• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Agreeing and Disagreeing in Content Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think about this?
FRA'ing stuff has always been a problem, but the issue is ultimately circumstantial. Sometimes you truly just cannot add anything to the OP for example.

If someone wants to do a recount that's fine, buy unless we say every vote without a reasoning is no longer valid I don't know exactly what to do.

Okay. Should we close this thread then, or do you have something to add, @Robo ?

However, I do think that it is a serious problem if a thread genuinely needs more in-depth evaluations from our staff, and a brief agree or disagree is all that is provided, and it is counted the same way as the staff members who made a genuine effort.

However, I do think that it is a serious problem if a thread genuinely needs more in-depth evaluations from our staff, and a brief agree or disagree is all that is provided, and it is counted the same way as the staff members who made a genuine effort.
"Agree with a thread" has always been seen as something that doesn't need any elaboration or reasoning because the OP already provides that, but the reason for "Disagree" does when there is no counter arguments has been provided. So it is an issue to agree and disagree w/o knowing the counter arguements indeed.

We have 48 hrs of grace period "before applying the changes of proposed CRT ever since the time thread has been created", can't we just reserve 12 hrs from those 48 hrs for the arguemention in which everyone should be advised to not "Agree or Disagree" or else they would need to reconfirm their votes after 12 hrs of reserved time in case counter arguments has been made for their votes to be considered valid?

The 12hrs seems wrong, in the sense that some people do not even have time to check the wiki regularly or just check it during the weekend, so saying we should wait 12hrs to wait for counterarguments is really not helpful unless everyone works on the same time which we do not.

Well my take is that, normal users can vote FRA provided there is valid reasons above, but staffs should make a statement or sentence on what they agree on or why they are agreeing, so if there was a case of that point they agree with getting debunked, the staff can be called back to re-evaluate their vote.

Well, I was mostly thinking about that if a list of suggestions or feats with linked evidence has been provided, it is much preferable when our staff members have the time and interest to look at them one by one. For most revision threads this is likely not necessary, but sometimes they are considerably more complicated, and it goes for both agreements and disagreements with what has been suggested.

Personally, I try to give my vote with at least some commentary on the reasoning being presented. It would be preferable but not mandatory that more context is given on a staff's vote and why.

"Agree with a thread" has always been seen as something that doesn't need any elaboration or reasoning because the OP already provides that, but the reason for "Disagree" does when there is no counter arguments has been provided. So it is an issue to agree and disagree w/o knowing the counter arguements indeed.

We have 48 hrs of grace period "before applying the changes of proposed CRT ever since the time thread has been created", can't we just reserve 12 hrs from those 48 hrs for the arguemention in which everyone should be advised to not "Agree or Disagree" or else they would need to reconfirm their votes after 12 hrs of reserved time in case counter arguments has been made for their votes to be considered valid?
I honestly don't see the need. This needlessly complicates things even further. Just leave the grace period as it is and allow as many staff is needed to greenlight a revision.

Sorry to comment here, but I really agree with this, you need to give arguments to disagree and agree with CRT or anything like that, many times this happened in some CRT here, I think we should evaluate the comments that have arguments disagreeing and agreeing.

FRA'ing stuff has always been a problem, but the issue is ultimately circumstantial. Sometimes you truly just cannot add anything to the OP for example.
That and you could always be beat to the punch. Maybe you were typing up a big-ass paragraph but someone else did the same thing as you, only faster.

Considering that I have argued comparatively peacefully and rationally, despite being stressed out while enduring repeated vicious emotion-appealing gang-up attacks, I obviously do not think that is a fair assessment at all, and I would appreciate if our staff members avoid taking random off-topic potshots at me. Thank you.

If you have a problem with me, please send me a PM instead to talk it out, as I have offered you to do previously.
I'm going to politely request you to stop taking innocent jokes too seriously, right now. This is not a potshot, and you should have the forethought at minimum to understand this.

I will not understand how you take a few words like the ones I said so erroneously in a direction that assumes I'm making a negative comment on your character when we have a PM open for me to discuss issues, as you've stated.

Kindly, take your own advice instead of making assumptions on my character. Thank you, Ant.

Considering that I have argued comparatively peacefully and rationally, despite being stressed out while enduring repeated vicious emotion-appealing gang-up attacks, I obviously do not think that is a fair assessment at all, and I would appreciate if our staff members avoid taking random off-topic potshots at me. Thank you.

If you have a problem with me, please send me a PM instead to talk it out, as I have offered you to do previously.
brother I don't think that was a serious attack but just a jest

skeleton-dance.gif

Premise, I haven't read all the other comments, so please let me know if I'm missing something important.

Anyway, there shouldn't be any necessity to wait for counter arguments, sometimes there just isn't any.
On the other hand, I've always went by the non-written rule that I agree's shouldn't be counted if a counter argument is presented after them, usually those users are contacted again after such counter-arguments have been discussed.

If a post is well-worded and well-formatted, and it argues in favor of something that supporters of a verse are inclined to agree with, there is always going to be a somewhat significant amount of "agrees" offered with little to no scrutiny of the actual reasoning and evidence involved. In my practical experience, however, these votes never end up being decisive if the staff comes in and sees that the argument is clearly flawed.

I don't think the issue is prudent enough to warrant a new rule unto itself.

I'm going to politely request you to stop taking innocent jokes too seriously, right now. This is not a potshot, and you should have the forethought at minimum to understand this.

I will not understand how you take a few words like the ones I said so erroneously in a direction that assumes I'm making a negative comment on your character when we have a PM open for me to discuss issues, as you've stated.

Kindly, take your own advice instead of making assumptions on my character. Thank you, Ant.
Okay. I apologise then. I thought that you were serious about me supposedly being a shoot first ask questions later and there is no kill like overkill kind of person.

brother I don't think that was a serious attack but just a jest

skeleton-dance.gif
Well, there was a connected YouTube video of a gun maniac who promoted gunning down anyone who entered his property with an uzi as "self-defence", if I remember correctly, so I misunderstood the intent. I do not have good automatic social intuition at all.

If a post is well-worded and well-formatted, and it argues in favor of something that supporters of a verse are inclined to agree with, there is always going to be a somewhat significant amount of "agrees" offered with little to no scrutiny of the actual reasoning and evidence involved. In my practical experience, however, these votes never end up being decisive if the staff comes in and sees that the argument is clearly flawed.

I don't think the issue is prudent enough to warrant a new rule unto itself.
I largely agree with this, with no pun intended.

Well, there was a connected YouTube video of a gun maniac who promoted gunning down anyone who entered his property with an uzi as "self-defence", if I remember correctly, so I misunderstood the intent. I do not have good automatic social intuition at all.
I don't mean to sound rude, but WHAT THE **** ANT

Eh? I meant that Abstractions quoted a post with that content when making that comment about me (but I deleted it afterwards), so I misunderstood the intentions. Why are you getting upset at me about that?

Eh? I meant that Abstractions quoted a post with that content when making that comment about me (but I deleted it afterwards), so I misunderstood the intentions. Why are you getting upset at me about that?
Apologies for not elaborating, I'm just more so startled as to why you would just look up a video of a guy gunning down people in his doorway with an Uzi of all things, that's all.

Oh. I didn't. It was posted here in this thread, and the guy in the video was so over the top crazy that comparing him to me seemed like a massive exaggeration.

However, again, I am literally mentally disabled in the social intuition area, but I am trying my best to do my job and function anyway.

Also, the guy didn't gun people down. He "just" claimed that he would do so under the described circumstances.

Oh. I didn't. It was posted here in this thread, and the guy in the video was so over the top crazy that comparing him to me seemed like a massive exaggeration. However, again, I am literally mentally disabled in the social intuition area, but I am trying my best to do my job and function anyway.
You mean Sam Hyde? The guy with the machine gun? He's a comedian, pretty famous meme of being turned into a hoax terrorist.

BTW, that was a Sten gun, not a Uzi. But anyway, derailing aside, his videos are 100% satire.

Anyway, in case I haven't made myself clear, this really needs no rule TBF. As long as people specify for whose reasonings they're agreeing to with some details here and there (Since you can always reach a point where you just can't add to OP any further or you were about to answer yourself but someone beat you to the punch), it really wouldn't be a problem. Not like it'll matter anyway since without staff approval your CRT is as good as dead.

This is a pointless thread. We already don't just take waves of agreement or disagreement into account anyway and a member reserves their right to just agree without anticipating a rebuttal.

At most, CRT posters can just make a habit of linking arguments and counterarguments and pinging the members who voted to go over them.

I thought the thread is closed long ago, why it is still being discussed?

Well, this concerned an official wiki policy change, and those threads actually should go into our staff forum.
I recommended that he seek expert opinions before proceeding with the creation of an unorganized thread.

Y'all do understand votes don't matter for CRT's right? They are opinions. I thought this was for VS threads but it's apparently addressed for CRTs. I've seen 20-2 threads not go through by the will of god.

I try to read a thread thoroughly before agreeing or disagreeing; unless I was talking about it offsite and/or on DMs. Though I may agree that some time for counterarguments may wish to be made before applying some controversial upgrades and/or downgrades. Though some downgrades/upgrades are pretty face value such as downgrading someone from 8-C to 9-A via former being dependent on an outdated calculation that is 9-A now; example being the vaporization standards.

I'd say it's case by case, the more controversial the verse or characters in question are, the more mandatory counter arguments and taking time for staff to look over both sides is. If I haven't actually read the content revision, I will usually say I need more time to look over or say I'm neutral for now, but may mention a leaning side one way or the other.

Y'all do understand votes don't matter for CRT's right? They are opinions. I thought this was for VS threads but it's apparently addressed for CRTs. I've seen 20-2 threads not go through by the will of god.
As I mentioned earlier, although they possess value, they do not significantly affect the outcome of the thread.

I think this is more of a common sense thing, if someone comes into the thread and gives a lackluster post/evaluation then their word won't have much impact on the outcome of the thread.
"Common sense is subjective" - random person in the universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back