• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cthulhu Mythos: Time to Debunk one of the Greatest Myths in Versus Debating

Status
Not open for further replies.

FanofRPGs

VS Battles
Retired
This is a myth which has perpetuated all across the versus debating community, from Spacebattles to Comicvine to Google+ to everywhere

'' All of existence is part of its dream, and will be destroyed when it truly awakens. This existence includes beings such as Yog-Sothoth
This is a complete mythology. A complete fabrication to what Lovecraft and the whole original circle.

In April 27, 1937, Lovecraft's assorted letter 4.617 gives this family tree. See that Azathoth "predates" Yog-Sothoth and his progenitor? Well, this letter is obviouly a joke first off because Lovecraft is literally part of the tree too, but furthermore he contradicts it with yet another quote.

Has Yog-Sothoth a pedigree? No. He has always existed. Since he has no parents, I've never met 'em. He isn't housebroken, so I generally try to chain him outside. When he sends forth a pseudopodic tentacle (which can pass through the most solid walls) and begins to grope around inside the house, I usually call his attention to something going on in another galaxy——just to get his mind off local things. Yog doesn't always have long, ropy arms, since he assumes a variety of shapes——solid, liquid, and gaseous——at will. Possibly, though, he's fondest of the form which does have 'em. I've never encouraged him to scratch my back, since those whom Yog-Sothoth touches are never seen again...at least, in any recognizable shape.
~ Lovecraft himself​
This is obviously a joke too, but it proves a point that Lovecraft shouldn't be trusted in his letters and will always contradict himself because he had a weird sense of humor. This family tree is also why Shub Niggurath is claimed to be the strongest outer god, but that is a bunch of bull. The Outer Gods are beyond classical hierarchy and trying to use this family tree to claim Shub's status is ridiculous, especially given people then go on to claim that Nya is the weakest outer god out of nowhere.

However, there is one major myth I must dispell. That Azathoth's awakening will destroy all of the cosmology for all of it is a dream. This is taken from an interpretation of Fungi from Yuggoth, but Fungi from Yuggoth is a poem with metaphor inherently riddled through it and the quote itself is vague for even Lovecraft standards. Does it mean Azathoth dreams of the reality he is subsiding in and is shamblingly asleep and babbling like a sedentary sultan, or is he literally dreaming up the whole reality? The first one is more in line with common descriptions of how he is. Furthermore, the notion that when he wakes up, reality is destroyed, is not from him, but a being written by Lord Dunsay called Mana-Yood-Sushai, the creator god of existence:

Before there stood gods upon Olympus, or ever Allah was Allah, had wrought and rested MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI.
~ Gods of Pegana​

And yet it's not even the master of all in its own cosmology:

In the mists before THE BEGINNING, Fate and Chance cast lots to decide whose the Game should be; and he that won strode through the mists to MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI and said: "Now make gods for Me, for I have won the cast and the Game is to be Mine." Who it was that won the cast, and whether it was Fate or whether Chance that went through the mists before THE BEGINNING to MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI—none knoweth
~ Gods of Pegana​
The notion of the world ending by Azathoth's awakening had nothing to do with Lovecraft's Azathoth, but Dunsay's Mana-Yood-Sushai:

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest. Then shall Skarl put his drum upon his back and walk forth into the void beyond the worlds, because it is THE END, and the work of Skarl is over. There may arise some other god whom Skarl may serve, or it may be that he shall perish; but to Skarl it shall matter not, for he shall have done the work of Skarl.
~ Gods of Pegana​
and later on:

Whether the season be winter or whether it be summer, whether it be morning among the worlds or whether it be night, Skarl still beateth his drum, for the purposes of the gods are not yet fulfilled. Sometimes the arm of Skarl grows weary; but still he beateth his drum, that the gods may do the work of the gods, and the worlds go on, for if he cease for an instant then MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI will start awake, and there will be worlds nor gods no more.
~ Gods of Pegana​
And none of this stuff was claimed for Azathoth, but a different character all together. And we don't know why Azathoth was lulled to sleep, rather we do not know based on Lovecraft's works. According to August Derleth, Azathoth was defeated by the combinded forces of the Outer Gods and forced to sleep. The only connection that could be made is that in the Cthulhu RPG game, MANA YOOD SUSHAI is an avatar of Azathoth, but guess what? It's not canon! So... MANA YOOD SUSHAI =/= Azzy.

In fact, if what I hear is true, the notion that Azathoth + wake up = bye bye reality is actually from Demonbane. So if you really want pedobane do dictate the powers of Azathoth, go on with it.

So Lovecraft gives us no real discernable information on Azathoth as to explain his slumber, and using Derleth's fanciful addendums to the Mythos adds characterization contradictory to his position. As such,, there is no proof he is as ineffiably transcendant among his kin as compared to The Creator from Umineko or Gan from The Dark Tower.

I might continue onto why Yog Sothoth is the true supreme being of the Cthulhu Mythos, and how it is supposed to represent the Neoplatonic Subsistence "The One," but here is the main thing.

I agree with this, people should stop parrotting that azzy is the supreme being of the verse and also being the "infinite gates" or "each gate lesser in qualitive difference" should be shut down as well

So Azzy is just a god that had been lulled to sleep and we dont know why? Alrighty then guess I agree with this.

I have been helping out with the Lovecraft revisions via Discord, and I have come to say that I agree with this.

I agree too. Tbh it shows that the analysis for tier 1/0 really need to be better than just few scans, like we do for some verses.

I suppose that this seems to make sense. However, you should ask Azathoth (the bureaucrat) and all of the staff members listed in the Cthulhu Mythos page to comment here.

Mr. Bambu said:
the greatest myth I'm aware of is that there are staff around this place, keeping things tidy. shared illusion, that.
Well, lots of us, including you, are trying hard at least. The content moderator team are also doing a great job with cleanup work.

Antvasima said:
I suppose that this seems to make sense. However, you should ask Azathoth (the bureaucrat) and all of the staff members listed in the Cthulhu Mythos page to comment here.
i mean, I think asking the real Azathoth himself would be more reliable, since he is omniscient

yes and im having fun with it too

EDIT: dammit im an idiot

There is one thing I want to check about all this, actually. It overall looks fine, but one detail just sticks out to me as a bit weird.

So, with the family tree. Let's say we accept that it's nothing but a joke and that it shouldn't be reliable at all. Honestly, that seems fair enough, but it does open up one big question.

Even if it was just another part of the joke, why would he put Azathoth at the top of the hierarchy with no other mention about it? Like, if it's a joke... then there's no punchline here. No reason to put Azathoth up the top unless it actually meant something, even if it had literally nothing to do with power or anything like that at all.

Was there more text to go along with the letter? Like, some kind of description or summary of the "family tree"? That might shed some light on it. I'm not disagreeing with all this in it's current state; I just find that detail really odd. The family tree is not phrased like a joke at all.

I'm not sure how much of that matters since the Mythos are a collective work of the Lovecraft's circle who put Azathoth on the top of its cosmology. Unless you want to discuss Lovecraft!Azathoth as a separate instance compared to Mythos!Lovecrafts. Basically any franchise that draws from Lovecraft draws from the Mythos, not just Lovecraft's published works. That's why you will always see Azathoth being referenced as the top head in every other version of him (Demonbane, GURPS, Call of Cthulhu, etc.)

Ionliosite said:
Also, didn't Lovecraft want to name his mythos "Yog-Sothery" or something like that? That shows pretty clearly he thinks Yog is the central figure of his mythos.
He is central because he has more stories and Carter is linked with it. Not because it's the top head of his cosmology. Just like it got called Ctuhulu Mythos not because the tentacle bearded alien is the strongest being, but because it's the most popular.

Except Lovecraft doesn't put Azathoth on top. All we have is it is the "Lord of All", that one statement a few times but always then carried over that Azathoth is a mindless and dumb creature too. The Family Tree is directly contradicted with another letter putting Yog Sothoth on top, and as for the punchline? Lovecraft was kinda insane his sense of humor is well known for being nonsensical, so there's that.

For comparison we have Yog Sothoth comprising of all and transcending everything at once. Yog Sothoth has far more statements that shows it transcends everything from even the outer void. It's emphasized to hell and back in TtSGaK. Azathoth is just an aspect of Yog-Sothoth and given the constant titles and appellations Lovecraft gives to Yoggy, and knowing Lovecraft was into reading occult and philosophical texts, Yog-Sothoth bears various parallels to the notion of the true platonic god, literally being called "The Ultimate Archeytpe" and the "All in One, One in All"

FanofRPGs said:
The Family Tree is directly contradicted with another letter putting Yog Sothoth on top, and as for the punchline?
To play a bit of devil's advocate, why are we disregarding some letter statements due to Lovecraft's nonseriousness and inconsistency but using other letter statements as evidence of contradiction here?

The problem isn't necessarily just with the letters themselves, but with how Lovecraft's family tree isn't really supported by anything in Lovecraft's writings and doesn't exactly many any sense when referring to entities who are explicitly devoid of causality or origin. Azathoth's descriptions often allude to him as being just a king or a figurehead sitting on an hexagonal throne in the center of the Ultimate Void, and Nyarlathotep even directly interacts with him at one point by punching him in the head. Nothing hints at him being on another level of existence altogether from the rest of the Outer Gods, and the evidence that he is dreaming them into being is likewise nonexistent.

Meanwhile, Yog is moreso defined as an all-pervading presence that is fairly explicitly chief amongst the people of the Ultimate Void, and is even called "The Supreme Archetype" himself, which indicates his superiority over them in a pretty blatant way. The fact Carter was still as equidistant from Yog (his Archetype) as were all other things even when he found himself floating in the Ultimate Void (where Azathoth resides) is also fairly clear evidence that he is not on the same level as the other Archetypes.

The letters are just being used as supporting evidence showing that Lovecraft's word can't exactly be taken seriously most of the time, especially with his weird sense of humour and tendency to contradict himself. Notice how he includes himself in the Family Tree he devised, which was even sent in a letter of his that was pretty much just mocking some guy who apparently thought himself to be the offspring of Zeus.

Blueicemonkey said:
FanofRPGs said:
Except Lovecraft doesn't put Azathoth on top.
But as I said that's irrelevant because the Mythos aren't just Lovecraft's works.
nothing u have said debunks anything that puts azathoth above yog, when the evidence is against your premise, and what ultima said is already specific enough for yog to be above azzy. Unless u have counter arguments to say azzy is superior and is the supreme being like how Yog has been portrayed then feel free to give us a passage texts

Also, I might add that while we are expanding our horizons with the Cthulhu Mythos to include Lovecraft's close friends' contributions (sans August Derleth), I have yet to see evidence from their stuff (textual or otherwise) that supports the "Azzy > Yog" belief that everyone's been holding on to for years now.

If anyone has stuff from the Lovecraft Circle that would truly put Azathoth at the top of the food chain, please speak up. Otherwise, Azathoth's reign is about to come to an end...

Blueicemonkey said:
FanofRPGs said:
Except Lovecraft doesn't put Azathoth on top.
But as I said that's irrelevant because the Mythos aren't just Lovecraft's works.
The only other part of the original circle who really wrote about Azathoth was Derleth, who as I noted had the Outer Gods defeat him.

CAS dealt with Hyperborea with only Ubbo Sathla, which is vague and inconsistent and earthly in scope, mentioning Yoggy

Long mentions them in Dark Awakening, will need to read it

Bloch dealt more with Nyarlathotep then Azzy or Yoggy

Howard dealt with Kull, Conan, and Hyperborea

Antvasima said:
Well, given how widespread the belief that Azathoth > Yog-Sothoth is, we would need an official Cthulhu Mythos cosmology page to explain why we don't hold the same view anymore.
That will be obvious

Also the widespread belief is mostly in the versus debating realm. It's more split outside of it but who knows how much of that is influenced by the debating community. An official page with an explanation will be suitable. I will write a more formal version.

So I am rereading the thing on neoplatonism, and Yog-Sothoth fills out all things for "The One" except that Yoggy is "sentient," unlike The One which is mindless. However, everything else is almost identitcal, but that one thing is a blow. Azathoth definitely fits more of a demiurge role, from what I am reading it's even similar to the Gnostic version but IDK, need to read more.

Itzmrbonezone said:
I have mixed thoughts on that.
How would this even effect other Outer Gods?
there will be no hierarchy for any outer god sans Yoggy/Azathoth; Yog Sothoth > Azathoth ?>? Shub ~ Nya ~ Ultimate Gods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back