• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Common Editing Mistakes Additions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll keep it relatively high on my list of priorities.

Thank you.

Everybody who are helping out here, please keep us updated regarding your progresses.

Bump.

I would still greatly appreciate help with finishing this revision.

Sorry but this time I can't help. I'm not good at making instructions, I think I've said it many times, and also tried to make the screenshots but doesn't compare to the already existing. I'd rather to focus in other task as im useless in this one.

Not sure if this is something that would generally need my help TBH. Anyone with strong enough English grammatical skills should be able to help out here.

What's the current topic at hand? Been a while since I last saw the bumped though I have been following.

Well, I think that Agnaa was going to apply what has been decided here and create image illustrations for the new instructions in the same style as the one we have used in the instruction page in question previously, but he has been missing for over half a month now.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The conclusion that Agnaa has put out is located here.
The results of everyone's preferences below can be found here.
The confirmed progress so far that he made was the range capitalisation, and the bolding/spacing aspect of the statistics, which is located here.

So far these are the conclusions + preferences of others (since they were separated, I combined them):
1. Full-stops should only be used after full sentences, unless that sentence is ended with a parenthesis/bracket.
  • The second half has only been realized and applied, and the first part has not.
2. Terms such as "at least", "likely", "possibly", and "higher" should only be capitalised when after a full-stop or colon. This includes when they are part of the P&A sections.
  • Already applied.
3. Full-stops should never be used in statistics sections outside of parentheses. If commas create ambiguity, use a semicolon instead. The only exception would be if there is a full sentence within that statistic.
  • Not yet applied.
  • Result: Most people preferred finishing full sentences only.
4. Range ratings should be capitalised as they are on the Range page.
  • Prepared by Agnaa, but I don't know if it is already applied
  • Result: Unanimously agreed upon by everyone. In addition, most agreed that non-standard range ratings should be capitalised using the same practice.
5. If an ability has a type and justification given, they should be separated by a semicolon.
  • Result: Most people preferred semicolons, only a few agreed on both (I would include myself there)
6. Reference tags should be placed after other bits of grammar, such as periods, commas, and parentheses.
  • Result: Most preferred references after punctuation.
7. If a character has a rating for their ordinary physical strikes, without magic, empowerment, and the like, as well as other ratings, that first rating should be written as "{{Tier}} physically", not as "{{Tier}} normally" or just "{{Tier}}".
  • Decided, but I don't know if it is already applied.
8. Speed types should be listed fully, i.e. "reaction speed" not "reactions".
8.1. Should we allow speed ratings to be collapsed under a "normally", or should we require them to be explicitly listed? For example, "Athletic Human normally, Subsonic reaction speed" or "Athletic Human travel, combat, and attack speed, Subsonic reaction speed".
  • Not yet applied.
  • Result: Most people preferred no collapse.
8.2. If there are multiple speed ratings, should later ones (or even just the last one) be prepended with the word "with"? For example, "Athletic Human normally, with Subsonic reaction speed" or "Athletic Human normally, Subsonic reaction speed".
  • Not yet applied.
  • Result: Most people preferred either.
9. Where statistic ratings are bolded, punctuation should not be bolded. For example, At least '''9-A''', possibly '''higher''' is correct. While At least '''9-A,''' possibly '''higher''' is not.
  • Decided. Prepared by Agnaa, but I don't know if it is already applied
10. Modifiers attached to powers and abilities with a dash should be capitalised. Pseudo-[[Flight]] is correct, pseudo-[[Flight]] is not.
  • Decided, but probably not yet applied.

Does this mean that every number that is not 5 and 6, can already be prepared and written into a proper format so that they can be applied to the page? Similar to what Agnaa has done in 4 and 9? Am I wrong? If I am wrong, please correct me, so I can be sure that I really am on the same page with everyone in this discussion, and then I can maybe start making progress.

Do we still need to have more discussions regarding numbers 1-10, aside from the already applied parts of the discussion? Or is it already okay to start working on stuff?

Last edited:
Since this is all going to the Common Editing Mistake page, would this also mean that the option that the majority chose would be the rule, and the other options that weren't chosen would be considered an editing mistake? If that isn't the case, and people want this to be optional, what should be done instead?

Also, I would appreciate it if I can get any confirmation for what I've written above.

Since this is all going to the Common Editing Mistake page, would this also mean that the option that the majority chose would be the rule, and the other options that weren't chosen would be considered an editing mistake? If that isn't the case, and people want this to be optional, what should be done instead?

Also, I would appreciate it if I can get any confirmation for what I've written above.
By the way. What I write can change, depending on what the answer is for the text I quoted above, especially on what is considered valid or invalid in the page.

Before I make these in text editors, I just want to make sure what I am doing is correct.

1. Full-stops should only be used after full sentences, unless that sentence is ended with a parenthesis/bracket.
  • I am not sure how to write this at the moment.

2. Already applied, I think.

3. Full-stops should never be used in statistics sections outside of parentheses. If commas create ambiguity, use a semicolon instead. The only exception would be if there is a full sentence within that statistic.
Sample:
  • Never use full-stops in statistics sections outside of parentheses. Use a semicolon if commas create ambiguity. Having a full sentence within that statistic would be the only exception.
    • {{9-C}} physically, {{9-B}} with magic, {{9-A}} with a weapon; {{9-A}}, possibly '''higher''' with transformation is considered valid
    • {{9-C}} physically, {{9-B}} with magic, {{9-A}} with a weapon. {{9-A}}, possibly '''higher''' with transformation is considered invalid

4. Range ratings should be capitalised as they are on the Range page.
Sample:
  • Capitalise range ratings as they are on the Range page.
    • Standard melee range physically, tens of meters with magic is considered invalid
    • Standard Melee Range physically, Tens of Meters with magic is considered valid
    • Standard Melee Range physically, Tens of meters with magic is considered invalid

5. If an ability has a type and justification given, it should be separated by a semicolon.
Sample:
  • A semicolon should be used to separate the ability type, and the corresponding justification.
    • Immortality (Type 1; Justification) is valid
    • Immortality (Type 1. Justification) is invalid
6. Reference tags should be placed after other bits of grammar, such as periods, commas, and parentheses.
Sample:
  • Only place reference tags after punctuations.
    • Sentence.<ref></ref> is valid
    • Sentence,<ref></ref> is valid
    • (Sentence)<ref></ref> is valid
    • Sentence<ref></ref>. is invalid
7. If a character has a rating for their ordinary physical strikes, without magic, empowerment, and the like, as well as other ratings, that first rating should be written as "{{Tier}} physically", not as "{{Tier}} normally" or just "{{Tier}}"
Sample:
  • If a character has a rating for basic physical strikes, without any enhancements and the like, then that should be specified and written first.
    • {{Tier}} physically is valid
    • {{Tier}} normally is invalid
    • {{Tier}} is invalid
8.1. Speed types should be listed fully, i.e. "reaction speed" not "reactions".
Sample:
  • Speed types should be listed completely.
    • Subsonic reactions is invalid
    • Subsonic reaction speed is valid
8.2. Speed ratings, when to collapse.
Sample:
  • Unless the file has a large number of keys and ratings, speed ratings should be explicitly listed.
    • '''Athletic Human''' normally, '''Subsonic''' reaction speed is invalid
    • '''Athletic Human''' travel, combat, and attack speed, '''Subsonic''' reaction speed.

9. Where statistic ratings are bolded, punctuation should not be bolded. For example, At least '''9-A''', possibly '''higher''' is correct. While At least '''9-A,''' possibly '''higher''' is not.
Sample:
  • Punctuation should not be bolded in statistic ratings.
    • At least '''Small Building level''', possibly '''higher''' is valid
    • At least '''Small Building level,''' possibly '''higher''' is invalid
10. Modifiers attached to powers and abilities with a dash should be capitalised.
Sample:
  • Capitalise the modifiers attached to powers and abilities.
    • Pseudo-[[Flight]] is valid
    • pseudo-[[Flight]] is invalid

Can someone fact-check if what I wrote conformed to the agreement made in this discussion?

Is nobody here willing and able to help us finish this important revision?

Will do. But I'll have to wait until Nalgae is gone because this storm sucks. And it's pretty annoying to make progress and then have it all gone because of frequent yet short power outages.

No problem at all. Please take your time. The important thing is that this gets done eventually.

By the way. What I write can change, depending on what the answer is for the text I quoted above, especially on what is considered valid or invalid in the page.

Before I make these in text editors, I just want to make sure what I am doing is correct.

• I am not sure how to write this at the moment.
Hello guys, regarding the draft that I made. By any chance, do you guys have any concrete examples for the one I quoted? I am in desperate need for one, since I'll be using it for the example image for #1.

While we're at it, I need inputs and evaluations to find any mistakes I could have made. And also, we have to decide in what section of the Common Editing Mistakes those new editing mistakes should fall under.

If you list all of the members who helped out in this thread earlier, either of us can send a notification message to them which asks them to comment to your request.

If you list all of the members who helped out in this thread earlier, either of us can send a notification message to them which asks them to comment to your request.
Okay, I see. I'll just hope this doesn't piss off someone.

The voting participants:
@DontTalkDT @Sir_Ovens @Agnaa @ByAsura @Abstractions @AKM sama @DarkDragonMedeus @SamanPatou @LordGriffin1000 @GyroNutz @Jasonsith

Who messaged but wasn't listed in the vote list:
@DemonGodMitchAubin @CloverDragon03 @Therefir @Hop_Hoppington-Hoppenhiemer

I tried to exclude all the members (that I saw) who explicitly mentioned that they couldn't or didn't want to participate in this thread. I apologize if you didn't want to participate in the thread and still got mentioned somehow.

Hello guys, regarding the draft that I made. By any chance, do you guys have any concrete examples for the one I quoted? I am in desperate need for one, since I'll be using it for the example image for #1.

While we're at it, I need inputs and evaluations to find any mistakes I could have made. And also, we have to decide in what section of the Common Editing Mistakes those new editing mistakes should fall under.
The conclusion of this whole thread has been jam-packed in the quoted message, so no need for reading this whole thread just to catch up. Also, please give input + a concrete example for #1 as I've said in the quoted text.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

The conclusion of this whole thread has been jam-packed in the quoted message, so no need for reading this whole thread just to catch up. Also, please give input + a concrete example for #1 as I've said in the quoted text.

Thank you in advance.
@DontTalkDT @Sir_Ovens @Agnaa @ByAsura @Abstractions @AKM sama @DarkDragonMedeus @SamanPatou @LordGriffin1000 @GyroNutz @Jasonsith @DemonGodMitchAubin @CloverDragon03 @Therefir @SomebodyData @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Andytrenom @Ultima_Reality @Mr._Bambu @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Colonel_Krukov @Shadowbokunohero @Crazylatin77 @Jvando @Zaratthustra @ElixirBlue @Tllmbrg @Nehz_XZX @Dereck03

Would any of you be willing to help us get the progression of this thread properly organised again please?

Actually, I may have found one just now on Rimuru Tempest's Web Novel profile:

"At least 6-A, 3-A with the summoning of Veldora Tempest, Varies from 3-A to Low 2-C with Gluttonous King Beelzebub"

Is "3-A with the summoning of Veldora Tempest" a full sentence here? If so, then it would need to be "At least 6-A, 3-A with the summoning of Veldora Tempest. Varies from 3-A to Low 2-C with Gluttonous King Beelzebub"

"At least 6-A, 3-A with the summoning of Veldora Tempest, Varies from 3-A to Low 2-C with Gluttonous King Beelzebub"

Is "3-A with the summoning of Veldora Tempest" a full sentence here? If so, then it would need to be "At least 6-A, 3-A with the summoning of Veldora Tempest. Varies from 3-A to Low 2-C with Gluttonous King Beelzebub"
I think a semicolon is more appropriate in that situation instead of a full stop, as Agnaa said here. To specify, a semicolon should only be used to separate statistics, and full stops should only be used to end a sentence. That is a good example of a semicolon usage though, I'll consider using that.

I made a critical oversight by not specifying further. I am specifically looking for a high-quality page (regardless of byte size) that has a section where there is a full sentence (as a justification or something similar) outside of brackets/parentheses somehow. Though, preferably the sentence(s) shouldn't be too large either.

Thanks for helping, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I think a semicolon is more appropriate in that situation instead of a full stop, as Agnaa said here. To specify, a semicolon should only be used to separate statistics, and full stops should only be used to end a sentence. That is a good example of a semicolon usage though, I'll consider using that.

I made a critical oversight by not specifying further. I am specifically looking for a high-quality page (regardless of byte size) that has a section where there is a full sentence outside of brackets/parentheses somehow. Though, preferably the sentence(s) shouldn't be too large either.

Thanks for helping, I appreciate it.
@Sir_Ovens @ByAsura @Abstractions @AKM sama @DarkDragonMedeus @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Jasonsith @DemonGodMitchAubin @Therefir @SomebodyData @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Andytrenom @Mr._Bambu @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Colonel_Krukov @Shadowbokunohero @Crazylatin77 @Jvando @Zaratthustra @ElixirBlue @Tllmbrg @Nehz_XZX @Dereck03

Would any of you be willing to help out here please?

X792 Natsu Dragneel is such a profile, with some examples being:

Planet level+ with Igneel's Power (Borrows a part of Igneel's Magic Power. Fought and overpowered Base Zeref)

higher with SDFF (Far stronger than all his previous forms due to his flames of emotion breaking their limits. Overpowered and defeated Fairy Heart Form Zeref. Traded blows with Post-SBT Human Form Acnologia)

far higher with SFDM (At least 4x stronger than his Savage Dragon Fire Form due to combining the form with Dragon Force and the power of six other Dragon Slayers. His Seven Fire Dragon's King Fist one-shot Post-SBT Human Form Acnologia)

Thank you both for helping out here, as we really need it.

What about the use of full stops, comas and colons here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back