• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Boruto Anime and Manga Canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3X_2.0

VS Battles
Retired
We currently accept Boruto anime to be canon to the manga, with the anime filling in the gaps that manga leaves open. Issue is that a of anime events aren't mentioned in the manga, and there are a lot of differences in similar events.

The differences are:

Boruto Jougan and Byakugan. The Jougan appears in the first episode as an idea from Kishimoto himself, but in the manga, it's a Byakugan. You can tell the difference by the color, since the Jougan is black and blue, and Byakugan is full white. An eye that important, that'd determine his fate and "take everything from him". Jougan never appeared in the manga and I think it never will. Another issue is scenes that happened both in anime and manga, Jougan appears in the anime only. This makes completely sense, since while in "Borushiki" form, Boruto has a Byakugan in his right eye.

The Time Travel Arc. This Arc happens because of Urashiki, Otsutsuki that was never mentioned in the manga. Then Sasuke and Boruto go back in time to where Part 1 Naruto took place. To keep the consistency, Sasuke used a genjutsu to erase Naruto's memories. Issue is that this is never mentioned in the manga and anywhere in the anime again when it's adapting manga chapters. Urashiki's existence was never mentioned and he is a completely anime only character.

Sarada's 3 Tomoe in the manga Vs 2 (or 1, don't remember) Tomoe in the anime. When fighting Boro, Sarada uses the Chidori and we see the 3 Tomoe Sharingan. In the anime, she doesn't have a 3 Tomoe one. This event still need to happen in the anime.

Deepa was never mentioned in the manga, but he is a very important character in the anime.

Well, the anime just have a lot of arcs (it has more than 200 episodes, while the manga has ~60) and none of the anime-only arcs are mentioned in the manga. A lot of new characters and they are also not mentioned in the manga. However, this doesn't make the anime completely useless. It's just like in Dragon Ball Super case, where both anime and manga are canon but two different continuities. It'd be like, well, Boruto manga is canon to Naruto manga, Boruto anime is a different continuation. Boruto anime feats are exclusive to anime characters and vise versa. Profiles for anime characters should be created and we should remove the anime content of the anime from the current profile, including feats, abilities, images, scans etc etc.

Well, the anime just have a lot of arcs (it has more than 200 episodes, while the manga has ~60) and none of the anime-only arcs are mentioned in the manga. A lot of new characters and they are also not mentioned in the manga. However, this doesn't make the anime completely useless. It's just like in Dragon Ball Super case, where both anime and manga are canon but two different continuities.

This makes sense to me, and I'm fine with us treating it as two separate continuities.

Seems like the best solution, since we do it with Dragon Ball Super as precedent.

Of course, this can change in the future if Kishimoto or some anime dude say the anime only arcs is completely canon to the manga, then yeah we use it. If they decide to mention Urashiki and Time Travel Arc or even put Jougan in the manga. But as for now, different stuff.

Does this mean we can get those novel keys after all?

Well, the anime just have a lot of arcs (it has more than 200 episodes, while the manga has ~60) and none of the anime-only arcs are mentioned in the manga.
Slight disagreement on this. The Boruto manga did mention the school trip arc.
D1N0EHQCVKLvVgcPcZ9CYesxXHjCX-n7rjIPkTGWKLuydZ8JPheAB4YPn8XBL4HpeaufxAoPPlDAneafsetlkzwBUKGIHIR3F-SCBb-4iJuRJ2jE7jSd4WW2qZgReZ9kL_bhEK7T

Characters that would get an anime profile:
  • Boruto
  • Sarada
  • Mitsuki
  • Kawaki
  • Boro
  • All the New Era Kids
That's what I remember.

I feel like Sarada not having 3 tomoe in the anime when she did in the manga really solidifies them being not the “same exact” continuity. And as damage said, we have precedent splitting different canon continuities into anime and manga as with DBS. I agree based on the info in the OP.

He just mentioned a trip to the village and nothing more, there is no mention about the characters or the events that happened there.
Oh, I brought it up cuz there's even another profile that did this. For example, Android 21 from the DBFZ game has the same ratings as the anime characters because they mention DBZ and DBS events even tho the game doesn't show the events.

Last edited:
For example, Android 21 from the DBFZ game has the same ratings as the anime characters because they mention DBZ and DBS events even tho the game doesn't show the events.
According to Bandai Namco producer Tomoko Hiroki during an interview with Game Informer, "the timeline of the story takes place after the story of Dragon Ball Z" which confirms that the "FighterZ timeline" is a continuation of the original Dragon Ball timeline.

Idk I always viewed the Boruto anime as a retcon of the manga. Meaning I think the anime should be treated as primary canon since that's where all the details are.

It's fine for it to get changed if it'll cause confusion

Idk I always viewed the Boruto anime as a retcon of the manga. Meaning I think the anime should be treated as primary canon since that's where all the details are.

It's fine for it to get changed if it'll cause confusion
Retcon might be a stretch, the anime could still be primary canon, with the manga and even the novels being separate canons.

We currently accept Boruto anime to be canon to the manga, with the anime filling in the gaps that manga leaves open. Issue is that a of anime events aren't mentioned in the manga, and there are a lot of differences in similar events.

The differences are:

Boruto Jougan and Byakugan. The Jougan appears in the first episode as an idea from Kishimoto himself, but in the manga, it's a Byakugan. You can tell the difference by the color, since the Jougan is black and blue, and Byakugan is full white. An eye that important, that'd determine his fate and "take everything from him". Jougan never appeared in the manga and I think it never will. Another issue is scenes that happened both in anime and manga, Jougan appears in the anime only. This makes completely sense, since while in "Borushiki" form, Boruto has a Byakugan in his right eye.

The Time Travel Arc. This Arc happens because of Urashiki, Otsutsuki that was never mentioned in the manga. Then Sasuke and Boruto go back in time to where Part 1 Naruto took place. To keep the consistency, Sasuke used a genjutsu to erase Naruto's memories. Issue is that this is never mentioned in the manga and anywhere in the anime again when it's adapting manga chapters. Urashiki's existence was never mentioned and he is a completely anime only character.

Sarada's 3 Tomoe in the manga Vs 2 (or 1, don't remember) Tomoe in the anime. When fighting Boro, Sarada uses the Chidori and we see the 3 Tomoe Sharingan. In the anime, she doesn't have a 3 Tomoe one. This event still need to happen in the anime.

Deepa was never mentioned in the manga, but he is a very important character in the anime.

Well, the anime just have a lot of arcs (it has more than 200 episodes, while the manga has ~60) and none of the anime-only arcs are mentioned in the manga. A lot of new characters and they are also not mentioned in the manga. However, this doesn't make the anime completely useless. It's just like in Dragon Ball Super case, where both anime and manga are canon but two different continuities. It'd be like, well, Boruto manga is canon to Naruto manga, Boruto anime is a different continuation. Boruto anime feats are exclusive to anime characters and vise versa. Profiles for anime characters should be created and we should remove the anime content of the anime from the current profile, including feats, abilities, images, scans etc etc.
Agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back