• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
That pretty much just means blasts of light (Photons are what light is), so is inapplicable

Well SoL feats are precious in the Marvel universe - basically a lot of fiction

The Archdemon said:
She's flying between galaxies.
Like one galaxy in an hour? Eight galaxies in 7 seconds? Travel from the epicenter to the unobservable edge of a universe in 5 seconds? Or search through the whole universe in a minute?

Well, by the end of the film, she was described to be in the other side of the universe, and reaches Black Widow in about... one minute? Perhaps a little more.

Timespan was not well defined.

The Archdemon said:
Well, by the end of the film, she was described to be in the other side of the universe, and reaches Black Widow in about... one minute? Perhaps a little more.

Timespan was not well defined.
So this is Starfire tier huh? Nice. Starfire vs Captain Marvel confirmed. Or DC Captain Marvel vs Marvel Captain Marvel. Or (Ditto)

Her feats are pretty shit.

Her best feat of strength is blowing up a Kree Spaceship roughly the size of the one from Guardians of the Galaxy, and she doesn't really do it in one-shot.

She also redirects a Kree missile. And speed wise she can fly from the ground to orbit in seconds so she is admitedly pretty fast.

MFTL+ is out of the question and appears to be a sort of Travel Speed Only "Warp Drive", similarly to how Thor's Bifrost works.

So yeah she's probably like MHS+ and High Tier 8 to low Tier 7.

I don't get it, Captain Marvel has 6.3 on IMDB, well BELOW AVERAGE on the Median Score 7. And yet it has 82% on Rotten Tomatoes.

And a shitty movie, like Geostorm which got 5.3 on IMDB and 14% on Rotton Tomatoes, 82% of Google Users liked it while 69% of Google Users liked Captain Marvel. WAT?

Look of Metacritic. Captain Marvel's Critic score there was 64 last time I checked. It's an average movie.

The problem is that a lot of people are giving the movie positive reviews out of principle, because strong female yadda yadda. And when I say positive, I mean shit like 2.5/4, 3/5, 6/10... All of that counts as a "Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes' eyes, giving you the illusion that the movie is really good when in fact it's just average.

As a reminder I guess. RT scores aren't a rating, they're a recommendation to see the movie. For example the Force Awakens has a >90% RT rating, but the average critic review was in the high 7 to low 8 range.

So basically 82% of critics would recommend the movie, even if the average score (like most MCU movies) is in the 6-7 range.

Schnee One said:
Matt seems REALLY mad about this movie.
It's the insincerity and the artificiality that seems to permeate through the character of Carol Danvers in every media ever since Marvel collectively decided they would make her their "Big A-List Female Hero".

They started to force her onto everything and out of nowhere paint her as this beacon, as this symbol of justice and greatness and of women and feminism and children's inspiration and everything under the boat... It's not natural. Unlike characters like Wonder Woman or Black Widow who rose to popularity out of their own merits, Captain Marvel is shoehorned in. She sticks out like a sore thumb, and they aren't making an effort to cover up the writing on the walls.

Plus, the marketing for the movie is ridiculously pandering. You can't turn a corner without seeing some interview or press statement about how the movie is great solely for having a "strong independent female protagonist" and how Captain Marvel is the greatest, strongest, most powerful, bravest, most beloved hero in the MCU... Even though she was literally never mentioned up until 10 years into the series and we're now supposed to believe she's the key to defeating Thanos who was built up for years as the ultimate threat.

Hmm... Black Panther has 97% Rotton Tomatoes, 88% Metacritc but IMDB is only 7.4 so it's only an average or slightly an Above Average movie right?

Uselessnoob245 said:
Hmm... Black Panther has 97% Rotton Tomatoes, 88% Metacritc but IMDB is only 7.4 so it's only an average or slightly an Above Average movie right?
Best way to figure out if a movie is good is watching it.

Though I'm not particularly interested in Captain Marvel. I wish I could have seen Alita when it premiered, though.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I'd like to stand by my claim that Thor is still the strongest marvel character until Carol shows it and actually gives me entertainment from good writing and development

.... Actually, that said, since she doesn't have much to go off of in her movie, do we even want to go through with making a profile as of now?

She's super hyped but so far it's about as shallow as the writing probably is

Yeah. BP is one of the better rated Marvel movies, but the scores still tend to fall around the 8 range. This is why it's RT score is so much higher. You're far more likely to recommend a 8~ movie than you are a 4-7 movie.

Captain Marvel is just like the bulk of other MCU movies. Average or slight above average. Nothing bad but nothing new either. But still a fun watch in its 9wn right.

That's what I'm thinking

Until we actually see her fight Thanos and give him trouble, I myself wouldn't want to make any moves.

Qawsedf234 said:
Yeah. BP is one of the better rated Marvel movies, but the scores still tend to fall around the 8 range. This is why it's RT score is so much higher. You're far more likely to recommend a 8~ movie than you are a 4-7 movie.
Captain Marvel is just like the bulk of other MCU movies. Average or slight above average. Nothing bad but nothing new either. But still a fun watch in its 9wn right.
I've always think good MCU films always get 7 or above on IMDB.

Just give her a temp rating based on her best feat for now and add scaling for whenever endgame rolls around.

Also I checked RT. The average score the movie got was a 6.91/10. It's just that 82% of critics would recommend people to see the movie.

Matthew Schroeder said:
The movie has a plot point which is so utterly, and incomprehensibly bad that I refuse to believe it's canon to the MCU...
Hey now, I found Iron Man 3 to be a let down as well but let's not go to far here

Qawsedf234 said:
Hey now, I found Iron Man 3 to be a let down as well but let's not go to far here
I mean, it's on the level of "The Mandarin is a Paid Actor" though probably a lot worse... Want me to spoil? I'll hide the text.

I mean, it's on the level of "The Mandarin is a Paid Actor" though probably a lot worse... Want me to spoil? I'll hide the text.

Is there a really laughably stupid moment?

I would ask what it is if I knew how to hide text. But I'm assuming it's the twist character at the end.

Spoiler tab son

Dargoo Faust said:
They certainly can't mess her up as much as Comics!Marvel did.
Actually when did Marvel start to push Carol? Because it could've been a reaction to the MCU. Since it was announced towards to beginning of the franchise that she would be a major player.

They started to push Carol in 2013 when she went from Ms. Marvel to Captain Marvel... And her first two volumes of comics were actually good. It only started to get really bad when they shaved her hair and gave her a muscled, flat-chested, butch body and started making her lead the Avengers and then Civil War 2 happened.

The Mandarian is weird since a canon mini-movie and a canon prequel comic state there is a real Chinese Mandarian in the world. But as a guess I doubt we'll actually see him since they aren't in a hurry to make more IM movies.

Back