• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Wait a sec
Why the crap don’t these two have the same speed that’s so weird
They should scale to each other shouldn’t they?

eh ig I’ll equalize speed

The pokemon profiles are sort of all over the place and outdated at the moment.
Their AP should be comparable since they're both fully evolved third-stage pokemon.

I've fixed Aggron's profile now. Instead of complaining about it, either of you could have done it as well...

I've fixed Aggron's profile now. Instead of complaining about it, either of you could have done it as well...
Ive been meaning too, but I recently got very busy- as evident by my lack of bumping my threads, I hope.

Thank you very much, though! I appreciate it.

I did not make or participate in whatever CRT led to the change, nor am I officially a Pokémon supporter or terribly knowledgeable on editing profiles.
Thank you for your effort, though.

Ok, I guess I was a bit harsh. Still, it is annoying when people just accept that profiles are outdated without doing anything to try and fix them, or even asking a more knowledgable member for help with fixing them. If you notice any other outdated profiles and you're not sure how to fix them, please do ask.

For the match itself, Aggron's steel typing gives him a natural advantage, but also makes him very weak to Tyranitar's earthquakes. Tyranitar also probably has a small advantage in raw strength, given it is a psuedo-legendary. It is also more versatile, but its passive sandstorm won't help it here and both have ways of boosting their stats (Aggron can boost its defence and speed, Tyranitar can boost its attack and speed). I'd give Tyranitar the edge here.

Ok, I guess I was a bit harsh. Still, it is annoying when people just accept that profiles are outdated without doing anything to try and fix them, or even asking a more knowledgable member for help with fixing them. If you notice any other outdated profiles and you're not sure how to fix them, please do ask.
Well, I normally I do lobby for clarification, but I knew their AP was nearly equal regardless so it seemed pointless. A lot of other people were talking about Pokémon as a verse in general being scuffed, so I just assumed someone was working on it.
For the match itself, Aggron's steel typing gives him a natural advantage, but also makes him very weak to Tyranitar's earthquakes. Tyranitar also probably has a small advantage in raw strength, given it is a psuedo-legendary. It is also more versatile, but its passive sandstorm won't help it here and both have ways of boosting their stats (Aggron can boost its defence and speed, Tyranitar can boost its attack and speed). I'd give Tyranitar the edge here.
In addition to defense buffs, wouldn't metal burst easily seal the battle for Aggron?

In addition to defense buffs, wouldn't metal burst easily seal the battle for Aggron?
Metal Burst is powerful, but it has some glaring downsides. As shown in the anime, the opponent glows white while 'charging' the move, which would give Tyranitar a free opportunity to either weaken Aggron or boost its own stats. Even if Tyranitar does attack Aggron, the Metal Burst is released in the form of a single, silver ball that Tyranitar would be capable of dodging. And even then, unlike Counter and Mirror Coat, Metal Burst only returns 1.5x the damage dealt so it probably won't be a major factor anyway.

Metal Burst is powerful, but it has some glaring downsides. As shown in the anime, the opponent glows white while 'charging' the move, which would give Tyranitar a free opportunity to either weaken Aggron or boost its own stats. Even if Tyranitar does attack Aggron, the Metal Burst is released in the form of a single, silver ball that Tyranitar would be capable of dodging. And even then, unlike Counter and Mirror Coat, Metal Burst only returns 1.5x the damage dealt so it probably won't be a major factor anyway.
I see. Sorry, this is what I meant by me not being officially a supporter, it's because 99% of my knowledge comes from playing competitively, not watching the anime or reading the lore which makes up a lot of the specifics we use on this site.

Though, I have to say that even 1.5x damage reflections seems massive to me, especially on a super effective hit. I could definitely see it as a unlikely but solid wincon. In the anime, could they ever use it reactively, or do they always have to predict it like in the games?

Also, Tyranitar only does 2x to Mega Aggron which is reduced to 1.5x from filter.
But Aggron can learn body press which would do 4x to Tyranitar, or its steel attacks would still do 2x.

Oh, this is their mega forms? I didn't even notice, that changes things quite a bit actually

Yes. So, I vote Mega Aggron via Filter and Body Press basically.

Alright, so from what I said in my previous message, while Mega Aggron will still be unaffected by Mega TTar's sand stream, it won't receive the passive special defence boost that TTar will. Aggron can take TTar's Earthquakes much better now with Filter and no Rock typing, but in return won't do as much via Metal Burst (which afaik only appears once, during the 4th gen anime). I also don't think that Aggron gets Body Press naturally - he gets Superpower but that reduces his attack and defense every time he uses it, meaning it'd likely be a nuke attack that he can only use once or twice. Also worth mentioning that Mega TTar loses a lot of intelligence compared to base form, relying solely on destructive instincts. Not gonna vote yet, but this is definitely more in Aggron's favour than before.

Alright, so from what I said in my previous message, while Mega Aggron will still be unaffected by Mega TTar's sand stream, it won't receive the passive special defence boost that TTar will. Aggron can take TTar's Earthquakes much better now with Filter and no Rock typing, but in return won't do as much via Metal Burst (which afaik only appears once, during the 4th gen anime). I also don't think that Aggron gets Body Press naturally - he gets Superpower but that reduces his attack and defense every time he uses it, meaning it'd likely be a nuke attack that he can only use once or twice. Also worth mentioning that Mega TTar loses a lot of intelligence compared to base form, relying solely on destructive instincts. Not gonna vote yet, but this is definitely more in Aggron's favour than before.
The Special Defense buff is basically irrelevant here. All his special moves are resisted except dark pulse, but Special attacks aren't Tyranitar's strongsuit to begin with, and Aggron certainly isn't relying on them either.

If he doesn't learn Body Press then that's fine, Superpower should still do way more than enough at 4x. The debuffs don't worry me because Tyranitar would basically be dead after one or two of those.
In addition, it can also learn Reversal which does more as he gets low health, which even gives him a comeback mechanic, but I doubt he'd even need it.
Even if we discounted fighting moves entirely, all of his Steel type moves are getting STAB and Super Effective for 3x damage.

Both the defensive and offensive multipliers basically give Aggron a huge AP advantage here.

Back