• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dante (DMC) Regen Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
One uses demonic energy to regen cells after accepting cell damage.

The other he choose to block with energy. With powers similar to royal guard.

Uhm... he catches the second bullet with his teeth.

Also, if regenerating a bullet hole through your head is actually Mid, then I guess that's fine.

Sigurd Snake in The Eye said:
This can be low-mid too imo.
That's what I'm thinking. I am used to the idea that regenerating from that is Low-Mid, but recently I've been told that's Mid.

Getting a bullet through your head and skull that pierces through your brain is very much severe brain damage, which is Mid.

Most complex is still a single organ in the human body.

But hey, that's for another thread

It depends what we qualify as severe.

The bullet pierced his head, yes, but to what extent? Surely we'd treat any brain damage that could result in bleeding as severe, but in fiction this may be different.

A bullet to the head, something that may have only hit a small part of his brain as you could see he was durable enough to catch the bullet with his teeth, meaning his bones shouldn't be too far off as to halt the bullet from passing much through his skull, so there's the likelihood of some harm, but not much

We treat the brain damage as something in comparison to decapitation (complete head removal), meaning this damage must almost completely destroy the brain if it were to qualify for Mid, in my opinion.

I think Dante did not take too much of the first bullet, because if the bullet could breeze through his head and leave a potential gaping hole (again, near complete brain destruction were looking at) then his teeth shouldn't have caught the second one.

@Abtractions

Steve is rated Mid for having multiple arrows shot trought his skull

and stopping a bullet with your teeth would require far less strenght than tanking it.

Overlord775 said:
@Abtractions

Steve is rated Mid for having multiple arrows shot trought his skull

and stopping a bullet with your teeth would require far less strenght than tanking it.
The point of that being "through", I said that Dante's skull was durable enough to halt the bullet's momentum enough to where damage to the brain would be negligible. We don't see the bullet go through, we just see blood on his head, which could still be a result of the bullet reaching the skull, but we are generous enough to assume that the bullet pierced it to some degree.

Stopping the bullet at all would still cause relative damage to the object that stopped it, see Ozymandias bleeding despite catching a bullet in his hand. My point was that if a bullet could easily breeze through his skull and leave severe damage to his brain, he wouldn't have been able to catch the second one without being harmed in turn.

Again, not what I said.

I said the skull halted the momentum of the bullet with its durability, not that it didn't hit the brain at all.

We don't see any blood burst out the back end as if it went through his head, there's no evidence of any severe brain damage.

I think that could just show how impressive Dante's regen is rather than it being an argument for no brain damage.

The reason we don't see any blood burst out the back end is because the way the cutscene was shot just didn't show it, during and after Dante was shot no camera showed the back of his head fully.And after Dante was shot it took a roughly 8 seconds for him to walk back to the cliff and respond to Lady shooting him so it could be argued the brain damaged was severe but he just regenerated from it.

Based on what everyone's saying, it seems to me that a good points for both sides.

How about instead of just Mid, we have his Regen be 'At least Low-Mid, likely Mid'?

The camera never shows the full on back of his head after that so blood being on his hair could still be possible at least until that scene ends because blood and damage likes to suddenly disappear after cutscenes or certain jump shots.

The bullet in his brain would explain everything ovo

Dienomite22 said:
I think that could just show how impressive Dante's regen is rather than it being an argument for no brain damage.

The reason we don't see any blood burst out the back end is because the way the cutscene was shot just didn't show it, during and after Dante was shot no camera showed the back of his head fully.And after Dante was shot it took a roughly 8 seconds for him to walk back to the cliff and respond to Lady shooting him so it could be argued the brain damaged was severe but he just regenerated from it.
The period where we cannot see the back of his head as he juts back from the shot is very minimal, and within that time that he was shot and walked back it was clear he hadn't fully regenerated as there was still a small amount of blood on his forehead, so it wasn't exactly catastrophic damage.

Again, we are to be comparing this brain damage to decapitation in terms of severity, a substantial amount of the brain should be destroyed before Mid is considered, and here there is no evidence for it.

The small amount of blood on his forehead was just that ,blood, which he wipes off onto a pillar moments later showing the damage was healed.

Getting shot directly in the forehead will cause sever brain damage, the regen page doesn't say that a huge amount of the brain needs to be destroyed for it to matter, if this counts as mid then I don't see why Dante doesn't have it.

Dienomite22 said:
The small amount of blood on his forehead was just that ,blood, which he wipes off onto a pillar moments later showing the damage was healed.

Getting shot directly in the forehead will cause sever brain damage, the regen page doesn't say that a huge amount of the brain needs to be destroyed for it to matter, if this counts as mid then I don't see why Dante doesn't have it.
I cannot even find a page for something from It Follows to even comment on that, plus, that scene doesn't show me anything besides a man dying from a bullet.

Again, hence why I drew the comparison to decapitation as that is the only other potential thing listed, since you can be bisected from the waist and that would only count for Low-Mid.

Severity of the brain damage should depend on near destruction of the brain as it is being made a direct alternative to decapitation which is complete removal of the head, making it more than likely that it has to do with brain stem damage as opposed to the minor damage to the cerebrum he may have suffered.

Also, the fact the blood amount was small could be count as evidence towards the lack of harm it actually did, rather than the regen factor. Like I said, he caught the bullet with his teeth. Enamel makes your teeth one of the strongest bones but if the bullet had such an easy time bypassing his skull there's no reason he should have caught the bullet in that fashion, as the difference in strength isn't that much.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/The_Entity_(It_Follows)

Small amount of blood doesn't necessarily indicate lack of harm to the human brain and I would post public real life evidence to show this but that would probably get me banned.If taking into account bones when it comes to this scene matters then they would've showed the bullet bouncing off of his head instead of them audibly and visually displaying evidence of insertion.

If further clarification is brought up regarding the tier considers this not mid then I will accept it but until then this is mid.

Dienomite22 said:
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/The_Entity_(It_Follows)

Small amount of blood doesn't necessarily indicate lack of harm to the human brain and I would post public evidence to show this but that would probably get me banned.If taking into account bones when it comes to this scene matters then they would've showed the bullet bouncing off instead of it audibly and visually showing evidence of insertion.
Minimal evidence, you hear the sound of it piercing bone and contacting flesh but to what extent is unclear, his head looks rather the same from point of injury and regen which goes to suggest it was nothing major.

Your teeth are stronger, but only to some degree, hence why him being able to catch the bullet falls in line more with his skull preventing any serious damage by stopping most of the impact. Being bisected had more of an impact on Vergil and being stabbed in the chest had a more severe impact on Dante, unlike here where he response to potentially being almost killed supposedly is to mildly berate her then walk away.

Also, the page there did not have any dispute regarding the rating it received, and based on the nature of the being it looks more akin to resurrection rather than regen.

Abstractions said:
Minimal evidence, you hear the sound of it piercing bone and contacting flesh but to what extent is unclear, his head looks rather the same from point of injury and regen which goes to suggest it was nothing major.

Also, the page there did not have any dispute regarding the rating it received, and based on the nature of the being it looks more akin to resurrection rather than regen.
His head looking the same is not an indication of no major damage, you can look up videos of people getting shot in the head to prove that.If Dante getting shot in the head was nothing then he wouldn't have released her and fall back in the first place.Being stabbed and sliced in half is more visually impressive feat of Regenerationn from an developer perspective and both Dante and Vergil were both tired in those respective cases so thats not a point.

I did not say it was nothing, just not as major as you are proposing it is.

I have seen pictures of head shot wounds, some even display the victim with a caved in head as a result of the bullet completely going through the skull and out the back, which again, there's no evidence for here.

"From a developer perspective" them showcasing his durability by catching a bullet with his teeth and that the damage from the previous shot would have been minor.

Dante did not seem too tired in the first instance, and them being tired doesn't dismiss that their demeanor suggests they suffered more from the cuts compared to Dante's head wound.

The point is a headshot at that range would naturally cause major brain damage, the amount of damage you think is required for mid seems to be more than what the definition on here is labled as.

Sure there are graphic and dramatic pictures of various headshots because not all weapons are the same of course but there are also surprisingly clean ones, that's arguably the majority of outcomes involving headshot cases.

No developer is going to think "let's showcase his durability by catching a bullet with his teeth" this argument is ridiculous, him catching the bullet is nothing more than showing his speed which is later one-upped with him directly dodging her gun fire.

"Dante did not seem too tired in the first instance" Which instance is that? If it's either Dante vs Vergil 1,2 and 3 then that is objectively wrong, if it's Dante vs Nero 1 then that is also wrong, or is it the Lady shooting Dante instance?

"them being tired doesn't dismiss that their demeanor suggests they suffered more from the cuts compared to Dante's head wound."Because a head shot isn't as visually impressive or dynamic as getting sliced in half or impaled and Dante wasn't exhausted at all when he was shot.

Again, severe brain damage is being compared to decapitation here, unless the brain had been nearly destroyed (which in this case it wasn't) then I fail to see it meeting the requirement. It's just that simple.

My point with that argument is using "from the developer's perspective" holds doesn't hold weight here as we don't know what they are thinking and thus cannot rely on something so flimsy.

Uhh, he was not tired in this sequence at all, they are clearly fighting with minimal strain post-fight until Dante suffers the stab wound.

Being visually impressive isn't what matters, its the feedback from it. If he had been visibly exhausted from being slashed through or stabbed in the chest it speaks for how effective his regen is. His headshot feat being blown off should speak for the minimal damage it actually caused to him upon impact.

There are even cases where people survive shots to the head, the only part that is necessarily fatal is something that severely damages the stem region (like decapitation) that would qualify more so for Mid.

There is none of that here.

No, its not severe brain damage comparable to decapitation, it's decapitation or severe brain damage which a gunshot to the head will cause, nothing about large parts of the brain needed to be destroyed.The reason it's stated like it is because not all Regenerationn are equal but can be considered around a similar level.

Sure but you are trying to say the scene was showcasing that Dante's bones stopped the bullet by comparing teeth bone to skull bone which is equally ridiculous and harder to believe than it just being a speed feat for Dante.

Here's literal heavy breathing from both Dante and Vergil before the stab ever happens.They were exhausted and as the game progress this is shown more and more.

Dante shrugs off being stabbed and slashed daily it's nothing to him, your pointing out his reactions after fighting all day and is exhausted as the game even points out and taken that as a show of regen when we know that does nothing to him according to DMC3,1, anime,manga,novels,4 and 5 so it's completely natural to assume it's because he's exhausted.

And there are cases for the opposite, being shot point blank in the forehead and right between the eyes from that range is likely to be fatal, like it or not.

"No, its not severe brain damage comparable to decapitation, it's decapitation or severe brain damage which a gunshot to the head will cause, nothing about large parts of the brain needed to be destroyed.The reason it's stated like it is because not all Regenerationn are equal but can be considered around a similar level."

If I addressed this I would be repeating myself.

"Sure but you are trying to say the scene was showcasing that Dante's bones stopped the bullet by comparing teeth bone to skull bone which is equally ridiculous and harder to believe than it just being a speed feat for Dante."

You suggesting it is ridiculous does not change the plausibility of it at all.

Also, heavy breathing does not equate to utter exhaustion, I don't know where you are getting that.

There being cases of the opposite is not a rebuttal, of course people can die from a shot to the head, but that is because of hemorrhaging and excessive bleeding that follows rather than it always be due the brain shutting off from severe trauma, hence why a shot to the head isn't described to instantly kill a person.

She had been dangling from her foot, she did not shoot him at point blank, nor was it even in a spot that would have killed him should he required anything higher than Low-Mid, as a shot to the forehead does not provide the access to the stem as would a bullet to the mouth, which he so unfortunately caught with his teeth.

That's just how it is.

Abstractions said:
You suggesting it is ridiculous does not change the plausibility of it at all.

Also, heavy breathing does not equate to utter exhaustion, I don't know where you are getting that.

There being cases of the opposite is not a rebuttal, of course people can die from a shot to the head, but that is because of hemorrhaging and excessive bleeding that follows rather than it always be due the brain shutting off from severe trauma, hence why a shot to the head isn't described to instantly kill a person.

She had been dangling from her foot, she did not shoot him at point blank, nor was it even in a spot that would have killed him should he required anything higher than Low-Mid, as a shot to the forehead does not provide the access to the stem as would a bullet to the mouth, which he so unfortunately caught with his teeth.

That's just how it is.
I guess that can be left to personal opinion then.

It does when it is pointed out to be a plot point in the story, Dante and Vergil fighting before Vergil 2 is why Arkham could stomp Dante,Vergil and Lady and it's pointed out that if Vergil hadn't been fighting all day he wouldv'e easily dealt with him.

The point is a headshot is fatal and severe even survivors come out with complications, no where in the definition it is required to be through instant death potential, 100% mortality rate or stem to be damage in order for the Regenerationn to be classified as mid.If the definition is further expanded upon for this to be true then I would happily accept it but since that hasn't happened yet I can't.

Arms length away isn't point blank? Then I guess I'll change it to close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back