• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Boomer Shooter/New Blood Interactive discussion thread

Oh yeah, personally I love ULTRAKILL and DUSK above almost all other boomer shooters if you're looking for some action stuff, ULTRAKILL has DMC-like skill ceiling so you can do high-level stuff, you got a score ranking and all that, DUSK doesn't have that but I think it's really well designed, it's sometimes got a bit of a horror edge to it which works really well while at other times having insane setpieces which always hit IMO.

If you're just looking for interesting shooters Cruelty Squad is also amazing, it's more of an im/sim slightly stealthy thing and it's really weird and hard to describe but once you get into it it's a really clever game that also has something to say.

Y’all got any recommendations for some games?I basically have some money to dump into a game atm
I mean tell us what you've already played and what you like.
Its pointless recomending a coop focussed game if you play solo, a story focussed one if you have taste, a roguelite if you hate starting over, a game with only 2 guns at a time if you like having fun, etc.

Oh yeah, personally I love ULTRAKILL and DUSK above almost all other boomer shooters if you're looking for some action stuff, ULTRAKILL has DMC-like skill ceiling so you can do high-level stuff, you got a score ranking and all that, DUSK doesn't have that but I think it's really well designed, it's sometimes got a bit of a horror edge to it which works really well while at other times having insane setpieces which always hit IMO.

If you're just looking for interesting shooters Cruelty Squad is also amazing, it's more of an im/sim slightly stealthy thing and it's really weird and hard to describe but once you get into it it's a really clever game that also has something to say.
I really like this retro gaming resurgence in these last couple of years.

Boomer shooters usually have this weirdly intriguing sense of style. I guess that's just a retro gaming thing in general. I find pixel games the most beautiful when they are greatly animated and have a good sense of style.

Btw CULTIC looks mighty fine. It's a very obvious nod to BLOOD. Speaking of, it sucks that BLOOD died the way it did. It really needs a reboot.

I really like this retro gaming resurgence in these last couple of years.

Boomer shooters usually have this weirdly intriguing sense of style. I guess that's just a retro gaming thing in general. I find pixel games the most beautiful when they are greatly animated and have a good sense of style.
Yeah definitely - I think some of the boomer shooters I've played are a bit weak but for a fairly niche genre there's a LOT of really great games with more on the way. I like to think this kinda shows how it's less of a nostalgia fad but more of a way to counter the issues with modern shooter tropes.
Btw CULTIC looks mighty fine. It's a very obvious nod to BLOOD. Speaking of, it sucks that BLOOD died the way it did. It really needs a reboot.
Oh yeah, Blood died in the most unfortunate way. Which is a shame since to my understanding Blood 2 initially got hyped up a bit too, it just failed to deliver. I think the rights to it are kind of a mess so I have very low hopes for any sort of continuation.

Finally bothered with Ultrakill demo. Surprisingly long. Fairly underwhelming demo despite that because you spend too much of it with the handgun (so you can choose an unsatisfying pee shot, a gimmicky coin thing you don't seem able to aim and in the demo doesn't do any more damage or a slow charge shot). Becomes much more fun once you get the shotgun. Gotta say though I played it on the harder option presented and one boss aside (second version of sword guy) none of the enemies were threats at all. I basically only died to the map (and that's mostly because the map 1 shots you). Normal enemies all died in like 1-2 hits and a charrge shot point blank with just 1 enemy is a 25% heal+. The combo system was... okay... except for the weird seemingly completely arbitary in the air mod. You just get up to 300% style for being in the air. For no apparent reason. Seeing a shot coming and punching it in reaction and getting a high score from that, succesfuly piercing 6 dudes or an explosion, those are all fun, reactive, stylish feeling actions. Getting 1/3rd of the points from these actions because I didn't jump because the game has simply dictated being on the floor is inherently less stylish is not fun.
I assume the actual proper game is much more complex than this since its being compared to DMC (which while a fairly braindead series itself, and I've beatend those games with S rank on DMD so I can say that), has much more going on than this demo did.
Probably won't buy it purely, 100% because of that arbitary air scoring. It feels so incredibly stupid. I'd get it if I was avoiding lava on the floor, a shockwave, etc, and it calls that stylish, but to call every single jump I do up to 300% as stylish because ??? just irks me and makes the game massively less fun.

I can already tell that a profile for the protagonist of Divine Frequency would be absolutely bonkers to do, but as I have a lot of projects ahead of me and it is still a beta, I'll wait before working on it-

I'm just waiting for a Steam sale when Nightmare Reaper gets cheaper, that game mixes almost everything I like into a single package.

I can already tell that a profile for the protagonist of Divine Frequency would be absolutely bonkers to do, but as I have a lot of projects ahead of me and it is still a beta, I'll wait before working on it-

I'm just waiting for a Steam sale when Nightmare Reaper gets cheaper, that game mixes almost everything I like into a single package.
Thanks for mentioning Divine Frequency. It's like a mix of Bloodborne and Blood. It really caught my interest. I think i will be checking this one out when it releases.

Some statements in this game are pretty wild. I can see Divine Frequency being in 4D ranges at BARE MINIMUM. You can go far higher depending on how you want to interpert some statements.

Thanks for mentioning Divine Frequency. It's like a mix of Bloodborne and Blood. It really caught my interest. I think i will be checking this one out when it releases.

Some statements in this game are pretty wild. I can see Divine Frequency being in 4D ranges at BARE MINIMUM. You can go far higher depending on how you want to interpert some statements.
Unless I'm missing something it is literally a doom mod. So its a mix of Doom and realm667 assets.
Is there some other divine frequency I'm not finding on the google?

Like this

Its just WDI, nearly the exact same assets, but singleplayer.

Actually missed this post
Heyo! After a long time, I'm back to this thread!

I would recommend checking out Divine Frequency - the longplay by Alpha Beta Gamer caught my eye. Even as a demo, it looks incredibly cool.

Looks kind of neat I guess.

Unless I'm missing something it is literally a doom mod. So its a mix of Doom and realm667 assets.
Is there some other divine frequency I'm not finding on the google?

Like this

Its just WDI, nearly the exact same assets, but singleplayer.

Never claimed it was anything other than a Doom mod. I was only saying that the overall asthetics of the game are clearly inspired by Blood and Bloodborne. It's pretty obvious.

Never claimed it was anything other than a Doom mod. I was only saying that the overall asthetics of the game are clearly inspired by Blood and Bloodborne. It's pretty obvious.
How so? Blood is a largely outside set game with stone and blood enviroments and extremely fast-paced and loud ranged enemies and a sarcastic mc.
This seems to be a mostly indoor game with relatively clean floors, stone walls, quiet melee enemies and a silent mc.
Its literally the opposite unless you think blood invented humanoid enemies, shotguns and 'we want the cthullu crowd'.
On that note, it doesn't seem to be inspired by bloodborne either. That game, too, did not invent this vague aesthetic of 'there are inhuman confusing monsters'.

How so? Blood is a largely outside set game with stone and blood enviroments and extremely fast-paced and loud ranged enemies and a sarcastic mc.
This seems to be a mostly indoor game with relatively clean floors, stone walls, quiet melee enemies and a silent mc.
Its literally the opposite unless you think blood invented humanoid enemies, shotguns and 'we want the cthullu crowd'.
On that note, it doesn't seem to be inspired by bloodborne either. That game, too, did not invent this vague aesthetic of 'there are inhuman confusing monsters'.
It's definitely inspired by Bloodborne. Look at the bars at the top left. It hast the classic souls like red for health, green for stamina and an optional third bar, after you defeat a boss you get a sign over your screen in the fashion of "Victory achived" from Dark Souls 1, "Prey slaughtered" from Bloodborne ect... it even has the same type of sound effect when it appears, there are also times you go through doors and there appears a fog gate like effect from Souls games, some quotes are also eriely simillar to ones in Bloodborne, especially when it comes to bells. I mean in the end it all just stacks, it's an rpg with themes of cosmic horror.

The Blood ones are less obvious but still there. The shotgun instantly gives me Blood vibes, there are brown robe cultist enemies and in one room you can literally find a computer with Blood playing on it.

As it turns out, trying to find out what is the weight of an average crowbar is way harder than I thought. Once again, Half-Life proves how much of a timeless classic it is by torturing someone trying to research dumb shit about it 20+ years later.

As it turns out, trying to find out what is the weight of an average crowbar is way harder than I thought. Once again, Half-Life proves how much of a timeless classic it is by torturing someone trying to research dumb shit about it 20+ years later.
Speaking of Half-Life. Aren't Gordon and other characters supposed to be upgraded to Building Level to Building Level+ soon?

Seeing snippets from the new ULTRAKILL act is making me hyped as ****. The aesthetic is completely different, but taking a break from all the hell-ish stuff every once in a while is good.
also theres a hakita bean plushie and a deformed hakita fumo and you also sacrifice a hampter but that's besides that

So i played the new act, it was pretty nice, the atmosphere of the places was incredible the music was cool, the new lore was interesting and the rocket launcher, while kinda weird to use in combat, is a fun trap and airshot weapon.

I do think the leviathan could be buffed, he felt too squishy compared to gabriel and ferryman, and i think gabriel deserves to be harder, maybe not as hard as minos prime but still.

Unfortunately, since we can't parry the leviathan, there is no upgrade i can think of for v1, actually now that weapons infos are there, we might need to downgrade his speed because the shotgun doesn't shoot bullets.

Gabriel threatens to spread our profane foam across the stars and when held the councilor head, i think he either screamed or people across the cosmos just felt it, those could be range upgrades if they aren't flowery language, at least if god appears he will be 3-A or low 2-C most likely.

We will still get another p-2 that could potentially upgrade v1 though so let's wait.

Leviathan was a little weak yeah. Really good update, overall. Very pleasantly surprised by the arc Gabriel is going on.

A pretty sizeable V1 upgrade might actually be coming our way, not from new content but me learning how to use cheats for better pixel scaling, turns out Minos is really damn big (like, 360 meters tall) and his GPE would be way higher than the destruction he caused. Though the Leviathan does flip a whole boat over.

Speed might need to be downgraded however considering heat guns like the Shotgun (together with electric guns) would have replaced normal shotguns were its not for its difficulty of use, so I think it could be reasonable to argue they're at least within the same ballpark. The Revolver's lore implies much great muzzle speed than normal guns, anyway, given that it fires incredibly minuscule projectiles yet the kinetic energy is comparable or superior to normal bullets through sheer speed, it's basically a particle gun.

Last edited:
Why was i not notified ;-;

Damn, didn't expect him to be this large, yeah that might help with the punch parrying, and i forgot leviathan flipped the boat.

I didn't think of that, it does make sense and makes it believable, i was skeptical because the revolver is hitscan, kinda like how tf2 was downgrade (minus hammer unit scaling), but yeah, the two hitscans weapons are definitely far faster than bullets, revolvers shooting minuscule projectiles and railcannon shooting electricity.

Damn, didn't expect him to be this large, yeah that might help with the punch parrying, and i forgot leviathan flipped the boat.
speaking of which, lol
I didn't think of that, it does make sense and makes it believable, i was skeptical because the revolver is hitscan, kinda like how tf2 was downgrade (minus hammer unit scaling), but yeah, the two hitscans weapons are definitely far faster than bullets, revolvers shooting minuscule projectiles and railcannon shooting electricity.
There's actually support in that the Nailgun is confirmed to be a repurposed bullet weapon (probably a minigun given the shape) and it's not hitscan so shotgun compares to it somewhat

It's a telegraphed AoE attack, so I don't think it can be used.
Oh wait I'm dumb as shit, he actually uses non-telegraphed lightning every once in a while in his second phase, so there's a chance.
can you tell i havent reached that fight yet

From what i recall, no, besides the fact that the attack doesn't track or anything so you just gotta move out of the blast radius, it is instateneous once the lightning bolt falls.

I don't remember him doing that in the second phase, gotta check it out.

My god, I haven't touched Ultrakill since Greed. My left hand is ******* convulsing and I barely get any combos together.

The ******* disrespect. Back in the old days I styled on Gabriel
Gram-gram, your dementia is making you think barely anybody could style on Gabriel back when Prelude was the most up-to-date version of the game. Let's get you into bed now.

I have heard you are allowed to shoot boomers here
9556188b5d0a02a65ae6d46453a7149f.jpg

Gram-gram, your dementia is making you think barely anybody could style on Gabriel back when Prelude was the most up-to-date version of the game. Let's get you into bed now.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO ONE COULD. I styled on his ass AND benched 405 at the same time. You milennials...

i feel like you had a mini existential crisis when you realized every millenial is either in their late 20s or already in their 30s before posting that

Back