• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An Important Notice Regarding Imgur

Okay
I finally succeeded in opening an imgur account
Is there a way to just transfer the former links into my personal album?

Without needing to reupload the images all over again
No, you'd need to upload those images to your imgur account all over again or directly upload them to the wiki.

The folks on the Dev Wiki said scanning for 404'd imgur links is possible. So we will be able to detect it without needing users to notice it and report it.

I just tried creating an account; when you log into Imgur through a third party service, it asks you to provide an Imgur-specific username, and a phone number for verification.

(I say "tried"; it wouldn't let me. It says email sign-ups weren't allowed in my region even when trying to log in through a third-party service)
No, you'd need to upload those images to your imgur account all over again or directly upload them to the wiki.
Maybe it is better to just upload the relevant images directly to our wiki instead in such cases then?

Here is what our wiki manager told me the last time that we spoke:

"I'm not super knowledgeable in the legal side of things. So, when I say this stuff, take it merely as opinion. In my personal opinion, the best answer is the common sense answer, or the gut feeling you get. If you feel what you're doing is dishonest, it's probably a good idea to avoid doing it. As you said in that post, it could bring trouble to users. My biggest question though is why don't you just start uploading your images on fandom itself? If you did so, you would have greater control over how things are sourced, what the source images are and wouldn't have to worry about things, such as the new imgur policy. I understand that you can't go through and re-source the imgur scans, but I would recommend using fandom itself for newer sourcing. Not out of any legal reasons, but because it's simpler and more reliable."

"Howdy. I got an answer from my boss. In regards to what I said up here. Basically, he said that context for the feat is okay so long as it is required to properly source it. Only add as much as you need. Movie screenshots are fine too, and as for novel pages, it's advised that you don't use those. Mr. Lder said we wouldn't take them down unless a copyright claim was made against it, but it is still inadvisable from posting pages from novels."
The folks on the Dev Wiki said scanning for 404'd imgur links is possible. So we will be able to detect it without needing users to notice it and report it.
This is great news. How would it be accomplished in practice?

and as for novel pages, it's advised that you don't use those. Mr. Lder said we wouldn't take them down unless a copyright claim was made against it, but it is still inadvisable from posting pages from novels."
Don't think we'd be able to use entire novel pages anyway, just particular sections of them where the feat is, don't think much more will be necessary beyond that. I use Caliber E-book reader so knowing the page number is already impossible, so I use Snipping Tool to clip the exact part where the feat is, add it to the page and then source the Chapter Number only.

Maybe it is better to just upload the relevant images directly to our wiki instead in such cases then?

Here is what our wiki manager told me the last time that we spoke:

"I'm not super knowledgeable in the legal side of things. So, when I say this stuff, take it merely as opinion. In my personal opinion, the best answer is the common sense answer, or the gut feeling you get. If you feel what you're doing is dishonest, it's probably a good idea to avoid doing it. As you said in that post, it could bring trouble to users. My biggest question though is why don't you just start uploading your images on fandom itself? If you did so, you would have greater control over how things are sourced, what the source images are and wouldn't have to worry about things, such as the new imgur policy. I understand that you can't go through and re-source the imgur scans, but I would recommend using fandom itself for newer sourcing. Not out of any legal reasons, but because it's simpler and more reliable."

"Howdy. I got an answer from my boss. In regards to what I said up here. Basically, he said that context for the feat is okay so long as it is required to properly source it. Only add as much as you need. Movie screenshots are fine too, and as for novel pages, it's advised that you don't use those. Mr. Lder said we wouldn't take them down unless a copyright claim was made against it, but it is still inadvisable from posting pages from novels."

This is great news. How would it be accomplished in practice?
I will add this, thanks for the message.

@Antvasima I think the main concern of the users isn't unrealibility, but the fact that FANDOM is less convenient (no multi-image upload and tiny file size limit, thus no capacity for video or large GIFs).

Last edited:
Okay. I am just suggesting that maybe we should use it when the issues that you just mentioned are not actual problems.

So I added this to the section “Fandom image system"
fb20ecbd11e4744eabdd3dabe371ad6e.png

Okay. I am just suggesting that maybe we should use it when the issues that you just mentioned are not actual problems.
You misunderstand. I was merely pointing out that no one is contesting the reliability of FANDOM files; they have other gripes with it. Personally, I exclusively use the wiki itself for scans, and always have.

So can somebody remind me about what we currently need to do here please?

So about the guidelines, I will add it in editing rules page --> images under this rule

We add a sub list and add this line

And as for instructions, here is the sandbox.
I tried to improve slightly on the structure of your suggested rule text as well:

"We strongly advise creating an account on Imgur before uploading images and gifs. This should be done in order to ensure that your work is securely saved and has a lower risk of being deleted from the website, which can potentially result in broken links."

So is it fine if I publish the contents of ImmortalDread's blog as a regular official instruction page in our wiki, embed a "For further instructions please click here." link to it in the rule text listed above, and inform our community members via highlighted messages in our forum and wiki then? Or do we still have anything left to decide here?

Also, what should we call that page? "Image Uploading Instructions" or "Image Uploading Policies" in order to allow for further relevant instructions regarding such topics to more easily potentially be added later?

In addition, should we add instructions of how to bypass the Imgur ban in certain countries via the most reliable and least dangerous free or paid VPNs, or would that cause potential legal problems or encourage our members to take great personal risks (for Chinese citizens for example)?

And it is very important that all members with Imgur accounts stay publicly anonymous despite hosting our images with them. Should we investigate how this can be accomplished? Signing up with one's personal Facebook or Google accounts sounds dangerous in that regard, for example.
I'd go with "Image Uploading Advice".
So is this what we currently need to do here then? Or is there anything else we need to handle first, such as determine whether or not we should include free VPN instructions?

No, we should not do it. Free VPNs are generally known for lacking and constant inconsistencies with a lot of annoying advertisements.

We should not perhaps to advertise any VPN service for this, there is a reason why countries blocked imgur. If we simply guide people to do illegal activities, it could simply ruin the reputation and perhaps some serious legal action could be taken.

My take on this.

Okay. Never mind then I suppose. However, @KLOL506 seems to have found some form of reasonably reliable VPN service, so maybe we could ask Fandom for the least bad recommendations, to at least help prevent our members and visitors from selecting genuinely dangerous alternatives?

I think the first step would be if we are allowed to do such as that, to avoid some legal issues, and then we can select alternatives?

What do you think.?

No, we should not do it. Free VPNs are generally known for lacking and constant inconsistencies with a lot of annoying advertisements.
WARP is made by the same company that protects various sites on the internet from DDoS attacks, Cloudflare. Without them, none of our sites would be running right now. No ads either.

We should not perhaps to advertise any VPN service for this, there is a reason why countries blocked imgur. If we simply guide people to do illegal activities, it could simply ruin the reputation and perhaps some serious legal action could be taken.

My take on this.
Unlikely, very few countries ban the usage of VPN, and even then law enforcement are unlikely to pursue you for it unless you're leaking state secrets. Users accessing Imgur is likely to be the least of their problems, especially if their excuse for banning it was, say, to prevent people from watching ****, and I can assure you, no one's getting arrested on something that trivial.

And either way, I am entitled of what we should do the first before we allow adding the section of VPN.

Well, the issue to me is more that we need to be careful to only recommend comparatively safe VPN services.

I will ask our wiki manager for input help again.

Apologies if this was already asked, but is Gyazo a viable option? I already have an account there but won't keep a Premium One much longer (the limitations of a free one aren't a big deal on my end I can work with them). Just wanted to know if it causes any trouble for people seeing the images, I had heard it has ads and stuff when showing images on a free account.

Or should I just open an imgur account?

I am pretty sure that my draft includes this alternative if you have checked.

Also for your second question, I assume reading my draft would give you a concrete answer and also a better idea of how it works.

Well, the two Fandom staff members that I talked with told me that it is better to upload our reference images directly to our wiki whenever possible, and then link to them instead, which I also think seems like the best option as long as they are not graphic beyond what Fandom allows.

Please remind me what we currently need to do here. I have many tasks to juggle.

To make this page to an official instruction page and link it to editing rules in the image section
Thank you very much for all of your help. 🙏

@AKM sama @DontTalkDT @Mr._Bambu @DarkDragonMedeus @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Maverick_Zero_X @Crabwhale @Agnaa @Dereck03 @Just_a_Random_Butler

What do you think about this? Does the page in question look acceptable to apply in its current format?

Back