• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Alex Mercer vs Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Electric Boogaloo

XSOULOFCINDERX

They/Them
So like, if Sonic touches Alex he gets yeeted and Sonic would lead with a physical CQC attack. Alex leads with his gas, which has like super far range (the peeps in the replies will say the exact range), and if that touches Sonic, he's basically dead meat.

if Sonic touches Alex he gets yeeted and Sonic would lead with a physical CQC attack.
If the exact thing Sonic leads with is the reason he loses then this is indeed a stomp.

And I've seen the reasonings as to why the OG thread wasn't a stomp, considering I was around when that thread was going on. The reasons were finicky at best.

EDIT: It's not a stomp. I forgot about Sonic's precog/danger sense, and didn't realize it was Adventure Sonic.

Last edited:
If the exact thing Sonic leads with is the reason he loses then this is indeed a stomp.

And I've seen the reasonings as to why the OG thread wasn't a stomp, considering I was around when that thread was going on. The reasons were finicky at best.
Wait... it's a stomp?

Wait... it's a stomp?
The original thread argued that Sonic would ressurect by using the energy of his own soul. (which he indeed can, as shown with the abilities that Sonic is granted from the soul gauge shenanigans, this is basically an interjection of, inherently speaking, ressurection via low-godly regen)

Sonic's current P&A lists a precognitive ability of innate senses, which would help at close combat and Sonic would know the danger of his attacks from a perception perspective

Likewise, Chaos Emeralds are also his standard equipment that he can summon via Hammerspace logic, so he just takes advantage of Chaos Control's teleportation BFR as one of his attempts to incapacitate from the first moments that Sonic sees his conventional attacks aren't going with precision. (Sonic does use space-time warp techniques in-character a lot through respective levels, yadda yadda, Time Break, Speed Break)

Diseases are not even a point of a permanent incapacitation if ressurection is an option, and Sonic is unfazed by chemical exposure. (don't know the validity of listing that as an actual step up resistance)

I don't exactly see the point of the original thread reading through the first comments, AP wise, BOOM, basically.

The fact that the OP is using Adventure Sonic for the match makes it even worse at a glance.

Because basically, Sonic doesn't have time to resort to any of his abilities in exchange of getting instantly killed.

Being infected by the Blacklight Virus doesn’t guarantee death, especially in this key of Alex Mercer. If Sonic gets infected by Mercer’s gasses (which are Disease Manipulation and Biological Manipulation at a molecular level, not Poison Manipulation or Chemicals-based Biological Manipulation that Sonic can merely resist based on his profile), he’s more likely to become a mindless infected under Mercer’s control than he would die from it. After all, what’s the point of Resurrection if a character didn’t die in the first place?
The only hax from Mercer Sonic can die to is Mercer’s Absorption, albeit I haven’t seen a scan of Sonic’s body being brought back from destruction from his resurrection - but even if Sonic is brought back, the Blacklight Virus can be used to infect Sonic anyways.

This matchup being a stomp in Mercer’s favour is a surprise though. So, it’s agreed to be a stomp?

Oh yeah, Sonic's precog probably would make him wary of punching him in the face, and far more likely to use a projectiles like Sonic Boom/Wind, and then use his air manip to dirpers the gas away, just like the last thread people are treating Sonic as if he just punches people with no questions asked

Oh, this is Adventure Era? I didn't realize. That does make Sonic much more limited by comparison. And my bad, I always forget about Sonic's precog lol

Blowing the gasses away would do nothing but further help the civilians in the environment get infected by the gasses. And once that happens, Sonic would have to deal with various Infected beings under Mercer’s control attacking him, including the Evolved (who possesses similar regenerative abilities to Mercer’s own), which Mercer could use to help get Sonic infected once Sonic is distracted enough (or worn down enough, since Precognition like Sonic’s wouldn’t help much if he gets too tired to move or dodge much).

Plus, even if Sonic can blow away the gasses, Mercer can just gas again based on his Prototype 2 desire to get everyone around him infected, including Sonic. And unlike Mercer, Sonic doesn’t have limitless stamina in his base form, so he wouldn’t be able to keep it up forever.

And unlike Mercer, Sonic doesn’t have limitless stamina in his base form, so he wouldn’t be able to keep it up forever.
At THAT point Sonic would try a different approach, especially if he's getting TIRED since that rarely ever happens, but I don't think the fight will ever get to the point where stamina is an issue

So, you agree this is a stomp? Especially since Sonic doesn’t have Resurrection in this key, thus he can’t revive himself once he dies (making him susceptible to Mercer’s Absorption via touch, which extends to not just his hands but also every single one of his tendrils, probably including his Tendril Barrage Devastator that has tendrils that homes in on the target as well)?

Danger sensing-based Precognition wouldn’t help Sonic much in a speed equalised match where an attack follows him wherever he goes after all, especially if all it takes is one touch from those attacks for Alex to absorb Sonic through one of those tendrils and that many of Sonic’s speed buffs in this key requires him to remain stationary for a few moments in order to “charge up” before moving.

Last edited:
That may be the case for Redlight Virus (and Blacklight Virus) in Prototype 1, but Prototype 2 Blacklight Virus are a whole different beast. Those Blackwatch soldiers infected by the tainted Whitelight gasses can speak for themselves. XD

As for the Infected, the only infected that are most likely undead is Alex Mercer himself (hence his Type 7 Immortality), the rest aren’t really the case. In the Blacknet memories on Prototype 2, one of the scientists even explained that the Blacklight Infected citizens (and Walkers) only needed to eat one of the four elements of food (with ordinary humans needing to ingest all four elements of that food or something like that), which is protein/flesh, to sustain themselves. If the Blacklight Infected that aren’t Alex Mercer needs to eat to sustain themselves, then chances are, they’re still kind of “alive” in some way (just with the virus completely messing their systems up) and not truly undead like the sapient-virus-piloting-human-corpse that is Alex Mercer over there. The fact that they are also still connected to the Hivemind means they are scientifically not dead either, since they still have minds to be controlled by Elizabeth Greene or Alex Mercer (since brain death is correlated with actual death clinically). Lol.

Walkers and infected civilians are essentially zombies, which is the majority of the infected population that doesn't just drop dead immediately. If you look like this I can assure you, you are dead (or undead). The rest are immortals.

I mean, Type 2 Immortality are a thing, having a grotesque appearance doesn’t necessarily imply that you are already dead or undead from being infected by a virus that turns you into a zombie in a biological manner. Even regular Hunters are shown to have Type 2 Immortality feats, like in the Prototype comics.

Plus, having a grotesque appearance doesn’t refute that one Prototype 2 scientists who mentioned that the Infected civilians or Walkers sustain themselves by eating one type of components of food (which is protein/flesh). If you are undead, you shouldn’t need to eat in the first place due to food being more of a requirement for the living, which the Infected civilians and Walkers have clearly been stated to do.

Plus, even if Sonic can blow away the gasses, Mercer can just gas again based on his Prototype 2 desire to get everyone around him infected, including Sonic. And unlike Mercer, Sonic doesn’t have limitless stamina in his base form, so he wouldn’t be able to keep it up forever.
Bro, any attack from Sonic insta kills him, he doesn't need to do it forever at all, Sonic uses a range based attack (Sonic Wind, for example) and sees him regenerating, then he uses the Magic Hands to seal him away, or uses Chaos Control to BFR him and the gas into space, etc. You are completely ignoring Sonic's options here
Danger sensing-based Precognition wouldn’t help Sonic much in a speed equalised match where an attack follows him wherever he goes after all, especially if all it takes is one touch from those attacks for Alex to absorb Sonic through one of those tendrils and that many of Sonic’s speed buffs in this key requires him to remain stationary for a few moments in order to “charge up” before moving.
Yes it would, it would stop him from physically hitting him and make him keep his distance, and Sonic has many speed buffs that don't need charge up such as Speed Shoes, Speed Up, and more, and others like the Super Peel Out takes literal seconds to charge up, Sonic will be so fast he would be in blitzing territory, not to mention he wouldn't even be close

I don't see why people are calling this match a stomp, the only way Sonic loses is if he is dumb enough to just charge at him despite him feeling how dangerous he is in his quills, then doing absolutely nothing except wait for death
Blowing the gasses away would do nothing but further help the civilians in the environment get infected by the gasses. And once that happens, Sonic would have to deal with various Infected beings under Mercer’s control attacking him, including the Evolved (who possesses similar regenerative abilities to Mercer’s own), which Mercer could use to help get Sonic infected once Sonic is distracted enough (or worn down enough, since Precognition like Sonic’s wouldn’t help much if he gets too tired to move or dodge much).
Sonic can fight at peak condition for days against an army, he is not going to get tired from fighting a couple fodder, so that's not happening before Sonic decides to take care of em

This is also implying that Sonic's opponent is fine with people being infected (which could be the case, I don't know much about the character), but even then this would only make Sonic angrier and far more focused on taking him down seeing how dangerous he is, making him far more likely to end the fight without playing around and simply BFR/sealing him

As for the Magic Hands, that technique can only be performed by the Magic Gloves, with are Optional Equipment (not Standard Equipment) listed in Sonic's profile. Sonic would not get access to Magic Hands unless the OP explicitly allows the usage for Magic Gloves. Even if he does, the gasses blown away by the wind (or not blown away) would create Evolved, which Sonic will have as much difficulty in taking down due to their regenerative abilities being similar to Mercer's own (and since he can only trap one enemy at a time, he won't be able to trap them with Magic Hands in the meantime), which will eventually have the sphere in Sonic's hand being destroyed either by him throwing it away or one of the Infected breaking it, which will then free Mercer (with his Regeneration and several types of Immortality allowing him to survive the destruction of the sphere and his inhuman physiology to resist getting incapacitated) - not that it matters much since it's optional equipment. Lol.

As for Chaos Control, I have NEVER seen Sonic used that ability in that manner against enemies before in any of the video game iterations before, neither for BFR nor for Sealing when up against Doctor Eggman, Metal Sonic, or others, which implies that it's either out-of-character for him or that he's not capable of it. All of the times I've seen or heard about him using Chaos Control, he did it with a Chaos Emerald (fake or real), not barehanded like what Shadow the Hedgehog did (who has shown to use Chaos Control and other Chaos abilities without even needing to wield a Chaos Emerald). And even then, the most I've seen Sonic used with Chaos Control is for Time Stopping or Time Stopping and not for BFR (which Shadow did to that Meteor in Shadow the Hedgehog video game by teleporting it to outer space) or Sealing (which Blaze was implied to do to Iblis by sealing the entity away into another dimension), and that's with a Chaos Emerald in his hand. Unless I see a scan of Sonic BFRing an opponent to an isolated location and sealing them away to another dimension, the best I can see Sonic do is Time Stopping or Time Slowing temporarily with a Chaos Emerald.

As for the speed buffs, many of those speed amplications such as Speed Shoes, Speed Up, etc. are unquantifiable and have no quantifiable value for how much faster Sonic gets. With how mathematically unquantifiable they are, I don't really take them much into consideration beyond Sonic getting unquantifiable faster - or else by that logic, we can easily assume Mercer gets speed buffs from Absorbing targets as well. Lol.
The only speed buff I see that has a quantifiable is the Super Peel Out 4x speed buff, and that takes moments to charge up. Even a couple of seconds is enough for the gasses or the Tendrils from the Tendril Barrage Devastator to catch up to Sonic and get him either killed or infected.
This is also not even getting into the fact that Mercer wouldn't just be stumbling around inconspicuously, especially with him being used with having the reputation of a terrorist, so he would be shapeshifting into someone else he has absorbed and then observe Sonic at a distance in his disguise in the meanwhile. Mercer isn't that dumb after all.

I haven't seen scans of Sonic being able to fight for days against an army non-stop, so I would like to see that. Though even assuming he can, those are just days Mercer can wait for the right opportunity to strike at a fast opponent like Sonic while he is eventually down - having stamina that can last for days (which I would like to see the scans of) is not the same as limitless stamina after all. By the time Sonic is worn down, he will eventually fall to either the gasses or the Absorption - combine the fact that the Evolved have similar regenerative abilities to Mercer’s own while having comparable Lifting Strength to this key of Sonic, Sonic would actually not have an easy time taking them out with AP alone, especially if the Evolved were to dogpile on Sonic and combine their comparable Lifting Strength together to inconvenience Sonic.

And yes, Alex Mercer is completely fine with people being infected as of Prototype 2 - that's literally what the entire plot of Prototype 2 is about, where Mercer has a goal to infect all of humanity and create a world of infected in his image. In fact, it's the reason why there is even a second outbreak (that occurs in Prototype 2) after the first outbreak is over in Prototype 1.
And again, I have never seen Sonic BFR/Sealing an opponent away before - Sonic isn't Shadow or Blaze, so it's not necessarily logical to say that he can perform the exact same feats as them or that he uses the same tactics as them (especially when all the times Sonic has ever used Chaos Control, he has only done so with a Chaos Emerald that are either a real one or a fake one that still has chaos energy in them). And Mercer will not be standing there and letting Sonic try to get at him once he has Infected beings to sic at Sonic - it's not out-of-character for Mercer to run off and hide somewhere so that he can plan a way to strike back at his adversary in the future, especially when he has done such before, so he would be shapeshifted into someone else and have Sonic essentially getting the equivalent of finding a needle in a haystack when trying to search for Mercer (and with how Sonic's character is like, it's completely out-of-character for him to straight-up attack random civilians or innocents, so he isn't going to be attacking nearby civilians to find which one of them is Mercer either). With Sonic getting distracted by certain Infected such as the Evolved distracting him, it's not going to be difficult for Mercer to hide away under his shapeshifting disguise in the meantime - there's also the fact that the infection would rapidly spread to other populations, especially with Mercer having his Evolved actively spread the infection to others, so Sonic will be dealing with the Infected for quite some time.

Last edited:
I mean, Type 2 Immortality are a thing, having a grotesque appearance doesn’t necessarily imply that you are already dead or undead from being infected by a virus that turns you into a zombie in a biological manner. Even regular Hunters are shown to have Type 2 Immortality feats, like in the Prototype comics.

Plus, having a grotesque appearance doesn’t refute that one Prototype 2 scientists who mentioned that the Infected civilians or Walkers sustain themselves by eating one type of components of food (which is protein/flesh). If you are undead, you shouldn’t need to eat in the first place due to food being more of a requirement for the living, which the Infected civilians and Walkers have clearly been stated to do.
Bro zombies eat in literally every fictional literature and they're not alive. By your logic since zombies traditionally eat brains all zombies are alive since only living things require sustenance.

Stamina shouldn't even be a factor here. The match isn't going to last that long for many reasons. Not sure about Mercer, but Sonic isn't gonna let a fight drag out that long. It's nonsensical to assume that Sonic would fight for literal days, to the point of getting tired, without using his wincons at that point. Especially since this is Adventure Sonic, who's arsenal is far more limited which makes him using means of incap more likely.

Back