• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Page Names (Semantics)

Catzlaflame

Ephemeral Thoughts
He/Him
VS Battles
Content Moderator

Introduction

Legendary Russian linguist, Roman Jackobson, once said: Semantics, or the study of meaning, remained undeveloped, while phonetics made rapid progress and even came to occupy the central place in the scientific study of language.

(I have no idea who the hell that is, but cool quote about semantics = Smart OP = good)

Obective

A couple profiles on this wiki have names that are considered atypical. By "atypical" I mean they contain characters that are not on a conventional keyboard (or at least characters that the layman wouldn't be expected to find on a keyboard). For example, look at the name of this page or an older rendition of this page (before it was requested to be renamed for the same reason I am going to soon describe). In both instances, the "ý" and the "ö" are seemingly "atypical" characters. This is undesirable for a couple reasons, but PRIMARILY because it will affect how easy it is to search for these sorta pages.

Solution

Honestly, not that big of an issue, but I think we should advise users not to create pages like this moving forward. "Mjölnir (MCU)" doesn't have to be spelled like that, it can just be spelled "Mjolnir" similar to its comic counterpart.

On our editing rules page we have a section dedicated to Page Names.

Currently the text is:
  • Don't add (verse) if the name of the verse is unambiguous on its own. Use the verse name as is.
  • If there is a character sharing the exact name of the verse, add "(Verse)" as a suffix to the verse name.
  • If the verse has multiple continuities, use the names of the continuities directly in the page name.
  • If the verse name is shared among different continuities, add the name of the continuity in brackets after the shared name to clarify.
  • If a character appears in multiple continuities, add a keyword in brackets after the character's name to signify which continuity it belongs to.
  • If the character also has different versions within the same continuity (e.g., due to different time periods), include a keyword that specifies the version in the same bracket used for continuity identification.

I would like to make the following addition:

• Don't add (verse) if the name of the verse is unambiguous on its own. Use the verse name as is.
  • If there is a character sharing the exact name of the verse, add "(Verse)" as a suffix to the verse name.
  • If the verse has multiple continuities, use the names of the continuities directly in the page name.
  • If the verse name is shared among different continuities, add the name of the continuity in brackets after the shared name to clarify.
  • If a character appears in multiple continuities, add a keyword in brackets after the character's name to signify which continuity it belongs to.
  • If the character also has different versions within the same continuity (e.g., due to different time periods), include a keyword that specifies the version in the same bracket used for continuity identification.
  • Avoid incoporating atypical characters into page names where it is possible (ex ö, ý)

Elaborating on the rule to say "and instead use an appropriate typical character in its place (ex o, y)". Good idea overall, MORK BORG is my own page and I'm still annoyed when I go to look it up.

I think that we should name the characters and items what they are actually called, especially as they show the correct pronounciation. For example, "Mjölnir" (or "Mjölner" in proper Swedish) is not pronounced the same way as "Mjolnir". It uses a different vowel.

Rather, we can solve the problem by creating new redirect link pages in our wiki, such as a new page called "Mjolnir (MCU)" which only contains a redirect link to our "Mjölnir (MCU)" page. That way our members and visitors can easily find those pages without problems through our wiki's search function.

That would also work, yeah.

Redirects work in place of that. Most site visitors probably won't have a keyboard that can type "é", at least not easily, but Pokémon is still the first result by searching "Pokemon" because of redirects. In other words, I agree with Ant.

I think that we should name the characters and items what they are actually called, especially as they show the correct pronounciation. For example, "Mjölnir" (or "Mjölner" in proper Swedish) is not pronounced the same way as "Mjolnir". It uses a different vowel.

Rather, we can solve the problem by creating new redirect link pages in our wiki, such as a new page called "Mjolnir (MCU)" which only contains a redirect link to our "Mjölnir (MCU)" page. That way our members and visitors can easily find those pages without problems through our wiki's search function.
@Catzlaflame @LordGriffin1000

My apologies for the delay, had a lot of work as of late; I believe this would be suitable:

• If an article's name contains atypical characters (e.g., ö, ý) ensure that you create a corresponding redirect page that has a name which is compatible with a conventional keyboard.

Back