• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An Important Notice Regarding Imgur

TBH trying to migrate to other image hosting sites is a bad idea at this point, it feels less of trying to find a better alternative and more like trying to pass stuff hidden from the law, which isn't really sustainable long term.

As much as the Fandom image hosting service sucks, it's the most reliable alternative we have, and I recall stuff directly on the site linked on a page would fall as fair use as it's clearly being used for educational purposes, so I don't think it'd break copyright laws, especially if we aren't uploading an entire book or comic, for example.

If people want to neatly list multiple images from a single link, just make small blog posts or something, maybe we could even adopt what other wikies do and just do subpages for that purpose (for example, "Mario/References")
Well, I have asked our wiki manager for clarifications regarding what types of images that we are allowed to upload to our wiki, but he has not responded yet.

Well, we should still try to mainly focus on using references instead whenever possible.

Lots of our members still appear to prefer using image links instead of references, so it is important to underscore that we should continuously move in the opposite direction.

It is not constructive to undermine valid instructions in important discussions.

Lots of our members still appear to prefer using image links instead of references, so it is important to underscore that we should continuously move in the opposite direction.
That seems to be a separate issue of people not following our rules on references, I suppose?

Yes. It was a general comment regarding that we must become less dependent on image links in general, as they can potentially be largely wiped out.

There is one problem with references. Imagine a movie profile, what should be the reference? That one movie? Nothing more? It’s not like a manga or a comic with dozens of chapters.

References aren’t a solution.
I know that this sounds silly, but a timestamp might be helpful

I know what they do, I mean that references like that isn’t helpful.

We’re mistaking references for a solution for our Imgur problem.

References don’t substitute scans, they tell you where they’re from.

There is one problem with references. Imagine a movie profile, what should be the reference? That one movie? Nothing more? It’s not like a manga or a comic with dozens of chapters.

Multiple movie variants exist as well, timestamp may not always be the one and the same. They may even have different chapter names for each scene. Not everyone may have a Blu-Ray copy that tells them that chapter name.

Well, movie profiles can technically reference the specific time frame. Video games are a much bigger problem in that regard.

However, I mainly want us to lessen our dependency whenever possible.

What about blogs? Like, we create blogs that compile feats for the verse, they would have the scans and everything, these blogs would cointain the feats and the profiles whotever it scales to, and instead of the profiles linking to scans, gifs and videos directly, they would link to the specific section of the feat in the blog.
This would help fix the link if it gets broken and we wouldn't need to replace hundreds of scans to fix just one verse.
Although, i have no idea what to do about P&A, so i don't know if this is a good idea🤷‍♂️

What about blogs? Like, we create blogs that compile feats for the verse, they would have the scans and everything, these blogs would cointain the feats and the profiles whotever it scales to, and instead of the profiles linking to scans, gifs and videos directly, they would link to the specific section of the feat in the blog.
This would help fix the link if it gets broken and we wouldn't need to replace hundreds of scans to fix just one verse.
Although, i have no idea what to do about P&A, so i don't know if this is a good idea🤷‍♂️
Well, the problem is that our wiki manager just told me that the Fandom staff likely much prefers if we avoid uploading entire comic book (including manga) pages directly to our wiki.

He also asked a higher ranked Fandom staff member in order to confirm though.

Btw, to ilustrate what i meant

Blog
Banana destroys wall
this scales to: profile, profile
Banana does something
this scales to..........................
And it goes on

Well, the problem is that our wiki manager just told me that the Fandom staff likely much prefers if we avoid uploading entire comic book (including manga) pages directly to our wiki.

Eh, well, sucks i guess

Can't avoid but to find this very scary, if they f*cked up the wording and my Old, Unused content that is tied to user accounts get deleted too then I could lose hundreds of images (and videos) out of the thousands I have. Hope that doesn't happen.

If we’re going to use FANDOM’s image hosting they should improve it. It’s a pain in the ass to upload one single image and you can’t create albums.

Anyway, I don’t mind if we keep using Imgur.
You can upload multiple images at once this way, and it isn't too hard to just make code to neatly organize images in a list format.

Guys, you can't upload everything in the wiki due to copyright. Just create Imgur account and move all pictures to there. Hell, I even use the same method as @Theglassman12 and I save a lot of time.

I just got home from work so i just want to double check

I have an imgur account and everything is set to private. Im safe right?

What happens when "overtly gory" content gets removed even from those accounts?
Usually if those are extremely remarkable violation, your account will get blocked. Tho, you can always appeal in their system to remove ban.

What about novel pages, in-game screenshots, movie screenshots and what have you?

And what about the size limitation? Surely they must realize how much of a hassle that is, right? They seriously need to overhaul their size limits and increase it to at least 25 MB or so to keep up with the times.

Its worst alternative.
Yeah but why?
image.png

Back