• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About restricting Standard Equipment

Okay, I'm making this thread because is this even allowed?

Some characters only get abilites from equipment and restricting abilities is completely against the rules as well

Also, let's say I do this

I make Eric LeBlanc vs Saitama with both at 9-B

I remove all of Eric's equipment and only give him his fists

Would that even be allowed? Not only does he lose pretty much all of his haxs but he doesn't have any of his weapons that he carries around a lot

It shouldn't be a thing to remove Standard Equipment, since that's integral part of the character as much as their abilities and powers are.

But Optional Equipment is a different story, you're not even given it unless specified.

And looking at Eric's profile, most of those look like they should be in his Optional Equipment, but I don't know the verse so I might be wrong.

Oh hey I wrote this page

Anyways, as I understood it, Standard Equipment was just what people get if it's not specified at all. You can still restrict things, like I don't have to give The Number Ma a sniper rifle in every single fight he is in. Adeptus Astartes have their equipment restricted all the time, in fact it's actively encouraged.

If the fight is still fair with equipment restricted it's still fair. Things can still be mismatches though. I can't imagine that fights with Khepri would go very well without her Standard Equipment, for instance.

If Eric LeBlanc is a game character it's more likely that he doesn't have standard equipment and everything is optional, from the minute or so of googling I've done.

Most of his powers are completely Standard, they are all over the island and all of his weapons come from weapons that he either made in game or he found somewhere in game or are important in game

Stalker Maggot said:
Most of his powers are completely Standard, they are all over the island and all of his weapons come from weapons that he either made in game or he found somewhere in game or are important in game
This sounds like the opposite of standard, if he has to find and make them first...

I mean, there are characters who usually carry around a bunch of weapons, but have occasions where they're completely unarmed. And some people might want to recreate scenarios like that.

This sounds like the opposite of standard, if he has to find and make them first...

All of these items are completely important in game and most of them are important to the plot too

Heck, you have to even use most of the items in game in order to actually survive

That doesn't make them standard equipment though. Importance isn't relevant, it's if they're going to be expected to have them on their person at all or close to all times.

So are we just saying that because you have to do something in order to get a item makes it Optional Equipment?

You need these items in game to actually get far in the game and to progress

If you don't use these items, you'll die in like a few days

I just want to lay down what I think before I go to class.

I disagree with removing standard equipment since many characters are completely reliant on equipment to do anything at all. The Terrarian without equipment is literally just some guy. Bayonetta without her equipment would be forced to punch you for the most part (she can time slow but other than that it's just punches and kicks). The Dovahkiin losses his only important abilities if you remove daedric artifacts. Tony Stark with his suit but without the suit's weapons is also possible under our rules. If you need to restrict standard equipment to make a match fair, then match wasn't fair in the first place.

Now there are a few characters with zero in character weapons that have a crap ton of weapons, but I don't you should restrict or not give them the other weapons. Instead just explain which weapons they are starting with so they can still change weapons if the ones they start with do jack all.

Because I can throw a melee based Terrarian against a person with passive death hax that effects 20 feet around them. In any other scenario the Terrarian would just pull out a gun and shoot that person, but if force him to only have melee weapons then I literally threw the Terrarian into a loss as he would have no chose but to run into passive death. (A good example would be when someone threw a werewolf Dovahkiin vs Geralt; in any other scenario it would have meant jack due to weird plot shenanigans the elder scrolls has, but since the op forced him to be a werewolf Geralt just stabbed him with a silver sword (Geralt didn't actually win that match but that was due to how Witcher and the Elder Scrolls treat werewolves rather than the op)).

Really, if we can make speedsters fight with speed equalized, we should be able to restrict anything. Just don't add it to the profiles.

I think it really depends on the character; there are plenty of characters who do well on their own without weapons. But for characters who are like almost entirely dependent on their weapons, I'd say yes. A lot of characters on the other hand don't really have standard equipment but just a big bunch of optional equipment.

InfiniteSped said:
Really, if we can make speedsters fight with speed equalized, we should be able to restrict anything. Just don't add it to the profiles.
I'm going to class very soon. I just want to say before I go; I have also criticized matches like that. If the characters entire fighting style is based off speed and then you throw them against someone vastly stronger and equalize speed that was just a terrible match. It reminds me of when someone threw CW flash vs Ryu from street fighter. Flash just got the shit kicked out of him and the match just faded away as a mismatch.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I think it really depends on the character; there are plenty of characters who do well on their own without weapons. But for characters who are like almost entirely dependent on their weapons, I'd say yes. A lot of characters on the other hand don't really have standard equipment but just a big bunch of optional equipment.
I'm late on this but for someone like Eric, he's very dependent on his Equipment to the point were you can't even beat the game without Equipment

I agree that restricting standard equipment is fine

As long as it doesn't make the match a stomp there isn't really an issue

I don't agree, a lot of characters rely on their equipment heavily to have it restricted in any fight not to mention it goes against the rule of characters not having their full power or abilities in a fight:

Matches that are arranged this way should not be added to the character profiles, as they don't involve their full potential,

I'd like to point of something

Let's say if a character only uses Guns in combat and we suddenly force them to not use their guns when that's their main fight style. Would that even be allowed?

And let's say that I wanted to make Spider-Man vs Some random character and I remove Spider-Man's web shooters or I make Sans vs some random guy and I restrict his Bones. Why would this be able to get added when that's not only removing a ability but that's also removing Equipment that the characters use a lot?

Just a heads up, a lot of characters don't technically have anything considered standard equipment, but just a bunch of things that are considered optional equipment. I personally think it's fine for some Final Fantasy characters to fight barehanded, because barehanded monks eventually become stronger than the Ultima Weapon in various games. And Doomguy is often still very strong even without any of his guns, especially Doomslayer; who's easily stronger than even his strongest weapons. So it's fine for him to fight barehanded.

Back