• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Tale of Crossing Over Canons

Status
Not open for further replies.
These people on the thread are doing exactly what I said not to. Want to scale any universe from any crossover.

If a crossover is undoubtedly canon and its showings don't severely contradict characters' power levels, then I am completely fine with using them. However I think they should be exceptions not norms, since most fighting related crossovers tend to lead to nonsensical ratings. I agree that saying all crossovers are like this and refusing to do this case by case is silly though,

I'm going to have to agree with Saikou. Any crossover that can be treated as having a shared universe should be considered canon. Anything that works like a one-off like the Toriko x One Piece x Dragon Ball crossover should not be canon.

That being said, Kamen Rider x Sentai will be a scaling nightmare thanks to Super Hero Taisen.

Well, in Scribblenauts we kinda already scale Unmasked Maxwell to the New 52 Justice League so..........

eh?

The fights in JLA/Avengers are mostly consistent then. The only real bad scaling is probably Batman and Captain Atom releated.

Sir Ovens said:
I'm going to have to agree with Saikou. Any crossover that can be treated as having a shared universe should be considered canon. Anything that works like a one-off like the Toriko x One Piece x Dragon Ball crossover should not be canon.
That being said, Kamen Rider x Sentai will be a scaling nightmare thanks to Super Hero Taisen.
(Technically One Piece and Toriko have crossed over twice kek)

Maxwell is a ... Weird case. He can summon [ random examples ] : Cosmic Armour ( Albeit that was implied to be a hack... Though he still can do it ) , Eclipso , Father Time , Mother Box , Phantom Stranger , Spectre , Timothy Hunter , Books of Magic , and the Dreamstone. Then Castlevania's Alucard , Nintendo and a few more.

Also I agree with the majority.

Gotta love the part where they all start beating up Superman, to the point that Hercules mace starts BREAKING, and at best they just kinda knock the wind out of him. Even after he managed to beat down Thor.

Wonder if that was an editorial mandate.

Yeah that crossover deconstructs a lot of the darker parts of Marvel by contrasting them with the, at the time, much more idealized, mythical DC heroes.

So... About Shaggy and Scooby again, they will receive power ups then, a lot of them

The same with Jimmy Neutron, who was able to stalemate a Crocker who was defeating a bunch of fairies, which are low 2-C

CursedGentleman said:
So... About Shaggy and Scooby again, they will receive power ups then, a lot of them

The same with Jimmy Neutron, who was able to stalemate a Crocker who was defeating a bunch of fairies, which are low 2-C
No. That is a HUGE outlier.

And we need a page for Shirley who is a crossover only character who merged two universes (Jimmy Neutron Universe and Fairly Odd Parents)

CursedGentleman said:
Which one you are talking about?
Well, Jimmy going from 5-B to low 2-C or even 3-A is an insanely huge outlier. And from the way they were described, I'd expect Shaggy/Scooby's powerups to be outliers as well.

I agree with using case by case scenarios. Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive are definitely the same universe; as Akame is also a the Deuteragonist of Razor's Edge. That's one on the list. Final Fight and Street Fighter are already established as the same universe and Mike Haggar should scale to Hugo who in turn scales to other Street Fighter characters. Another Crossover I have in my mind is Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team. It is canonically the 4th game in the Battletoads franchise; though not sure if it's canon to Double Dragon.

I think that you have a good point about some crossovers being canon to the franchises, but as you also pointed out with your Dissidia example, the more prominent problem is that they still tend to rescale the characters to each other, even if it makes very limited sense.

I am very concerned that this will be used to upgrade a lot of franchises that do not remotely have comparable feats of their own to whatever level the fictions that they have crossed over with have, which would turn our ratings more unreliable than currently, and that is a potential development that I am averse to.

I wish that you would have discussed this matter with me in private first rather than introduced it while I was asleep.

I posted it to everyone because I don't feel this is something you should decide on your own. I had long talked with people about this, and everyone was unsatisfied with the way we treat crossovers so unfairly.

The unreliability argument is just a slippery slope. If reasonable standards, logic, and common sense are applied you won't see some characters get massive upgrades out of nowhere.

This does not, however, mean that no upgrade through crossover can ever happen. Some are already applied.

As always the main drawback with a change like this is extra strain on staff, potentially having to look through more threads of faulty logic, this time based on crossovers.

I'm still for this change, but I'm just a regular member, the extra staff work needed won't really affect me. Maybe a staff-only thread would be in order?

Well, we would still need some kind of modified guideline that explains that even canon crossovers recurrently, but not always, rescale characters to each other, and that they have to be evaluated in a very careful manner. Otherwise the results of this revision could easily get out of control, as not all examples are as blatant and extreme as Dissidia.

Thank you, the number of times had to explain to people that Freddy vs Jason is indeed Canon to their respective verses is ughhh

Well, Jimmy going from 5-B to low 2-C or even 3-A is an insanely huge outlier. And from the way they were described, I'd expect Shaggy/Scooby's powerups to be outliers as well.

Is not really an outlier,is just that Shaggy,Scooby got a bunch of powers in these comics. Besides,the characters are from the Super Friends version,and I have no idea how strong the characters from that verse are

Shadowbokunohero said:
Thank you, the number of times had to explain to people that Freddy vs Jason is indeed Canon to their respective verses is ughhh
It nothing else I don't get why people say its non-canon to Jason when it explains how Jason X could even be possible after Jason was sent to hell in Part IX.

I dunno if anyone's already mentioned this but Dr Who has a TON of crossovers with other fictions. For example The Doctor mentions meeting a Von Doom and Van Dyn in the comics, sends Death's Head to the 616 reality, leaves stuff behind for Reed Richards, superheroes exist in the Land of Fiction, and Spider-Man was seen in the Glory. This also discounts the Ninth Doctor and Rose being seen in one of the Buffy comics as well as a few other crossovers as well as Eragon hinting quite heavily to the Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back