• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can vouch for Ant, even Zark and the other reasonable experts of the verse are struggling to keep up with the massive influx of such debaters, and even I struggle to discuss the validity of one feat alone.

Thank you KLOL506. I appreciate the support of you, Zark, Firestorm808, C2, and the other reasonable members.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
I agree with giving him some kind of speed rating. I'm sure he has some sort of feats of his own out there that can be used.

The issue is that, while I'm not terribly familiar with his showings, I'm pretty sure Booster Gold is a character who jumps from having trouble with higher-end street tiers to keeping pace with Superman-level opponents. So scaling his speed is probably going to be problematic.
Yeah, in terms of speed, from what I've looked into, Booster jumps around a lot, and he doesn't have many solid speed feats of his own to use that I've found. He has a showing of explictly being able to react to a punch from Doomsday in Death of Superman, and hell, during the last issue of his post-crisis run in the flashpoint event

https://imgur.com/a/tTs1dcT

Dude managed to break into the speedforce lol. At the same time though, there are a lot of contextual factors going into this too, so I suppose it's really up to opinion on if this is consistent or not, and we need more scans of his low-ends and such. 9-A and MFTL+ would be a weird rating to say the least.

Didn't Gorilla Grodd destroy a building once? Flash scales to that in base. Why not calc that?

Antvasima said:
1) Thank you. I appreciate it. Should I return your administrator position immediately?
Go ahead, though I'm not likely to start fully resuming my responsibilities until I've taken care of a few things over these next few days. A lot has happened since I left, and I need to make sure I have all of my psychological affairs in order before I commit myself to this place again.

Antvasima said:
3) The problem is that our 3 most knowledgeable experts regarding the verses (PrinceOfTheMorning, Sandman31, and ClassicNESfan) are all either entirely missibg from the wiki, or have had to significantly reduce their activity here, for personal reasons, and Matthew doesn't have the stamina to deal with groups of unreasonable members to nearly the same degree as previously, which leaves myself to try to at least maintain some reasonable degree of reliability for our profiles, and I am extremely overworked and stressed out already, which causes me to sometimes turn too testy when doing so.
That...is a problem. I knew Sandman was mostly MIA, but I didn't realize the other two had gone missing as well.

I do have to agree, our repeated hangups with Marvel and DC are largely due to the fact that we just don't have enough levelheaded members who're reading the comics and keeping working knowledge of them. I myself am not perfect in that regard, and there's really not that much I could do about that even if I had an encyclopedic knowledge of the two verses. They're too large. Maintaining and overseeing them on a site like this is a job for a team, not the 1-3 truly knowledgeable people we tend to have at a given time...

I'm not sure how we'd go about remedying that. You'd have to ask someone who's better connected.

Kingo the Sixth said:
Yeah, in terms of speed, from what I've looked into, Booster jumps around a lot, and he doesn't have many solid speed feats of his own to use that I've found. He has a showing of explictly being able to react to a punch from Doomsday in Death of Superman, and hell, during the last issue of his post-crisis run in the flashpoint event
https://imgur.com/a/tTs1dcT

Dude managed to break into the speedforce lol. At the same time though, there are a lot of contextual factors going into this too, so I suppose it's really up to opinion on if this is consistent or not, and we need more scans of his low-ends and such. 9-A and MFTL+ would be a weird rating to say the least.
Indeed. I do wish he had the kind of wide-spanning resource of his feats that characters like Batman and Superman do, but the few source threads I have seen for him are woefully...crappy. And like many other DC characters, he has hundreds of appearances, many of which have likely been overlooked.

He's going to have weird ratings anyway, though. As I understand it, he comes equipped with a forcefield that lets him take hits from Superman-level opponents constantly, but doesn't have any attacks or equipment that do that much damage by themselves. So...Superman-tier durability with a forcefield, on a guy who's probably Tier 9. lol

Yeah, I think the main blog the OP of the thread and such are citing is this one which was made by a Death Battle researcher, though it doesn't make a distinction between PC Booster and Post-Flashpoint Booster like this site. Regardless, I think atm the best thing to do is to hold off on changing his profile until somebody collects a good number of scans and such, and then make these upgrades ability-wise and speed-wise.

Also, I guess to speak on the other topic, there are plenty of ratings I disagree with on this site, comic or otherwise, but I'm not gonna hold it against anybody. Ultimately this site, as like a project, is incredibly big. It requires constant administration for tens and thousands of pages which are all essentially opinion based. Such a wide-scale thing needs a bunch of people on deck constantly keeping up with a number of series. It's perfectly understandable to get tired lol, just appreciate the work y'all have already done.

@MrKing

1) Okay. I will restore your administrator position now.

2) Yes. Marvel and DC Comics are my biggest ongoing headaches in this wiki. They seem to be on the verge of going financially bankrupt due to the shutdown though (on top of most of their creators already being morally bankrupt going by their ongoing vicious and slanderous behaviour in social media), so maybe some of the fans will move on to other entertainment instead.

I greatly appreciate all of the members who are helping out to deal with the ongoing mess, rather than make it worse, though.

3) Booster is actually a good character when written by Dan Jurgens. He is just a massive stone wall.

@Ant:

2) Indeed. It would be nice if I could do more to help fix things, but my own knowledge of the two verses is limited (albeit less so than some others, apparently), and I also have no idea who I could call to help out who isn't...sour about this site as a whole.

3) I don't have anything to say about Booster Gold as a character, since I don't have the clearest memory of him and the limited number of his stories I read. I was more acknowledging that his stats are going to be extremely weird compared to some other profiles the site has.

@Kingo:

Well, in the case of Death Battle, they use the most current versions of Marvel/DC characters (or the most iconic ones, in the event that the current versions are drastically different from past iterations), and in the case of DC, Rebirth seems to have given almost all of the New 52 characters their Post-Crisis histories back. So it's not exactly incorrect for their researchers to avoid making the distinction; for the most current version of Booster, there isn't a distinction to be made.

It does make it a pain in the ass for anyone who wants to try and source the feats they toss into their RTs, though.

Damn I was planning to make him 8-C.

Just to say I disagree with downgrading, but I will refrain from commenting due to this thread already being massively derailed.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
@Kingo:

Well, in the case of Death Battle, they use the most current versions of Marvel/DC characters (or the most iconic ones, in the event that the current versions are drastically different from past iterations), and in the case of DC, Rebirth seems to have given almost all of the New 52 characters their Post-Crisis histories back. So it's not exactly incorrect for their researchers to avoid make the distinction; for the most current version of Booster, there isn't a distinction to be made.

It does make it a pain in the ass for anyone who wants to try and source the feats they toss into their RTs, though.
Oh I'm aware lol. Rebirth's essential merging of post-crisis and New 52 histories together certainly makes compositing in a general sense easier, but it is troublesome for a site like this which keeps things distinct. I would say just create Rebirth profiles for DC characters, but I realise that would probably be ridiculous time-consuming and would just be copy pasting info from one profile and adding it on to the other version, so not much of a point I guess.

But uh, yes, if we're considering downgrading Batman characters (are we?), I'd say hold off on that too. That's the type of major upheavel which requires a lot of discussion and sourcing on it all, and it's a rather subjective thing which needs discussion, same as these Booster upgrades. It's certainly something to consider though.

At any rate, does Booster Gold have any showings of harming base Flash? That could fix things up a bit.

I think that he knocked out the Flash once, but do not remember the issue number.

Anyway, if Batman is rated as 9-A+, Booster should definitely be 8-C, due to being considerably stronger.

Every year people say that "Comics Industry will go bankrupt" but it doesn't because folks fail to realize that comics are dirt cheap to make.

It's almost getting comical, how many successful projects they release which get hype, and then are conveniently forgotten whenever one of their obscure experimental side projects fuckup at which point "MARVEL IS DYING"

Anyways, obvious statement, I'm somewhat sick of comics bashing, modern or otherwise, so I'll prefer if folks quit it and stay objective

I'm not sure why you're saying "folks" when there's only one comment touching on that subject.

The rest of the comments thus far have been very objective. I don't see how they haven't been. The most that's been said is that Marvel and DC are large, that Rebirth made sourcing things for each continuity more troublesome, and that we'd be better off if we had a team of thoroughly knowledgeable people working on the two verses. All of that is just stating facts. Nobody's bashing anything.

Antvasima said:
I think that he knocked out the Flash once, but do not remember the issue number.

Anyway, if Batman is rated as 9-A+, Booster should definitely be 8-C, due to being considerably stronger.
I agree with 8-C Booster, at least for now.

Well, to be fair to Zark, I genuinely am extremely disillusioned regarding the current state of the western superhero comicbook industry and the sheer toxicity of its supposed "professionals", even though I love the eras before Sana Amanat and Dan Didio, and all of the comicbook shops closing down for an extended period of time is devastating for the industry, which was already in a very bad financial condition, so it isn't like I am just making things up.

Still, I will try to keep my comments under control as much as I am able. Let's try to return to discussing Booster's rating instead.

I feel upon reflection we need to figure out what feats Booster has for each era but I'm fine with 8-C for the time being

Okay. Should I apply the rating, or is somebody else willing to handle it?

I am not sure.

Also just to remind everyone, the respect thread King linked seem to feature all of Batman feats throughout the years, so we need to check carefully which are actually Post-Crisis (shouldn't be hard as there are years).

All of the New 52/Rebirth feats in that thread are in bold. As is the case in every other section of his mega-RT. (Which that link comes from)

They're next to impossible to confuse with the rest.

Anyway upgrading or downgrading Batman is not going to be concluded anytime soon, so does anyone know when did Booster Gold shown intangibility? After that we should probably close this thread and wait for the forum move.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
Yeah but the stuff before 1985 aren't considered Post-Crisis.
There isn't anything prior to his Post-Crisis history in that thread. The Mega-RT it's an extension of states that everything not bolded is Post-Crisis. It doesn't draw from anything else before that.

You can check if you really want to. I'm just saying it's going to be a monumental waste of your time. You're not going to find anything prior to Batman: Year One in there.

Anyway upgrading or downgrading Batman is not going to be concluded anytime soon, so does anyone know when did Booster Gold shown intangibility? After that we should probably close this thread and wait for the forum move.
His page on the DC Database wiki (which, somewhat ironically, seems to be the best source of info on his capabilities readily available right now) lists that as one of his powers, but I have no clue which comic(s) that comes from. We're probably better off deleting that until someone finds an example on their own.

Isn't Post-Crisis stuff after 1985? But I see 1940s stuff on there.
Like many things involving DC's continuity, it takes some explaining.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think Batman's older comics were ever wholesale retconned prior to the New 52. (With the exception of his origin story; I believe that was rewritten twice) Unlike the Superman-level characters, there was never really a reason to. He wasn't hit with the monumental power-creep that caused the big-leaguers to be borderline-unwritable due to how powerful they had become within their setting. If anything, he was the most reasonably-powered big-name character they had back then.

There might be specific comics that don't apply post-COIE, but if there are, the people who worked on the mega-RT would keep track of which ones and exclude them as necessary. They kind of make it their job to be on top of things like that.

IIRC the main difference was Batman was kinda less darker and was good friends with Superman back then. Other than that I guess it's similar.

Although do we consider stuff before 1985 for post-crisis Batman then? That's great as I have a few Class 10 to borderline Class 25 lifting strength feats.

Yeah, he's mostly the same, from what little I remember. They just darkened him over the course of the decades. I'm pretty sure that's part of why his origin was rewritten.

I have no idea how many feats we're using for him right now and where from. All I know is that everything in that thread that isn't bolded should be perfectly canon to his Post-Crisis self. Whether that leads to changes isn't something I'm terribly concerned with, as long as they're reasonable.

MrKing is correct regarding Batman as far as I am aware.

I will remove the intangibility power from Booster's profile.

After that we can probably close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back