• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
@Sera Ex

Agreed. People are trying so hard to push an agenda that they forget that good storytelling can "push" one without trying. Case in point, Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman is everything this movie is trying to be only it did so without pushing such an obvious political agenda and it didn't have an actress who doesn't know when or how to shut up. Now some people are actually worried going into Endgame simply because of Captain Marvel and considering how OP she seems to be (from what I've heard from people), one can't blame them.

@Zeldasmash

Oh it gets even worse.

I've heard the DCEU plans on doing the same thing by revamping their cinematic universe to have Supergirl as the lead hero and a black Superman. Now I don't mind either of those (well...as long as the black Supes isn't Clark Kent, I'm fine. Blackwashing is just as not okay as whitewashing you know) but if they go through with this, hopefully they develop both these characters to be more than flat vehicles for identity politics.

Even if Brie actually shut up it wouldn't have saved this movie. It was pretty boring and average. RIP any sequels

Ssr4vegito said:
Box office expectations!?
It has a budget of 152 million dollars. Considering marketing cost the movie probably needs to make 350-400 million dollars to make a profit. Considering that every single MCU movie has made at least that much money, CM will at least break even.

As for profit I say it'll reach at least 600~ million. Probably closer to 700-800 million. I don't think it will have the same impact that BP will have and make over one billion.

Who wants a supergirl movie? I heard Harley Quinn is getting a triology. Hopefully DCEU learns something from this

The real cal howard said:
We already had a Supergirl movie...

I don't need to tell you how that went.
Not to be that guy, but I don't think that's a valid worry. The old Captain America movie sucked but that doesn't mean the modern ones do. Now you can totally worry about DC messing up the story since the WoDC/DCEU has a shaky track record.

Ssr4vegito said:
Even if Brie actually shut up it wouldn't have saved this movie. It was pretty boring and average. RIP any sequels
Yeah the movie would have still been average but it wouldn't receive nearly as much vitriol as it does now because of what she's said which basically alienated quite a portion of the MCU fanbase.

@Sera Ex

If it's Val-Zod, then cool. If it's Clark Kent, it's identity politics for the sake of an agenda push and a diversity quota.

What pisses me off the most is that these people are essentially bending over to people who don't care or watch these things in the first place. They have no idea about the lore nor do they care about it. They are just looking for things to complain and will do whatever they can to make it happen, regardless if it affects canon, lore and storytelling. These kind of people ruin things for everyone just so they can say "I made a change" or "I won".

That better not be true. I am concerned for the DCEU's future as is, what with Flash being a possible reboot plus Batman and Suicide Squad 2 already screwing with the actors.

I say just make a temp profile then update it when Endgame roles out. Better to do it now when the movie is fresh in everyone's mind than later.

While we are on the topic of PC stuff I also want to some things.

I have never felt like giving importance to feminist stuff, or representation worsened a show before I got introduced to many of the people criticizing them. That's cause it really doesn't. It's one's willingness to use it as an excuse to ignore all other elements of a story that worsens something.

From what I've been seeing lately, a lot of people think that featuring these ideas in a non subtle way is poison to the product and is the perfect way to ruin the product all together. But this doesn't have to be true. One of my favourites comedies is Brooklyn 99 and it featured these ideas and not in a hidden way. It was still great because it actually delivered on the comedy like it was supposed to and didn't rely on saying the right things to people to pull their interests.

So what is my point? I dunno I was honestly just rambling till now without thinking much about what I wanted to point out. If there was anything ro take away here it's just that, "Creating a show where feminism, progressiveness, represention are focused on is nowhere near as inexcusable as it is made out to be and it is and as long as you also work on the essentials of the show, you could still pump out something worthwhile"

Feminism isn't the issue. It's just bad writing/a bad product.

Also it's not like CM is bad in the first place. It's like a 6-7/10 movie.

Well, it better be better than Ant-Man and the Wasp. That shit was like Full House at times and there were no notable feats.

Also there's the whole "actor insults half the audience" thing alongside the whole ("This guy watched me lift something really heavy, and he went, 'Wow, I can't even lift that!' As if he were the epitome of health," Larson says. "I said, 'Yeah, I guess you're going to have to rethink your gender norms.' ") take a compliment as an insult kind of thing. I love B99 and al l things Marvel and I know some things about Brie is probably wrong but legit everyone would still be hyped and RT would have a 90% Audience wants to see if not for that. I mean look at WW and Alita, no one's gonna talk about that? I mean critics are 60% loving it sure but the audience don't mind it at all and it has no controversy aside form the eye things

Also even without an actor lashing out I'm more than sure that people would still be unhappy with a product if it's not good.

Here's my characters strength summary since I just watched the movie, I'll try to keep it spoiler free but I suggest you just skip over it if you want to go in blind:

- SEMI-SPOILER ALERT -

FIrst let's quickly establish strengths.

- The Skrull and the Kree are hovering around 9-C physically, they're able to physically best humans like Nick Fury but not by a ridiculous amount. He actually manages to get some good hits in but ends up getting dropped on the floor and slammed into a wall to the point where he's crawling on the ground. Just from a visual perspective, Captain America not only looks more skilled when he fights but definitely much stronger than them.

- Carol is already going to need two keys, one for a majority of the movie and one for when she awakens her potential near the end. That being said at the start she's definitely 9-C, higher with photon blasts. She's able to engage in a long drawn out fights with other Kree and Skrull and is shown to be very strong comparatively. She's not as fast as a train, but can keep up with it for a short amount of time, jumping to the height of one as well. I imagine she'd be higher with photon blasts since they're consistently shown to vaporize things like the doors of cars or trains with ease.

- When Carol awakens her potential she progressively starts becoming much much stronger. She does a photon punch to the ground and it floors a bunch of 9-C enemies across the room. She consistently starts delivering one-shots now to opponents who are supposed to be in high tech body armor. Near the end she becomes strong enough to literally fly through the exterior and interior walls of many spacecraft like it's butter. If I had to guess I'd say such a feat would be 8-C and maybe 8-B and much higher depending on whether or not the spaceships have technology making them more resistant than what they look like now, which is giant metal cabins.

- At the very end she's shown flying from the ground to orbit in presumably real time, which ends up roughly being 10 seconds, so potentially Hypersonic. Big jump considering she was stuck at being Superhuman speeds near the start of the movie.

That's all I can think of right now, sorry.

@Hiero

I'd recc you use spoiler tabs but then again I don't think anyone else uses after Matt did it lol. That said thank you for this summary.

In terms of an actual movie review? It was alright, pretty good I'd say and at least a 7/10. Most people here are honestly just playing into the drama and feminism or whatever and I think that's triggering their negativity bias.

+ Brie does an awesome job of playing Carol Danvers, sarcastic and witty but also in a way where you can sense that she knows she's more important than you. This sounds bad but when you throw Nick Fury into the mix, a guy who's just as witty and who uses information as his power (which is comedic at times, considering his tech is limited due to the time era which forces him to make up for it in the creativity department), I think it ends up turning out nicely, they make a good duo.

+ It's more of a spy film for a good majority of it. Considering the nature of the Skrull it's inevitable. This is a good thing though, Captain America: Winter Soldier was a spy film too and it ended up being fantastic. The movie finds a nice balance between superheroes being superheroes and superheroes being human.

+ It's funny like most Marvel movies, contrasted with its seriousness and scenarios as per usual and it's very enjoyable.

- I was confused, especially at the start of the movie. Lots of scenes I needed to think about and make sense of in my head.

- Fighting scenes were eh, they were alright and standard but lacked creativity like in Ironman 3 or Antman and Wasp.

I heard Fury got the name 'Avenger' for his initiative from Carol. Is this true? If so, what a slap in the face to Captain America: the first Avenger.

Andytrenom said:
Yeah

Generally, if you aren't stupid about it, feminism, or general political correctness is fine.

Unfortunately, many, many, many people are stupid about it

Screenshot 20190308-081523

Yes and no. Captain America still is the first Avenger to join the initative I believe (outside of Hawkeye and Black Widow, who were working as shield agents at the time... besides, they aren't even superpowered which was the original point of the initative).

Nick Fury just stole the name of the initiative from the name of Carol's fighter jet I think. Not sure, maybe she was nicknamed the Avenger but I thought it was her plane.

Qawsedf234 said:
I say just make a temp profile then update it when Endgame roles out. Better to do it now when the movie is fresh in everyone's mind than later.
Well, that's what I got:

Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant (Trained in martial arts for 6 years), Vehicular Mastery, Longevity (Due to its enhanced physiology, Danvers can live for many years without visibly aging), Heat Manipulation (Can accumulate the energy in her hands to burn, melt or traverse solid metals, such as steel doors, ceilings or walls), Regenerationn (Mid-Low; Though her cosmic power and Kree blood), Cosmic Energy, Energy Projection (Can directly concentrate cosmic energy into powerful photon blasts), Resistance to Extreme Heat (Do not feel bothered by the heat it generates in her hands) | All previous abilities on a heightened scale, Aura (Explosive), Flight, Spaceflight, Self-Sustenance (Type 1), Limited Electricity Manipulation (Her presence created electric shocks in the electricity wires), Limited Information Manipulation (Her full power gradually destroyed The Supreme Intelligence), Resistance to Power Nullification (Overpowered the Photon Inhibitor, that previously limited the full potential of her powers)

Keys: Suppressed | Full Power

Well, that's what I remembered, if anyone wants to help me sort out what's wrong and what's missing, I thank you

I wouldn't call her aura explosive. I also wouldn't give her vehicular mastery just for being able to pilot a state of the art alien fighter jet.

The rest look fine.

Dunno what I really wanted to accomplish with my previous message. The Avengers being named after her plane isn't bad. Its just explaining how a name came to be. So just chalk my previous thing to a kneejerk reaction.

Sentry is an actual example of shoehorning someone into the universe.

Shouldn't that have been Cap though? He was literally the first super powered being that decided to fight against some otherworldy threat to save people.

But that has nothing to do with anyones backstory @Enryu The Red Tower.

Steve Rogers is still Captain America if she didn't exist.

Clint is still Hawkeye. Natalie is still Black Widow. Peter is still Spider-Man. T'Challa is still Black Panther... etc etc etc.

The only ones who you could really argue would be affected is Ironman and Antman since their stories are kind of intertwined with technology, which SHIELD has influenced. Maybe a few more.

Back