead, we watch characters we love do things we know they shouldn't and end caked in more blood than they every should be over occasionally ridiculous reasons to fight, or no reason at all.

An animation that doesn't feel in character can really get under my skin quickly...

"Might be weird to not like the 'Death' of 'Death Battle' but there's not a lot of VS Shows to watch regularly and a lot of them go for the death too so I'm just outta luck"

I'm aware, I know there's nothing I can do about it, there's no going back, and 'Popular Character will Die' is probably a major factor for its early attention...But it doesn't change the fact that the foundation of the show can be criticized for what it does and what it limits, and what we may not like about it.

Some Deaths feel unwarranted, out of character, or painfully forced to be 'believable'. For some of us that's a thing to not like. Shrug

"Might be weird to not like the 'Death' of 'Death Battle' but there's not a lot of VS Shows to watch regularly and a lot of them go for the death too so I'm just outta luck"

I'm aware, I know there's nothing I can do about it, there's no going back, and 'Popular Character will Die' is probably a major factor for its early attention...But it doesn't change the fact that the foundation of the show can be criticized for what it does and what it limits, and what we may not like about it.

Some Deaths feel unwarranted, out of character, or painfully forced to be 'believable'. For some of us that's a thing to not like. Shrug
You can criticize about how they execute the deaths moreso than anything which is fine and Fair all of us have at this point

Also, alotta sexism, I just noticed
Espesially in the early seasons, though it's practically nonexistent nowadays, to the point that Boomstick has actually spoken fairly progressively in episodes like Batgirl vs Spider-Gwen and Blake vs Mikasa.

In general, Boomstick's kinda developed to be less and less of a terrible person over time (Which became extremely noticeable around the same time he started bringing his daughter up, so that may have something to do with it)

Espesially in the early seasons, though it's practically nonexistent nowadays, to the point that Boomstick has actually spoken fairly progressively in episodes like Batgirl vs Spider-Gwen and Blake vs Mikasa.

In general, Boomstick's kinda developed to be less and less of a terrible person over time (Which became extremely noticeable around the same time he started bringing his daughter up, so that may have something to do with it)
Also the Los noches joke

MvS2 is at least one of the worst modern episodes from post S5 especially if looked at analysis wise.

I rate Kirby vs Buu & GvS1 high because they have great fights. Maybe not fully accurately representing characters, but fun. As bad as research in MvS2 is, a good animation could have salvaged it.

That didn't happen.

The fight choreography is not good as Smashor said. Somehow S1 Ben animation felt better representation of Mario vs Sonic. Its only advantage is being hand drawn.

And research is just so bad the only reason I theorize it happened is because Ben denied research team launch star calcs and pocket dimension star shenanigans for Mario so research team went out of their way to make a lot of shit up.

Can you say its worst of S5? Technically that season massively lowballed Raven, Twilight, Carnage and said Crash had autism.

Even if S6 started to "wank" some parts, none of S6-8 feel as bad as MvS2, even Ben vs Hal being closest had mainly bad explanations, but not necessarily a wrong one.

The only solace is that its sub 80% likes which last time I looked makes it in Top 15 most disliked DBs %-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back