• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SluriQ

He/Him
As asked by @Shadowbokunohero & @Nierre I made a CRT about canonicity of Boruto anime.

Currently, the last anime canon episode (281) of Boruto part 1:
MwW1Qvm.png

And english translation:
bFPruxY.png

As you can see, Kishimoto supervised every single anime original episode of Boruto (you can check by your own), like he did with manga, up to 13vol. From what I heard, currently anime is accepted on vsbw as canon only to 216 eps so it should be fixed.
Large Island level+ ChoCho & Sarada comeback in Nierre's CRT

So in conclusion
Anime Boruto should be again reaccept as fully canon, up to episode 293 and not only 216.

Kishimoto also stated he was involved with Naruto movies as well. I will say, I think this is a critical misunderstanding. When they say, "Original Work & Supervision", it's referring to his role as creator and supervisor of the manga. Just as he's always credited for the novels. IF he actually supervised it, he'd be credited in every true credits at the end or beginning of episodes.

Either way, you can't ignore the fact that the manga is increasingly ignoring the anime. That said, I would like to have "Anime only" versions on the wiki, but alas... I personally disagree though. It's it's own continuity after the academy arcs. I know some will disagree with my stance, and that's fine. I still disagree.

Either way, you can't ignore the fact that the manga is increasingly ignoring the anime. That said, I would like to have "Anime only" versions on the wiki, but alas... I personally disagree though. It's it's own continuity after the academy arcs. I know some will disagree with my stance, and that's fine. I still disagree.
I don’t think the manga ever considered the anime as equal canon since the beginning. Aside from one or two isolated statements about anime original stuff. The anime is mostly ignored by the manga and has no relevance to the story.

So yes I agree, the anime is its own thing.

I completely disagree and also voice the same ideas as @M3X_2.0 and @TFO

The anime should be it's own separate Canon as the manga has never made references to anime events and even has contradictions throughout. How are we this many years into the manga and Jogan has never been referenced?

It's clearly its own thing and shouldn't be merged with manga canon.

Yeah as others have said, anime contradicts the manga and significant events don't get mentioned or brought up at all. Supervising something doesn't automatically make it canon.

I agree with the others above and disagree with this thread. Just make a separate anime canon. Best solution for everybody.

The creator supervising something doesn’t make it canon.
Isn't this the reason why the first 13 volumes of the Boruto manga are canon? The anime is supervised by Kishimoto just like the manga, but the manga is canon and the anime isn't - it doesn't make any sense.
I don’t think the manga ever considered the anime as equal canon since the beginning. Aside from one or two isolated statements about anime original stuff. The anime is mostly ignored by the manga and has no relevance to the story.

So yes I agree, the anime is its own thing.
Ikemoto stated in an interview that he doesn't really have time for character development, so anime original episodes are made for this very reason - to develop characters, which is very important. Just because most anime arcs do not relate to the events of the manga does not mean that they are irrelevant to the manga. That's like saying that most of the Mujina banditsa arc from manga are non-canon because its not about Kara or Otsutsuki, which are the most important plot points.
I think it should stay like it currently is as the original writer of both left at volume 13 which would be the Isshiki arc.
I don't think it should, since most of the subsequent arcs are clear continuations of previous canon arcs.
Chunin Re-examination Arc is a continuation of the Chunin Exam, which was destroyed by Otsutsuki's invasion. Shikadai was elected chunin even though his opponent was disqualified, so they re-tested and Sarada won (after the time skip, she's a chunin, but we don't really know the reasons, so at most only this arc should be the non-canon one, but it's possible she was degraded or they'll probably fix it in the anime)
Great Sea Battle of Kirigakure Arc is a countinuation of School Trip Arc. Two canon characters died in this arc. Boruto used kama, which is a close thing to manga's plot.
•Kawaki & Himawari Academy Arc
is the beginning of Himawari's training and deepens Himawari's relation with her brother. These are important things for a current manga plot. Himawari was shown as training for Academy test in Code's Assault arc.
Labyrinth Game Arc literally itroduced a inner Kara member same as Kara Actuation Arc. Ouga was the last unkown kara member with a sign on her face that is shown on every inner Kara member in the manga. Sasuke was literally referring to future events from the manga.
•A future anime original arc will show how Sarada acquires the third Tomoe. Will you still say it's non-canon because Kodachi left Boruto? Even though Kishimoto is important, not Kodachi.
I agree with the others above and disagree with this thread. Just make a separate anime canon. Best solution for everybody.
I don't really see the reason for this, since the anime doesn't really change the story. Rather, it fills in the gaps and fixes some things. Sarada's changes to her Sharingan and shinobi rank in the anime are not that important to be a completely different continuation of the manga. For which continuation would the novels (e.g. with a Jougan) be canon? Lmao
In conclusion anime just fills the manga and is completely canon to it.

It wouldn't be a direct sequel to the main series if Kishimoto hadn't supervised it = accepted it as canon material.
Not really, it was promoted as a direct sequel and was marketed as such.

Literally no one says the manga is canon because Kishimoto supervised it. That’s not an argument.

•A future anime original arc will show how Sarada acquires the third Tomoe. Will you still say it's non-canon because Kodachi left Boruto? Even though Kishimoto is important, not Kodachi.
This isn't relevant at all considering she gains her third tomoe from a light novel thats already considered canon.

I'm with Damage and KT. I think this should likely be closed, given all of the commenting staff have disagreed.

Not really, it was promoted as a direct sequel and was marketed as such.

Literally no one says the manga is canon because Kishimoto supervised it. That’s not an argument.
Without Kishimoto's approval, no company has the right to create a canonical sequel to his work. It would be fan-made or non-canon like filler.
This isn't relevant at all considering she gains her third tomoe from a light novel thats already considered canon.
I don't know this Light Novel but it's the same situation as with the Boruto movie. They can do this in the anime and it will be based on this Light Novel. They can simply change the moment when she obtains it for the anime or make a completely different story that cancels the canonicity of this Light Novel.

Without Kishimoto's approval, no company has the right to create a canonical sequel to his work. It would be fan-made or non-canon like filler.
The manga is written by Kishimoto though.

Yes, I know it was written by Kodachi at first, but since Kishimoto hasn't retconned the first 13 volumes out of existence, they'd still be canon too.

The manga is written by Kishimoto though.
Yes, but only from 14 volumes. Previously, Kishimoto just supervised the manga, just like he did with the anime, and this made the manga canon before he started writing Boruto. It should be the same with anime.

They do actually. They have contracts. If they want to make a new series they can just do it.

Kishimoto owns the IP but there’s a bunch of contracts to be followed.

Again, this is not an argument. The anime shouldn’t be canon.

Honestly I don’t even know this is still a discussion, the argument of Kishimoto supervising the anime doesn’t hold true because he could’ve just helped them with designs or to not **** things up.

He had supervised a bunch, if not all non-canon movies.

Feel free anyone to end this thread.

Honestly I don’t even know this is still a discussion, the argument of Kishimoto supervising the anime doesn’t hold true because he could’ve just helped them with designs or to not ***** things up.

Currently the Wiki accepts a lot of the anime as canon, so a new thread should be made to remove the anime being canon at all because the manga literally makes 0 references to it and has too many contradictions.

They do actually. They have contracts. If they want to make a new series they can just do it.

Kishimoto owns the IP but there’s a bunch of contracts to be followed.

Again, this is not an argument. The anime shouldn’t be canon.
They can make a new series, but it doesn't make it canon. Kishimoto must accept it as a canonthing first. And supervising is one of the ways to do that.
Honestly I don’t even know this is still a discussion, the argument of Kishimoto supervising the anime doesn’t hold true because he could’ve just helped them with designs or to not ***** things up.

You don't know how did he supervised that, you know that he did it. Kishimoto wouldn't supervise a non-canon thing because it's unprofitable for him. Movies are different because they are in the cinemas and he has a big profit of that. But from what I know the only movies he supervised are The Last and Boruto and these are canon because of that.
Kishimoto worked on NSUNS's plot and thats the reason its canon. Supervising someone's work is basically the same thing as working on it.
I don't understand why Kodachi's supervising is important but Kishimoto's supervising is not while Kodachi's supervise would be non-canon without Kishimoto's supervise.

Currently the Wiki accepts a lot of the anime as canon, so a new thread should be made to remove the anime being canon at all because the manga literally makes 0 references to it and has too many contradictions.
I'm more talking about how arguing this topic here is useless & the thread is wrong and rejected because the argument isn't good enough.

Whether or not the anime is canon is its own thing. At the very least do what damage suggested and separate the two.

They can be two separate continuities.

But I don't understand what's the problem here?

as far as this wiki should be considered, the anime canon and anime's adaptation of the manga should all be considered canon. Both under 1 blanket profile

There's no use in separating them like someone suggested and even if it happens, there would be virtually little to no change in the scaling afaik.

Kodachi did say in a recent tweet that story and screenplay are currently in the hands of Kishimoto

Anyways
Following this soon to be closed thread

But I don't understand what's the problem here?

as far as this wiki should be considered, the anime canon and anime's adaptation of the manga should all be considered canon. Both under 1 blanket profile

There's no use in separating them like someone suggested and even if it happens, there would be virtually little to no change in the scaling afaik.
That's the point. Even if someone considers the manga and anime to be two separate continuities, the plot is mostly the same. The anime simply adds some keys to the profiles and adds scaling that is canon to the verse, since anime canon episodes are canon to the anime (and should be to the manga as well). There is simply no reason to create two different profiles for anime and manga. I'm just trying to apply every important scaling, from anime to profiles.

If you want the anime to be canon, there it should be 2 profiles. There is no other way. The anime isn't canon to the manga and that's quite obvious.
Ok, but the scaling in anime based on manga arcs is the same as in the manga. The anime simply adds some keys and scaling from the original anime arcs. There is no really good reason to create two different profiles. It would be different if the anime had completely different scaling compared to the manga, but it doesn't.

Ok, but the scaling in anime based on manga arcs is the same as in the manga. The anime simply adds some keys and scaling from the original anime arcs. There is no really good reason to create two different profiles. It would be different if the anime had completely different scaling compared to the manga, but it doesn't.
Well, we won't know that for certain unless someone actually makes separate profiles in sandboxes possibly, so we can judge for ourselves.

this thread should be closed since it has been rejected by every staff here

but u guys should read WoI's thread involving the canonicity of the anime, because it's clear to me that alot of u guys haven't read it

this thread should be closed since it has been rejected by every staff here

but u guys should read WoI's thread involving the canonicity of the anime, because it's clear to me that alot of u guys haven't read it
Yeah... I think there's enough rejections here to close this now. So I'll do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back