• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Small Discussion on Maou Gakuin Resistances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm aware, thats my point. The Source without a mind/soul is said to be devoid of life, whereas normal Sources have them.
It is not. Anos already says Ingal revives the dead by restoring the soul or if you look deeper the source as long as the source exists, if the soul were to perish, it can be regenerated. If the source has no life without a mind or soul, how are they thinking and regenerating their soul with only the source. You're the one contradicting yourself here.

Okay, but the scans you posted are contradicting that. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The scans don't support the Source being capable of the function of a mind and soul by itself. The Source appears to exist independently of them, but without them it is devoid of life/non-functional. So whatever the Source is, it is not capable of replacing them.

What scan is this from?
The scan that got it accepted in the WN. You're ignoring instances were two of these things exist at once

If the source has no life without a mind or soul, how are they thinking and regenerating their soul with only the source. You're the one contradicting yourself here.
No, I'm not contradicting myself. I am explaining what the evidence has supported. Your own scans are what is advocating for this. The fact that it contradicts other evidence doesn't change what those scans say.

The scan that got it accepted in the WN.
I'm not asking for a description of the scan. I am telling you to post it.

Okay, but the scans you posted are contradicting that. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The scans don't support the Source being capable of the function of a mind and soul by itself. The Source appears to exist independently of them, but without them it is devoid of life/non-functional. So whatever the Source is, it is not capable of replacing them.

What scan is this from?
It's definitely not like that, I think you're misinterpreting it.
The sources are not "dead" because they have no life or conscience, but because they are not people, everyone is born with a source, if the source is destroyed, the person/source is dead, but Anos creates a source without a real owner, there is no person who was created with the source or who was born with it, therefore it is a lifeless source.

It's definitely not like that, I think you're misinterpreting it.
The sources are not "dead" because they have no life or conscience, but because they are not people, everyone is born with a source, if the source is destroyed, the person/source is dead, but Arnos creates a source without a real owner, there is no person who was created with the source or who was born with it, therefore it is a lifeless source.
That doesn't appear to be what is said. I don't agree with this interpretation of the scan.

Source exists deeper than body, mind, soul, feelings, etc. All individuals are born with a source, the source has a person's memories, personality and consciousness, which makes him alive.
A source that does not have life (like the one Anos created), was not "created" at someone's birth, and something that does not have consciousness or life, does not have a person who depends on that source to live, that's why it is considered a lifeless source.
If body, mind and soul are destroyed, the source still has life, that's why Anos says he didn't die even after being "killed" by the God of Time.

That doesn't appear to be what is said. I don't agree with this interpretation of the scan.
So you are basically saying that if the body is destroyed (which would result in the destruction of the mind) it would be a source without consciousness or life? So I'm curious to know why people don't die even when there's only the source left, or how the characters manage to heal even if there's only the source left, since they shouldn't have consciousness or life.

When did I say that?
If "my interpretation" is wrong, that's the same thing as saying that, because I said that the source contains consciousness, memories, feelings, and so on.
If a person was born with a source, the source has a person's life, thoughts, feelings, memories, and so on.
If a font is created without even having someone to have those thoughts, memories, feelings, it will be a lifeless font, it's quite simple actually.

No, I'm not contradicting myself. I am explaining what the evidence has supported. Your own scans are what is advocating for this. The fact that it contradicts other evidence doesn't change what those scans say.

I'm not asking for a description of the scan. I am telling you to post it.
Scan 1 (Source definition): is separate from mind body and soul and independent from them.

Scan 2: the source performing the job of the mind body and soul.

I'll do you one better actually. Ennesuone existing without a soul and still she is alive, her source is there.
"This child, Ennesuone, is the new order that Militia has entrusted to me. She must have wished to be born by the authority of Wenzel, the god of birth."
"I'm not certain if it has anything to do with it, but Ennesuone is only born incomplete. There is something she is missing. I am sure that Militia knew what it was. And perhaps--"

"Ennesuone herself must have known it?"

Wenzel nods.

"It was also Ennesuone who knew that you would eventually head for the Azure Sky of the Gods. That would be the word that Militia entrusted to her. If she could be born, even imperfectly, surely she would remember Militia's message perfectly."
-WN Chapter 402.​

"What other reason could there be for Ennesuone not to be born?"

"There is only one left. She was deprived of what she needed to be born."

Wenzel replies.

Hm. I've already heard that. A mindless puppet, a vessel without magic, a soul without a body."
-WN Chapter 403​
The one of Anos incapacitated mind is something I need to translate since I can't find it anywhere else. So I'll need time

I think using something simpler would be better.
Let's say a living person has a body, mind and soul, that person gets shot, the body will stay dead and will rot, but the soul lives on and even has the person's mind/consciousness, even though the body has no life ( the person is not alive like us for example), the soul continues to have thoughts, memories, consciousness, and so on, making the soul a "living" person. (this would be a font that has life)
A lifeless font, I don't even need to give an example, just think of the lifeless font as a Zomnie, it has no thoughts, memories, feelings, consciousness or life.

If it were to be understood the other way around, Arnos would not be able to resurrect himself, or he would not have consciousness/life after the destruction of his body/mind, which he maintains, which is why he is able to regenerate with only his source, in addition to his own say that he does not die when he is dead (in case, when his body and mind are destroyed, he does not die because his source remains).

Scan 1 (Source definition): is separate from mind body and soul and independent from them.

Scan 2: the source performing the job of the mind body and soul.
Scan 2 doesn't show the Source performing those jobs. It demonstrates that the Source is something that can have those things, or not have those things.

I feel we've discussed this to the full extent that I am willing. I'm sorry that we do not agree on the matter, but it seems very clear to me from your scans that despite the statement that the Source is separate from the mind and soul, it does not function as a replacement for them. Rather, they are components that a Source can potentially have or not have.

For the purposes of this CRT, I do not agree with resistance to mind manipulation on the basis that there is a Source-Mind and regular mind and that this somehow confers resistance to mind manip abilities (beyond the very limited aspect of memories), and while I agree that beings will not die from having their souls destroyed, I do not see this extending to other forms of resistance to soul manipulation.

So Fuji mark me as an agree. Are there any staff you'd like me to ping for this?

Glass and Elizhaa frequently evaluate MG threads, so I would call them, or anyone else who is knowledgeable on our standards for mind/soul manipulation.

I'll post a tally of staff votes when I'm home.

PpI feel we've discussed this to the full extent that I am willing. I'm sorry that we do not agree on the matter, but it seems very clear to me from your scans that despite the statement that the Source is separate from the mind and soul, it does not function as a replacement for them. Rather, they are components that a Source can potentially have or not have.
Deagonx, not this again. The thread has just over 60 messages.
For the purposes of this CRT, I do not agree with resistance to mind manipulation on the basis that there is a Source-Mind and regular mind and that this somehow confers resistance to mind manip abilities (beyond the very limited aspect of memories), and while I agree that beings will not die from having their souls destroyed, I do not see this extending to other forms of resistance to soul manipulation.
Might I add that with this you are actually against the CRT? If the soul and mind is inside the source how will you affect them without affecting the source? This is one of the reasons for the unconventional resistance. Affecting the mind and soul requires affecting the source and they resist conceptual manipulation. So you in fact don't agree with this thread and actually disagree.
Funny enough, I didn't bait you into this conclusion. So congratulations you played yourself.

Now, before I prepare to absolutely refute your claims, you say that from the evidence I've provided that for a source to have life, it requires the mind and soul to be inside or created along with it right?

In addition to the fact that you didn't address the character that existed perfectly alive without a soul in addition to the Gods that don't have a mind, your take remains as I've pointed out above?

Take this conjecture. A random bottle of water. The bottle is the body, the water is the mind and soul, the atoms of the water is the source.
To get to the source, you need to look deeper than the mind and soul but if the source contains the mind and soul, how do you look deeper than them to get to the source? You would naturally encounter the source before getting to the mind and soul if it contains them but the source infact exists deeper than these things. So do the atoms now contain water because they can function like water?

Now moving on from that and still sticking to your decision that "for a source to have life, it needs to contain a mind and soul". What if I tell you that there are 3 types of pseudo sources? Those being a source mind, a source soul and the final one being a source body?
Why do you usually only replicate pseudo-origins that have magic, mind, body, one or both?

"... Because if you create the three copies of the source, it will become life with consciousness"
So you mean to also tell me the source contains the body when the body is outside the source? No, forget the implications of your stance all together. Take notice of the fact that whenever a source mind, source body, source soul is created, it is always referenced as a pseudo source or source (x) yet they have talked about the body, mind and soul without ever calling it the source or a pseudo source.

Last edited:
By containing them. At least, thats what your scans say. Without them, it appears that the Source is devoid of life.
I mean even if we assume that this holds true, the characters would still get a degree of unconventional resistance, as to affect the soul and mind, you would need to bypass or affect the source, which means affecting or bypassing a concept, which is something we grant unconventional resistance for.

I mean even if we assume that this holds true, the characters would still get a degree of unconventional resistance, as to affect the soul and mind, you would need to bypass or affect the source, which means affecting or bypassing a concept, which is something we grant unconventional resistance for.
Hey buddy, mind addressing this?

Might I add that with this you are actually against the CRT? If the soul and mind is inside the source how will you affect them without affecting the source? This is one of the reasons for the unconventional resistance. Affecting the mind and soul requires affecting the source and they resist conceptual manipulation. So you in fact don't agree with this thread and actually disagree.
Funny enough, I didn't bait you into this conclusion. So congratulations you played yourself.

Now, before I prepare to absolutely refute your claims, you say that from the evidence I've provided that for a source to have life, it requires the mind and soul to be inside or created along with it right?

In addition to the fact that you didn't address the character that existed perfectly alive without a soul in addition to the Gods that don't have a mind, your take remains as I've pointed out above?

Take this conjecture. A random bottle of water. The bottle is the body, the water is the mind and soul, the atoms of the water is the source.
To get to the source, you need to look deeper than the mind and soul but if the source contains the mind and soul, how do you look deeper than them to get to the source? You would naturally encounter the source before getting to the mind and soul if it contains them but the source infact exists deeper than these things. So do the atoms now contain water because they can function like water?

Now moving on from that and still sticking to your decision that "for a source to have life, it needs to contain a mind and soul". What if I tell you that there are 3 types of pseudo sources? Those being a source mind, a source soul and the final one being a source body?

So you mean to also tell me the source contains the body when the body is outside the source? No, forget the implications of your stance all together. Take notice of the fact that whenever a source mind, source body, source soul is created, it is always referenced as a pseudo source or source (x) yet they have talked about the body, mind and soul without ever calling it the source or a pseudo source.

If the source exists deeper than the soul, meaning the soul isn’t remotely a part of it, I don’t see why that would give them unconventional resistance to soul hax. So count me in for removing that resistance as it never made much sense to me.

They have unconventional resistance because the soul and mind is of no consequence to them. Destroy rhose things, they don't care, they'll continue to strive with the source alone not to mention the source itself is capable of performing the function of those aspects.

The source can be distinguished into 3 parts. A source body, a source mind/heart, a source soul.

Deagonx has contradicted himself. He stands firm from the scans I sent that the soul & mind is inside the source and he forms his reasoning of removal of unconventional resistance on these basis.
If the soul and mind is inside the source, you naturally have to affect the source to affect the soul and mind and this is the definition of unconventional resistance. Needing to affect a different aspect to influence the other but they resist alteration to this aspect itself

Of course he called the person who agrees to any MGK downgrade
If the source exists deeper than the soul, meaning the soul isn’t remotely a part of it, I don’t see why that would give them unconventional resistance to soul hax. So count me in for removing that resistance as it never made much sense to me.
What are you talking about? Who is saying that the soul is not part of the source? Everything is part of the source, the source just doesn't depend on it to exist (which still gives unconventional resistance).

Of course he called the person who agrees to any MGK downgrade
Unnecessary
What are you talking about? Who is saying that the soul is not part of the source? Everything is part of the source, the source just doesn't depend on it to exist (which still gives unconventional resistance).
No, it's not. Characters just don't care about those aspects and the source can perform the function of those aspects. At this point they should get immunity cause soul and mind is of no consequence to them if you cannot affect the source

No, it's not. Characters just don't care about those aspects and the source can perform the function of those aspects. At this point they should get immunity cause soul and mind is of no
Yes, this was my point, but there were errors in the translations of what I wanted to say, the soul "to be part" I meant that it depends on the source, while the source does not depend on it.

Huh, I hate to be the bearer of bad news for Rimuru supporters, but the first thread where Unconventional Resistance was accepted was based on rimuru which right after was downgraded from Immunity to Unconventional Resistance due to the same reasons. And clearly that thread is still valid since the first 2 points are from the Light Novel, point 3 is actually translated in the Light Novel so no need the MTL and except for the point 4 that has no translation, you didn't even bother to read the old thread to get context...

@Celestial_Pegasus this may concern you like the previous thread, as you also were involved in that thread.

I disagree with this btw, as for totally affected the mind/memories and soul you need to be able to affect the source, that's why it's lie deeper than those 2 so affecting only them will not be the same as affecting them while affecting the source, that's why it's an Unconventional Resistance.

@Elizhaa your input would be welcome as well.

Huh, I hate to be the bearer of bad news for Rimuru supporters, but the first thread where Unconventional Resistance was accepted was based on rimuru which right after was downgraded from Immunity to Unconventional Resistance due to the same reasons. And clearly that thread is still valid since the first 2 points are from the Light Novel, point 3 is actually translated in the Light Novel so no need the MTL and except for the point 4 that has no translation, you didn't even bother to read the old thread to get context...
This isn’t the case, TenSura, in both Web Novel and Light Novel incarnations, is a far more detailed on what that actually entails. For instance, the spiritual body is what records memories to begin with, they aren’t stored in the brain. Those memories are then protected by the soul. This is a repeated sentiment in the light novel, as well, explicitly defining the soul as consciousness itself, and that a sturdy mental resolve can revive all memories. This is proven, as when people are transmigrated between worlds, the soul (if strong enough) protects them from the stress, but if it cannot, it is destroyed, alongside the memories.

In contrast, nothing in the passages from Maou Gakuin actually suggests the memories are even protected inside the soul, it only mentions resurrection. This is just a faulty case of whataboutism, in my view.

Last edited:
So Anos has immunity to soul manipulation and mind manipulation 💀, if the source has no mind or soul, the soul and mind are destroyed together with the body, and Anos is able to stay alive with just the source even if both are destroyed, that's immunity, as Anos survives without any of the 3.

@Dog3352 If all you're going to contribute is to throw shade at me even though I've said in the Order stuff that Law and Concept hax for Order is fine then I'm not going to entertain you beyond this comment, also that's not how immunity works, immunity implies you already lacked those things to begin with so haxing them would be rendered useless as there's nothing to hax.

@Tatsumi504 quote the scan that says the soul is in the source, because that's never once said, it's said the source is deeper than the soul, meaning it's all by itself from the source.

So Anos has immunity to soul manipulation and mind manipulation 💀, if the source has no mind or soul, the soul and mind are destroyed together with the body, and Anos is able to stay alive with just the source even if both are destroyed, that's immunity, as Anos survives without any of the 3.
No, not at all. Mind and soul manip can affect you in other ways than "destroy your soul/mind."

also that's not how immunity works, immunity implies you already lacked those things to begin with so haxing them would be rendered useless as there's nothing to hax.
This is literally the point here 💀, the CRT is the very people who agree with the CRT are saying it has no proof that mind or soul exists within the source, if the CRT is accepted then that means when Anos has only its source , he has neither mind nor body, for both are destroyed.

Last edited:
No, not at all. Mind and soul manip can affect you in other ways than "destroy your soul/mind."
Immunity goes to the source, affecting the mind or soul is useless, as according to the CRT, Anos is able to use spells even if he has neither.
Not sure how exactly it would work with this CRT being accepted, if the body, mind and soul are destroyed, and only the source is left, then Anos is able to survive and use magic even if he doesn't have any of the 3, so that's obviously immunity to source

Last edited:
@Tatsumi504 quote the scan that says the soul is in the source, because that's never once said, it's said the source is deeper than the soul, meaning it's all by itself from the source.
Unfortunately,I'm not the one claiming it is inside the source.
My stance is that characters who have this unconventional resistance are those who have no use for that metaphysical aspect because the source is what matters.
The point is, they're not affected by it. Destroy the mind, soul or both, they will continue to operate unhindered.

I further pointed out that the source is capable of performing the function of the mind & soul. Here are all the scans I've sent in that regard;
Eleonore creating only the thoughts inside the source–the source being separate from and acting as a mind.
"Wh-What is this?! Why is Aske...? Where did you gather all that magic
from?!”
“Thoughts and feelings are grounded in the source. I am Eleonore, the magic
that creates sources.”
“You can’t fool me! No sources are being created anywhere! You and the
ghouls are the only ones here!”
“Making sources here would spell disaster. That’s why I’m only creating the
emotions inside them.”
Zaburo was speechless. His Eyes were wide as he stared into her abyss. “That
can’t be... Creating only the emotions of a source shouldn’t be possible!”
~Light Novel Volume 4, Act 1 Chapter 12​
Anos creating a source with no conciousness (soul)
“I’m sure I destroyed him,” he murmured.
“The
Death Strike Sword was forged after your reincarnation. It should be immune to
Agronemt.”
“What you destroyed was the fake I switched in.”
“A fake? No, I’m sure that was Melheis’s source. I saw it with my own
Eyes,” Zeke muttered, still unable to comprehend the situation.
“You see, I recently learned a new spell. You may even be familiar with it—
you witnessed it yourself over Limnet earlier.”
He gasped in realization.
“Eleonore? No, there’s no way you’d use a new life
as a sacrifice!”
“Of course I wouldn’t go that far. However, I did use the spell to create a
fake source with no consciousness. Although it looked the same, the source was
devoid of life.”
“That can’t be. My Eyes wouldn’t fall for a fake source! The battle wasn’t
even that long ago—you wouldn’t have had any time to research Eleonore’s
uses!”
~Light Novel Volume 4 Act 1, Chapter 15​
A character Ennesuone existing without a conventional soul (note conventional soul not a source soul/ pseudo source)
"This child, Ennesuone, is the new order that Militia has entrusted to me. She must have wished to be born by the authority of Wenzel, the god of birth."
"I'm not certain if it has anything to do with it, but Ennesuone is only born incomplete. There is something she is missing. I am sure that Militia knew what it was. And perhaps--"

"Ennesuone herself must have known it?"

Wenzel nods.

"It was also Ennesuone who knew that you would eventually head for the Azure Sky of the Gods. That would be the word that Militia entrusted to her. If she could be born, even imperfectly, surely she would remember Militia's message perfectly."
-WN Chapter 402.​

"What other reason could there be for Ennesuone not to be born?"

"There is only one left. She was deprived of what she needed to be born."

Wenzel replies.

Hm. I've already heard that. A mindless puppet, a vessel without magic, a soul without a body."
-WN Chapter 403​
God's having no minds

The source having 3 pseudo states. The combination of these is a source with life
Why do you usually only replicate pseudo-origins that have magic, mind, body, one or both?

"... Because if you create the three copies of the source, it will become life with consciousness"
So you've agreed that the source is deeper than and thus separate from mind body and soul.
Characters without minds and characters without a soul exist.
The source has 3 pseudo states (source body, source soul, source mind), the combination of which is a source with life.
This isn’t the case, TenSura, in both Web Novel and Light Novel incarnations, is a far more detailed on what that actually entails. For instance, the spiritual body is what records memories to begin with, they aren’t stored in the brain. Those memories are then protected by the soul. This is a repeated sentiment in the light novel, as well, explicitly defining the soul as consciousness itself, and that a sturdy mental resolve can revive all memories. This is proven, as when people are transmigrated between worlds, the soul (if strong enough) protects them from the stress, but if it cannot, it is destroyed, alongside the memories.

In contrast, nothing in the passages from Maou Gakuin actually suggests the memories are even protected inside the soul, it only mentions resurrection. This is just a faulty case of whataboutism, in my view.
Who is talking about the storing in the soul? So you just basically described the same thing without even knowing the context?

Those who have mastered magic store their memories inside their source, think with only their source, cast magic with only their source.
If you're skilled in source magic, when reincarnating, the new you can inherit all the memories, power and personality of their past lives.

The source flows outside the world as fire see. Anos met two individuals from his own world who had reincarnated in a different world possessing the same memories and personality and looks as their past self.

So what exactly is different?

Who is talking about the storing in the soul? So you just basically described the same thing without even knowing the context?
No, actually, that seems to be the entire premise of Derek’s comment, which you guys based an unconventional resistance off of. I’m talking about the Soul, which would be the Source in MG’s case, which carries memories. They’re the same in this analogy, don’t get caught in my wording.

Those who have mastered magic store their memories inside their source, think with only their source, cast magic with only their source.
If you're skilled in source magic, when reincarnating, the new you can inherit all the memories, power and personality of their past lives.

The source flows outside the world as fire see. Anos met two individuals from his own world who had reincarnated in a different world possessing the same memories and personality and looks as their past self.

So what exactly is different?
Everything, as I mentioned earlier, because it’s never stated anywhere that one can think with their Source, or that the Source even protects those memories, unlike what TenSura repeatedly asserts. All that the source does is keep the memories of one’s life, and exists deeper than the psyche. Nothing that imparts an actual resistance.

With that, count me as a strong agree of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back