• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
This is a different case than in something like Dead Gods, where you're given a pretty exact "this is how things will play out if Orcus wins".
Isn't it stated that even if Orcus was resurrected, nothing would really happen besides his Body disappearing?

Orcus gets brought back eventually regardless of whether the players win or lose (just not at this particular time in this particular story, if they succeed).

I'm talking about if he gets the Wand of Orcus and combines it with the Last Word, removing the power's weakness so that it stops killing him.

I read the module. Its at the tail end of Part V or VI. Basically if the PCs don't teleport the wand Orcus gets it and gets killed later on by a allience of Greater Gods. If he doesn't get the Wan the Last Word eventually kills him.

I don't recall the Greater Gods being able to kill Orcus, again. All it mentions is that they eventually find out how to nullify/counter the Last Word, which allows them to remove its power from Orcus and return him to his former state. The book actually says that after this, he still sticks around and remains a threat; just not one to every Greater God in the multiverse.

"Eventually, a gathering of greater gods will learn the history and nature of the Last Word and devise a means to oppose or nullify its power. Stripped of his stolen magic, Tenebrous will no longer have complete mastery over the multiverse. Sure, the berk'll still be a threat, but he'll no longer be invincible." - Dead Gods, pg 115

Also, I'll post it a bit later, but Volo's Guide to Monsters has some stuff that could affect overall scaling of lower-tier enemies (CR 5+), as well as a few other neat things.

Doesn't the next chapter have Orcus dead no matter what? I'll check again I guess.

> Volo's Guide to Monsters has some stuff that could affect overall scaling of lower-tier enemies

Doesn't that have a disclaimer about information in the intro?

Next chapter assumes you beat him. So never mind. Volo does have a possibly tongue in cheek disclaimer though about the information.

What do you guys think of this? :

"Though Sigil is pseudo-geographically located "at the center of the planes" (where it is positioned atop the infinitely tall Spire), scholars argue that this is impossible since the planes are infinite in all dimensions"

For a while I thought about it, and it seems to contredict things if it's talking about the Plane's width, length and Depth, as a few of them (The Mountains of Celestia for example) are not infinite, so what do you guys think?

Mount Celestia is infinite, its just that there's a ton of portals that simiulate you climbing the thing.

Well, not quite, as it was changed to add additional being like Baphumut:

"In the fourth edition of Dungeons & Dragons, Mount Celestia is known as Celestia, the Radiant Throne. Celestia is the dominion of Bahamut, Kord, Moradin and their exarchs. Instead of a single mountain, Celestia takes the form of a "range of seven mountains that runs about 120 miles and reaches a height of 10 miles and is surrounded by a narrow sea." "

While originally yes, they later changed it, and the part I took from the "Planescape hand guide" is for 5th edition, post the changes to Celestia.

In 4th Edition there's only four/six infinite planes . The material plane, Astral Plane, Elemental Chaos, the Abyss, and possibly the Shadowfell and Feywilds. Every other plane is now finite. In 4e the Sigil is finite, as is the Nine Hells , Hades, and everything else. In 2e Mount Celestia was Infinite like everything else.

Unless you were talking about 3e, where you may have a point. But even there I believe the mountain is infinite in height.

Also, that wording for Sigil is super weird, it's similar wording used for the Far Realm:

"It drifts in the Multiverse unconnected to any other physical reality."

(This one is the far realm)

"a place exists outside of reality"

Lol, I don't mean that, I was just making a comment on Sigil, I honestly doubt it's anywhere near 1-A. Like, even though I'm biased as hell, I don't think Sigil is 1-A

Where's the quote from? Its probably about how the Sigil is a paradox. Being both the center of the multiverse and not the center at the same time.

If the Earth gets destroyed the universe or multiverse will end or something. Also the Sigil is connected to reality

Because the Sigil is located on a spire of infinite height or randomly travels the multiverse depending on the edition.

Well, wouldn't that just be moving? Moving doesn't mean Unconnected from Reality, it just means moving, unconnected from reality is something different.

All of the outer planes in earlier editions are planets or locations in the Astral Sea. The Sigil floats around there to my memory.

Qawsedf234 said:
Doesn't the next chapter have Orcus dead no matter what? I'll check again I guess.
> Volo's Guide to Monsters has some stuff that could affect overall scaling of lower-tier enemies

Doesn't that have a disclaimer about information in the intro?
The next chapter doesn't happen if Orcus succeeds in said chapter. He kills the party instantly, and the adventure is over. It's the "Game Over" scenario for that point in the campaign. The second sentence of the first paragraph in the final chapter even has the qualifier of "Assuming that they survive" for the PCs.

Volo's guide has a tongue-in-cheek disclaimer that essentially amounts to "Don't trust Volo on anything, he's probably trying to kill you". This is obviously a joke, just as the part about Elminster turning the WotC staff into flumphs is.

A slightly more legit disclaimer comes from Elminster himself, who basically just says Volo is wrong on some things, but right on others. However, the book even shows that Elminster isn't always more in the right than Volo is, such as when he brushes off the possibility of spaceships and the Giff, which Volo and Mordenkainen have apparently seen, but he hasn't. But in universe, we know both of these things are real.

The book usually makes it clear when something Volo is saying is based on misinformation by having him be corrected or him saying something along the lines of "I can't really suport this, but...". Volo saying, "If you say the name Raxivort three times while gazing at your reflection in a mirror, xvarts will visit you in the dead of night and steal a cherished trinket" is brushed off in the book as Volo being a superstitious asshole, while something like mention of a "a giant can level a house with its club" is presented as a legitimate thing a giant can do.

This is of course before even acknowledging that much of the book isn't/couldn't have been written by Volo, as it is presented as rules/lore for players and DMs running monsters. Segments written by Volo and Elminster directly are often even specified.

The disclaimer exists in the first place so that DMs don't feel like they have to follow everything in the book, to the letter. WotC does this with quite a few expansions, which are often treated as being written by someone in-universe. That doesn't make much of the information included less believable, unless specifically pointed out to be so (which, rest assured, Elminster does in multiple parts of the book. He's the editor, after all).

Azathoth, what do you think of the Sigil is "disconnected" from reality feat?

Not saying it does, but, it COULD tie into higher D. Lady of Pain?

Yeah when I rechecked the adventure, Part VII was under the basis that the party BFR'ed or damaged the wand rather than Orcus would die in any scenario.

The Volo stuff is agreeable, I just wanted to point it out as a possible disclaimer

I don't really mean travelling to it, after all, you can travel to the Far realm, it just wont end well for you unless your a Psuedo-Natural or a being like the Illithid?

Back