• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding the Common Editing Mistakes Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catzlaflame

Ephemeral Thoughts
He/Him
VS Battles
Content Moderator

Introduction:

This thread will attempt to improve the Common Editing Mistakes page based on a variety of factors. The stuff I describe in the "Content Changes" is then implemented in the new draft which you will find at the end of this thread.

Content Changes:

The longer a page is, the less likely people are to read it. If information is not pertinent to a page's purpose, it only serves to discourage users who actually read the page. With that in mind, I deleted, merged, and reorganized some stuff for the new rendition.

The most significant outright deletion/removal was probably the removal of: "Do not use «Class» when it comes to the Striking Strength section. Instead, use «level» just like in the Attack Potency, and Durability sections."
Besides that, most of my other deletions were due to blatant redundancy which, again, only serves to impair page readability.

Moreover, remaining true to the theme of "How do we make it easier for users to actually read the page:" I re-did the overall page aesthetic. I dislike the images we use to show what's "Invalid" and what's "Valid." By images I'm referring to the white background images here.

These images are bad because:

• Reason #1: Due to the black/white contrast being consistently used across the entire page, its borderline impossible to see the words "Valid" and "Invalid." Making it hard for someone to distingush between what we are saying is correct, and what we are saying is incorrect.
  • Reason #2: The different font sizes and image sizes make it visually displeasing
  • Reason #3: Everytime we make an addition, the image someone adds is very clearly different from the others, which, just doesn't look nice. Here for example.

Proposal​

I did make some edits I didn't describe above, but relatively minor stuff. Anyway, here is my new rendition:

HERE

Thank you for your time.

The longer a page is, the less likely people are to read it. If information is not pertinent to a page's purpose, it only serves to discourage users who actually read the page. With that in mind, I deleted, merged, and reorganized some stuff for the new rendition.
This is true. Shorter pages are better where possible. Barring my pages for characters, as nobody will read them anyways and thus I should be afforded the ability to gush over them.

The most significant outright deletion/removal was probably the removal of: "Do not use «Class» when it comes to the Striking Strength section. Instead, use «level» just like in the Attack Potency, and Durability sections."

Seems fair. That notice was important for a time, but now that the standard is long-implemented, it seems fine to consider it common knowledge, at least enough to remove that note.

These images are bad because:

• Reason #1: Due to the black/white contrast being consistently used across the entire page, its borderline impossible to see the words "Valid" and "Invalid." Making it hard for someone to distingush between what we are saying is correct, and what we are saying is incorrect.
  • Reason #2: The different font sizes and image sizes make it visually displeasing
  • Reason #3: Everytime we make an addition, the image someone adds is very clearly different from the others, which, just doesn't look nice. Here for example.
I don't have much trouble seeing the words, I don't really understand that bit. I do agree that they aren't nice to look at.

I broadly agree with the overall changes. I'd like some visual representation of Reason 1 for removing the images, even though I think it's still fine to remove them given your changes to the page- they're very nice, the colored text pops out more.

I cleaned up your draft somewhat:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U...akes?type=revision&diff=8355353&oldid=8354933

Also, it would be good if you also include an instruction regarding how to properly use bolded text in powers and abilities sections.

'''[[Superhuman Physical Characteristics]]''' is valid.

[[Superhuman Physical Characteristics|'''Superhuman Physical Characteristics''']] is invalid.

Except for that it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back