• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Toad and Toadette's Gender...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been a thing I've wanted to bring up for a while. Nothing or no one has ever actually stated Toads are sexless or genderless. This was a largely exaggerated interpretation of the words of a programmer for Mario games who wasn't even working on the series till Sunshine , long after Toads as a concept and characters were created. Here's the supposed interview in question.

Notice how the part about Toads outright being genderless comes only from the words of the publisher of the article and the quoted part from Hayashida only states that "we never really went out of our way to decide on the sex of these characters, even though they have somewhat gendered appearances", which neither says they're genderless nor comes from a reliable word of god source given he's only a programmer for a lot of his works and a director only long after the world has been established. It doesnt help that he was saying this in reference to Captain Toad and Toadette who've had long established identities before he made a game giving the two a starring role. I personally think that what he meant by what he said was merely that when designing their outfits and roles in the game, he never considered sex as a factor, despite their gendered appearances.

On top of this, plenty of Mario games use gendered pronouns when referring to Toad and Toadette , and they still largely reproduce in the form of couples of opposite sexes, as shown by the Toad families in Super Mario RPG.

As far as changing Toad goes, I'd say it "varies based on specific characters in the general species, but is typically male"

Toadette would of course change to "female" since her character is more specific and less varied than the general "Toad" species

Seems alright, though I'm just a normal person. I think you need to add some topics and message some staff though.

KRae47 said:
Seems alright, though I'm just a normal person. I think you need to add some topics and message some staff though.
Right, thanks for the pointer! Should I message mods or Mario supporters in the staff in general?

I mean do both if you can, though you're better off messaging someone active right now if you want some quick changes. Just go to Recent Changes and see which coloured name is posting a lot in the last few minutes and message them.

This seems fine and uncontroversial to apply for me as well.

I would also like to point out that in BiS, the Toads have shown to be actual parents with their own children. With the son calling them mom and dad.

Is somebody willing to perform these revisions?

Thank you. I will close this thread then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back