• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Common Editing Mistakes Additions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Thank you for helping out. It is very appreciated. I think that our conclusions here can be applied then.

However, what should we do about point #7? It does not have as clear a consensus as the others. Should we use a compromise solution of strkngly strongly encouraging no collapse, but not outright forbidding it?

7's main split seems to be on whether collapses should be allowed with extremely lengthy speed sections.

Okay, perhaps we should use that solution instead then.

Would you be willing to properly apply this revision, preferably with cropped example screencapture images included where it is apropriate?

I'd still struggle to write it, but since it seems like no-one else will do it, my attempt would be better than nothing.

Yes, definitely, and you can create a draft sandbox page first if you wish.

Would you be willing to properly apply this revision, preferably with cropped example screencapture images included where it is apropriate?
I'd still struggle to write it, but since it seems like no-one else will do it, my attempt would be better than nothing.
Yes, definitely, and you can create a draft sandbox page first if you wish.
@Shadowbokunohero @Crazylatin77 @Jvando @Zaratthustra @ElixirBlue @Tllmbrg @Nehz_XZX @Dereck03

Would any of you be willing to help Agnaa with this please?

Every agreed-upon standard listed in this post (even the stuff still listed as "more discussion needed") needs to be re-formatted into instruction text for our Common Editing Mistakes page, with corresponding screenshots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every agreed-upon standard listed in this post (even the stuff still listed as "more discussion needed") needs to be re-formatted into instruction text for our Common Editing Mistakes page, with corresponding screenshots.
@SomebodyData @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Andytrenom @Mr._Bambu @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Damage3245 @Shadowbokunohero @Crazylatin77 @Jvando @Zaratthustra @ElixirBlue @Tllmbrg @Nehz_XZX @Dereck03

Would any of you be willing to help out with handling this please?

Sorry but this time I can't help. I'm not good at making instructions, I think I've said it many times, and also tried to make the screenshots but doesn't compare to the already existing. I'd rather to focus in other task as im useless in this one.

Okay. No problem. Thank you for helping out so much with other tasks.

It's also late in my area, I know I have been good at coming up with instructions some days, but not atm.

Okay. No problem, but we really need to get this done, so if somebody is able to help out here, please mention it.

Most users don’t have the discipline and patience to do this kind of formatting things… I already do all these formatting things on profiles pretty much tho…

Well, the problem is that we really need to get this task done.

I'll try to give this another look later tonight and see what I can whip up, based on how the common editing mistakes page is currently formatted.

I have a question here that has been bothering me for a while, and that is the use of "higher", "far higher", and "even higher" when it comes to order.

I know that "higher" comes first, but due to the recent changes in many profiles made by the mods, I've been starting to question whether after that, comes "even higher" or "far higher".

I have always used "far higher" after "higher", but now I am seeing a trend of using "even higher", so I just want to know what is correct.

I haven't seen "even higher" used before.

I can see its utility, but I think it'd also be fine to just use strings of "higher"s, or something like "higher with X (Becomes faster), Y (Becomes even faster than X), and Z (Becomes even faster than Y)".

I think that's something worth getting input on, but I'm leaning towards no "even higher". Sometimes strings of boosts could be longer than 2-3 items, in which case we shouldn't just keep adding more and more adjectives.

I think that we officially only have "higher" and "far higher", and personally think that the latter should only be used if it really likely is at least a few tiers higher.

I haven't seen "even higher" used before.

I can see its utility, but I think it'd also be fine to just use strings of "higher"s, or something like "higher with X (Becomes faster), Y (Becomes even faster than X), and Z (Becomes even faster than Y)".

I think that's something worth getting input on, but I'm leaning towards no "even higher". Sometimes strings of boosts could be longer than 2-3 items, in which case we shouldn't just keep adding more and more adjectives.
Thanks.

@KingTempest16 You should stop replacing "far higher" with "even higher" and vice versa in the One Piece profiles, they were already fine.

I may give a brief look
But
1. Do not expect me to really voice out anything unless it is very horrible
2. As "the common editing mistakes page" is currently formatted, I cannot really correct anything.
3. I would recommend that, once this page is fixed and checked, be very, very patient in applying the changes.

I've got a lot of projects on my plate right now, so I'll just be contributing to this slowly.

This one would go under Capitalisation
  • Range ratings should be capitalized as shown on that page.
sLaFFgQ.png

This one would go under Bolding/Spacing
  • Where statistics are made bold, punctuation should not be made bold.
hHracp3.png

For one thing, "even higher" isn't officially listed terminology, and we've been trying to weed out other terminology.

For why not to add it, it only partially solves a minor use-case. It's useful if there's two or three different techniques/weapons that are "higher", but doesn't resolve the issue as soon as there's any more that are higher.

A more general solution for that issue would be either to use "higher" multiple times, or to just use "higher" once, and describe the techniques/weapons individually:

Attack Potency: Small Building level physically, higher with Shiggy Boost (Made him many times stronger, enough to turn the fight he was losing against Timmy into a stomp), Bigger Boost (Made him even stronger than before, able to make Sarah bleed after causing no damage to her with only the Shiggy Boost), A Giant Pair of Scissors (Able to cut Sarah cleanly in half with little effort), and Big Bomba (Could incinerate Threadbear Armour which was able to withstand A Giant Pair of Scissors)

A few inconsistencies I've noticed, to give some examples and start some discussion:
  1. Which parts of the page should be ended by full-stops, and under what circumstances?
  2. When and how should terms like "at least", "likely", "possibly", and "higher" be capitalised?
  3. When should statistics sections, particularly the tier, use commas or full-stops for separating ratings?
  4. What letters in range ratings should be capitalised and when?
  5. Should pages be standardised to American English, British English, or neither?
I wanna give my opinion on each of these questions so here goes:

1. You mean like, periods? Frankly, I think there's rarely a case, if at all, where full-stops like periods should be used. I think commas get the job done pretty well (i.e. "High 6-A, higher with FDKM" on Natsu's page is much better than "High 6-A. Higher with FDKM")
  2. These should only be capitalized at the start of a new key whenever it's called for (i.e "At least 6-A, possibly higher"). Higher should rarely ever be capitalized, with the only time it should be being in those rare cases where a period is appropriate to use (see my answer to question 1). Also pretty relevant, I really don't like capitalizing "at least" after a comma. Keep it all lowercase if it's after a comma (i.e. "FTL, at least FTL+ with Time Acceleration", not "FTL, At least FTL+ with Time Acceleration" [This is not an actual rating on a wiki page to my knowledge])
  3. Going off of #1, commas should be used 99% of the time, if not 100%. There are some rare cases where full-stops may be better to use, but I can't really think of any off the top of my head
  4. The first letters of the range ratings, along with any notable capitalized techniques, should be capitalized (i.e. "Hundreds of Kilometers with Chrono Anastasis")
  5. Being American myself, I'm obviously more inclined to say American English, but I feel there aren't so many differences between American English and British English to warrant making either one a standard.

I wanna give my opinion on each of these questions so here goes:

1. You mean like, periods? Frankly, I think there's rarely a case, if at all, where full-stops like periods should be used. I think commas get the job done pretty well (i.e. "High 6-A, higher with FDKM" on Natsu's page is much better than "High 6-A. Higher with FDKM")
  2. These should only be capitalized at the start of a new key whenever it's called for (i.e "At least 6-A, possibly higher"). Higher should rarely ever be capitalized, with the only time it should be being in those rare cases where a period is appropriate to use (see my answer to question 1). Also pretty relevant, I really don't like capitalizing "at least" after a comma. Keep it all lowercase if it's after a comma (i.e. "FTL, at least FTL+ with Time Acceleration", not "FTL, At least FTL+ with Time Acceleration" [This is not an actual rating on a wiki page to my knowledge])
  3. Going off of #1, commas should be used 99% of the time, if not 100%. There are some rare cases where full-stops may be better to use, but I can't really think of any off the top of my head
  4. The first letters of the range ratings, along with any notable capitalized techniques, should be capitalized (i.e. "Hundreds of Kilometers with Chrono Anastasis")
  5. Being American myself, I'm obviously more inclined to say American English, but I feel there aren't so many differences between American English and British English to warrant making either one a standard.
I am in agreeance with everything said here

But TBH I don't think it needs to be that strict or demanding

I've got a lot of projects on my plate right now, so I'll just be contributing to this slowly.

This one would go under Capitalisation
  • Range ratings should be capitalized as shown on that page.
sLaFFgQ.png

This one would go under Bolding/Spacing
  • Where statistics are made bold, punctuation should not be made bold.
hHracp3.png
Thank you, but as far as I am aware, we strictly use {{9-A}}-style tier templates in our wiki nowadays. Perhaps "At least '''Small Building level,''' possibly '''higher''' is considered invalid" would work instead though?

For one thing, "even higher" isn't officially listed terminology, and we've been trying to weed out other terminology.

For why not to add it, it only partially solves a minor use-case. It's useful if there's two or three different techniques/weapons that are "higher", but doesn't resolve the issue as soon as there's any more that are higher.

A more general solution for that issue would be either to use "higher" multiple times, or to just use "higher" once, and describe the techniques/weapons individually:
I can see where you're coming from, but I feel "even higher" has enough use cases to be viable for usage. I honestly much prefer potentially having a chain of, say, "5-A, higher with Attack Boost, even higher with Sharp Attack Boost, far higher with Drastic Attack Boost, even higher with Max Attack Boost" (yes I used Pokemon terminology because I'm an absolute Pokemon nerd) than a chain of "higher" ratings. I feel more positively toward the latter suggestion though, as I've seen that used before to pretty good success. Not enough for me to want to do away with "even higher" though

I personally do not mind "even higher", but we would need to add it to our official instructions in a proper manner.

Thank you, but as far as I am aware, we strictly use {{9-A}}-style tier templates in our wiki nowadays. Perhaps "At least '''Small Building level,''' possibly '''higher''' is considered invalid" would work instead though?
Ahh right. Fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back